Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Storytelling Bioware-style

Fez

Erudite
You are a new recruit in a Roman legion's barracks, you happen to leave the camp to go for a walk AND THE CAMP IS ATTACKED AND EVERYONE KILLED (OH YEAH!). Cue epic quest to fetch the four thingies to stop the big bad beast. You assemble a mighty party of adventurers, including generic barbarian no. 367 (GARTH NO LIKE BAD MAN, STUPID IS FUNNY), old bitter veteran soldier of many wars, wise but frail old man and a young boy who shall be for comedy relief and a plot device to get the party into trouble. You'll also get a selection of <s> cheap whores</s> "spunky" female companions for you to play flirty grab-ass games with. They might fight and stuff too.

VD will be beating my door down and begging me to help him write games after he sees my awesome plot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Wait, if there is no attack roll, then either the game is completely twitch, or your character speed and strength etc, get determined by their attributes. That is all fine, but it is still twitch. In other words, its not me pressing a button right, its more like me playing mortal kombat?"

Unlike Shemue, I've played me some Mortal Kombat. From what I've seen of JE's combat; it's not even close to being like MK. In JE, ifyou just to 'twitch' and press buttons as quick as you can; you will likely die or so say those who have played the demo. Like I said, it seems that so called 'hardcore action gamers' who have played JE's demo find it too slow and not actiony.

Characters do have ability scores that help in battle. Speed depends on the fighting style you have - some are quick; others are slow but hit hard.

"And frankly this is not a thread about Troika\'s l33t ability of story telling."

No; but if youa re gonna attack one company for their starts; and another does baiscally the same it seems hypocriitcal not to complain about it.

As for Arcanum; I liked the start; but hello it's the same sort of start that BIO has - the PC gets attacked at the start of the game which of course drives him to see what's up. And, oh btw, techniclaly you don't get attacked right away in BG1. Sarevok only attacks you when you leave Candlekeep, and the two assassins only strike if you enter random buildings. In BG2, youa rne't actually attacked right away either as the attack by Irenicus occurs much earlier before the game even starts. See, I cna split hairs too. Heck, I can do the same with the OC since you arne't attacked right away there either. Only in KOTOR are you attacked right away.

"Arcanum because it was the most revolutionary CRPG since Fallout."

No, it wasn't. What huge revolutionary advances did it bring? Nothing.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sarvis said:
Wonder how VD's game will start out?
You acquire a map. The way you do that depends on your profession: assassin kills the owner, thief steals it, loremaster makes a copy, etc

Fez said:
You are a new recruit in a Roman legion's barracks, you happen to leave the camp to go for a walk AND THE CAMP IS ATTACKED AND EVERYONE KILLED (OH YEAH!). Cue epic quest to fetch the four thingies to stop the big bad beast. You assemble a mighty party of adventurers, including generic barbarian no. 367 (GARTH NO LIKE BAD MAN, STUPID IS FUNNY), old bitter veteran soldier of many wars, wise but frail old man and a young boy who shall be for comedy relief and a plot device to get the party into trouble. You'll also get a selection of cheap whores "spunky" female companions for you to play flirty grab-ass games with. They might fight and stuff too.

VD will be beating my door down and begging me to help him write games after he sees my awesome plot.
:lol: "Get 4 thingies" plots never fail

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
You acquire a map. The way you do that depends on your profession: assassin kills the owner, thief steals it, loremaster makes a copy, etc

Does the map <i>attack</i> you after you get it?

If not I'm not sure you're actually making a CRPG! ;)

Fez

Erudite
What VD forgot to mention is that you acquire four pieces of a map. You have to venture all across the land to find them, striking up a romance with your shy, virgin, naive and yet big-titted bondage-gear-wearing elven princess.

You have to defeat the boss guarding each part, probably an Ice monster, Fire monster, Earth monster and an Ice/Water monster. Those will be the big foozle's lieutenants.

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
What VD forgot to mention is that you acquire four pieces of a map. You have to venture all across the land to find them, striking up a romance with your shy, virgin, naive and yet big-titted bondage-gear-wearing elven princess.

Well, as long as she jiggles. ;)

Fez

Erudite
Oh, she will. You can count on it. Those boobies will wobble for a good minute or so after taking one step. I expect kleenex sales to go through the roof once this game ships.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"I would just like to point out that while JE combat will be RT, a distinction should be made betweem typical RT combat, which Bioware has had before, and JE combat. JE combat uses a fighting engine, does it not, which is much more twitch then anything ever seen in the likes of Diablo."

JE is not twicth combat. In fact, accoridng to those who have played the demo if you simply button mash like you'd do in most action games ala Diablo or BGDA and the like you'd probably die. In fact, many action gamers who have tried the JE demo have complained that JE's combat is "too slow".

I can't help think you're being a bit disingenuous, Volourn. Whether you can "mash buttons" to succeed in Jade Empire doesn't have anything to do with the fact that is is a "twitch" game in the sense that TriCritical means it. Press a button, PC attacks instantly in real-time. Reflex-based and "fast-paced" -- how many quotes do you want me to dig up? It may not be as fast-paced as game XYZ and it may have great RPG attributes otherwise but it's a "twitch" game as people here would understand it.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I is like an egg except I don't get laid

Ha Ha Ha

If you pick on me I'll tell Shagnak

PS i is idiot and do not know what i say
Volourn said:
"Oh a road.....

Is it an american thing?"

Thats' right. Only Amerika has roads. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"is is a "twitch" game in the sense that TriCritical means it."

When I think twitch; I think of having to press the buttons as quick as possible with no real logic to it except trying to be faster than the computer. It's not my fault other people here might be stupid enough to think evry real time game must be twitch combat by default.

R00fles!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fez said:

You have to defeat the boss guarding each part, probably an Ice monster, Fire monster, Earth monster and an Ice/Water monster. Those will be the big foozle's lieutenants..
STOP RUINING MY GAEM, FEZ!!!! THARE IS NATHING WRONG WIHT ICE AND FIRE MONSTARS AND ELVEN VIRGINS. IF YUO HATE RPGS WHAT R YOU DOING ON THESE FORAMS!!!!!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
When I think twitch; I think of having to press the buttons as quick as possible with no real logic to it except trying to be faster than the computer.

When I think "twitch", I think of how my muscles spaz and my left eyeball nearly pops out when I ejaculate. But I'd be a nutcase if I used my own definition of "twitch" for twitch games.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Speaking of intros, and this is possibly a bit off-topic ("possibly"), but me and my buddies are in the process of making a mod for NWN2 (design docs and preplanning, for now).

We're planning to make story based on war, and the effect it bears upon those who experience it. Now, war != endless fighting, as we actually intend to tell the story first and foremost via story-driven roleplaying with as little combat as the story dictates (whether or not all of it will be avoidable is hard to tell at the moment). We intend to tell the story of you, and your war buddies, as you are sent in the frontlines. Trying to recreate a 'Band of Brothers' like feeling, if you will. You are not a freaking Chosen One who must choose, you are a nobody, a simple soldier sent to war. You will not stop the war, all you can do is assume your little role in the grand scheme of things. It's all about how *you* and your squad members deal with the war.

Now, our planned intro is this: you are a soldier, having just enlisted. No background, no intro sequence, nothing. Everything before then is up to the player, nothing being forced. The only thing being 'forced' is that you enlist. We tell the player this at the very beginning, never hiding the fact.

Basically, the intro starts as you begin boot camp (the academy!). Only, this isn't a tutorial, it's boot camp. You don't learn the game mechanics. It's NWN2, you should already know how to play. You learn how to become a soldier. You learn what it means to wield a sword, or a spear. You learn how to adapt martial philosophies into the battlefield, and how magic affects this. And, you get to know your comrades. These are the people you'll be fighting on the frontlines with, the people who will live and die alongside you. And you all go through boot camp together.

Send comments to magicalvolo@hotmail.com

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but me and my buddies"

You have no buddies!

"magicalvolo@hotmail.com"

LOL This makes me has doubts abour your seriousness. <>

Anyways, if serious, your story seems to have good potential, imo. There's so much that can be done in that story set up. :cool:

That said, I shall not comment on it further or send emails since you ignore your job as QA. :) :shock: :idea: :wink:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Llyranor

Liturgist
YOU're my buddy, Magical Volo!

And... erm, I was kind of expecting comments on this thread, not emails.

As for QA, I have been testing your mod day in and day out every day since you sent it to me. It's just a long and arduous process, for the scope and quality of your mod are unsurpassed, and I sure as heck don't want to do a rush job in terms of making sure it plays perfectly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL Too bad you are QA'ing the wrong mod as well as an ancient version of it...
Ha @ no emails. Is that wh you tried to get people to spam my non existent hotmail account? :P

Anyways, just make sure to make one of the 'army buddies' name Llyr and let me torture him more.

Llyranor

Liturgist

Hey, I'm still willing to QA a more completed version of whatever mod it is you're making.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ill send it if you promise to add the Llyr soldier character and his subplot of torture to your NWN2 mod. :shock: And, promise not to make up more myths of your fictional 'buddies'.

Saran

Scholar
"And in todays news Canada's fresh supply of vaseline and KY jelly was stolen by an unidentified trio, the only clue to their identitys was a shout of "R00fles!" uttered by one of the perpetrators of this heinous crime."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom