Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
And it's about as close to D&D ruleset as SCL itself.

---

BTW, I hope you people realize that we just can't win here. If SCL is a success (unlikely), WotC will think that MMO-like combat with cooldowns is the way to go, at least for CRPGs. And if it's a failure, they'll play it safe and it'll be quite some time before we see another D&D-based game. Worst case: Beamdog won't even be allowed to release Siege of Dragonspear.
And nothing of value would be lost :smug:

ArchAngel

Arcane

---

BTW, I hope you people realize that we just can't win here. If SCL is a success (unlikely), WotC will think that MMO-like combat with cooldowns is the way to go, at least for CRPGs. And if it's a failure, they'll play it safe and it'll be quite some time before we see another D&D-based game. Worst case: Beamdog won't even be allowed to release Siege of Dragonspear.
Actually it is closer to 3e than SCL is to 5e. The spell point system in practice works like PnP with limited resting spots in dungeons.

Also they had many of the skills and feats 3e had and they were very useful. Only real change to PnP was how they had to split each level into 4 sublevels and minor bonuses you would get from those sublevels.

Also magic items at mid levels and above became much more powerful than in PnP.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Not really, much closer, mages learn spells from scrolls, itemization is almost exactly the same as in D&D, so are class abilities, and you also get to multiclass. Plus eberron is very well represented.
Fucking ignorant assholes everywhere.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Apparently it's very easy to get a Steam refund for the game, even after playing through the single player campaign. That's the problem with the way they're handling head start access: it prevents players from posting Steam reviews about the game (good for n-space), but it also makes it simple to get a refund from Steam just by canceling your pre-order (bad for n-space).

I wonder how many pre-orders will be left after the 4-day trial period is over.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you guy find juicy stuff to read on their forums or Steam do gives us a link. The drama is more interesting than the game.

Dedup

Augur
heck I wouldn't be against a good non-cRPG/D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms.Maybe a telltale adventure game type thing would be nice or even just a good dark soul-esque console type action/exploring game could be nice (if they so desperately want to be 'mainstream')

I would personally love to see a Dragon's Dogma type game with D&D races, classes and setting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We need a video of Swen slowly realizing what an utter piece of shit this game is, and how restrictive it makes the whole DM mode.
I think being a DM with not too big of expectations is the best part of the game. He might have fun with it.

Weasel
Some good news at least, legendary foes are in the game

demogorgon?
few minutes ago i finished quest with "mysterius stranger" and at the end i fought with monster, which was named "demogorgon":) Come on dear devs - one of the most powerfull monster in D&D(demodragon or demolich are most powerfull imo) was killed after near 1 minute:) What are you did with demogorgon??!!:)

sstacks

Arcane
Because I know you just can't get enough:

This episode: Let's load up on side quests and then engage in some obligatory yet hoped for combat, plus join up with some new companions that we trust instantly. Hey, it's a game what are ya gonna do?

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost choke to death on my coffee. Some people don't like that, but luckily I was able to raise up like a revenant and keep going.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
I think being a DM with not too big of expectations is the best part of the game. He might have fun with it.

My experience with DM mode is it's actually pretty fun and there are a lot of options and features.

My main complaint with SCL is it's not turn based combat and it's got a lot of 5E features but it is not a full implementation of 5E. It's an action RPG with cooldowns, etc.

If you set aside your RPG purist desires (and yes, this is the Codex I get that!) it's a cool game... it's just not a deep chewy classic cRPG along the lines of what many of us like.

sstacks

Arcane
Also let me say when you play solo and go RTWP, it changes the game feel quite a bit, less action RPGish like co-op is.

Renevent

Cipher
Are you really reading every line of dialog out loud? Between that, and choking on your coffee you may just be the worst Let's Play youtuber of all time.

sstacks

Arcane
Are you really reading every line of dialog out loud? Between that, and choking on your coffee you may just be the worst Let's Play youtuber of all time.

I gotta keep it real, yo. By the way, I'm fine after the near death experience with the choking thanks for asking.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some good news at least, legendary foes are in the game

demogorgon?
few minutes ago i finished quest with "mysterius stranger" and at the end i fought with monster, which was named "demogorgon":) Come on dear devs - one of the most powerfull monster in D&D(demodragon or demolich are most powerfull imo) was killed after near 1 minute:) What are you did with demogorgon??!!:)
I bet he has also level scaled :D

vonAchdorf

Arcane
German Gamester magazine is "optimistic" in their First Impressions article, after playing the game for 12 hours. They even title: "Finally D&D again" - but in their article they notice, that it's only "nearly D&D, purists have to be brave and beware dual sword wielding casters in plate armor".

I couldn't care less about D&D fidelity, it's a mostly retarded system anyway, but watching Shane's LP, the game looks super annoying. Sorry, quest hubs and side-quest dispensers don't cut it for me anymore.

sstacks

Arcane
I bet he has also level scaled :D

All joking aside I think all bosses level scale, not sure about regular mobs but I think they may as well.

And in DM mode they can be buffed, debuffed, disappeared or brought in at will by DM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom