Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Trithne

Erudite
As a fan of the original I backed this and am very happy how this turned out.

By and large the same for me too. My major complaints would be:

- The music is weak. It's alright and if you listen to it without any other audio you can hear the original tunes in them, but it lacks the presence of the original's music in game.
- The intro, outro, and general changes to the story are just bad.
- The groves suck. They are the biggest departure from the original game and they don't match the description of them that is still in the game. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot.

ciox

Liturgist
As a fan of the original I backed this and am very happy how this turned out.

By and large the same for me too. My major complaints would be:

- The music is weak. It's alright and if you listen to it without any other audio you can hear the original tunes in them, but it lacks the presence of the original's music in game.
- The intro, outro, and general changes to the story are just bad.
- The groves suck. They are the biggest departure from the original game and they don't match the description of them that is still in the game. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot.
Robb Waters gave them concepts for overgrown groves and cyber-infested bridge, they just didn't use them.

https://www.robbwatersart.com/system-shock#/environments/

oFrly3y.png

sly1NV4.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Warren Spector says...​

"I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that System Shock introduced the idea of environmental storytelling to the world."

No. No it didn't.

Brought attention to it, yes.

Proved it was viable, yes.

But it was Project: Firestart that first did it, five years earlier. It even has the blood graffiti on the walls!

purupuru

Learned
Finally got around to playing this game. Never played the original and I am really digging this game so far. The quest system feels just about right, any less of player guidance would probably make the experience a painful one but at the current level I can figure out what to do with a bit of thinking (and a lot of exploration), which is good.
Though I must say I actually expected a bigger difference between this and System Shock 2, I guess that's partly because my first SS2 run was with a pure gun build.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Warren Spector says...​

"I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that System Shock introduced the idea of environmental storytelling to the world."
No. No it didn't.
Even if we're to assume Warren Spector is tunnelvisioned with games only he worked on I would say Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 also clearly had their own examples of environmental storytelling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Patch 1.2 delayed to early 2024:

• Female Hacker added as a playable character — Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen.
  • Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
  • Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
  • Alpha Strain enemies have a new attack
  • Avian Mutant enemies have a new attack
  • Cyborg Diego has new movement options
  • Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
  • Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
  • General combat and speed balance adjustments across enemies and weapons
  • Credits added to the Title Screen
  • Better Gamepad handling and implementation
  • Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3891664

December 2023 Update​

96e822f0a646bdecdfd42650977c1a31_original.png

Hello Hackers,

We hope that the holidays have been treating you well. Let's get right to it. The team at Nightdive has completed work on the console ports of System Shock! Also, the physical goods have all been created and boxed.

Most importantly, we still have the task of getting through multiple publisher certifications before pressing the game to disc. We are working closely with our publisher to complete this process.

That being said, here are a few announcements that we wanted to share with the community.

ANNOUNCEMENT #1: System Shock Remake Named Best Remake of 2023​

We're deeply honored to see System Shock Remake be chosen as PC Gamer's Best Remake of 2023!

"Despite tough competition, Nightdive's recreation of the Looking Glass classic was our favourite remake of the year."

Read the full article here: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-remake-2023-system-shock/

We just wanted to say, “Thank you” to this amazing community. We truly could not have done it without all of your support!

ANNOUNCEMENT #2: Where is Patch 1.2?​

You’re right, from our last update, patch 1.2 didn’t actually get pushed out. This is because we wanted absolute feature parity with the console versions. What this effectively means is that our players on PC will be getting the best version of the game, and will enjoy the same experience as our console friends. The PC patch is slated to go live early in 2024.

So including the patch notes found in the last update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3875483) we can add this list to the total patch list that are incoming:

*Warning Story Spoilers Ahead*

Major

============

• Female Hacker added as a playable character — Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen.
  • Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
  • Cyborg Diego has new movement options
  • Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
  • Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
  • Credits added to the Title Screen
  • Better Gamepad handling and implementation
  • Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements
Minor

============

• Easier to see total counts of collected Media items
  • Added a button to the entrance of the Security level to ensure you can backtrack to the rest of the Station
  • General FX improvements and tweaks
  • New artwork on monitors across Citadel Station
  • Enemy callouts and vocals are less frequent now
  • Better text sizing for all languages
  • Jump Jet behavior improved
  • The color of some projectiles were tweaked
  • Sped up animations of using Dermal Patches
  • Enemies who are near Restoration Bays will be teleported to their spawn location to ensure the Hacker doesn’t get softlocked by being killed repeatedly.
  • Save files are now counted incrementally.
  • Fix ups of various Cyberspace levels and enemy placements within
  • Better handling of Hacker death in unlikely scenarios
  • Tons of other smaller bug fixes.

F.A.Q​

Questions from the community

• When will the shipping of physical goods begin?
Once we pass certification, we’ll begin pressing discs and shipping out physical goods.

• Console announcement date?
Console versions are seeing a lot of progress. We are aiming for an early 2024 release. We will have an announcement in the near future about the exact launch date.

• When will additional stretch goals be implemented?
Stretch goals such as the ability to select gender are currently included in the 1.2 patch.

That’s all for now.

Thank you,

- Team Nightdive Studios

ciox

Liturgist

NDS showing that Underrail is actually the way things are done now, and you can rebalance and re-meta the game whenever you feel like it after release.

I don't mind in this case, really, I just wish they had these things in at release or close to it, so that there are less late "meta shifts" in what should be the basic non-DLC vanilla edition of a singleplayer game, since that shit is a little confusing.
When this happens it's almost like the game received a mini expansion EXCEPT the original game state was erased forever unless you backed up your files.

The worst part is the arrogance: Developers think that they know better than their players about balance and meta, so will basically throw the old version of a game under the bus because "new one now, it's better, shut up and play it".

In a reasonable number of cases, they are right, and the game is actually improved or they have fixed a genuine exploit/issue. But I can list off a number of times where something was added to a game that made it definitively worse, and there's no good, easy way to revert (especially on Steam) without using a pirate copy. With multiplayer games, you're just fucked, because you can't connect to the servers anymore with an old version (yet another way in which server browsers and communities were better than the matchmaking hell we are in now).

As for this remake, I have found most people who like it are people who haven't played the original. To be fair, the original Enhanced Edition is in a pretty shocking state right now (thanks NightDive!), so I don't blame people for not wanting to play it.

I just wish they did a more faithful recreation rather than adding in the extra junk that doesn't really add anything, and changing a bunch of stuff for no reason. I generally dig the vibe and aesthetics of the remake, but some of the gameplay is.....ughhhh.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
[*]Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
[*]Cyborg Diego has new movement options
Neat
I finished the game last month - everything on Hard save for Time Limit and Cyberspace (soon realised this last option was a mistake, the experience would've been better with deadly cyberspace segments, I choose level 2 as people everwhere, including here, kept complaining these section where an annoyance, but honestly I found to be acceptable, not great but not terrible)
And found the bosses to definetivly be the weakest part of the game
The final fight in Cyberspace is cool conceptually, but it ends up being an anti-climatic way to end the whole ride - honestly it would've been more satisfying to end it in a cutscene after the final Cortex Reaver

Developers think that they know better than their players about balance and meta
Most players demonstrably don't know about jack shit about good game design or balance
That's why still to this day most people think Dark Souls 2 is genuinely inferior 1 and 3
I just wish they did a more faithful recreation rather than adding in the extra junk that doesn't really add anything, and changing a bunch of stuff for no reason. I generally dig the vibe and aesthetics of the remake, but some of the gameplay is.....ughhhh.
Like?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When are they patching out the bad voice acting and shitty lighting? I'd also like it if more than three weapons were actually useful and I could boost through the retarded crawlspaces and while we're at it, patch out mandatory cyberspace segments.

In fact, just patch out the entire game.

Most players demonstrably don't know about jack shit about good game design or balance
That's why still to this day most people think Dark Souls 2 is genuinely inferior 1 and 3

True that most players don't know anything. The difference is that dumbass players don't have the power to irrevocably ruin a game post-release, developers do.

When Developers know nothing about game development (or when they listen to people on Reddit who give them bad ideas), they can do far more damage than the average gamer can.

Darkest Dungeon is a perfect example of what happens when you have players who are stupid and know nothing about game design, combined with arrogant developers who want to shove their notions of balance onto everyone else. You end up with a grindy, barely playable mess of a game.

Also Dark Souls 2 is awful, what are you getting at? They can't even get movement right! If you want to understand why DS2 is awful in one example, try moving forward and slightly to the left. Either you will go forward only, or your character will "snap" to moving 45 degrees to the left. This movement snapping results in many deaths, especially because DS2 has a lot of segments that require jumping at specific angles (like the lava areas which have rocks at certain spots). The game will punish you for it's own shitty controls. Then you have the early regen ring and unlimited life gems utterly ruining the health balance (this could have easily been fixed by capping the player at 20 total life gems of all types combined), the awful branches of yore which have some branches behind others, so if you do them in the wrong order you permanently miss out on things, the largely pointless lockstones that will either give you powerful items or give you nothing, the horrible bosses with woeful hit registration fighting you in tight rooms where you can't move very much, and you have a totally unplayable mess of a game. SOTFS is even worse because the number of enemies has been arbitrarily quadrupled for "difficulty" and it just results in having to kite and chop through endless amounts of spam to actually get anywhere, which is extremely tedious and not a good way to add difficulty. Most people sum up DS2's issues as "lol Adaptability" and leave it at that, but it's far, far worse than that. Adaptability is a small issue in a vast ocean of horrendous game design choices.

Dark Souls 2 isn't just bad, it's irredeemably bad, and using it as an example of "stupid gamers not understanding game design" is asinine. Dark Souls fans probably understand gameplay FAR more than the average gamer (on account of Dark Souls being far more complex and far less accessible than the average game), and simply handwaiving their criticisms away to defend a lackluster game is disingenuous. Dark Souls 2 is horribly designed, there's no other reasonable conclusion that can be drawn given the evidence. You can like it as much as you want, taste is subjective, but it's really not a good game and the people rightly considering it awful have some very good arguments as to why. You can't simply ignore what they are saying by concluding they are stupid.

Extra Junk:
- Long Animations when picking things up. These would be acceptable if they played once, but every single time you pick something up is just obnoxious.
- The junk/crafting system adds almost nothing to the game, because there's already more than enough power available using stock weapons and ammo. This just adds an extra level of tedium to gameplay. You want that weapon upgrade? Better go find all the useless junk all over the map and melt it down for triop coins! It also makes no sense in the context of the game world - why would the security booth have guns locked behind triop coins? Do the security team have to purchase their own weapons? That's absurd. This would add some level of tension if respawns were more frequent and were unlimited (currently, spawns stop once deck security reaches 0%), because then you would have the risk vs reward element and the time taken to craft things would be a tradeoff between safety and gaining resources. As it stands now, it's just a tedious chore you have to do once you clear the deck if you want to maintain maximum viability. It's an optimal strategy, and basically incentivises time wasting for a largely unnecessary buff.
- They managed to remove all the depth from Cyberspace while adding a bunch of extra stuff. No more multi-level software, no more finding logs, codes and other information in cyberspace. I don't even care about the MFD games, they removed everything that added nuance to cyberspace. They added a bunch of extra junk instead - new enemy types, button doors, etc, that are all serviceable but not particularly great. Cyberspace is still far more mindless than it was in the original (it wasn't great there either) while adding a bunch of extra fluff. I don't actually mind the cyberspace overall, so take this as a minor criticism. I just wish they had retained the depth of the original while also making it more accessible, since Cyberspace in SS1 is CLUNKY.
- The extra intro and other "interactive cutscenes" are very clunkily executed, with awful voice acting and pacing. Waiting in your apartment to start the game is agonising on a second playthrough. The intro especially is overly long and drawn out, compared to the relatively quick intro from the original. Instead of a concise 2-3 paragraphs to set up the world, we get a completely pointless drone flythrough of New Atlantis followed by 5 minutes of questionable "gameplay" before finally actually starting in Medical. I'm sure this turned a number of people off the game instantly.

Changing a bunch of stuff for no reason:
- Certain story beats were changed, as was a lot of the dialogue, and in my opinion it sounds far less realistic and the writing quality is much worse. Emails especially are far less to the point and have a lot more pointless extra words in them.

Take for example, the first email in the game:

Rebecca Lansing (Original) said:
Employee 2-4601, listen carefully. My name is Rebecca Lansing, and I'm a counter-terrorism consultant to TriOptimum. We're tracking a disruption on Citadel Station, something involving an onboard AI called SHODAN. You are TriOp's only contact on station. Communications are out, and there is evidence of biological contamination. The mining laser is charging for a possible strike against earth. There's a man named Nathan D'Arcy who may know something about taking the laser offline. His office is near the central hub on your level. The AI is on the bridge. Once the laser is out, look for the source of the problem there. And by the way, we know all about you and your friend Diego. Pull this off, and we'll clear your record. That implant you're wearing is military grade hardware, use it well. Lansing out.

This is just my opinion, but the writing in this email is very punchy and to the point. She explains who she is, what the situation is, the immediate threat to earth, and where to look for help.

In the remake, the equivalent email is this:
Rebecca Lansing (Remake) said:
We got someone! Employee 2-4601, I'm Rebecca Lansing, a Counter-Terrorism consultant for Tri-Optimum. Here's the situation: Our scans of Citadel Station show a biological outbreak is in progress. We're in a comms blackout since SHODAN is unresponsive, and worse yet the mining laser is charging for a potential strike on Earth! Nathan D'Arcy has an office on the Medical Levels Central Hub. If he's alive, he'll bring this station under control. I'll contact you through your Military Neural Implant soon. Lansing Out!

I personally don't see any reason why this email was changed, and in my opinion, this writing is still decent but not as good. It's far slower to get to the point, gives the same information about where D'Arcy is but doesn't provide an image like the original game. She doesn't explain the location of the AI or tell you to take out the laser as your first objective (it's only implied), in fact she implies D'Arcy will do it. They also don't mention your deal with Diego at all, that's saved for another email, which in my opinion, is particularly clunkily written:

Rebecca Lansing said:
Hacker, Rebecca here. It says here that you're listed as Employee 2-4601. Diego provided that cover to you, and the Neural Implant...in exchange for what? The keys to SHODAN? Not hard to put two and two together regarding the current state of the station. Tri-Op authorized a deal: Help get the station back under control and you get a clean slate. It looks like we're partners now, and if we play this right, we can work out what Diego was- I prefer a quiet station, thank you.

I have no idea why they didn't just re-record the original audio logs and emails. The voice acting was a mixed bag in the original game, but the writing was really good. Professionals (like Lansing) were written like professionals, and were to the point. Panicked characters were written that way. Etc.

- The Music is very different and quite a lot of people consider it inferior to the original music. I personally don't mind as much as I understand they wanted to go for a more atmospheric route, and some tracks I actually like better than the originals (like the Executive track), but I can understand why this would upset people. Aparrently they are working on giving players the option to use the original music (and there are already mods for it), but IMO the music is mostly fine.
- The game is unnecessarily dark. Again, I understand going for a more atmospheric setting, and I don't hate this idea in principle, but there are some areas where visibility is so bad the game becomes nearly unplayable, even with the lights on. I understand some dark areas make a lot of sense (like the powered-down area in Reactor), but the whole game being super dark got quite old. I didn't like the overly bright tutti fruitty aesthetic of the original that much, but what I do miss is the glowing lights on the walls. These are pretty much non-existant in the remake:

SCAZYZT.png

- Despite having a full MFD, there's no way to fine-tune weapon charge (for weapons like the Sparq) through the UI. They decided to turn everything into real-world interactions as much as possible. While I can see why they would do this, it results in far less control over the overall power of weapons (now there's only 3 settings, minimum, maximum, and overcharge, rather than a full bar), it's much harder to see at a glance what level your weapon is on, and it takes away some of the identity of the original game - many games have weapons with switchable modes, and almost all of them do so through a button press. System Shock was unique in that it had a full MFD controllable with the house. This extends to other aspects of the game as well - it has a pretty standard control scheme, and it unfortunately comes across as another generic RPG/FPs hybrid as a result. The irony is, if this was called "Space Shock", people would be calling it a "stale addition to the imsim genre that doesn't really add much and feels outdated". I feel like this is because taking away the original MFD has reduced it's identity to yet another action game with an inventory. Obviously I don't think they should have completely reimplemented the original control scheme in it's entirety, as SS1 feels very clunky to play (even SS1:EE can feel pretty clunky to play), so I understand getting rid of things like going prone and the full momentum-simulation of the player. But they seem to have gone too far the other way and created a game where the UI and control scheme feels like just another FPS/RPG hybrid with a System Shock skin on it.
- The wire puzzles have gone from overly simple representations in the original game to overly complicated ones which tend to be confusing and hard to figure out as a result. I have seen multiple players get confused by the puzzles in the new game because they are so visually noisy and hard to focus on. Again, a simple MFD Representation would have been good here. They could have taken inspiration from the MFD hacking in System Shock 2 for the overall aesthetic, as it provides a clear and coherent overview of the games wire puzzles (they aren't really puzzles, it's more of a chance game in SS2, but I'm talking about the visual style).

I could go on. There's lots wrong with this remake.

All that said, I still enjoyed playing it quite a bit. Despite having a significant amount of criticism, I don't think it's awful, just sort of average, and I'm disappointed because it could have been so much better.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Also in the original: Lansing's email you can hear the scrambler in the background so it actually sounds like SHODAN is trying to block the communication which gives her all the more reason to be right to the point.

Also in the original: Lansing's email you can hear the scrambler in the background so it actually sounds like SHODAN is trying to block the communication which gives her all the more reason to be right to the point.

Interesting. I thought that was just random computer noise, since everything in sci-fi likes to sound unnecessarily bleepy and bloopy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Also Dark Souls 2 is awful, what are you getting at? They can't even get movement right! If you want to understand why DS2 is awful in one example, try moving forward and slightly to the left. Either you will go forward only, or your character will "snap" to moving 45 degrees to the left. This movement snapping results in many deaths, especially because DS2 has a lot of segments that require jumping at specific angles (like the lava areas which have rocks at certain spots). The game will punish you for it's own shitty controls. Then you have the early regen ring and unlimited life gems utterly ruining the health balance (this could have easily been fixed by capping the player at 20 total life gems of all types combined), the awful branches of yore which have some branches behind others, so if you do them in the wrong order you permanently miss out on things, the largely pointless lockstones that will either give you powerful items or give you nothing, the horrible bosses with woeful hit registration fighting you in tight rooms where you can't move very much, and you have a totally unplayable mess of a game. SOTFS is even worse because the number of enemies has been arbitrarily quadrupled for "difficulty" and it just results in having to kite and chop through endless amounts of spam to actually get anywhere, which is extremely tedious and not a good way to add difficulty. Most people sum up DS2's issues as "lol Adaptability" and leave it at that, but it's far, far worse than that. Adaptability is a small issue in a vast ocean of horrendous game design choices.

Dark Souls 2 isn't just bad, it's irredeemably bad, and using it as an example of "stupid gamers not understanding game design" is asinine. Dark Souls fans probably understand gameplay FAR more than the average gamer (on account of Dark Souls being far more complex and far less accessible than the average game), and simply handwaiving their criticisms away to defend a lackluster game is disingenuous. Dark Souls 2 is horribly designed, there's no other reasonable conclusion that can be drawn given the evidence. You can like it as much as you want, taste is subjective, but it's really not a good game and the people rightly considering it awful have some very good arguments as to why. You can't simply ignore what they are saying by concluding they are stupid.
That's probably the most retarded take on DS2 I've ever seen and I've seen A LOT of jaw-droppingly retarded takes on DS2 over the years.

This needs to be shared in the DS2 thread, ppl gonna have a blast.

ciox

Liturgist
When are they patching out the bad voice acting and shitty lighting? I'd also like it if more than three weapons were actually useful and I could boost through the retarded crawlspaces and while we're at it, patch out mandatory cyberspace segments.

In fact, just patch out the entire game.
Did you try the lighting mods on nexusmods?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Developers think that they know better than their players about balance and meta
Dark Souls 2 is awful
Case in point

:smug:

Long Animations when picking things up
Literally only happens for first time pick-ups
The junk/crafting system adds almost nothing to the game, because there's already more than enough power available using stock weapons and ammo.
You can also beat Dark Souls without ever levelling-up, so why do you do it?
Because your PC becomes more efficient and you can start playing more recklessly, which nicely and progressively turns the adventure from a fight for survival, to a cathartic rampage
This would add some level of tension if respawns were more frequent and were unlimited (currently, spawns stop once deck security reaches 0%), because then you would have the risk vs reward element and the time taken to craft things would be a tradeoff between safety and gaining resources.
That risk-reward element already exists
The player can choose whetever or not to risk getting an upgrade that will make the job of clearing the deck easier (after all, all decks have though fights in the final areas), while the deck security is above 0%
Getting security to 0% is a conquest
The proof that the player has completed the level, it was thus in the original as well
They managed to remove all the depth from Cyberspace
There's was depth to Cyberspace?
I'm sure this turned a number of people off the game instantly.
Well considering the vast majority of people, even here, have no problems with 30 minute tutorial levels or even MGS5 1 hour long hospital intro
Yeah, I think a 5 minute intro is not a serious problem for anyone
The game is unnecessarily dark.
... there are some areas where visibility is so bad the game becomes nearly unplayable, even with the lights on.
Maybe that's a sign you need some glasses?
there's no way to fine-tune weapon charge (for weapons like the Sparq) through the UI
:hmmm:

Open the inventory
Drag the mouse cursor to the weapon you want to modify
Click on the right mouse button
You'll see an option designated either "Ammo" or "Charge"
Left click on that and choose what option you want...
The wire puzzles have gone from overly simple representations in the original game to overly complicated ones which tend to be confusing and hard to figure out as a result
ssr-puzzle-1.png

ssr-puzzle-2.png

Also isn't the point of puzzles meant to be challenging to figure out...
I could go on.
With nitpicks sure
Those aren't serious failures though

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pick ups, sure, but you get to sit through charge stations, healing beds, and medi patches. You also get to enjoy every rung of every ladder and long, slow crawls through service ducts. Nightdive seems to be obsessed with making everything "real", neglecting abstraction.
Yes, there was. Going into cyberspace to unlock additional goodies in the low-rez cyberspace made sense, being traced and burned by SHODAN made sense, but best of all it was entirely optional except for the very end whereas Nightdive made their neon hell mandatory, long, and boring as hell.
I think long, pointless intros that add nothing are a huge problem for everyone. Looking Glass was able to do in two minutes back in the 90s what Nightdive failed to do with 5. Wandering around the apartment adds nothing.
Quit hanging around in gay nightclubs and groping around in the dark.
Too bad they aren't, they're tedious due to the awkward way in which you interact with them. Yet another case where abstraction wins over realism. This game is a mess and it's designed by people who have no clue why games work.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
you get to sit through charge stations, healing beds, and medi patches.
Non-issue
It's just a couple of seconds
And in the case of patches and charging it prevents the player from spaming them during combat

Going into cyberspace to unlock additional goodies in the low-rez cyberspace made sense
It also makes sense for a hacker to, you know... hack, network terminals to take control over from the AI

that add nothing
It adds to world building and the charm of the game
Plus since it's brief, it's also harmless

Is that the voice of experience I hear? :-D

the awkward way in which you interact with them.
I thought they were quite straightfoward
Turn the pieces to form the right path, plug the cables that give the right amount of power

Long Animations when picking things up

Are we playing the same game, or do you need glasses? Every key, log, and other "important" item you pick up has an animation every single time.

And in the case of patches and charging it prevents the player from spaming them during combat

Chargers already sink into the ground and are unusable for a while after being used (which is actually a positive improvement over the original game, IMO), and med patches already have a use animation, PLUS they heal over time. These issues are already resolved without obnoxious animations.

The junk/crafting system adds almost nothing to the game, because there's already more than enough power available using stock weapons and ammo.
You can also beat Dark Souls without ever levelling-up, so why do you do it?
Because your PC becomes more efficient and you can start playing more recklessly, which nicely and progressively turns the adventure from a fight for survival, to a cathartic rampage

You have missed the point of my criticism entirely.

It doesn't matter if I can technically beat the game without using the mechanics, or whether or not I should. It's still an optimal strategy and it's still a really boring set of mechanics that only adds tedium to the game for no benefit.

This would add some level of tension if respawns were more frequent and were unlimited (currently, spawns stop once deck security reaches 0%), because then you would have the risk vs reward element and the time taken to craft things would be a tradeoff between safety and gaining resources.
That risk-reward element already exists
The player can choose whetever or not to risk getting an upgrade that will make the job of clearing the deck easier (after all, all decks have though fights in the final areas), while the deck security is above 0%

True, but why would they?

That's literally how optimal strategies work, You CAN do them suboptimally, but that's a stupid way to play.

Once deck security reaches 0%, which it will just through normal play, it's just tedious.

The only argument you could make here is that you can take a risk to get upgrades slightly earlier - risk some respawns in exchange for getting an upgrade while clearing a deck, rather than afterwards. This would hold more weight if it wasn't already quite easy to clear decks even without upgrades, they just make you more overpowered for the next deck.

Getting security to 0% is a conquest
The proof that the player has completed the level, it was thus in the original as well

In the original, respawns were completely unrelated to deck security. Each enemy spawner had a preset number of enemies it would be allowed to spawn at once, and it was independent of deck security. As a result, in the original version, delaying yourself at any point would have consequences. Every puzzle you take time to complete would risk respawns at the same rate regardless of deck security. You were never safe and had to be quick to not get overwhelmed.

In the remake this is changed to scale down until deck security hits 0% where it stops completely.

Even if getting a deck to 0% security was a challenge (it's not), having it at a low number (like 5%) will still slow the respawns to the point of being largely negligible, and you should naturally get deck security that low by killing normal enemies on your way to the objective, as long as you also take out the CPU nodes, which are right next to the reactor code terminals anyway.

While the lack of respawning affects the crafting system in a very negative way because it reduces a lot of the risk from wasting time and replaces it with tedium, it has a knock-on effect that affects the whole game negatively.

They managed to remove all the depth from Cyberspace

Cyberspace offered multiple weapon tiers, different special-use softs to deal with harder enemies, hidden caches of data (often containing codes), and a few other neat things. It wasn't the deepest thing ever, but all of that is gone in the remake, it's now literally just flying around shooting at things.

I'm sure this turned a number of people off the game instantly.
Well considering the vast majority of people, even here, have no problems with 30 minute tutorial levels or even MGS5 1 hour long hospital intro

The problem isn't it's length. The problem is that it's terribly acted, clunky, and extremely cringe. It may only be 5 minutes but it feels like 20 minutes sitting in your apartment waiting for the code to crack so you can start the game, listening to the cringe news broadcasts.

The game is unnecessarily dark.
... there are some areas where visibility is so bad the game becomes nearly unplayable, even with the lights on.

At least I can see how the basic mechanics work, something you clearly demonstrated you don't understand.

there's no way to fine-tune weapon charge (for weapons like the Sparq) through the UI

Open the inventory
Drag the mouse cursor to the weapon you want to modify
Click on the right mouse button
You'll see an option designated either "Ammo" or "Charge"
Left click on that and choose what option you want...

That only gives you the same options you get via the keybind - low, high and overcharge.

I will reiterate (and you should really read this carefully, perhaps you need glasses)
there's no way to fine-tune weapon charge (for weapons like the Sparq) through the UI.

In the original we had a full bar. In the remake we have 3 preset options.

Also, the inventory way of changing this is extrmely clunky. You need to open the full screen UI, right click on things, and use menus.

In SS:EE I can just press E, click anywhere on the bar in the corner of the screen, and it's good to go.

The UI experience here is worse, for fewer options.

The wire puzzles have gone from overly simple representations in the original game to overly complicated ones which tend to be confusing and hard to figure out as a result
ssr-puzzle-1.png

ssr-puzzle-2.png

Puzzles are supposed to be hard to solve. But when the difficulty of a puzzle comes from it being confusing and hard to understand what's going on exactly, vs a difficult logical challenge, then it's a badly designed puzzle.

These puzzles suffer from poor visual communication of the states of nodes, and are very visually noisy, which makes them unnecessarily complicated and annoying to complete.

The actual challenge of connecting the wires isn't that hard. It's just the bad art direction on them.

This is not hard to understand, and arguing that puzzles should be hard doesn't excuse bad interface design or unnecessarily complicating them for no reason.

I could go on.
With nitpicks sure
Those aren't serious failures though

Any serious failure can seem minor when you handwaive it away with flimsy justifications.

I think long, pointless intros that add nothing are a huge problem for everyone. Looking Glass was able to do in two minutes back in the 90s what Nightdive failed to do with 5. Wandering around the apartment adds nothing.

It's more that it's a clumsy, awkward intro, rather than it's length or it adding nothing. The 5 minute interactive intro is vastly inferior to the movie from the original. What was punchy, stylish, and to the point has been replaced with long periods of waiting, dead air, awkward dialogue, and unskippable "gameplay" that ages poorly on repeat playthroughs

Are you seriously going to degenerate this thread down into schoolyard insults?

HAHA ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IMPLIED HOMOSEXUALITY HAHA.

Shut up.

Too bad they aren't, they're tedious due to the awkward way in which you interact with them. Yet another case where abstraction wins over realism. This game is a mess and it's designed by people who have no clue why games work.

The problem is that they are impossible to read. The wire puzzles especially have so many extra junctions and pieces that can be rotated which do absolutely nothing, and I have seen multiple players get tripped up by these red herrings repeatedly. It's not "clever" to do that, it's just annoying.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Are we playing the same game, or do you need glasses?
I don't know. What game did you play?
Because only items the player has never picked up before have animation.

These issues are already resolved without obnoxious animations.
Bro, the animations is what prevents the spamming
If there was no animation, people could just click on the item hotkey and get insta-healed/charged

At least I can see how the basic mechanics work, something you clearly demonstrated you don't understand.
Says the guy that thinks DS2 is a badly designed game... :roll:

That only gives you the same options you get via the keybind - low, high and overcharge.
And that's enough
It already serves it's mechanical purpose

But when the difficulty of a puzzle comes from it being confusing and hard to understand

Also, the inventory way of changing this is extrmely clunky.
:retarded:

Any serious failure can seem minor when you handwaive it away with flimsy justifications.
>serious failure
>muh I have to right click on things

Nigga get real :lol:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Are you seriously going to degenerate this thread down into schoolyard insults?

HAHA ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IMPLIED HOMOSEXUALITY HAHA.

Shut up.

Yes I am. The entire space station is lit up in bisexual lighting, not only is it visually busy and unpleasant to look at, but it takes forever to find anything. The original game may be ugly, but hazards and items are instantly recognizable and distinguishable from useless props.

Non-issue

You couldn't heal instantly with a medi-patch in the original, spamming them does very little good.

Plus since it's brief, it's also harmless

For you, but I don't. This is no different than having to sit through the wagon ride in Skyrim, the fake apartment in Prey, or any other game that decides that the player needs to muddle through five to twenty minutes of pointless crap every time they want to start a new game. You also need to explain how a non-interactive drone flight lead-in to an interactive, but pointless apartment adds anything to the game that the original intro didn't cover in less than half the time. It adds nothing to the game that wasn't already there in the original, all it does it pad the game out.

It also makes sense for a hacker to, you know... hack, network terminals to take control over from the AI

You completely skip my complaint. It doesn't make sense is forcing the player to muddle through a shitty descent clone every step of the way and forcing them to do it again from the start if they fail.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The point about lighting is true, I've said a while ago the whole color palette is like a 1970 Amsterdam disco gay club for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom