Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Streets of Rage 4

PrettyDeadman

SoR4 looks way better than the originals. Originals very serviceable, but SOR4 is in VanillaWare / kof territory, which is another league entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad. Now do this with a new Fighting Force and I might care!

We are sorely lacking in 3D beat 'em ups. There was this weird little boom in the mid-2000s, (although at least Def Jam Fight for NY and Urban Reign were more a type of fighting game) but only Yakuza and Dead Rising came out of it.

It would be really nice to get a modern 3D beat 'em up with the same Streets of Fire, urban decay, post-apocalyptic vibe stuff like Double Dragon, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Two Crude Dudes, and Undercover Cops had.

Vorark

Erudite
The original trio (Axel, Blaze and Adam) should have been playable from the start and other characters, unlockables. Would've been a nice homage to SOR1.

While SOR4 does look good, I stand by my initial impression: reminds me of a flash game. Maybe it's 'cause I'm too used to the older titles and Remake, but the cartoonesque designs don't mesh well with the setting.

This french cartoon aesthetic is incredible. We should outsource all 2D games to the snails.

I'm kind of surprised the aesthetic of this doesn't look more like their Windjammers 2, which looks like the LASTMAN (which had a Power Stones kind of game called LASTFIGHT a few years ago) cartoon...the cartoon being this big love letter to beat em ups and '80s & '90s stuff.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Poor Adam, and now Skate doesn't seem to appear but his niece?

Granted, Adam never felt that different from Axel which is probably why he hasn't been around much but I think he should still be playable, same goes for Skate.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Poor Adam, and now Skate doesn't seem to appear but his niece?

Granted, Adam never felt that different from Axel which is probably why he hasn't been around much but I think he should still be playable, same goes for Skate.

he was a bit heavier and his kicks had longer range. axel's jumping knee kick never did it for me compared to adam's extended jumping kick

Generic-Giant-Spider

Adam had that badass kick that would send enemies flying and colliding into other enemies caught in the line of fire.

I don't like how Axel looks in this new game. He kind of blends in with the enemies and if you hold your hand over his head you'd never guess that was Axel in the first place. Blaze looks fine, I think she has the best redesign of the two because it kind of "adds" to her outfit. Cherry looks goofy as fuck. If you're going to put some silly fuck in the game, why not bring back ROO?

I stand by how I view the art style. It doesn't fit the style of SoR. Actually, this reminds me of how I felt about Double Dragon Neon. It didn't fit the old school Double Dragon games being this "kung fu in America" style and went super hammy into the "dudebro" theme. It looks too much like a cartoon that you'd see on an after school television station, not that colorful blend of bright lights and grittiness from previous SoRs.

The original trio (Axel, Blaze and Adam) should have been playable from the start and other characters, unlockables. Would've been a nice homage to SOR1.

While SOR4 does look good, I stand by my initial impression: reminds me of a flash game. Maybe it's 'cause I'm too used to the older titles and Remake, but the cartoonesque designs don't mesh well with the setting.

It would definitely be nice if this had the degree of options that fan made Remake game did.

While I do like the look of this somewhat, despite it being a pretty radical departure from what Streets of Rage looks like. I also kind of wish they'd either have went with somewhat similar to the original games but completely redone sprites like The Ninja Warriors Once Again:

lvAbyj5.gif

Like it would have been nice to get really well animated sprites on the level of the ones in the intro for the first Streets of Rage... get in-game sprites on the level of the SoR3 portraits pixel art.

dco0hrh-42641887-2688-4ecd-9db9-990afbc83158.png

or just done highly detailed painterly characters like a Vanillaware game has.

fDLa4ZW.gif

As a side note those Once Again sprites are way more animated than the characters in this game.

BlazeIdle.gif

Adam had that badass kick that would send enemies flying and colliding into other enemies caught in the line of fire.

I don't like how Axel looks in this new game. He kind of blends in with the enemies and if you hold your hand over his head you'd never guess that was Axel in the first place. Blaze looks fine, I think she has the best redesign of the two because it kind of "adds" to her outfit. Cherry looks goofy as fuck. If you're going to put some silly fuck in the game, why not bring back ROO?

I stand by how I view the art style. It doesn't fit the style of SoR. Actually, this reminds me of how I felt about Double Dragon Neon. It didn't fit the old school Double Dragon games being this "kung fu in America" style and went super hammy into the "dudebro" theme. It looks too much like a cartoon that you'd see on an after school television station, not that colorful blend of bright lights and grittiness from previous SoRs.

Blaze's redesign is basically just her SoR3 Art

Blaze_Fielding_%2528Bare_Knuckle_3_promotional_artwork%2529.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Looks like there's one more character to be revealed, I hope it's Max and they go all out with wrestling moves.

Oh yeah, and Adam being back is pure incline. About damn time.

Falksi

Arcane
The more I see of it, the less I like it.

Seems to have all the old elements which need freshening up & shouldn't be there (same old enemies, same old moves), and all the new elements such as having a slag with a guitar (wtf?) fat Axl & fat Adam look shit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's the art style/comic bookish look they opted for. I dislike it as well, immensely so. My love of beat 'em ups wants to give it a chance though, but I know already I'll not like it as much as I did the original trilogy. Especially since I consider the SoR games some of my favorite games ever made.

I wish Sega hired the guys who did SoR Remake, had them redo some of the assets from other games so they don't get sued, and then release it as an official Sega-sanctioned title. Even SoRR's fan created character Rudra looks way better than Adam's ugly sister.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's the art style/comic bookish look they opted for. I dislike it as well, immensely so. My love of beat 'em ups wants to give it a chance though, but I know already I'll not like it as much as I did the original trilogy. Especially since I consider the SoR games some of my favorite games ever made.

I wish Sega hired the guys who did SoR Remake, had them redo some of the assets from other games so they don't get sued, and then release it as an official Sega-sanctioned title. Even SoRR's fan created character Rudra looks way better than Adam's ugly sister.

That would be giving the fans what they want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom