Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Astral Rag

Arcane
quaddictedrquc8.png

:negative:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
ARMA 3 is next. Devs announced it like half a year ago. It's maybe the reason why they were forced to launch only through Steam. But it is debatable in this case-community does some high quality mods/units/total conversions/whatever and some of them change the whole gameplay (and fix the fuckin game). And devs kind of made community produce high quality mods with their incentive "Make Arma Not War". They also said to be preparing DLC with best community mods. So paid mods are coming, hopefully with donate button instead of buy. Can't decide if incline or decline in this case.

They already have in-game ads

47F38033180C2BF691FBBE41962973F96727AC92

omega21

Arcane
No thanks, I can literally download bipodded weapons and helicopters, this is only for people who play vanilla arma 3.

The ingame ads are obnoxious as shit, Payday 2 has them too.

mastroego

Arcane
Well at the end of the day, they can do whatever the hell they want with mods.
As long as they're free I might use them, when they're not, SAYONARA.

If other users are dumb enough to pay for them, then they deserve to be be taken advantage of.

omega21

Arcane
When and how often does these ads pop up? Never heard of them before

They popped up because I've used a dlc weapon or bi-pods in some custom mission i think.

I see. So they made the game so you could play with people who have this dlc, but you get spammed by ads of you use any of the equipment? :?

Something like that, I'm not sure how the permissions work for A3. I also think you can't create missions with the DLC equipment with them unless you own it, but if someone else places the weapon down you are able to use it.

Gozma

Arcane
I don't think Beth games are meant to be like that. Open world games in general can't truly draw you in like that, because the story is always an unfocused mess. They are hiking 'I want to be a dragon hero, cowboy, gangster whatever the fuck else simulators. Doesn't mean they aren't fun or good for what they are. Immersion occurs when there is lots of little details, the world and your actions in it seem reasonable and the NPC talk more or less like people not quest givers.

Only open world game that's ever fully 'immersed' me is Gothic 2 and you could probably argue that it's not really an open world game at all, at least not the same way F:NV or Scrolls games are.

Maybe it's easier for people who don't read a lot of fantasy or sci fi and the dialog of Scrolls games seems fine to them. And the dungeons don't feel gamey.... For me though it's just a way to see some pretty graphics and kill some dragons while wearing viking armor. If I want immersion I play isometric games, or adventure games.

My explanation for Bethesda is that some large subset of people are into non-dissociative immersion. The dissociation feeling is that thing where you could be playing a game, or reading a book or listening to music or many other things and you're so deep into it that your mind essentially goes out of your body. You could be in a hospital bed after a surgery and forget that you're in pain, or you could let your cooking burn even though your body can smell the smoke, or whatever. I used to think that was what people were talking about when they'd say "immersive" - and of course I didn't get exactly how Deus Ex was supposed to be immersive, but Civilization isn't.

I was leading up to saying what I think immersion actually is but I don't think I ever really figured it out. I somewhat think it's the feeling that you're "really there". Except regular people don't do stuff like take a room in their home to rig up as their flight sim cave with elaborate displays and force feedback controls.

Maybe it's just the seductive suggestion that you're "really there", hoping you're too dim to get that being a floating camera moving around a CAD environment getting behavioral rewards isn't simulating something.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Something I dug up by accident by browsing the Top 10 Infamous WADS list.

Seems that "talks" similar to this one took place roughly 20 years ago.

Doomworld said:
Evilution, as many Doomers know, was a TeamTNT creation which was postponed a scant few hours before its scheduled release when John Romero emailed the authors asking about a publishing deal. TeamTNT said yes, and one-half of Final Doom was instantly born. What most of them don't know, however, was the controversy that swelled up following this announcement. In late 1995, the hub of Doom discussion was on the Usenet newsgroups, and a quick traipse through Google shows that after the "PR coordinator" for TeamTNT released the news that Evilution was postponed and possibly to be commercialized, a massive flamewar broke loose. The online Doom community was fairly small compared to the game communities of today, and the posts that followed showed Doomers splitting into two camps: those who were delighted that amateur WAD authors were going pro, and those who derided the group as "sellouts" and "liars." The controversy quickly died down, but the scars still remain. (Not really.)

That last "Not really" is the icing on the cake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-talks-skyrims-paid-mods-controversy/1100-6428952/

Bethesda Talks Skyrim's Paid Mods Controversy
"It was an idea we worked on with those guys for Skyrim; it didn't pan out."

In April, Bethesda and Valve teamed up for what sounded like an exciting new feature for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that would allow modders to sell their creations. While some sung the praises of this new system, others voiced their discontent. Just days after paid mods were introduced to the Skyrim Workshop, Valvepulled them down, saying in a statement, "It's become clear we didn't know exactly what we were doing."

Now, Bethesda's Pete Hines, whom you may remember as the featured speaker at the company's first-ever E3 event last month, has shed new light on the situation and what the publisher might do next. Hines would like to see paid mods return, but stopped short of making any promises.

"I think our stance on it is we're going to re-evaluate it going forward," Hines said. "I think that we feel like there is a case to be made that people who spend a lot of time working on mods ought to be able to have a way of monetizing what they're doing.

"Certainly some of the folks that we talked to were very interested in and supportive of the idea," he added. "We had creators who said, 'I've been asking for donations for years and never saw anything, and I made more in one day.' So why would I not support that?"

One of the issues that some brought up around the Skyrim paid mod system is that creators aren't paid enough. As part of the now-scrapped plan, the breakdown for mod revenue looked like this:
  • Bethesda - 45 percent
  • Valve - 30 percent
  • Modders - 25 percent
"Is this the right split? There are valid arguments for it being more, less, or the same," Bethesda said back in April. "It is the current industry standard, having been successful in both paid and free games. After much consultation and research with Valve, we decided it's the best place to start."

Hines told us that, if the paid mod system does return, Bethesda would still expect to get a cut of the revenue-- even if the percentage might change.

"It's sort of like having the world's largest ball of yarn and deciding you're going to unravel it" -- Hines

"Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that," he said.

Back in April, Bethesda pointed out that 25 percent has been the standard cut for modders since the Steam Workshop opened its storefront years ago. In fact, the entire Steam Workshop community has together made $57 million since 2011 at the 25 percent rate.

Overall, Hines used a ball of yarn analogy to describe the reaction to Skyrim's failed paid mod system.

"It's sort of like having the world's largest ball of yarn and deciding you're going to unravel it," he said. "Everything is so tied together that in some ways it's almost impossible to do.

"I honestly, genuinely, don't know what it means for the future. It was an idea we worked on with those guys for Skyrim; it didn't pan out. It came back down."

Wrapping up our interview, Hines said you shouldn't expect to see Skyrim's paid mod system return anytime soon. That's in part because Bethesda has a little project you may have heard of called Fallout 4keeping the developer busy ahead of its November release date.

"Honestly, [we have] bigger fish to fry right now than sorting that out."

Fallout 4 is making new strides as it relates to mods. Bethesda and Microsoft have teamed up to bring PCmods for the post-apocalyptic RPG to Xbox One. This isn't happening soon, though. Mod tools for the PC edition won't roll out until 2016, with the mods themselves coming to Xbox One (and eventually PlayStation 4) sometime later.

Atchodas

Augur
That is an assumption game devs and publishers take for granted for last 10 Years . Majority of gaming community are retards , no secret here .

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
"Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that," he said.

Christ, fuck off with that. You get your cut when everyone who wants to run the mod buys your fucking game. You didn't put in any extra effort to make the mod.
The incredible grasping greed of these people who now want to make money off the free marketing other people do for their game.

mastroego

Arcane
Christ, fuck off with that. You get your cut when everyone who wants to run the mod buys your fucking game. You didn't put in any extra effort to make the mod.
The incredible grasping greed of these people who now want to make money off the free marketing other people do for their game.

It's only as incredible as the retardation of those users who even entertained the idea of paying moneyz for a mod.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's coming out for Fallout 4..

They are just gonna cherry pick the best mods and sell them to console players. Might as well milk the plebbian slaves.. I mean shit they were dumb enough to buy an x-box that was literally going to have always online DRM and a One install per game limitation.

Anyone dumb enough to pay for that will gladly pay 5 bucks for a retexture - fucking idiots.

EDIT

Regardless - We won't know until the game is out and past the refund date on steam. They would never take on the PR nightmare of this shit. So they continue to give wishy washy replies.

SPIEGEL ONLINE : In the Microsoft press conference was announced that created by PC Fan extensions to run on the Xbox One. If you have to pay for some mods? In "Skyrim" Bethesda has experimented with a Mod-payment option , which was withdrawn after fan protests.

Howard : How long was the online payment system? 24 Hours? I can only speak for the present time, but currently there are no plans for a payment system.

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/fallout-4-interview-mit-entwickler-todd-howard-a-1039395.html

Don't lie you fucking Cuck - I bet Zenimax is salivating at the idea of pulling that new revenue stream. As soon as this game launches and the hype train crashes - your gonna roll this shit out unapologetically.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that.
:lol:
I just love that line, especially how nonchalant it sounds in my head.
Imagine if it worked like that in any other industry.
"Hey car mechanic, remember that piece of shit car you fixed. We made that piece of junk, where's our share?"
"Hey carpenter, remember that shitty chair you fixed? Yea, the one that immediately broke. We made that. Where's our cut?"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Here is a fixed version of the press release/news article, courtesy of yours truly.

Bethesda Talks Skyrim's Paid Mods Controversy
"It was an idea we worked on with those guys for cashing in on mods. Although mods are solely responsible for skyrocketing our otherwise mediocre shovelware to superstardom, and at absolutely no cost to us whatsoever, we wanted more. For some reason, people reacted badly."

In April, Bethesda and Valve teamed up for what sounded like an exciting new revenue stream from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim—one that would allow Bethesda to fulfill the dream of awarding themselves funds to which they've decided they're entitled. While some nitwits sung the praises of this new system, as they always do no matter what the circumstances, it turns out that not everyone is an idiot. Just days after paid mods were introduced to the Skyrim Workshop, Valve pulled them down, saying in a statement: "It's become clear that many people aren't quite as idiotic as our models had predicted."

Now, Bethesda's Pete Hines, whom you may remember as the featured speaker at the company's first-ever E3 event last month, has shed new light on the situation and what the publisher might do next. Hines would like to see paid mods return, but stopped short of making any promises, thereby very subtly and cleverly implying that paid mods are a net positive for all and quite desirable indeed.

"I think our stance on it is we're going to make it happen, and ultimately, you can all go fuck yourselves," Hines said. "I think that we feel like there is a case to be made that people who spend a lot of time working on mods ought to make us even more money than they already have been for over a decade by propping up our shitty games.

"Certainly some of the folks that we talked to (largely our board of directors and private investors) were very interested in and supportive of the idea," he added. "We had executives who said, 'I'd been wanting a piece of those mods for years, hadn't seen a dime of it, but when paid mods got the go-ahead, our monthly earnings spiked considerably. We all awarded ourselves additional corporate bonuses for this fiscal year. It was great!'"

One of the issues that some brought up around the Skyrim paid mod system is that creators aren't paid enough. As part of the now-scrapped plan, the breakdown for mod revenue looked like this:
  • Bethesda - 45 percent
  • Valve - 30 percent
  • Modders - 25 percent
"Is this the right split? There are valid arguments for it being more, less, or the same," Bethesda said back in April. "Obviously, we'd like it to be more, say for example 80% to Bethesda, 15% to Valve, and 5% to modders. It is the current industry standard, if taking into account 99-cent mobile games et al.; therefore, after much consultation and research with Valve, we decided to hide behind 'industry standard' as our justification for taking a huge slice of the pie."

Hines told us that, if the paid mod system does return, Bethesda would still expect to get a cut of the revenue-- even if the percentage might change.

"It's sort of like having the world's largest ball of yarn and deciding you're going to unravel it" -- Hines

"Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for, so GIVE US MONEY, YOU FUCKS. YOU FUCKING PUKES! I WORK FOR BETHESDA FUCKING SOFTWORKS! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? WHO IN THE FUCK ARE YOU? WE INVENTED FALLOUT!' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that," he said.

*snip*

Jigawatt

Arcane
Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that.
:lol:
I just love that line, especially how nonchalant it sounds in my head.
Imagine if it worked like that in any other industry.
"Hey car mechanic, remember that piece of shit car you fixed. We made that piece of junk, where's our share?"
"Hey carpenter, remember that shitty chair you fixed? Yea, the one that immediately broke. We made that. Where's our cut?"
It doesn't even work in this industry. What's Microsoft's cut for making Windows? Don't ATI and nVidia deserve a bit of sugar out of each Skyrim sale as well?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
It doesn't even work in this industry. What's Microsoft's cut for making Windows? Don't ATI and nVidia deserve a bit of sugar out of each Skyrim sale as well?

Microsoft are too old skool. This is exactly how it works with Apple. Every hardware and software vendor, Apple want their vig. Scumbag gangsters that they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom