Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Streets of Fortuna - a procedural city simulation sandbox coming to Steam

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if their art style inspiration was Age Of Empires Online. Reminds me VERY strongly of that.
While I did like AgeO, the art style was definitely one of its biggest drawbacks.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Which means it is even more up @Vic's alley
a large % of players of these combat-less sim games are women

just looking at this soy game makes me want to fall asleep

edit: case in point, the other game by "kitfox" games:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wait, there's no combat?

What's the point of a complex simulation without some fun and creative violence?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wait, there's no combat?

What's the point of a complex simulation without some fun and creative violence?
They didn't write there will be no combat. They said:
  • Focus on narrow escapes and heists rather than toe-to-toe combat
Which might mean a lot of things, for example that combat is difficult, dangerous and brings limited rewards, so it's usually best to avoid it.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
Bloody bastards stole my Goddamned Intellectual Property! What a blistered rot infested piece of unholy theft!

Mortal: A Simulation Video Game rip-off. End of story.

Fargus

Arcane
No combat means that that this game can most likely fuck off. Most of my problems in The Guild 2 were solved by whacking someone outside the city gates, and most of my problems were found this way too :)

Interest lost.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2946850/view/6500469346414696895
Why Constantinople? Streets of Fortuna Devlog
The historical inspirations for Fortuna
We often get asked “Why Constantinople 500 AD?”, either because people aren’t familiar with this uniquely fascinating moment in history, or because people ARE familiar and wonder which aspects are relevant to Streets of Fortuna. A quick follow-up question is often “So how historical ARE you?”, which is trickier to answer but we’ll give it a try.

fbb967fa3b2d4b74d3bc6138302821bfc76dc46a.png

In case you’re not familiar with the ancient city, Constantinople around 500 AD was the capital of the Roman Empire, which historians later decided to call “Byzantium” to distinguish it from other periods of Roman history, and to more easily discuss its unique blend of cultures and contribution to culture. It’s the home of the famous Hagia Sophia, and a classic “east-meets-west” melting pot in history. There are literally thousands of books written about it, and many feature its particularly famous rags-to-riches emperor Justinian (reigning 527 - 565) and his equally legendary empress Theodora. If you’re looking for something easy to read to start, the
Sarantine Mosaic
fantasy duology by Guy Gavriel Kay is a fun pair of books. If you want something more factual, my next recommendation would be
Theodora and the Emperor
by Harold Lamb, which is relatively strict in its sources, but much easier to read than more academic texts.

36701bfc38cfd7dfffdacbf3680429a70b5d0a69.png

We chose Constantinople 500 AD as our primary reference because it seemed like the most interesting sandbox in which to live your other life, due to its:

- being one of the main centers of trade, culture, and wealth in the world
- newly-revamped systems of law and centralized government
- larger-than-life leaders (Justinian, Theodora, Belisarius, John the Cappadocian, etc)
- several major active religions, with Catholicism relatively fresh and fractious
- many records of the time, which are flawed but more usable than pure hearsay/legend
- latter-day Eastern Rome is relatable, dynamic, and dramatic, as an empire mid-collapse

In short, knowing that we wanted to generate and simulate a city that was uniquely suited to be a criminal or a religious leader in, or both… Constantinople stood out among all the options.

7cd332f8e211e3056686953ade8f039701f3e8fd.jpg

Criminal thugs or keepers of the peace? Governments throughout history have found organized gangs useful in enforcing the status quo.

For the past few years now, I’ve been digging into various sources for inspiration and scholarship on the subject, and I think it could fascinate me for the rest of my life. The more I learn about what we now call “Byzantium”, the more I want to learn.

b4529a53686c83f90c24b532ddae151332ecc822.png

We’ve been consulting with 3 published Byzantine scholars since 2022, with lectures on different topics and email exchanges or calls for more specific clarifications. I found them via my Twitter network recommendations, with each ending up from a different country (one here in Montreal, one in the US and one in the UK), and each with different special interests and reference materials.

One of them, Dr. Lindsay Corbett volunteered:

“When I heard Kitfox was looking for scholars to collaborate with I jumped at the chance. It is the ultimate ambition for the historian to make the past come alive… [Other games] tend to focus on the Byzantine military and its exploits [while Fortuna] addresses a greater multitude of social perspectives, especially from that of the everyday citizen - a social stratigraphy even Byzantinists are still striving to better understand. It also offers a close look at Constantinople as a microcosm, exploring the interwoven complexities that made the city function, driven by its lower-class citizens, so often marginalized in history.”

Another scholar, Dr. Lauren Wainwright added that Kitfox “had so many interesting questions about the everyday life of people in sixth-century Constantinople that I'd never even considered before.” and Matthew Parker chimed in that he hopes “early medieval Byzantium will finally get the representation it deserves”. We hope so too!

In 2022, the scholars gave us a series of lectures, about architecture, fashion, urban planning, economy, etc. And just recently when we showed Dr. Corbett some character concept art with different costumes for different wealth levels, Lindsay pointed out “textiles rarely pictured vegetal designs in the roundels, but it was very very common to see animals”, so not just pointing out things that ‘stick out’ from a Constantinople flavor perspective, but also suggesting solid improvements.

3c7fb7fa65a52e00dafdaf8c5c1552f6ddad07c1.jpg

As much of late antiquity Constantinople still retains a Roman flavor we may occasionally cherry pick elements from later in its history. This elite guard armour is more typical of the 10th century but we’re going with it because it’s very distinctly Byzantine.

Ultimately, Fortuna is a fictional city, but we want it to feel lived-in and genuinely Byzantine. I see historical Constantinople as the equivalent of a lore bible, filled with references we can use whenever we’re not sure how to move forward, but which we’re also allowed to change.

Still, we bend “reality” to suit the needs of gameplay and production, and to create the experience we want. Our city, for example, probably will have higher-wealth residences on higher floors to challenge thieves even though it was often the opposite in reality (street-level apartments were much more expensive due to the convenience).

0c89c4a59b56a9530732ab061164633c889b8506.jpg

In this case someone has conveniently placed a ladder right where you need it but normally you would be required to sneak through the rest of the house to get to the goods on the second story.

Obviously the details of the implementation are subject to change as gameplay develops. If you have questions about the setting or anything else (Istanbul travel tips?) feel free to post them here or in the Discord! Next time we’ll turn our attention to the megasim side with a look into the tools being used to procedurally generate locations and simulate the world down to the composition of alloys.

See you there,

Tanya

Lemming42

Arcane
Sounds pretty cool and they're clearly passionate about it but I think I'd rather have a fully fantastical city rather than one beholden even somewhat to reality. The exact location of floors and the pattern styles on clothing are shit that really shouldn't be getting in the way of making sometihng that just feels and looks good. I guess if you're properly interested in this time and location then it's great but for me I'm literally just gonna look at it and go "duhh nice togas" and then focus entirely on the game without paying any mind whatsoever to the fact that everyone's foreskin and labia is modelled accurately to the average appearance in 500 AD.

Looks very interesting though, this is a very underexplored genre.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am very happy with their commitment to recreate part of history that's not often a focus of media, let alone gaming - Constantinople in the 6th Century is a great setting and I hope they'll use it in interesting ways.

Harthwain

Magister
Sounds pretty cool and they're clearly passionate about it but I think I'd rather have a fully fantastical city rather than one beholden even somewhat to reality. The exact location of floors and the pattern styles on clothing are shit that really shouldn't be getting in the way of making sometihng that just feels and looks good.
What are you talking about? Developers specifically mention "ocassionally cherry picking elements":

As much of late antiquity Constantinople still retains a Roman flavor we may occasionally cherry pick elements from later in its history. This elite guard armour is more typical of the 10th century but we’re going with it because it’s very distinctly Byzantine.
Still, we bend “reality” to suit the needs of gameplay and production, and to create the experience we want.
So while it is [heavily] inspired by history, it is not intended to be 100% historically accurate thing.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just subjective personal preference; I'm really uninterested in the historical context so hearing that they're consulting with academics over extremely obscure details like making sure they have the correct patternwork on textiles - and thus seeking to largely confine the game's ideas to a real-world context - made me feel like the game's setting will end up less interesting for me personally than if they'd just come up with something entirely fantastical or very loosely based on some historical environment. Obviously a lot of people will feel the exact opposite, appreciating the real-world adherence of the setting and loving the extreme attention to detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom