Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyway, I don't think anyone has mentioned the most profound quality of Enderal. Being the writing. I mean have you guys ever seen anything this great since the late Bioware? Maybe even greater! And all that coming from an indie team.
For exampe
the quest with the magic wielding lady drawing pictures and imprisoning the souls of the atrociously decadent aristocrats inside these, and then selling the pictures for other aristocrats to gawk at them not knowing a thing. The idea itself! The choices in the quest. The twists! The moral dilemma or a pretty hard fight :3
I must say I wasn't a fan of the skill progression differing from Skyrim. But it grew on me, and it turned out to be quite ok. But the writing alone! The building of the tension in the world! These things alone were worth a few replays.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
EMW looks pretty good but that rebalance mod sounds like a typical modder difficulty mod. No more secure chests? Removed hints? Increased stamina penalties and reduced movement speed in the walking sim engine?

Just sounds terrible.

Yosharian

Arcane
EMW looks pretty good but that rebalance mod sounds like a typical modder difficulty mod. No more secure chests? Removed hints? Increased stamina penalties and reduced movement speed in the walking sim engine?

Just sounds terrible.
None of these have caused me any issues so far

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Just sounds terrible.
Ringing endorsement, thanks. I'm sure it works, it just sounds bad.

Yosharian

Arcane

Just sounds terrible.
Ringing endorsement, thanks. I'm sure it works, it just sounds bad.
I wasn't aware I needed to do that, all I'll say is that for me personally the experience I've had playing EMW has been amazing.

If you need more than that then maybe you're looking for a review, I'm not enough of an expert on vanilla Enderal to do that.

I can maybe offer more insight once I've dicked around in Ark for a bit because that's when I got bored with / turned off from Enderal originally.

Yosharian

Arcane
EMW is like mods for Enderal?
EMW is a Wabbajack modlist for Enderal SE, which is itself a total conversion mod for Skyrim (LE originally but someone ported it to SE and it works).

Wabbajack modlists are files which contain a set of instructions on how to automatically download mods from the Nexus and install them. Some WJ lists require customization before launching, others are 'pre-built' and ready to go as soon as you've finished installing - EMW is one of the latter ones. The one downside is that you really need Nexus premium to download all the mods. It's 3 bucks for a month or something? I have a lifetime premium account because I'm a dirty sellout, but it's up to you if you think it's worth the money or not. The plus side of Wabbajack is that installing the mods takes about 10 minutes + however long it takes to download the mods, it took me half a day cos my internet is a shitty 4G router but if your internet is beefy you can get it done in 30 mins maybe.

How I would sum up EMW so far is it's kinda Requiem for Enderal. I think it's more polished than Requiem from what I've played so far. But it's along those lines, it's making Enderal more of a hardcore immersive RPG. EMW's 'core' mod is Enderal Gameplay Overhaul, which is similar to Requiem I suppose.

I am playing an alchemy archer who maxes stamina and when the shit hits the fan I turn into a werewolf and wreck people. Except I haven't got as far as turning into a werewolf yet but that's my plan. And I am just loving this game.

EGO feature list for anyone that's interested:

MAIN FEATURES

Difficulties no longer drastically change the damage multipliers and only change the damage of enemies
Fixed Problems with high damage multipliers/health on many enemies
All actions drain stamina, physical damage is now dependent on your current stamina (also applies to human enemies)
Reworked critical strike damage to be more consistent and more useful
Each weapon type has it's own unique upside. Some enemies have resistance to certain weapon types.
Blocking with shields or weapons is much more efficient and negates staggering effects
Heavy Armor grants more protection and adds stagger reduction but will slow the wearer and will increase mana cost for spells
Clothing/no armor increases movement speed and reduces manacost but clothing no longer grants armor

AI reacts better, attacks/blocks more frequently
Archers now use Arrows and will switch to melee weapons if needed
Certain creatures (like Bears and Trolls) will knockback the player with some attacks if the player isn't blocking
Undead have drastically increased armor and resistances. Added new silver weapons, silver arrows
Ghosts have drastically increased resistances. Bypass it with silver weapons or with a new consumable called "Ghost Curse"
More diversity between creatures. Some Examples:

Mud Golems (Troll Template) regenerate Health very slowly, have increased resistances
Tyarge (Troll Template) are slower, don't regenerate health, are the only ones left with the ape like idle animation
Steppe Crusher (Deer Template) are more aggressive and have a new attack pattern
Boneshredder (Vatyr Template) are slower and have increased armor, magic/poison resistances
Crystal Elementals (Frost Elemental Template) have new resistances, removed
frost cloak, removed frost FX, added a new power attack effect
Spiders have different poisons (slow, paralyze or increased damage poisons) and big spiders will knock the player back
Starling Guardians use their crossbow, Starling Centurios use their steam breath, Starling Spiders shoot lightning sparks
Many enemies have slightly different attack patterns (e.g. a Vatyr uses some attacks more often than a Boneshredder)

26 completely new Spells, 5 of them are mystical spells
Manacost is drastically increased, Manacost reduction perks are now mandatory to properly cast spells
Manacost of spells is increased if you have a low skill and cast high level spells
Completely rebalanced elemental spells, some spells were just much better than others of the same rank
Rebalanced spells in general (e.g. summons require two hands, AoE damage spells are higher level, healing spells heal less/less arcane fever)
Reworked some spells (e.g. Counter now silences, Dreameater sneak attack rework/fix, Provoke reworked to Soothe)
Talents/Perks rebalanced and completely reworked some of them, added cooldown description to memory trees

35 new Potions/Poisons and rebalanced the others (in most cases they are stronger now)
Rebalanced apparitions, they have better stats, are poison immune, no longer trigger traps and have all of the new mechanics
Fixed and rebalanced Lycanthrope (fixed fleeing enemies, fixed range issues, fixed damage calculation)
Completely reworked and fixed armor/weapon blueprint recipes, fixed/balanced all the entries (about 600) of dismantle recipes
Added arrow crafting, added a new armor piercing arrow type

Removed Secure Chests and replaced them with 3 safe chests in locations where they made sense
Many hints that had unimmersive or simply too much information were removed
Rebalanced stealth/pickpocketing/lockpicking and overall made harder
Rebalanced alchemy/handicraft/enchanting, this includes a ton of changes
Loot is much more diverse. Animals/Creatures will drop appropriate items
Increased weapon and spell diversity on enemies

Many, many other changes. More informations in the readme (located under docs) and in the changelog (located under logs)

I am playing on standard difficulty, I think it's 'Adept', not sure if JDS has done any extra modification to make difficulty selectors more or less important. One thing I have DEFINITELY noticed is that human opponents are very challenging in melee combat. I do OK in ranged combat using guerilla tactics right now (I'm only level 4-5 or so) but if I engage a human opponent in melee it is really tough, they use shields very well. So far the difficulty is appropriate enough that I actually find myself using self-made poisons frequently in combat versus tough enemies.

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend EMW to anyone that prefers an immersive, hardcore RPG experience. If you prefer a more vanilla-Skyrim style where you don't have to think too much in combat and immersion isn't a priority then you might not like EMW. But I think you will anyway.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
I played through Enderal twice and though it still has Skyrim's shitty damage scaling where light armour+ one-handed feels useless on higher difficulties a lot of this sounds like someone doesn't want people to have too much fun.
Though still most of the changes make sense so if you aren't interested in getting your own mod build this should be a more balanced experience than vanilla Enderal.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
By the way, be sure to install TKDodge mod. It implements perfectly working forward/backward/side-rolls (or side-steps if you choose to) with the I-frame thing. It takes some stamina (customisable). This makes the Skyrim based combat SO MUCH more fun. It shifts it towards "normal" RPG action games.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I played through Enderal twice and though it still has Skyrim's shitty damage scaling where light armour+ one-handed feels useless on higher difficulties a lot of this sounds like someone doesn't want people to have too much fun.
Though still most of the changes make sense so if you aren't interested in getting your own mod build this should be a more balanced experience than vanilla Enderal.
Try E.G.O. for a change then.

razvedchiki

Erudite
is its worth it to give todd 10 euros just to try this mod? just the thought of seeing skyrim in my library makes me wanna vomit.

played and had much fun with nehrim when it got out.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is its worth it to give todd 10 euros just to try this mod? just the thought of seeing skyrim in my library makes me wanna vomit.

played and had much fun with nehrim when it got out.
Just do it bruv you have been on the fence long enough.

cloudropis

Educated
should i play this
Do you like the idea of Gothic 2 but with more functional combat and a derivative plot setup that, while I can't personally vouch for, literally everyone who has ever played it creamed themselves over the quality of its ending and themes?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Did they overhaul this game since release? I played at release and hated it but like it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom