Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like how most of those reviews pretend they know what's what when it comes to original SS and then the author is of course some sort of meme soyboy that was about -2 years old when it released.
I was born about a month before the original game came out and that didn't stop me from playing it and a number of games from that era during my teen years.

Also, this looks good, if all the negative reviews are anything to go by, where all the things they list as negative are actually positive. Games journos need to be hanged, drawn and quartered tbh.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's currently #8 in top sellers on Steam.

1685459627968.png

Lemming42

Arcane
That manual is unbeleivably attractive.

Withholding judgment until I play the full game but the reviewers that claim it's essentially a 1:1 remake have put my hopes even lower. The Medical demos suffered enormously for being such straight remakes, becuase the graphics are somehow less attractive than the original (darker with less vibrant colours) and the combat is worse, plus the original UI which was so key to the unique SS1 experience is missing - and of course, the oft-mentioned tonal changes with the shit soundtrack, excruciatingly dull slow-paced "horror" feel, weepy/hyperventilate-y audio logs, etc. So if it's a 1:1 remake, you're left playing a game you've already played except everything about it has been made worse in some way.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If this game is actually good, it would be one of those rare occurrences where something stuck in development hell, switching hands at least once, and going through several overhauls... is remarkably decent.

Big kudos to Nightdive Studios if true.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
combat is worse
Have to categorically disagree here
If the medical demo is anything to go by: the remake's game feel is light years ahead of the original, the small changes to level design and enemy placement made encounters more engaging, cyborg seem to hit more often and finally there's actual gunplay
Even as far as melee goes, in the original the weapons hitbox didn't seem match what you were pointing the crosshair at

Lemming42

Arcane
Wrote about my impressions of combat a while back after the last Medical demo; my memory is that melee was very bad as the pipe seemed to be totally weightless and sort of passed through enemies rather than appearing to impact them in any way, like swinging into thin air.

The weapon combat was a letdown too because it feels very generic (and again, rather unimpactful). SS1's approach of letting you aim anywhere on the screen, combined with the fluid leaning/crouching system, felt a lot more enjoyable to me - peek partially out of cover to see what's there, then do a full lean and quickly aim your SPARQ beam at three enemies in rapid succession, slide straight back into cover.

Another issue is that all "tactile" (for want of a better word) elements of combat are removed - you don't have to reload the weapon by switching to the UI and clicking the ammo you want any more, for example, you just press the reload key as in any other game, which makes it feel a lot more like a generic FPS game and less like the frantic struggle for survival that SS1 conveyed so well.

Which was my main feeling from the demo - stripping SS1 of its unique features like the cyborg UI and the movement system and the methods of controlling weapons, and replacing them all with a typical UI and generic FPS combat, leaves the game feeling strange and empty. It's like if someone did a 1:1 remake of Max Payne, but added a standard cover system where you stick to walls and pop out from behind cover. There must have been better ways they could "modernise" the game while keeping the original feel - they really got Cyberspace down perfect, at least.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I'm watching some footage of the game, why is every wall made up of some panels, screens, pipes, or some other shit? Why is there no walls that are just a fucking wall? The environment looks so "busy". Is it just me?

So I'm watching some footage of the game, why is every wall made up of some panels, screens, pipes, or some other shit? Why is there no walls that are just a fucking wall? The environment looks so "busy". Is it just me?
I think everyone agrees that everything is busy. I guess it kind of makes sense that its supposed to be a super packed station where every foot of space is utilized for something? The station is definitely supposed to feel cramped and claustrophobic.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I loved the original SS but to say the combat in the remake is worse? I can't speak to level design yet because I deliberately didn't play much of the demo... but the combat felt more 'real' to me in the new one anyway.

However I have just bought this badboy and will give it a spin when the daughters are in bed.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There was nothing wrong with OG SS combat, these people are all game jurno washouts. SS had feedback, ammo variety, and a dartgun. What does this bisexual lighting simulator have? An out of place shotgun.

Beowulf

Arcane
The full download is 3GB, and the installation size is barely 8GB+. Compare that to those recent 20GB demos with 15 minutes gameplay.
It runs well, as has already been highlighted in the reviews.
Yes, the item clutter is real, and it's hard to read the environment for interactive bits, at least at the beginning, but I kinda prefer it to r.g. the yellow outline from recent Deus Ex titles.
The bloom seems to be reduced, at least comparing to the demo version that I played some time ago. Motion blur can be disabled as well.
Still, the ragdoll on level load looks amateurish.

Oh, you can flush the toilets, so it will undoubtedly be labeled as a modern example of immersive sim.
Sure, the combat is rather weightless and especially melee lacks impact, but it plays well.
At least it is engaging and not instantly boring, however it has some checkbox design traces.
and as expected - steam forums already have threads with people complaining that they don't know what to do and asking for the code to even the very first door you encounter.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can get locked in the first cyberspace run. I guess that says a lot about QA and what you can expect in those levels of the game that didn't get a million of demos for players to play through.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
NDS' incompetence continues.

Many people reporting that the EGS store just straight up won't redeem their keys.

Half the text doesn't show up if you play in a non-latin alphabet.

The lighting engine is fucked if you set shadows lower than high, and for me on Linux the lighting is just fucked in general, but I can attribute that to just slapping it into generic wine and saying go. Also the promised linux native version hasn't materialised.

Cloud saves don't work.

Many reports of crashes and the game locking up on boot. It asks for network access and lists the publisher as Epic Games.

They messed up some of the collector's edition rewards for backers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom