Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM - Kickstarter Live

motherfucker

Educated
otryhi.png
laabBLH.png

std::namespace

4JfheEo.jpeg

monochrome material ui is dumb or unfinished

wtf is "lbs"

sort character stats by type, offense/defense/other and separate visually, eg carry weihgt shouldnt be there at all, armor piercing should be together with offensives stats

that carved in paperdoll makes me think of some shit game i cant recall and vomit in my mouth, is that from might and magic? some elder scrolls abortion?

i FUCKING HATE glowy gradients on anything and i dont know of any good artist who doesnt hate em
fug this
sUWWvXy.png

Harthwain

Magister
Sure, the Chosen One trope is boring, but low-level grinds are even more so. There is only so much you can do with wolves, goblins and oversized rodents before fighting them gets boring.
I'd say it depends. While epic stuff has the potential to be an epic adventure (and I can see why people like that), I think it is possible to create a more basic adventure, where fights with lower-level enemies are interesting. But that would require a "combat is deadly" approach, akin to Warhammer Dark Fantasy (the older editions. I have no idea how it works nowadays) and access to more than just combat.

wtf is "lbs"
It's British for kgs.

rojay

Scholar
So Russia uses lbs now? That is sad. All my physics and math books from Mir Publishers use metric system.
It's a fantasy game. It's not set in modern russia. What fantasy RPG does use KGs?

This, I only know kg and km.

All this lbs is alien speak to me.
We use the metric system in my country, yet people know what lbs means.
So Russia uses lbs now? That is sad. All my physics and math books from Mir Publishers use metric system.

You should broaden your horizons.

I mean, you're writing in English, aren't you? You've already accepted that much.

We know the metric system is objectively better, we just don't care. Embrace it, friend. Embrace the pound and the mile per hour. Or don't I guess?

Harthwain

Magister
We know the metric system is objectively better, we just don't care. Embrace it, friend. Embrace the pound and the mile per hour. Or don't I guess?
Interestingly a whole bunch of RPGs don't even use anything besides the generic "weight" (marked either as a word or as a symbol).

notpl

Arbiter
4JfheEo.jpeg

monochrome material ui is dumb or unfinished

wtf is "lbs"

sort character stats by type, offense/defense/other and separate visually, eg carry weihgt shouldnt be there at all, armor piercing should be together with offensives stats

that carved in paperdoll makes me think of some shit game i cant recall and vomit in my mouth, is that from might and magic? some elder scrolls abortion?

i FUCKING HATE glowy gradients on anything and i dont know of any good artist who doesnt hate em
fug this
sUWWvXy.png
The bound leather UI looks fine, please don't make the mistake of looking to Codex randos for design advice.

Harthwain

Magister
Just surprised there are no slots for rings. The most common fantasy trope - magical rings.
Not just a fantasy trope - in some games they help in buildcrafting your character. That said, in low-magic setting I guess the only reason to wear a ring or somesuch would to be to be recognized by an NPC for one reason or another (a member of a secret brotherhood, for example).

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I am from a European country, and I have come to embrace the system devised by the masochistic, drunken lobster on stereoids too! :-D

REhorror

Educated
It's a fantasy game. It's not set in modern russia. What fantasy RPG does use KGs?

We use the metric system in my country, yet people know what lbs means.

You should broaden your horizons.

I mean, you're writing in English, aren't you? You've already accepted that much.

But why tho?

Is there ANY reason for the usage of pound/lbs? Don't tell me it's for muh immershun.

Moink

Cipher
Ideally every fantasy rpg should have a load of confusing, archaic measurements. Have you thought about non-decimalised currencies as well?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
But why tho?

Is there ANY reason for the usage of pound/lbs? Don't tell me it's for muh immershun.

Because it’s vastly older, inheriting from the Roman libra (slightly less than one pound) which is where ‘lb’ comes from. The idea of something so precise as the metric system of weights being used in the Middle Ages is totally ridiculous.

REhorror

Educated
But why tho?

Because it’s vastly older, inheriting from the Roman libra (slightly less than one pound) which is where ‘lb’ comes from. The idea of something so precise as the metric system of weights being used in the Middle Ages is totally ridiculous.
I'm asian so I don't know that, what was the measurement system used in Middle age Europe? And what did Russia use specifically?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
But why tho?

I'm asian so I don't know that, what was the measurement system used in Middle age Europe? And what did Russia use specifically?
Aaaaaaaaah! The tofu squared per fire-snake half-coil has joined the chat!

Viata

Arcane
Nigga puts a weight system for inventory and forgets that a bag of gold coins weights a lot. It's just a useless mechanics, simple as that. Give me infinite inventory, not playing these games on old computer anyway.

Viata

Arcane
The idea of something so precise as the metric system of weights being used in the Middle Ages is totally ridiculous.
It's fantasy, not middle ages. If they have no problem in including minorities there (although I have no idea if this game has minorities, it'll clearly have strong woman which is the same bullshit), might as well add the metric system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom