Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Mortmal

Arcane
yeah, you either go for a slightly cheaper option and suffer because of almost unusable 64gb capacity, or buy a superior 512gb option. Selling "wrong" and "correct" versions of a hardware is a fucking dumb move.

There is no "wrong" version of the hardware. The main competitor, nintendo switch, is mainly for indies and ps3 era level of nintendo trash "exclusives". With 64gbs, you can get Steam which has far more and superior versions of indies plus you can play all the PS3 and PS4 level of games that are far superior to nintendo trash, more numerable, cheaper, and can work on your main PC as well.

How much internal memory does the Switch have? When people look at 400$ console, they compare to the Switch. What kind of games does the Switch install?

If you need something better, you pay more. If you always had to pay 600$ for the basic model, the general consesus would be "better than Switch but much more expensive, so i went with the Switch".

microsd are slower than NVME.

Oh really? So 100% of PC gamers are running all their games on NVME? You don't say? I am still on HDD and i can run even Cyberpunk 2077 just fine.

Just admit you are a Nintendo Switch fanboi faggot and drop the pretenses.
Agree except on one thing, nintendo exclusives arent trash they are superior to every other AAA consoles games, there's nothing like their zelda breath of the wild , super mario and smash brothers ,or even the nintendo labs the reason alone i own every nintendos .This is clearly a better alternative to xbox and ps5 for sure , portable console with comparable specs and you still can use as a pc.
On the paper i see no flaw ont his, but it could overheat, i have no idea of the screen quality, its obviously not ips, and who knows pads may be drifting too.

ferratilis

Magister
This device might convert some people to Linux (myself included), there are already posts on reddit from people who want to learn more about it before the launch. And existing Linux players are happy because their platform is getting more attention and improvements. They'll even be able to enjoy multiplayer games because anticheat will probably work on Linux. Everybody wins, even that CCP bootlicker Tim Sweeney is happy because his shitty store can be used on Deck. Incline all around, whether you decide to buy the Deck or not.

Xi

Arcane
Hello fellow codexian troglodytes. All your base are belong to... steam deck?

Specs:

Operating System SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
Display 7-inch diagonal, 1200x800 px
Brightness 400 nits
Refresh rate 60hz
Processor AMD APU, Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz
Graphics 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz
Memory 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
Storage 64GB eMMC / 256GB SSD / 512GB SSD
Expandable storage Yes, microSD card slot
Bluetooth Bluetooth 5.0
Wi-Fi Dual-band Wi-Fi radio, 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Headphone jack 3.5mm stereo headphone / headset jack
Charging input 45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
Battery 40Whr battery, 2-8 hours of gameplay
Size 298mm x 117mm x 49mm
Weight 1.47 pounds (669 grams)

It's essentially a paired down Xbox Series S. However, it will run games in a lower resolution, so should technically be able to offer a similar experience with a slower GPU. Interestingly, this is in a 15w package? That's impressive.

Will play both linux and windows games (using Wine equivalent). You can install windows onto it too (for plebs).

Thoughts?

One last note, I can see this scaling up with 5nm and 3nm. By then 1080P should be done easily. Plus, AMD DLSS equivalent probably would work well here.

Mortmal

Arcane
Guys remember when Valve made games?
Half life alyx, th vr killer app.

I mean good ones.
You are right its not just good , its breathtaking an unique awesome experience in VR, its far beyond good. One of the rare few things able to amaze me, like the technological jump going from my c64 to the amiga or going from floppy to cd rom kind of amazement.Everyone who tried it feels like really being in this universe.

schru

Arcane
Is that supposed to be Mossman and Alyx?

It is a recreation of the "it's a unix system, i know this!" scene from Jurassic Park. Not sure who (or if) the two characters are supposed to be in the Valve universe :-P
I see, thanks. I found the original scene. Seeing as they replaced the man in the photo with the G-Man, I don't see why the other two wouldn't be Mossman and Alyx. Seems like a scene Laidlaw alluded to in his ‘Epistle 3’.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Switch has optimized install sizes for its memory size. Steam deck uses pc installs, so they are huge. Not only that, but switch is a lot cheaper and has oled.

HAAHAHAHAH. Yeah, amazing speeds. Steam deck only supports UHS-I, meaning max read speed is 104 MByte/s.:lol::lol::lol: And ps4 has like 80-100 mb/s. So basically things load almost slow as ps4. Yeah..really fun watching 30-45 sec loading screen. Well, atleast this has better cpu, so it should load slightly faster.

It is extremely easy to serve modified installs for the Deck through the client. All they need is a flag to signify it is the console, and when you click install it sends the modified version. Steam already does it for 3 platforms, Windows, Mac, and Linux, it is extremely easy to add a 4th. But a nintendo cuck like you wouldn't know about that.

As for the read speed, yes, cpu cores are more important than SD speed. Problem with the PS4 was the limited RAM and the slow cores.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It don't think it's correct to compare GDDR5 from PS4 and LPDDR5 from Steam Deck. The first one it still a lot faster and used mostly in GPUs.

Yes, but GDDR5 speed is very slow for cpus due to high latency, especially jaguar cores due to shitty memory controller and low cache. And a 800p machine does not need such high bandwidth anyway, lower resolution textures, lower filtering, lower resolution in general, means less need for memory bandwidth.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
nintendo exclusives arent trash they are superior to every other AAA consoles games, there's nothing like their zelda breath of the wild , super mario and smash brothers ,or even the nintendo labs the reason alone i own every nintendos

Those game are filthy trash. Breath of the Wild is an Ubisoft open world PS3 era wannabe with zelda characters, super mario has been stagnant for 2 decades and smash brothers? Seriously?

I bet once the emulators mature, the deck could emulate the Switch, so you could play those shit you love so much anyway.

ADL

Prophet
64GB+SD card might actually be viable. Obviously it's less optimal but seems pretty far ahead of HDDs but behind SSDs in load times.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Loading times are not that important. It is not like the Steam Deck runs on CDs, for fuck sake. It has strong cores, plenty of ram, and SSD+microSD storage. It is going to be more than adequate. Yes, this won't compete with a 10k alienware, no shit sherlock.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't get the bitching about the base model. You don't have to buy it if you really hate the idea of a little slower loading from SD cards, the SSD models are reasonably priced too. How about a reality check and look at the cost of various PC gaming laptops ? Which one can even be compared to the most expensive Valve Deck under the $1000 mark?

And the smaller you look for in terms of device form factor the worse the price/performance ratio gets skewed. Look at newer GPD wins. There's $1200+ computers like the Deck out there that don't even have a decent integrated GPU. Intel GPU? Seriously? Who the fuck spends $1200 to get an intel GPU gaming machine. GTFO.

The Valve deck is the first time in history where you can get a handheld gaming PC that doesn't fistfuck you without vaseline. Whether it becomes commercial success or not, at least that niche is finally served with something that doesn't belong to the trash can.

I still remember Intel asking for more than a grand for a shitty intel nuc with AMD gpu with their last skull nuc thingy. Those things have neither controllers, nor screens nor batteries. Yet they're essentially portable hardware (laptop ram, laptop grade cpu etc) sold without the laptop parts for a premium price. This is what you call being fucked in the ass.

Finally small form factor types aren't being sold dogshit for the price of gold. Thank fuck.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Finally got the 512GB NVMe model pre-ordered. Fucking hell that was miserable.

Edit: Got the confirmation email
DAq7Hfn.png

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
nintendo exclusives arent trash they are superior to every other AAA consoles games, there's nothing like their zelda breath of the wild , super mario and smash brothers ,or even the nintendo labs the reason alone i own every nintendos

Those game are filthy trash. Breath of the Wild is an Ubisoft open world PS3 era wannabe with zelda characters, super mario has been stagnant for 2 decades and smash brothers? Seriously?

I bet once the emulators mature, the deck could emulate the Switch, so you could play those shit you love so much anyway.
There's nothing else like nintendo high quality standard, ubisoft tried to copy them with gods and monsters but its not any close as good, supermario is as innovative as ever , and smash brothers? its like playing those arcade fighting games while having the same drugs fluent is having at breakfast, unique and fun experience. You should be more interested into quality gaming than upholding the codex retard title, even if 2021 will be tough competition .

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
64GB+SD card might actually be viable. Obviously it's less optimal but seems pretty far ahead of HDDs but behind SSDs in load times.

So unless you get a noname Chinese SD card, you are not much worse than then loading from the internal memory. Cool.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
There's nothing else like nintendo high quality standard, ubisoft tried to copy them with gods and monsters but its not any close as good, supermario is as innovative as ever , and smash brothers? its like playing those arcade fighting games while having the same drugs fluent is having at breakfast, unique and fun experience. You should be more interested into quality gaming than upholding the codex retard title, even if 2021 will be tough competition .

If Nintendo is what is considered "quality gaming", i quit gaming for good. You need to have extreme levels of homosexuality to play Nintendo games as an adult.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

If Nintendo is what is considered "quality gaming", i quit gaming for good. You need to have extreme levels of homosexuality to play Nintendo games as an adult.

16853.jpg

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Put in a reservation for the 512GB model because why not. If I change my mind I can still cancel the reservation.
Mostly did it because I'm very excited for the implications this might have for increased adoption of linux in the gaming sphere IF it's succesful. I'm just about done with M$ and their bullshit, so the time for some competition to step up is overdue.
The fact it's literally just an arch distro on a portable mid range PC seems like a really nice prospect, what can I say?

Villagkouras

Arcane
The only thing I find a bit low is battery.

Other than that, it seems great for its price.

Of course, I'll let people try it first and then probably buy it.

If we connect it on TV, would it be able to support 1080p?

How about mouse movement on countless games that need it?

ADL

Prophet
How about mouse movement on countless games that need it?
That's the purpose of the touchpads. Based on my experience with the Steam Controller, the touchpads unlock entire genres that would otherwise be completely unplayable on a controller and once you get used to them it's awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom