Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion: lulz button

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
The problem with a lulz button is that when somebody gives a heterodox, but serious, opinion it will be 'lulzed' by members of the opposing faction leading it to be used in a derogatory fashion rather than actually thanking someone for posting something funny. It would drive the politics forum (further) into the ground.

ironyuri

A button labelled retardo would be good.

ironyuri and 12 others retardo this.

If a post gets enough retardos, or if a thread gets enough retardo votes, the mods should enshrine it forever in retardoland.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
9iu4.png

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
The problem with a lulz button is that when somebody gives a heterodox, but serious, opinion it will be 'lulzed' by members of the opposing faction leading it to be used in a derogatory fashion rather than actually thanking someone for posting something funny. It would drive the politics forum (further) into the ground.

Excellent point bro. The same logic can be applied to an unbrofist feature.

However, I still think Davis has a great point: We MUST have a lulz button. Not only that, but Phelot had a great point as well.

Basically, as the Xenforo page DU linked to states there will be a bar visible once you hover over a post in a thread, and that will display all available options. So we could have a lulz button, a decline button, a shitpost button (for all Liberal's posts about Georgia and most everything else TBH) etc etc. All this glorious data can be compiled in lists posted on a users stats page.

Only issue is that Xenforo doesn't seem to have all these buttons, and I am not sure if they can be added. (the brofist button/feature is simply xenforo's 'like' feature renamed, so it was already there. I have no idea if further such features can be modded in.)

Repressed Homosexual
There's already too much clutter, don't turn the software into a horrid mix of Facebook, 4chan and Slashdot, as if it was humanly possible. If it was up to me, I'd revert to having no more features than PHPBB 2 did. Down with distractions, popularity contests, oversized emoticons, and most of the ancillary options.

The text is all that matters, not toying with the forum software. That's only a distraction, and ultimately it encourages disruptive behavior.

I notice that when there is a political thread, all the liberal posters will encourage one another, and likewise for the conservative ones, in an attempt to out-edge one another. We don't need to encourage such knee-jerk reactions, which are ultimately an impediment to discourse.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Good idea because I use brofists for everything, lulz included. Would make brofists more prestigious again when it's separated from the lulz :obviously:

Sadly, now it would become even less prestigious, as Politics subforum brofists would make up an even larger proportion than they already do now that they've been reintroduced. Lulz isn't as good as insightful posts about game mechanics or genuinely helpful posts, but it's miles ahead of political circlejerking.

I would say that introducting Politics forum brofists was an awful choice, except I'm still holding out hope that it's an elaborate plot created to entrap the more heinous Politics posters (since the split, I'm hard-pressed to decide whether a high GD or Politics percentage is more shameful in one's stats) and take advantage of the 'brofist harvesting' rule as an excuse to punish them.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Brofists are enough, if the person on the other end can't understand the intent then it's not your problem. I've given ironic brofists, pity brofists, good reply brofists, thanks for the honesty brofists, agree brofists and you are awesome brofists.

Basically if I don't fist you, I probably didn't read your post.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
skuphundaku has just wisely invested 35 US dallahz. RPG Codex - NO REFUNDS!!!

DarkUnderlord - am I really buying this? I kinda thought I'd rather support this worthy effort with the money: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/my-little-ponycons.778/
Hmm... Ponycons would be a value-added addition... But we don't need to buy it, so fuck 'em. Who donates to things anyway? Retards, that's who.

Go ahead and purchase the overly excessive rate thingo and whack it in the FTP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom