Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I played this game until somewhere mid game when I stopped due to a bug they never bothered to fix. There are plenty of bugs the devs never bothered to fix. The storage chest in your camp actually makes equipment you "store" in it disappear? Hahaha hilarious, right? Didn't fix it.
The MMO style boss fight can't be finished because after an add phase the boss just doesn't reappear? Well, known problem... never fixed it etc. Clearly a case of piece of shit development team.

The interface is like babbys first user interface, the engine is a horrendous pile of garbage (unity?), the graphics are good tho, loading times are atrocious, the character system (is this supposed to resemble dnd5?) is like a greatly dumbed-down version of some random MMO. I mean, it wasn't entirely unfun and I guess I would have finished it were it not for the bugs. Worse than Dungeon Siege 3.

Not sure what bugs you encountered, but I had a pretty smooth ride when I finished the game last year. Enjoyed it a great deal, too. Wasn’t the best D&D game of all time or anything, but also doesn’t deserve to be stacked in with the worst either.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
I played this game until somewhere mid game when I stopped due to a bug they never bothered to fix. There are plenty of bugs the devs never bothered to fix. The storage chest in your camp actually makes equipment you "store" in it disappear? Hahaha hilarious, right? Didn't fix it.
The MMO style boss fight can't be finished because after an add phase the boss just doesn't reappear? Well, known problem... never fixed it etc. Clearly a case of piece of shit development team.

The interface is like babbys first user interface, the engine is a horrendous pile of garbage (unity?), the graphics are good tho, loading times are atrocious, the character system (is this supposed to resemble dnd5?) is like a greatly dumbed-down version of some random MMO. I mean, it wasn't entirely unfun and I guess I would have finished it were it not for the bugs. Worse than Dungeon Siege 3.

Not sure what bugs you encountered, but I had a pretty smooth ride when I finished the game last year. Enjoyed it a great deal, too. Wasn’t the best D&D game of all time or anything, but also doesn’t deserve to be stacked in with the worst either.
of course we have stuff like the OFFICIAL cookie clicker D&D game, so it's hard to be the worst D&D game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Not sure what bugs you encountered, but I had a pretty smooth ride when I finished the game last year.
good for you I guess, I came up to the point where you have to kill the spider boss, Rhylfang or whatever, in a typical MMO manner every once in a while it would summon some spider adds and disappear, then once you killed the adds it would come back. Except then it didn't... nothing you could do about it. Research on the game's forums and Steam revealed it was a known problem they never bothered to fix. The advice was to start a new game and hope it doesn't happen again... lolwut? No, thanks.

Were it not for the bugs I guess it'd be ok-ish but I have zero tolerance for these kinds of development policies, e.g. not fixing known, game-breaking bugs.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Not sure what bugs you encountered, but I had a pretty smooth ride when I finished the game last year.
good for you I guess, I came up to the point where you have to kill the spider boss, Rhylfang or whatever, in a typical MMO manner every once in a while it would summon some spider adds and disappear, then once you killed the adds it would come back. Except then it didn't... nothing you could do about it. Research on the game's forums and Steam revealed it was a known problem they never bothered to fix. The advice was to start a new game and hope it doesn't happen again... lolwut? No, thanks.

Were it not for the bugs I guess it'd be ok-ish but I have zero tolerance for these kinds of development policies, e.g. not fixing known, game-breaking bugs.

That’s unfortunate. Like I said, I didn’t encounter that bug, so it sucks that it stopped your progress.

Lhynn

Arcane
I found plenty of bugs in my run. The game was alright tho. A bit too long for my taste but at least the characters were fairly well done. Its one of those games you play when you have nothing good to play, like blackguards 1 or wasteland 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am surprised that this game had a DLC. From what i remember the game disappeared in to the mist of nothingness fast. The game was ok but the level design was boring as shit. I don't even remember why i dropped it. All remember was that there were some shitty sewers and some knight/paladin castle.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I am surprised that this game had a DLC. From what i remember the game disappeared in to the mist of nothingness fast. The game was ok but the level design was boring as shit. I don't even remember why i dropped it. All remember was that there were some shitty sewers and some knight/paladin castle.

Very likely before release they took part of the content and split them into a DLC...

DemonKing

Arcane
I played for a bit and thought like most people - not D&D but not completely terrible. I went off and did some other stuff for a while and came back to finish the game off only to find in every save my character avatars just all dropped through the floor and died a second after the reload.

Haven't encountered a bug that bad for a while...I'm assuming a patch ended up breaking my game saves. Can't say I want to really replay what I did get through again as it wasn't that much fun and I don't want to get killed off by the same bug again.

Elex

Arbiter

of course we have stuff like the OFFICIAL cookie clicker D&D game, so it's hard to be the worst D&D game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/
OMG, their licencing policy is even worse than I imagined...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

OMG, their licencing policy is even worse than I imagined...
It's not really a policy.
More a "we will let the pants down for anyone who wants to stick something inside".

Arkast

Novice
i BOUGHT IT BECAUSE IT WAS SO CHEAP.

I'm waiting until 80% off! Not getting Aarkash Legacy'd again!

I wouldn't wait long. This is the final sale before it is removed from Steam forever (or so they say).

Aha! I knew it. Gamebillet has it for $4.89, and an additional 5% off code (gb5off). :shittydog:

And I tried that Forgotten Realms clicker game. It's not that bad. Kept me up much longer than I wanted last night. Much longer than when I originally 'tried' Sword Coast Legends, in any case.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
If this game was not an official D&D title, and was instead released by an indie "inspired by 5e", it would have been praised here. It's a problem of expectations. We thought it would be NWN3, for ill or good; it ended up being a much weaker effort of a game and it made clear we'll never see again a D&D title that truly tries to break previous boundaries.

Meanwhile, the Marketing:

"BALDUR'S GATE BALDUR'S GATE!!"
"NEVERWIIIINTER NIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS! NEVER WINTER N I G H T S!"
"DRAGON AGE ORIGINS, DRAGON AGE ORIGINS! DRAGONAGEORIGINSNEVERWINTERNIGHTSBALDUR'SGATE"

You: Sadly, it was a problem of expectations! People expected far too much for some nebulous reason~

I never said the reasons were nebulous, nor said they're not to blame for it. In addition to themarketing you mentioned, there's also the price tag (I can't remember exactly, but around $50 at release?). A more humble approach and selling it at $19 would have saved them a good portion of the negative reaction. We'd go "oh, so this is like a mini-NWN, meh" instead of all the rage.

sstacks

Arcane
felipepepe asked me to write a review of Sword Coast Legends for the CRPG Book Project. So I did.

2myaoBz.jpg

rohand

Cipher
Were the classes from the 5th already? I was under the impression it was from the dreaded 4th back then but maybe my perceptions were misaligned.

sstacks

Arcane
Were the classes from the 5th already? I was under the impression it was from the dreaded 4th back then but maybe my perceptions were misaligned.

It was all 5th Edition stuff, although through the lens of their engine.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only thing that follows 5e closely is itemization.
Its actually a shame, could have been a hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom