Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Streets of Fortuna - a procedural city simulation sandbox coming to Steam

ADL

Prophet

Reviews​

“We've always wanted to see a social city simulation as rich as this, and this is better than what anyone has yet accomplished.”
Tarn & Zach Adams, Dwarf Fortress

About This Game​

SoF_Steam_Store_Banner.png

Fortuna is the city of your dreams! Or it will be, if you can survive. Streets of Fortuna is a free-roaming megasim sandbox RPG with emergent chaos rather than a linear story. Use your wits to live as a thief, a blacksmith, a rebel, a priest, a smuggler, a lover, a cook, or just a street rat. Someday perhaps you can challenge the Overlord that rules over Fortuna with an iron fist.

You arrive in Fortuna as a hungry, tired nobody, without even a single coin to your name... your first step is going to be finding a meal and shelter, here in the wealthiest city in the world, where the guards don't take kindly to theft or street-sleeping. Befriend a fence to sell your stolen goods or an art collector to improve your resale prices. Observe the behaviours of the wealthy (and their entourage) to pull off the perfect heist. Experiment with forms and materials to create food, gear, or valuable objects to trade, without rigid recipe systems. Navigate the tides of faction alliances and conflicts if you dare, but beware drawing the intolerant eye of the Overlord and those who benefit from the status quo.

SoF_GIF_Artisan.gif

SteamHeaders_Features.png

• Freeform gameplay in a dense, seamless, generated city
  • No job or class system to constrain you, only heaps of skills to grow
  • Made in consultation with the creators of Dwarf Fortress to optimize for emergent player stories
  • Simulated people and communities for infinite hours of megasim gameplay
  • Focus on narrow escapes and heists rather than toe-to-toe combat
  • Original, richly textured world and lore, loosely inspired by Constantinople circa 500 AD
SoF_GIF_Cook.gif

Ultimately, it's your sandbox, with your other life in this bustling city. It's up to you how you survive, and what ambitions you choose to pursue. This is not a game about quests and stories made by the developers. As in other megasims we love, we "just" make the world and its generation possibilities -- but it's a world shaped carefully to help you discover your own stories to tell. Go anywhere. Talk to anyone. Ask them for directions, or follow them home and see how their personalities and preferences affect their lifestyle.

Follow your heart, your whims, or your ambition. Whether you're the kind of player that likes to collect, explore, climb the ranks of power, or just cause chaos, Fortuna might be your new favorite city.

SteamHeaders_ProcGen.png

That's right! This game is bigger than anything Kitfox has done before, by far. We've been working on this game for two years already, but we also know we have a lot left to do before it's fully ready. Right now we have the city generating and a thousand NPCs simulating at a basic level, including having solved some thorny problems like seamless loading, modular architecture, character model generation, etc.

From the gameplay side we're focusing on supporting the actions and sandbox simulation necessary for a fun "thief" gameplay first, and everything associated with that, before focusing more in future on artisans, priests, politicians, and so on and so forth.

SoF_GIF_Tavern.gif

We've built a framework on which to update regularly, with even more regular communications and feedback cycles, and we intend for each new update to combine with existing game features to provide exponentially more intricate, complex, and fun outcomes. The engine provides a foundation on which we can quickly and frequently add new interesting improvements in both content and systems. We're learning from our collaborations with Dwarf Fortress and Caves of Qud about how to both deepen the gameplay systems with attention to detail, while also being able to update as frequently as humanly possible as we get community feedback and discovery of the unique issues these kinds of games create once they're out in the wild.

In short, we're looking forward to seeing how you play and what you choose to do in this truly open gameworld.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Made in partnership with the Dwarf Fort guys. Could be interesting but it seems like it has a ways to go as well.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Shame it has world of Warcraft aesthetics, sounds interesting

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Fortuna is the city of your dreams! Or it will be, if you can survive. Streets of Fortuna is a free-roaming megasim sandbox RPG with emergent chaos rather than a linear story. Use your wits to live as a thief, a blacksmith, a rebel, a priest, a smuggler, a lover, a cook, or just a street rat. Someday perhaps you can challenge the Overlord that rules over Fortuna with an iron fist.

You arrive in Fortuna as a hungry, tired nobody, without even a single coin to your name... your first step is going to be finding a meal and shelter, here in the wealthiest city in the world, where the guards don't take kindly to theft or street-sleeping. Befriend a fence to sell your stolen goods or an art collector to improve your resale prices. Observe the behaviours of the wealthy (and their entourage) to pull off the perfect heist. Experiment with forms and materials to create food, gear, or valuable objects to trade, without rigid recipe systems. Navigate the tides of faction alliances and conflicts if you dare, but beware drawing the intolerant eye of the Overlord and those who benefit from the status quo.

-Freeform gameplay in a dense, seamless, generated city
-No job or class system to constrain you, only heaps of skills to grow
-Made in consultation with the creators of Dwarf Fortress to optimize for emergent player stories
-Simulated people and communities for infinite hours of megasim gameplay
-Focus on narrow escapes and heists rather than toe-to-toe combat
-Original, richly textured world and lore, loosely inspired by Constantinople circa 500 AD

Ultimately, it's your sandbox, with your other life in this bustling city. It's up to you how you survive, and what ambitions you choose to pursue. This is not a game about quests and stories made by the developers. As in other megasims we love, we "just" make the world and its generation possibilities -- but it's a world shaped carefully to help you discover your own stories to tell. Go anywhere. Talk to anyone. Ask them for directions, or follow them home and see how their personalities and preferences affect their lifestyle.

Follow your heart, your whims, or your ambition. Whether you're the kind of player that likes to collect, explore, climb the ranks of power, or just cause chaos, Fortuna might be your new favorite city.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Weren't you completely against procedurally generated content, JarlFrank?
Yes, but this seems to be focused on interlocking systems rather than just dropping you into a generic proc gen world with regular RPG mechanics, and therefore might be interesting.

I'd rather have this be in a hand-made city with the same level of interlocking systems and NPC simulation (like Shadows of Doubt), but this is acceptable.

In your average roguelike, there is nothing but the proc gen levels, that's pretty much all those games have.
This seems more akin to Dwarf Fortress (and they even consulted the DF dev), with an approach of simulating a living city and dropping you in there to do your own thing.

Vulpes

Scholar
“We've always wanted to see a social city simulation as rich as this, and this is better than what anyone has yet accomplished.”
Tarn & Zach Adams, Dwarf Fortress
:shredder:

Fargus

Arcane
The Guild 2 was fun as hell. Roaming the streets with my gang of thugs, killing children, sacking trade caravans, robbing and crippling rival family members for xp, forcing gilrs into marriage, pimping whores to politicians, making a mockery out of court hearings. And so on. And that's just what i was doing as the lawless rogue.

I doubt this will have 10% of it's capabilities, but still good find.

VerSacrum

Educated
I never warmed up to the newer guild games but I still occasionally come back to the first. The game's principle is incredibly addictive and it had a very atmospheric soundtrack.
Will surely going to check this one out.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Interesting. But part of me thinks this will end up known for meme videos because players will go out of their way to "break" the emergent gameplay.

Fargus

Arcane
Minimum:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.6GHz or better

Gotta love modern devs. Where do they pull these specs out of when the game visually looks slightly more advanced than Titan Quest from 2006

thesecret1

Arcane
Where do they pull these specs out of when the game visually looks slightly more advanced than Titan Quest from 2006
They probably don't have a friend with a worse PC than that, it ran on it, so they flag it as minimum requirements. Back when I was on a toaster PC, I played so many games with HW far below minimum specs, and they all ran fine. It's not an accurate estimate by any means, it's basically the dev saying "I guarantee that if you have at least these specs, the game will run."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
My old PC had a really old and shitty mainboard & CPU from 2011. Only last year did I finally buy a complete new PC.
Did some freelance work for a game, and the minimum requirements for CPU were far above my shitty old 2011 thing. So I told the devs "Hey, it runs on my old CPU, here's the model name, feel free to set that as the new minimum requirement since it's far below the currently listed one".

Don't remember if they actually did, but usually minimum requirements just is the lowest end PC the devs tested the game on.

thesecret1

Arcane
Exactly. There's no industry standard tool that would measure what the game needs somehow, and while it could be computed, it's honestly more of an afterthought most of the time. Most devs just don't give a shit - they'll find the shittiest PC in the office, see if it runs on it, and there you go - minimum specs. Even though they're light years above what the game actually needs. The only time it becomes a serious consideration is when talking latest AAA with chip-melting graphics where the dev finds that the shittiest computer in the office actually can't run it - that's when you start getting a lot more accurate minimum specs.

lightbane

Arcane
I thought in the case of AAA games, they want low performance on purpose so that you're forced to buy the latest graphic card pyramid scheme. For indies, inflated specs it's just incompetence and poor coding skills.

thesecret1

Arcane
I thought in the case of AAA games, they want low performance on purpose so that you're forced to buy the latest graphic card pyramid scheme. For indies, inflated specs it's just incompetence and poor coding skills.
It's not about selling cards, it's about virtually no software project (and games especially) meeting deadlines. You always rush as fuck by the end. Meaning that the moment performance meets some minimum acceptable parametres is the moment management goes "okay, great, now FUCK any further optimizing, every coder is needed to finish the fucking game!"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Where do they pull these specs out of when the game visually looks slightly more advanced than Titan Quest from 2006
They probably don't have a friend with a worse PC than that, it ran on it, so they flag it as minimum requirements. Back when I was on a toaster PC, I played so many games with HW far below minimum specs, and they all ran fine. It's not an accurate estimate by any means, it's basically the dev saying "I guarantee that if you have at least these specs, the game will run."
They can turn off HT in BIOS, and turn off half cores, and then test the game. Frankly these new developers have bit problem with using PC.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Seems interesting. Artsyle is a bit of a turn off though.
Looks like a gay game for kids or game for gay kids or a game made by gay kids for gay kids or maybe they just like purple idk but it’s kinda ugly and off putting tbh

edit: not that there’s anything wrong with that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom