Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I don't know him but he seems refreshing. He's not just talk but actually give exemples.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
On the "no one buys games they never played on GOG" front, I have bought a ton. I don't know about you bros but in the 90s and early 00s I had to carefully balance my gaming time and getting drunk banging chicks time, so I missed a lot of classics. Now I'm old, married and bored and have plenty of time to catch up.

Do 16 years take a break from Halo to play Ultima VII though? Fuck no, of course not.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me, DX:HR was 1st "great" game since Bloodlines. That makes 7 (?) years of shit.

And this was how the shit started:

bill-gates-xbox.jpg

Kirtai

Augur
So does this version ship with that mysterious 2.4 patch that lets you play the game on modern systems without any mods?
Yes, it appears so. Currently running it at 1920x1200 straight from GOG :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want Arkane to make Arx Fatalis 2 and leave the SS franchise rest in peace.

Also:
SS2 design document said:
Part of Shock’s unique appeal is the fact that it brought the vibe of the Underworld dungeon crawl into a science fiction setting. Primarily, Shock was at heart a real role-playing game, not an action shooter. However, certain members of the press and the gaming public mistook it for a Doom clone, somewhat limiting the product’s commercial success. With Junction Point, we are clearly setting out to make a role-playing game, not only embracing the sense of role-playing that Shock provided, but expanding on it.

Yeah, no.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I don't want Bethesda to be involved in any games I love, ever. Not even just as the publishers.

Gozma

Arcane
"RPG elements" (as in level-ups of abilities etc.) and survival horror really go well together because it recasts XP as one more resource to manage and tradeoff the same way you manage how many bullets and health restores you are using. Inventory management is another shared element.

I wish there were more games like that - a halfass reworking of Fallout: New Vegas into survival horror, which Obsidian did with the Dead Money DLC, was fantastic. That one also had "RPG elements" in other senses like great dialog and characters to interact with to define the PC, too.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Also:
SS2 design document said:
Part of Shock’s unique appeal is the fact that it brought the vibe of the Underworld dungeon crawl into a science fiction setting. Primarily, Shock was at heart a real role-playing game, not an action shooter. However, certain members of the press and the gaming public mistook it for a Doom clone, somewhat limiting the product’s commercial success. With Junction Point, we are clearly setting out to make a role-playing game, not only embracing the sense of role-playing that Shock provided, but expanding on it.

Yeah, no.

Well, at the time anything that was first person and had guns was pretty much considered a doom clone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom