Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The interface wasn't very good back then, and it comes out horrible today.
Having spent some time playing the game's contemporaries, no, it was good then. Today, its difficult to get used to, but then, anything that's in first-person and isn't the standard mouse aim is. That's more or less because we're spoiled on it. Back then you had games where it was a struggle to figure out how to do anything at all with your inventory items, how to even move around and whatever crap I'm forgetting. System Shock at least works well when you get used to it.

The interface was a development of the one used in Ultima Underworld, and the same style of interface was iterated on later by Looking Glass for Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I think with some slight adjustments (e.g. mouselook done right) it's quite capable of doing anything in a game that has more complexity than just shooting stuff and picking crap up off the floor automatically. It is, as someone said above, more of a sim interface.

I don't know whether this is a fact or not, but I've always wondered if that Looking Glass first person sim style of interface heavily influenced Valve's introduction of WASD, because WASD always felt to me like a kind of super-streamlined version of it.
An inspirative point of view!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Having spent some time playing the game's contemporaries, no, it was good then. Today, its difficult to get used to, but then, anything that's in first-person and isn't the standard mouse aim is. That's more or less because we're spoiled on it. Back then you had games where it was a struggle to figure out how to do anything at all with your inventory items, how to even move around and whatever crap I'm forgetting. System Shock at least works well when you get used to it.

The interface was a development of the one used in Ultima Underworld, and the same style of interface was iterated on later by Looking Glass for Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I think with some slight adjustments (e.g. mouselook done right) it's quite capable of doing anything in a game that has more complexity than just shooting stuff and picking crap up off the floor automatically. It is, as someone said above, more of a sim interface.

I don't know whether this is a fact or not, but I've always wondered if that Looking Glass first person sim style of interface heavily influenced Valve's introduction of WASD, because WASD always felt to me like a kind of super-streamlined version of it.
Except for the fact that Valve didn't introduce WASD+mouselook, yeah, it influenced it. (I think it was Marathon that introduced it, though both Terminator: Future Shock and Jedi Knight had it and were before Half-Life) From '93 to about '98 I guess, everyone was either copying UUW's controls (albeit simplified) or Wolfenstein 3D's controls, perhaps with a look up and down function. Even if nobody at Valve played a Looking Glass title, they definitely played something that used their control scheme.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Except for the fact that Valve didn't introduce WASD+mouselook, yeah, it influenced it. (I think it was Marathon that introduced it, though both Terminator: Future Shock and Jedi Knight had it and were before Half-Life) From '93 to about '98 I guess, everyone was either copying UUW's controls (albeit simplified) or Wolfenstein 3D's controls, perhaps with a look up and down function. Even if nobody at Valve played a Looking Glass title, they definitely played something that used their control scheme.

I think whoever came up with it at Looking Glass must have been a typist, because it's kind of a "typistly" thing where you have your hand in a comfortable spread on the left hand side of the keyboard, with the middle finger providing a sort of anchor point on its "column" with W (for go) S (or X, for stop), and the index and ring fingers moving up and down on their respective "columns" to do L/R and other things.

It's interesting the ESDF never quite caught on, even though it has some advantages (more stuff to do on the left, the "pip" on the F key providing a natural touch reference point for the index finger). I think it's because WASD being on the "edge" of the keyboard with the pinkie on the bigger SHIFT key is a bit more comfortable (the pinkie is one of the less controllable fingers so it's suitable for it to just sit on a fatter key like SHIFT - and sometimes down to CTRL - and use it as a modal key presser most of the time).

schru

Arcane

It seems like Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was the first one to use WASD specifically; but when it comes to precedents, apart from Moria and Wizardry which used AWD, Castle Wolfenstein actually used all of Q, W, E, A, S, D, Z, X, C to cover the whole range of movement, crosswise and diagonal. Neither Marathon, Marathon 2, nor The Terminator: Future Shock used WASD, but rather schemes somewhat similar to Wolfenstein 3D's in case of the former two and a very peculiar scheme in case of the latter, where strafing left was assigned to X, while strafing right to the Left Shift.

At any rate, it seems that the scheme became popular in Quake's multiplayer before it was adopted in any official game release.

Castle Wolfenstein:

n9Y3lcV.jpg

Marathon:

NobzHC0.jpg

Marathon 2:

TqcN3dL.jpg

The Terminator: Future Shock:

3qW6hZz.jpg

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II:

tpQgJhr.jpg

Last edited:

LudensCogitet

Learned
SS2 introduces too many "quality of life" improvements that actually just remove gameplay. Example: I listened to audio logs, but never carefully, because I expected to have any important codes or tasks added to my quest log automatically.
That isn't gameplay?And if you consider wasting a player's time by forcing him to listen to random stuff a good hing,you shouldn't talk about gameplay. Not to mention that most logs didn't give necessary information.

Older rpg's gave you a simple note or a npc with one line of dialogue that was a hint/necessary information.Audio logs are a huge decline that only helps atmosphere and story fags.

Terms like "wasting a player's time" are attempts to beg the question of what makes good gameplay. It can be argued (and is argued) that computer games themselves are a waste of time.

Audio logs containing important information encourages the player to pay attention to the game world and actively correlate that information.

Having logs that do not contain important information means the player must remain actively on the look out. This, and requiring that the player remember the important information themselves draw the player further into the world of the game.

It also increases the actual impact the player has on the game world. Because the game doesn't remember for them, they are better off if they remember, and worse off if they don't.

How is this a "waste of time" compared to other gameplay?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Warren Spector, for some reason:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nightdiv...l-system-shock-trailer-at-the-pc-gaming-show/

Nightdive reveals a perfect, immortal System Shock trailer at the PC Gaming Show
Original System Shock creator Warren Spector says the villainous AI SHODAN "seems far too close to reality" these days.

I'm a fan of System Shock(opens in new tab) and so I have to acknowledge that there's definitely some bias involved, but Nightdive Studios revealed a brand new trailer for the upcoming remake today at the PC Gaming Show and I am here to tell you that it is a serious banger.

The trailer has a little bit of everything: Action, horror, smoky shadows, neon lights, and of course SHODAN, the perfect, immortal machine, whose narration literally gives me goosebumps. She may be murderously insane, but it's good to hear that voice again.

What I especially like, though, is the way the trailer looks like how I remember System Shock from way back when. Obviously it's come a long way over the past 30 years, but this is how I see that world through the cloudy lens of memory. That, more than a note-for-note do-over, is what I really want from the System Shock remake: Capture that essence of the original in a modern take, and I am there.

We still don't have a release date for the System Shock remake, but I feel like it has to be getting close. Today's trailer is leaps and bounds beyond what Nightdive has shown previously, and director of business development Larry Kuperman said that development "is largely complete."

"You can play through it from beginning to end, all weapons and enemies are in place and working," Kuperman said. "What remains to be done is what is termed 'polish.' Our goal is that the release version is as close to perfection as possible."

There's still a little bit of a wait ahead, though. "Since we are supporting consoles as well as PC, it is an iterative process," Kuperman said. "Testing and tweaking over and over again."

After the reveal of the new trailer, original System Shock mastermind Warren Spector took a few minutes to talk about his experiences with the game, the influence it's had on the industry, and the challenges of bringing it to a modern audience, for whom the themes of corporatism, corruption, and technology run amok may not be as impactful or far-fetched as they were when System Shock was new.

"SHODAN seems far too close to reality to me right now," said Spector, who has been advising Nightdive and providing feedback on the System Shock remake since the beginning of the project. "I've worked on several games now where they have a predictive quality that I never could have predicted, and System Shock is one of them. SHODAN is right around the corner, near as I can tell. Let's just hope that she doesn't show up in as nasty a form as she did back in 1994."

Interestingly, while the "predictive quality" may be there, Spector said that the game itself has largely faded from the popular consciousness. "Core gamers" and some oldsters (like me) know it, but he's not sure that gamers in general "see the influence" that System Shock has had on so many other games over the years. He remains very proud of the impact it had, though, even if it's not obvious to a large audience.

"The ways in which it's influential I think are the genre mashup idea in the first place," Spector said. "It wasn't a pure shooter, it wasn't a pure role-playing game, it wasn't a pure horror game, a horror-survival game. It took elements of all of them and mashed them together to come up with something that felt, and in fact was, really new.

"And then, just from a sort of tech standpoint, the fact that System Shock was the first game I know of that was really physics driven. There was so much physics going on. It was used to affect not just barrels rolling, but how the character actually reacted to stimuli in the environment. And that was something new that I think has had influence, and frankly could have more, and I'd be a very happy guy."

Spector also touched on one major aspect of System Shock that has not stood the test of time, and which he clearly believes is best left to history: The interface. Updating the original System Shock control scheme to current standards is a "big challenge" for developers, he said, because the original, to put it politely, was not exactly streamlined.

"If you look at when the game opens, the original, there was a help screen that came up, and it filled the entire screen with text. It's just insane," Spector said.

"I'll tell you a funny story, I went to Gen Con, a big gaming convention, with System Shock, a game I loved dearly, and another game which I won't name, because I loved it a lot less. It was in many ways similar to System Shock, but more straightforward, and you could control it with a joystick. And I'm watching adult gamers get themselves, within seconds, get themselves crouched, leaning, in a corner, unable to move, and unable to figure out how to move. And I turned around, and I saw a kid, couldn't have been more than 10, reaching up with his hand on a controller, it was above his head, and just enjoying the heck out of the experience that was a simpler but similar game. And that was kind of a revelation for me. The user interface, I just don't know how the guys that made that did it. It's amazing to make the game playable these days."

And as he has done previously(opens in new tab) (and somewhat famously(opens in new tab)), Spector once again distanced himself from the idea that he is the creator of System Shock, saying that he's "not real comfortable" with the label.

" I think of myself, as much as anything, as a relentless advocate for a particular kind of game, the genre we call immersive simulation," he said. "Games that are designed to let the player feel—basically force the player to feel—like it's them in the world, with as few distractions and 'game-y' things as possible. System Shock was really, at the time, the most advanced version of that, and I can't tell you how much the team is responsible for that."

Nightdive's System Shock doesn't yet have a release date, but a brief demo is available on Steam(opens in new tab).

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bioshock does not have a working inventory, a bar to put quick use items or even a real automap - let alone an automap that you can place markers on. Just from those alone, the way you interact with the world (one of the most important aspects - if not really the main aspect - of these games since it influences pretty much everything else, like -e.g.- how resources are treated) is very different between the two.

Features that don't change the sluggish gameplay or painfully slow pacing compared to the original. If your idea of good world interaction is playing pipedream, knock yourself out.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Features that don't change the sluggish gameplay or painfully slow pacing compared to the original.

To what sluggish gameplay and slow pacing are you referring? If anything due to the modernized controls compared to the actual original game (and not the Enhanced Edition that adds better controls) the remake plays much faster.

If your idea of good world interaction is playing pipedream, knock yourself out.

I never brought up the minigames, i don't know why you thought that this is what i referred to. But i don't really see much of a difference between the Laser Lights-like minigame in the original game with the "pipedream" you mention, they both do not make that much sense in practice. At least the cable minigames (both the original and the remake have one IIRC) make a bit of sense in that you're trying to somehow reroute electricity, though even that only makes sense in a very handwavy surface level. Either way the minigames are only a tiny aspect of the game(s) and nothing would practically change if they were removed completely or replaced with something else (which is almost what the remake does anyway).

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Having logs that do not contain important information means the player must remain actively on the look out. This, and requiring that the player remember the important information themselves draw the player further into the world of the game.

That only works if you are playing the game non-stop, but life has a tendency to find its way into everything - including gaming time - for many people. So it is much better to not rely on the player remembering mundane things the game can keep track for him - which is why games introduced features like (auto)maps ever since the late 80s, conversation logs, quest logs and/or diaries, etc. While you can take notes in a notepad or whatever, i think it takes you out of the game if you have to stop the game and do that (especially for a real-time game).

Obviously this excludes games where the entire point is doing that, like blobbers where you are expected to draw your own map.

lametta

Educated
7 years of development and still counting.. for what? Is this a AAA mamoth project?
Hate it to break it to you but this will probably suck.
Sooner than you think? wtf does that even mean.
No release date means its at least 2 years away so yeah f that.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That only works if you are playing the game non-stop, but life has a tendency to find its way into everything - including gaming time - for many people. So it is much better to not rely on the player remembering mundane things the game can keep track for him - which is why games introduced features like (auto)maps ever since the late 80s, conversation logs, quest logs and/or diaries, etc. While you can take notes in a notepad or whatever, i think it takes you out of the game if you have to stop the game and do that (especially for a real-time game).

Obviously this excludes games where the entire point is doing that, like blobbers where you are expected to draw your own map.

That's what in-game journals are for. You don't need to have it auto, but you do need something like an in-game journal with some kind of reasonable text editing functionality, so that you can make a note, "Hmm, maybe that number 64616 refers to that weird thing back there, remember to check." That sort of thing. Maps should be the same - being able to make notes on a map should be just basic and required.

I guess unless it's high tech or cyberpunk, where you can expect a certain amount of auto help in the virtual world as depicted.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
To what sluggish gameplay and slow pacing are you referring? If anything due to the modernized controls compared to the actual original game (and not the Enhanced Edition that adds better controls) the remake plays much faster.

We must have played two entirely different demos. NuShock forces you to move at a languid pace and there seem to be a long, drawn out animation for every sinlge action from using health beds to climbing ladders. For some bizarre reason they decided it was a great idea to add fall damage to an environment that wasn't designed around it which slows things down even more. Combat felt slow and clunky even with what few enemies there were. While the original System Shock has odd controls they're not impossible to learn. Instead of fighting a few sponges that refuse to go down gameplay in the original usually moves fast and gets broken up by intense firefights. The fact that you can put the game on a timer indicates that the developers intended you to move quickly. A good portion of the levels in the original game pretty much demand speed and avoidance. The original also doesn't force you to sit through animations for every medi patch you use or charge station you touch.

I never brought up the minigames, i don't know why you thought that this is what i referred to. But i don't really see much of a difference between the Laser Lights-like minigame in the original game with the "pipedream" you mention, they both do not make that much sense in practice. At least the cable minigames (both the original and the remake have one IIRC) make a bit of sense in that you're trying to somehow reroute electricity, though even that only makes sense in a very handwavy surface level. Either way the minigames are only a tiny aspect of the game(s) and nothing would practically change if they were removed completely or replaced with something else (which is almost what the remake does anyway).

But that's part of the world interaction and they actually play a crucial role in the original. Inventory management and map markers aren't enough to keep this game from feeling more like Bioshock in space than System Shock.

SumDrunkGuy

Terri Brosius is the only real selling point they have.

EDIT: And even she sounded like she phoned it in on the demo.

Sounds natural. If you look closely you can see Bruce Campbell die inside just a little bit more every time he attends some Evil Dead event.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
That's what in-game journals are for. You don't need to have it auto, but you do need something like an in-game journal with some kind of reasonable text editing functionality, so that you can make a note, "Hmm, maybe that number 64616 refers to that weird thing back there, remember to check." That sort of thing. Maps should be the same - being able to make notes on a map should be just basic and required.

Sure, allowing to edit text is a good and useful feature to have (considering that almost no game offers that i wouldn't call it a basic and required feature though) but as i wrote keeping a quest log or journal is even more important so you do not lose these details and wont have to replay seconds long audiologs hearing the narrator's last life moments (or whatever) just for the half second it takes to spell out a single number.

NuShock forces you to move at a languid pace and there seem to be a long, drawn out animation for every sinlge action from using health beds to climbing ladders.

The animations have been criticized before by others so i didn't bother mentioning them (though FWIW they didn't bother me - if they had bothered me i might have repeated that criticism myself too). However none of that really make any practical difference, the variation of times players would spend wandering around the map would be greater than all the animations combined.

For some bizarre reason they decided it was a great idea to add fall damage to an environment that wasn't designed around it which slows things down even more.

Can't say i noticed that much TBH, but again i do not see this as slowing down the game, especially if you consider that in the original game you'd have to navigate through the onscreen menus to apply a med patch where in the new one you can hit a shortcut key (it might be possible to bind a key in the enhanced edition for that too but i think it wasn't possible in the original game).

Combat felt slow and clunky even with what few enemies there were.

I think that might be your personal interpretation, perhaps you just do not like the feedback from the 3D models or something, but to me combat felt almost the same as the original game.

Enemies are indeed fewer though, but it remains to be seen until the final game is released to see how that would affect the rest of the game. For the demo area i never found myself having an issue with the enemies - or the resources you'd get by defeating them (in the original game i often used the respawning enemies in the medical level as a source for med patches, etc).

While the original System Shock has odd controls they're not impossible to learn. Instead of fighting a few sponges that refuse to go down gameplay in the original usually moves fast and gets broken up by intense firefights.

Eh, i think you are too generous towards the original game, before the enhanced edition (and ignoring the user made patch for mouselook that preceded it for years) the game had very awkward controls that made navigation slower. You can learn the controls easily, but the weird movement is still there.

The original also doesn't force you to sit through animations for every medi patch you use or charge station you touch.

I get the impression that you really dislike these animations to refer to them twice :-P.

But that's part of the world interaction and they actually play a crucial role in the original.

They play a role but when considering the entirety of the game, they are only a tiny part of it. As i wrote you could remove those or replace them with automatic actions (like hacking in Deus Ex) and nothing would really change in the game. And the remake doesn't even remove them, it just changes one arbitrary minigame with another arbitrary minigame.

Inventory management and map markers aren't enough to keep this game from feeling more like Bioshock in space than System Shock.

Considering how these affect a lot of other systems - e.g. having an inventory with items you can pick up and drop which in turn affects how you treat resources in the game - actually does make it different from Bioshock. One of the first things i remember doing when i played System Shock was to collect all batteries, health kits, etc and make my own caches of resources in corners that aren't accessible by enemies (there are a bunch of such hidden places in the game) that i placed map markers on, which is affected greatly how i view putting map markers and inventories and containers in games as these affect a lot how i'd play the rest of the game.

That stuff just simply isn't available in Bioshock and make a big difference for me. More than if the occasional minigame i'd play is a shallow Laser Lights clone or a shallow Pipe Dreams clone.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I think whoever came up with it at Looking Glass must have been a typist, because it's kind of a "typistly" thing where you have your hand in a comfortable spread on the left hand side of the keyboard, with the middle finger providing a sort of anchor point on its "column" with W (for go) S (or X, for stop), and the index and ring fingers moving up and down on their respective "columns" to do L/R and other things.

It's interesting the ESDF never quite caught on, even though it has some advantages (more stuff to do on the left, the "pip" on the F key providing a natural touch reference point for the index finger). I think it's because WASD being on the "edge" of the keyboard with the pinkie on the bigger SHIFT key is a bit more comfortable (the pinkie is one of the less controllable fingers so it's suitable for it to just sit on a fatter key like SHIFT - and sometimes down to CTRL - and use it as a modal key presser most of the time).
Interesting. I've just tried it, and the only gripe I have is the thumb not being able to reasonably switch to ALT. But all in all, it kinda does feel more natural.
Btw we used TGFH initially, (Future Shock, System Shock and all those games from that era). I don't recall when and why the shift to the multi-spread WSAD happened.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Did any games use the TGFH bindings? Future Shock and System Shock didn't:

3qW6hZz.jpeg

cF72Gv3.jpg

As I mentioned in the post above, Dark Forces II was one of the first, if not the first, shooters to use WASD; besides that, the configuration was popular in Quake's multiplayer, and afterwards it was probably Valve's games which established it as customary.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ly-a-remake-again.104619/page-88#post-7977869
It was up to the player to bind whatever they wanted. At least for the Future Shock / Skynet games and some others. I may have erred with the SS though, I don't remember properly what "we" used.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see that I get a lot of shit ratings for saying you play the SS games for the story and atmosphere and not the gameplay. Let me clarify what I mean.

For some reason I missed out on the SS games growing up but on various boards people kept talking about SS2 and urging me to play it. No one has ever told me to play SS2 for the gameplay, it was always the story and atmosphere people were talking about. They even excused the gameplay somewhat but called the game worth to play despite that. This is a sentiment I have seen in a lot of discussions around the internet over the years.

I played SS2 first because that was the game people recommended the most, SS1 was mainly mentioned as something to play to get the background story to SS2.
This is how I remember game boards during the years before I became an active user on the Codex.

I have never been recommended the SS games because of their gameplay and that's what I meant by my previous post. So keep that in mind when you rate it "retarded".

Having said that I would like to clarify that I appreciate the gameplay and especially in SS1. It's interesting to get your head around the UI and then see yourself become better at operating it. To call the gameplay atrocious was mainly for effect and not entirely accurate on my part.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
The animations have been criticized before by others so i didn't bother mentioning them (though FWIW they didn't bother me - if they had bothered me i might have repeated that criticism myself too). However none of that really make any practical difference, the variation of times players would spend wandering around the map would be greater than all the animations combined.
I really don't buy that. Maybe for a completely brand new player they'll spend more time being lost, but those animations slow the pacing down a huge amount. Eventually those new players will become veterans themselves and developers these days never seem to consider repeat play. If I've done this before five times I don't want to sit through these animations of weapon fondling and item usage, but there's no real way to prove how much time gets eaten up by animations. It's like having to sit through The Many acid trip sequence or Shodan's speech in SS2. You get up and go take a leak or grab a sandwich.
Can't say i noticed that much TBH, but again i do not see this as slowing down the game, especially if you consider that in the original game you'd have to navigate through the onscreen menus to apply a med patch where in the new one you can hit a shortcut key (it might be possible to bind a key in the enhanced edition for that too but i think it wasn't possible in the original game).
Thing is that inventory management of that sort was built into Shock's gameplay intentionally , or so I think. When your weapon runs out of ammo you have to reload it manually by clicking the reload button. Same thing applies to your batteries and medi patches. With practice a player can perform these actions quickly, there is no way to speed up how long it takes to apply a patch in the new game.
I get the impression that you really dislike these animations to refer to them twice :-P.
Ya think? I can forgive reload animations, but not animations for every damn thing I have to do.
Eh, i think you are too generous towards the original game, before the enhanced edition (and ignoring the user made patch for mouselook that preceded it for years) the game had very awkward controls that made navigation slower. You can learn the controls easily, but the weird movement is still there.
I dunno, maybe I just have magical tism powers from playing the original dozens of times. It was slower before the patch and enhanced edition, but not like this.

thelegend

Learned
Eagerly waiting for the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom