Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Storytelling Bioware-style

My problem with Morrowind's plot was that there was no payoff at the end of it. I realize that in a game as open-ended as Morrowind's supposed to be, they can't have such a complete and total payoff that playing beyond the end of the game becomes lame (a la fallout 2), but come on. It was actually a reasonable story if you followed it closely enough, but that last bit... I ran around the path looking for the way to the stone, He jumped off the bloody side and into the lava pit... whack whack whack and BAM! That's it. It was just disappointingly easy for one thing, the final confrontation, and it didn't live up to any of the potential that I thought it might have had. Given the history of the four involved, I was thinking that there might have been a chance to side with one or the other faction, but in the end it was just a straight up "I must killz you!". No remorse, no redemption, nothing that would've added a bit of depth to the villain's character... depth that was implied all throughout the game up to that point. Being Nerevarine just meant Killing the Foozle at the end of the day; no exploration of the theme of reincarnation, or anything thing else they introduced within the actual story. Boom. You're dead, I win. Yay me.

Nope. My beef with the plotline wasn't that it was Linear in a Continuous World. It's just that the ending fizzled completely. Tribunal's ending was a bit better... haven't fininshed Bloodmoon yet, so I can't comment on that at all.

Regarding the nature of linearity and roleplaying.. it's a tough call for me, which style I prefer. Bioware's roleplaying tends to be forced, in that outside of how you level up your character(s), they like to keep the player in line. Plot Doors will be locked and unpickable and unopenable so you don't enter the wrong area or get the wrong item at the wrong time, and things are pretty well force-fed to you. Pretty much all of the variability in the plot comes through dialogue: If you're a wizard, you might be given a dialogue option to try and put the Ogre Guard asleep, but if you try to actually do it he'll just become hostile. If your character's a diplomatic type but they forgot to put in an option to persuade a certain foe, you're just out of luck. Their game worlds haven't been deep enough to support anything they haven't explicitly thought of.

The freeform sort of roleplaying offers more choice in this regard (ie. if I know there's a certain key in a certain house, I could try and steal it, or I could barge in and kill the inhabitants and take it; it gives you more of an opportunity to play the character you envisioned at startup by not forcing you to take the "Good But Clueless" or "Mass Murdering Psycho" dialogue options), but Morrowind's NPCs and level advancement left that game feeling lifeless. The Hive Mind syndrome they were all afflicted with just didn't do anything for me, and the leveling up led all characters to the same style of gameplay, no matter where you started out (I was a "mage", but the problem with that was that you couldn't actually kill the higher level creatures with magic. They were too strong, and the costs were too high).

IMO, both developers could stand to move in the direction of the other. Bioware needs to release the iron grip they've put around the players' neck and offload some of their roleplaying options onto the players instead of their scripters, and Bethesda needs a stronger emphasis on characters and story within their vast and beautiful worlds... to give the place a sense of life, instead of the MMORPG deadness that seemed to characterize Morrowind (oh, and they could do with a good combat system as well).

As to which style I prefer... depends on which game I've played last. If it's a Bioware Herd-Me-Along-the Path adventure, I'd say freeform. If it was Morrowind or Daggerfall, I'd say the more story-driven style. *shrugs* Bioware's BG1 most closely approched my ideal blend of the two, outside of the Fallouts or Ultimas, but even between those games my preferences vary depending on which day of the week it is.

RGE

Liturgist
Mithter Thibbs said:
If your character's a diplomatic type but they forgot to put in an option to persuade a certain foe, you're just out of luck.
Fallout had that too, so that's where I think Arcanum shines. All the skills in that game had an everyday use of some sort.

Sarvis

Erudite
triCritical said:
I don\'t really like the dudes use of nonlinear. I think as far as choices are concerned, its not really non-linear, rather two different linear paths, which for the most part are the same. Furthermore, Its not enough to create multiple hubs and then allow freedom in the order you do things, and call it non-linearity.

Except that that's what it is. Instead of having to do things in a specific order you do them in whatever order you want. Sure, they pretty much tell you everything you have to do and make it so you have to do everything before moving on... but that's why he said it was _guided_ non-linearity.

I have also never seen a non-linear CRPG wihout guidance, which sort of makes that feature pointless as well. But pehap the necessity for Bioware to make you feel as if you fulfilling some dream, is what makes their stories so damn lame.

Without guidance. Well, you know when I gave up on Fallout? When I was supposed to go find out what was happening to the caravans. You know why? Because no one could point me in even a general direction as to where I should look. I really didn't want to face the tediousness of searching the entire world map, when the least they could hav edone is tell me the last caravan disappeared at point A so maybe you should start looking there.

Too little guidance. It's the same basic problem whenever I played a NWN module that was billed as non-linear, there was never any way to know what you should do next.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
You didn't look hard enough and didn't talk too much; that's it, imo. There was a sufficient amount of clues. I completed the quest the first time I played the game.
You can't expect that the game will hold your hand all the time.

Sarvis

Erudite
Elwro said:
You didn't look hard enough and didn't talk too much; that's it, imo. There was a sufficient amount of clues. I completed the quest the first time I played the game.
You can't expect that the game will hold your hand all the time.

Uh-huh. I talked to a lot of people, and was getting sick of it considering the clunky dialog interface and lackluster writing. Not to mention the lack of any journal system makes it hard to remember what's going on when you only play every couple days, so maybe someone did say something about where it happened but I forgot and can't get them to say it again.

Also, there is a huge difference between holding your hand and giving an actual clue.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
and RPG should have a main story arc that you can fuck up or destroy and enough stuff on the side to let you ignore it for a good while.

MarFish

Liturgist
I share the gripes many people here have with Morrowind - as with a good book, you expect a conclusion and satisfying ending - Morrowind couldn't offer that.

Same gripe with KotOR 2, for different reasons we all know.

Plus, you have to acknowledge that Bioware are masters of presentation - helll, this nearly made be cave in and buy an Xbox: http://jade.bioware.com/?linkgo=1&linkID=1831 (click on story)

Edit: doesn't seem to work with Firefox.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, I've been sold on JE. It's too bad JE won't be sold to me as I have no xbox. LOL I bet this so called action RPG is gonna CRUSH KOTOR in every single way managable from role-playing to combat to story! KOTOR wins by default though since it's on PC.

Those video previews of Jade (trailers or otherwise) are simply awesome.

Jade > KOTOR

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Didn't they say they were considering porting the game to PC?"

Considering; yes. But, accoridng to BIo, they arne't even thinking about it really right now let alone doing work on its conversion. That means, it could be a good year + minimum before it even shows up on PC after the x-box release next month. Also, remmeber, that unlike KOTOR, JE's engine and everything about it is geared to the x-box alone which probably means massive redesigns to make it work on PC.... By the time it reaches PC, it'll likely be old news and games like NWN2, DA, and who knows what else will be making their way to market.

MarFish

Liturgist
Killzig said:
works just fine on my copy of firefox, your flash plugins up to date?

turns out I ad-blocked it by accident.

I really hope for a PC version of this game, not sure about how well combat would play, but still, there isn't a decent story driven RPG in sight for this year.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sigh. It'd be really nice if they ported Jade Empire sometime this year, but I'd much rather play Dragon Age before anything else, really.

DorrieB

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I think the OC's story's 'crappiness' is overrated.

I first found RPG Codex searching for 'I hate Neverwinter Nights', because I hated it so much, and it disappointed me so, and I wanted to know that I wasn't alone.

The story wasn't bad, actually, if you took it away from the context. The problem is that it wasn't a story that was anything to do with ME, and there was nothing for my character to do that had any bearing on it.

Aribeth: You must find the Waterdevian creatures!

Me: Why? Why would I?

Aribeth: I'm a beautiful elf with jiggly tits, isn't that enough?

Me: Actually, no.

Aribeth: We'll pay you money, if you want to be evil about it.

Me: Look, I'll do you a favour. That Desther guy you don't like? He's behind the plague. Arrest him and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Aribeth: That's not an option.

Me: Okay, I found one of your creatures, and there was nothing for me to do but fight an endless horde of enemies. My high Charisma, my sneaking skills, my lockpicking, all useless.

Aribeth: Why don't you hire a henchman? Daelan Red-Tiger is a good warrior type.

Me: Here's a thought, why don't YOU hire Daelan and the others and they can run your errands instead, since they are obviously better suited for the job than I am?

Aribeth: No, no. You are the only one who can do this, because... um, have you noticed my jiggly tits?

Me: I thought I was the heroine in this tale. I'm just a cypher! Nothing of what is going on has anything to do with me, and I don't get to make any relevant decisions! It's all 'do this, then do that, now fight these people, then fight those people', and Daelan Red-Tiger is doing most of the fighting anyway!

Arin Ghand: Hi, I'm your romantic interest. I will not be affected by your actions in any way. Now go fight some more people and bring us another watchamacguffin. Do it for Neverwinter, or do it for me, or do it for some money, if you're really evil.

Oh, I finished it, all right. The expansions may be wonderful, for all I know; I never got any of them. I wasn't in a hurry to repeat a tedious experience. I'll probably buy NWN2, if only because I sort of trust the people involved in making it, but I'd be daft to buy another game from the same people who made the first one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh, I finished it, all right"

You finsihed it. You didn't hate it. Stop lying.

Spazmo

Erudite
Sarvis said:
Without guidance. Well, you know when I gave up on Fallout? When I was supposed to go find out what was happening to the caravans.

If you'd explored the Hub at all, you'd have talked to Becky the gun merchant and known that she's a big 'ol gossiper. So you'd probably have asked her about the deathclaw. She'd have told you to go ask Harold. Harold would tell you to see Uncle Slappy. Deathclaw. Don't blame the game because you're a muffinhead.

MarFish

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Yes, I've been sold on JE. It's too bad JE won't be sold to me as I have no xbox. LOL I bet this so called action RPG is gonna CRUSH KOTOR in every single way managable from role-playing to combat to story! KOTOR wins by default though since it's on PC.

Those video previews of Jade (trailers or otherwise) are simply awesome.

Jade > KOTOR

I think their new Jade website with the videos perfectly highlights why Bioware is where they are now and some other companies aren't. I have never been so close to impulse buying a game and the required game system before. And yes, I think it's going to blow KotOR out of the water, quality wise - as for sales, we'll see just how much the StarWars label is worth these days, KotOR 2 certainly sells like hot crack cake.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I have never been so close to impulse buying a game and the required game system before."

Yeah, me too. Sadly, I didn't find a reasonable price for the x-box. I'll just have to rent the game since I know someone I can borrow the x-box off of for a few days. Too bad though; because if JE is as good as I think it'll be; it be worthy of a full purchase.

The graphics, and overall atmopshere make the game already for me. And, the combat is deceptively simple yet not shallow. Not bad for RT combat.

And, if you've read some of the examples of the quests and their possible solutions in this game the role-playing is gonna squash KOTOR big time.

As for sales, I doubt it'll sell as much as KOTOR espicially since it is rated Mature.

Sarvis

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Sarvis said:
Without guidance. Well, you know when I gave up on Fallout? When I was supposed to go find out what was happening to the caravans.

If you'd explored the Hub at all, you'd have talked to Becky the gun merchant and known that she's a big 'ol gossiper. So you'd probably have asked her about the deathclaw. She'd have told you to go ask Harold. Harold would tell you to see Uncle Slappy. Deathclaw. Don't blame the game because you're a muffinhead.

Bah... my bad. Not sure how I missed that... I DID talk to Beth about the Deathclaw, even before taking on the mission I think. Which is odd, because I just ran a newly created character over there and couldn't get her to talk about the caravans at all until I took the quest...

dunduks

Liturgist
MarFish said:
I have never been so close to impulse buying a game and the required game system before.
The only game that makes me drool and consider the possibility of buying PS2 is Devil May Cry 3, but that just might be cuz I'm a sucker for fighting games. I hope that JE will be released on PC (and I think that it is entirely possible), but its not enought for buying XBox.

Saran

Scholar
Hmmm, the way i see it fallout had the world while BG had the story.

In Fallout you felt as if there was a whole fight for survival going on around you, you were just an insignificant speck trying to get a waterchip for your vault, meanwhile all of the big boys used you to as a merc.

In Baldurs Gate the world revolved a lot more around you, everything that happened was due to you and the other children of Bhaal manipulating the world around you to suit your own needs.

That is what i see as the major difference, and its also why i pray for a game that combines both, one in which you feel as if your are making a mark on the world yet you dont feel as if your are "T3h M4n F4ggz0rz!"

Morrowind did indeed fizzle out, but i have to say that i consider it a fallout style game, by that i mean its the setting that is the most important factor in the game, however they screwed it up with the admittedly shitty and cliche "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!!!!!" story, but fuck it, while its has been done better most games revolve around that basic premise anyways.

Ohhh, and this jade empire, whats it like, so far i havent really bothered with it since it comes across as another game for those japanophile weirdos?

By that i mean does it have a decent story and setting, or is it just a shitty angsty "OHH i wish bug eyed, purple haired sonya would love me, she is so kawaii, KEKEKEKEKEKEKE!"
with the combat revolving around twelve hour long gloating matches with severe homo-erotic undertones ala dragonball z?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Ohhh, and this jade empire, whats it like, so far i havent really bothered with it since it comes across as another game for those japanophile weirdos?"

It's a RPG with RT combat. It has dialogue skills, likely has meaningful choices, followers, kung fu fighting, pretty graphics, and good music.

Story wise we do not know since very few story details have been released.

If you like BIO games chances are one will like it.

If you dislike BIO games chances are you will dislike it.

If you are a RPGCodex Bigwig tm you probably gonna bitch about it regardless.

Saran

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Ohhh, and this jade empire, whats it like, so far i havent really bothered with it since it comes across as another game for those japanophile weirdos?"

It's a RPG with RT combat. It has dialogue skills, likely has meaningful choices, followers, kung fu fighting, pretty graphics, and good music.

Story wise we do not know sinc every few story details have been released.

If you like BIO games chances are one will like it.

If you dislike BIO games chances are you will dislike it.

If you are a RPGCodex Bigwig tm you probably gonna bitch about it regardless.

:lol:

Fair enough, i might give it a try, one of the things that a Console has over a PC is the ability to rent out a game before you buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom