Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Storytelling Bioware-style

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Way to go,Marfish, you must take cunt classes to take offence at Mr Atlantics wonderings.

Im grumpy and have been drinking (again).
So I just want to say: fuck off Marfish

There, I said it. I feel better now. Apolgies to the offended.

MarFish

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Way to go,Marfish, you must take cunt classes to take offence at Mr Atlantics wonderings.

Not getting enough sex RL, eh?

Deathboy

Liturgist
MarFish said:
Shagnak said:

Not getting enough sex RL, eh?
I would call you an egg but eggs get laid.....

Hey sub egg

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Saran said:
Is it some sort of a mod, or do i need to mess around with the games files?

Use the bg1tutu mod.

Available from here.
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index. ... &Itemid=98

Its pretty good, and has other mods written specifically to fit with it
There is some mild mucking around. I tried it a while ago, and don't remember any major hassle, just some basic notepad editing and an auto-conversion process.
I used BG trilogy it's a bigger down load but has a cut sceane between BG1 & BG2

Deathboy

Liturgist
As has just been pointed out to me you need a mate with a high speed conection to down load it :D

Saran

Scholar
Deathboy said:
I used BG trilogy it's a bigger down load but has a cut sceane between BG1 & BG2

Apart from the cutscene are there any other major differences?

So far i havent had the time needed to install BG2 and to use the Tutu mod but from what Ive seen it appears that if i want to play BG2 after i finish BG1 i will have to uninstall and reinstall the whole game, does this BG Trilogy mod allow you to continue without the need to reinstall BG2?

Deathboy

Liturgist
BG Trilogy installs the BG1 files in your BG2 directory without over writing anything so you can play all the way through without uninstalling

Saran

Scholar
In that case I'll probably use that one instead.

Thanks Deathboy.

Edit: hmmm, so much for that, it was around 600 megs in size, my modem would have a shit attack if i tried to download that, looks like Tutu is the way to go.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Great Atlantic is a doo doo head, and here's why:

"However, Jade Empire is billed as an action RPG."

Wrong, idiot. It's being billed by Bioware as a RPG with RT combat. Guess what? Just like your precious Vampire; but hopefully JE will actually have good combat.

"Quantity in no way reflects quality."

True.

"I also think there will be dialogue choices, just not in a great supply or a focus of the game. I'm expecting a lot of cut scenes, too, which eat into the word count with out giving any real dialogue choice."

It's likely to have more role-playing than any other BIO game to date. For one thing, it has more than 2 endings, it has three dilaogue skills, and eveyrthing else one cpould ask for in a RPG. Don't go in expecting a FO type role-playing experience though; expect a BIO RPG experience. If you hate those kinds of RPGs; don't buy or rent it.

"Hmmm... I didn't think there were any female PCs in this game, just a few female NPCs who could join your party.
Youa re an idiot. The player makes his characters. The *only* thing the so called pre made character accomplish is give you your model. There are at least 6 (3 male, 3 female). Though; the 6 models come with pre set stats you can change them in any wya you want. There are NO pre made characters; just example characters.

"I was under the impression the game revolved around one character with a bunch of mysterious tatoos on his back with "secret meaning"."

A. Idiot. Not all the models have tattos, I don't think. The reason why BIO has chosen to limit character mdoels is simply so they can use the mdoels in special FMVs. And, oh, I doubt the number of FMVs will even come close to the FF level.

B. The story is not like that. The PC starts off at a Martial Arts School as a student in a small village when it attacks. Supposedly, the only thing about the story that is revealed is that the inhabitants of the 'Ghost World' (I can't think of the actual name for it) have some how 'crossed over' to the Real World. It also has something to do with the Emperor of the Jade Empire and his main bodyguard Death's Hand. Yes, the PC will be important; but duh; that's always the case.

"As for character customization, I'm under the impression you only get to choose what fighting styles you know. That means no persuasion feat, no barter, no locking picking, just new fighting styles."

Hahahahahaha. There are three persuasion skills. When you level you can choose to raise your abilities and level up your fighting styles. No lock picking skills I don't think; though.

"Thus, why this game will succeed with its combat or fail with it. "

Like any rpg; the game will succeed or fail on many factors including story, characters, quality of role-playing, and combat being just four.

"Recent Bioware titles have rewarded Munchkinism in a big way."

No more thna any other RPG - just look at TOEE. Vampire wasn't *too* bad in that regard. One of the things it did right; but that was an aomaly. 99% of RPGs always reward munchkinism.

"It would not surprise me if one or two combat styles were simply superior and allowed a player to coast the rest of the game."

Possible; but BIO has said not all fighting styles will be useful in every battle as some enemies will be able to counter them real easy or will be immune ie. ghosts are immune to weapon styles so you can only use magic styles on them.

"Or that the grunts were just canon fodder and bosses required a player to rethink their difficulty setting."

Better watch the gameplay videos as it shows the PC fighting some ghosts and they kick his ass.

If youa re really interested in what JE is about and not pulling a Codex; I adise you to rad the JE faq (both official and unofficial) and watch some of the videos. To be honest, I used to think just like you. I thoguht JE was just an action game with some role-playing. That's before I actually started paying attention to it.

LOL

Enjoy.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Wrong, idiot. It's being billed by Bioware as a RPG with RT combat. Guess what? Just like your precious Vampire; but hopefully JE will actually have good combat.

I would just like to point out that while JE combat will be RT, a distinction should be made betweem typical RT combat, which Bioware has had before, and JE combat. JE combat uses a fighting engine, does it not, which is much more twitch then anything ever seen in the likes of Diablo. JE, from what I understand is sort of a rip off of Shenmue.

As for a Bloodlines, I don't really know what they billed it as. Action sites callled it an action CRPG, while RPG sites said, it was a bouncy boob game, with lots of dialogue choices. And does it matter how Bloodlines was built, it was using the HL2 engine, so it really does not take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

I plan on playing neither, but I think its important at the Codex to define what we mean by RT combat, in the context of different CRPG's.

It's likely to have more role-playing than any other BIO game to date. For one thing, it has more than 2 endings, it has three dilaogue skills, and eveyrthing else one cpould ask for in a RPG.

By this definition, ToEE was more of roleplaying game then anything Bioware has ever done as well, including JE! Never thought I would here you say that...

The story is not like that. The PC starts off at a Martial Arts School as a student in a small village when it attacks.

->In BG you started in Candlekeep, which needed to leave before it was attacked by Sarevok, but you still end up getting attacked right out side. Not including attacks you can avoid.
->In BG2 you were on you way south, when you were attacked and taken prisoner. While take prisoner, the prison is again attacked by thieves allowing for your cunning escape.
->In NWN, you are training to be a DnD hero, when the academy is attacked!
->In KotOR, you're transporting a top secret jedi hotty, when you are... ~suspense~ ATTACKED!!!!
->In JE... AH HELL YOU KNOW, ATTACKED!!!

LOL, I love how Bioware gets so much prop's for their stories.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I would just like to point out that while JE combat will be RT, a distinction should be made betweem typical RT combat, which Bioware has had before, and JE combat. JE combat uses a fighting engine, does it not, which is much more twitch then anything ever seen in the likes of Diablo."

JE is not twicth combat. In fact, accoridng to those who have played the demo if you simply button mash like you'd do in most action games ala Diablo or BGDA and the like you'd probably die. In fact, many action gamers who have tried the JE demo have complained that JE's combat is "too slow".

"I plan on playing neither, but I think its important at the Codex to define what we mean by RT combat, in the context of different CRPG's."

The differences between JE's combat and say NWN's combat is that there is no 6 second rule, and if you hit your enemy you do damage. There is no actual attack roll. That's what makes it RT. However, unlike the vast majority of 'action games"; you can actually pause and choose your next move if you so wish.

"JE, from what I understand is sort of a rip off of Shenmue."

Don't let BIoware read this. I haven't played Shemue (or JE for that matter); but JE's combat is not Shemue which if Ire called is a good old fashion fighting game.

"JE combat uses a fighting engine, does it not, which is much more twitch then anything ever seen in the likes of Diablo"

Ahh, that's the key. JE doesn't use a 'fighting engine' whatever that actually means. Since youa rne't interetsed in the game anyways (or don't ahve the x-box) you probably arne't interested but try to find a link to avideo of the actual demo. It's easy to spot that it's not some twicth hack n slash combat game. In fact, like I said above, pure action gamers will probably be put off by the combat.

"By this definition, ToEE was more of roleplaying game then anything Bioware has ever done as well, including JE! Never thought I would here you say that..."

You, McFly, I'm just illustrating that JE is not an action game. It's a RPG with RT combat. BIG difference. And, no, TOEE is not more of a RPG. However, I never really claimed that TOEE wans't a RPG. I just said it was a crappy one. And, oh, yes, TOEE has multiple endings; but as I told VD just a few days ago, it take smore than multiple endings to make a game's role-playing good. However, it's a nice start.

"LOL, I love how Bioware gets so much prop's for their stories."

Yeah, Troika is so much better.

Arcanum - get blown right off your airship.

BL - get assaulted by vampires. LOL

Even TOEE had this as well unless you chose a lucky alignment that got away it.

It's called setting up the story, Dhoomba. Heck, this is probbaly why TOEE sucks - becuase the PC simply doens't care enough. Hahahaha.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Biowhores. Gotta love 'em."

I'd rather be a whore to a company that still exists then the Troika whores who are whores toa company that pretty much no longer exists!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

"OMG I FLAMED!!! OH NOES!! I TROLLED TOO!!!! WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO LIVE WITH MYSELF?!?!"

Sure, you'll survive... you aren't Troika afterall.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
I'd rather be a whore to a company that still exists then the Troika whores who are whores toa company that pretty much no longer exists!

That just means that Troika whores now don't have to take it from their pimps, while you and others still get bitch-slapped by Gaider on occasion :lol:

Sorry, just kidding ;)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"That just means that Troika whores now don't have to take it from their pimps, while you and others still get bitch-slapped by Gaider\"

As long as they release games I wanna play (AND ON MACHINES I OWN NOT STUPID X-BOX!) then they can bitch slap me all they want. :D

"Sorry, just kidding"

Really? You shouldn't. It's the truth!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Quantity in no way reflects quality."

True.

This is especially true in Ann Coult... I mean Volourn's case. He has 4700+ posts and not one of them is anything meaningful or insightful. Unless ROOFLes is some modern day equivalent YHWH.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"This is especially true in Ann Coult... I mean Volourn's case. He has 4700+ posts and not one of them is anything meaningful or insightful. Unless ROOFLes is some modern day equivalent YHWH."

For some reason, I would not be surprised if at least half your posts were posted just to flame me. Talk about the ultimate hypocrisy.

R00fles!

P.S. Don't get mad at me becuase you didn't do your research and were put in your palce by multiple people. Ha.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I heard that the JE programmers visited this board, and were so mystified and impressed by Volourn's whoriness that if you beat the game 10 times, you get a video of Gaider beating off and saying "This is for you, Ted!"

RGE

Liturgist
I've seen some of those JE videos, what with me dutifully reading my BioWare Wednesday messages and whatnot, and the fighting scenes look pretty boring. The characters appear to be grounded like in NWN, and I wouldn't want to play a kung fu game without lots of gravity defying leaps. From what I've seen, the barbarian Leap Attack from Diablo II is more fun than all that hokey JE stuff. But I suppose that I could go take a look again to see if it was just one of the later videos that gave me that impression.

Speaking of those Wednesday propaganda messages though, isn't that interview with David Gaider worth linking to? Perhaps a bit too many sissy girl questions for the Codex? ;)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I heard that the JE programmers visited this board, and were so mystified and impressed by Volourn's whoriness that if you beat the game 10 times, you get a video of Gaider beating off and saying "This is for you, Ted!""

LOL It's a good thing I only play the same 2 or 3 times max even if it's great - I'll never see that video ... ell, until some kolu posts it on the board.

Seriosuly though, instead of just trading barbs with me, do research.

"I've seen some of those JE videos, what with me dutifully reading my BioWare Wednesday messages and whatnot, and the fighting scenes look pretty boring. The characters appear to be grounded like in NWN, and I wouldn't want to play a kung fu game without lots of gravity defying leaps. From what I've seen, the barbarian Leap Attack from Diablo II is more fun than all that hokey JE stuff. But I suppose that I could go take a look again to see if it was just one of the later videos that gave me that impression."

Honestly, if you expect JE's combat to be as fast apced as actual action games you are gonna be dissapointed. btw, There are leaps and jumps in JE including the grafity defying ones. LOL To comapre the combat to NWN though is a tad silly though.

"Speaking of those Wednesday propaganda messages though, isn't that interview with David Gaider worth linking to? Perhaps a bit too many sissy girl questions for the Codex?"

Meh. That interview was boring.

triCritical

Erudite
\"JE is not twicth combat. In fact, accoridng to those who have played the demo if you simply button mash like you\'d do in most action games ala Diablo or BGDA and the like you\'d probably die. In fact, many action gamers who have tried the JE demo have complained that JE\'s combat is \"too slow\".\"

Well does it not use a fighting game engine. I have played Mortal Kombat and its pretty twitch. Slowness really isn\'t an issue, but I can\'t see how a game that uses a fighting game engine is not twitch.

\"The differences between JE\'s combat and say NWN\'s combat is that there is no 6 second rule, and if you hit your enemy you do damage. There is no actual attack roll. That\'s what makes it RT. However, unlike the vast majority of \'action games\"; you can actually pause and choose your next move if you so wish.\"

Wait, if there is no attack roll, then either the game is completely twitch, or your character speed and strength etc, get determined by their attributes. That is all fine, but it is still twitch. In other words, its not me pressing a button right, its more like me playing mortal kombat?

\"Don\'t let BIoware read this. I haven\'t played Shemue (or JE for that matter); but JE\'s combat is not Shemue which if Ire called is a good old fashion fighting game. \"

Shenmue, has very limiting fighting from what I understand. Basically you just do CRPG stuff asian style of course, and fight using the virtua fighter engine.

\"You, McFly, I\'m just illustrating that JE is not an action game. It\'s a RPG with RT combat. BIG difference. And, no, TOEE is not more of a RPG. However, I never really claimed that TOEE wans\'t a RPG. I just said it was a crappy one. And, oh, yes, TOEE has multiple endings; but as I told VD just a few days ago, it take smore than multiple endings to make a game\'s role-playing good. However, it\'s a nice start.\"

But it also had three dialogue skills!!!!

\"Ahh, that\'s the key. JE doesn\'t use a \'fighting engine\' whatever that actually means. Since youa rne\'t interetsed in the game anyways (or don\'t ahve the x-box) you probably arne\'t interested but try to find a link to avideo of the actual demo. It\'s easy to spot that it\'s not some twicth hack n slash combat game. In fact, like I said above, pure action gamers will probably be put off by the combat.\"

Well if it does not have a fighting engine then it does not have a fighting engine. Don\'t know why I thought this.

\"Yeah, Troika is so much better.

Arcanum - get blown right off your airship.

BL - get assaulted by vampires. LOL

Even TOEE had this as well unless you chose a lucky alignment that got away it.

It\'s called setting up the story, Dhoomba. Heck, this is probbaly why TOEE sucks - becuase the PC simply doens\'t care enough. Hahahaha.\"

Well I never said Troika did a better job setting up stories. And frankly this is not a thread about Troika\'s l33t ability of story telling. NO!!! Instead its a thread about Bioware story telling, and why they are so awesome. So I just found it ironic that they all start the same way.

BTW, Arcanum, had a great beginning IMO! Never played Bloodlines, and never will. And of the three alignments I started, none of them had me getting attacked. I was asked by a druid to restore order, I attacked a church and I witnessed someone get mugged. So I am really not so sure why Troika is relevant.

And for the record I played ToEE for the combat, and Arcanum because it was the most revolutionary CRPG since Fallout. Can\'t say that about anything Bioware did.

Sarvis

Erudite
triCritical said:
->In BG you started in Candlekeep, which needed to leave before it was attacked by Sarevok, but you still end up getting attacked right out side. Not including attacks you can avoid.
->In BG2 you were on you way south, when you were attacked and taken prisoner. While take prisoner, the prison is again attacked by thieves allowing for your cunning escape.
->In NWN, you are training to be a DnD hero, when the academy is attacked!
->In KotOR, you're transporting a top secret jedi hotty, when you are... ~suspense~ ATTACKED!!!!
->In JE... AH HELL YOU KNOW, ATTACKED!!!

LOL, I love how Bioware gets so much prop's for their stories.

You forgot the NWN expansions:

->In Shadows of Undrentide you're training to be a DnD hero, and your school is attacked.
->In Hordes of the Underdark you're staying in an in, and the city is attacked!

It kinda does beg the question: Why can't a CRPG start off without the PC being attacked?

Wonder how VD's game will start out?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hmmmm.....what about the IWs?
Do you start off getting attacked in that as well? Thinking thinking thinking

I've never really examined the initial plot hooks of BI's games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom