Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

BobtheTree

Savant
And The Bard's Tale is now on your iPad/smart phone. Your point?

spekkio

Arcane
PC? Check.
Old? Check.
Universally considered good? Check.
Has ANY RPG elements? Check.
Not released by filthy japanese? Check.

I think moving to cRPG was inevitable.

:roll:

Shows how desperate some mods Codex actually is: "RPGCodex - if you know about any good games (except Fallout 1) which can be called cRPGs, let us know".

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My point is that you need to L2READ: "For all those modern RPGs that have been designed for consoles as their target audience. Includes console only titles and games that had a multi-platform release on launch day."

I wasn't the one who made that shit up, if it was up to me it would still be General RPG Discussion. But it's the way it is. Also, inb4 "b-but morrowind was released first on the PC!"

Gord

Arcane
PC? Check.
Old? Check.
Universally considered good? Check.
Has ANY RPG elements? Check.
Not released by filthy japanese? Check.

I think moving to cRPG was inevitable.

:roll:

Shows how desperate some mods Codex actually is: "RPGCodex - if you know about any good games (except Fallout 1) which can be called cRPGs, let us know".

:lol:

Today it would be considered aRPG for sure.
Back in the days... I don't remember what category it was considerd at the time, honestly.
Of course, we could overhaul the categories yet again and use "character-skill based rpgs (BG,IWD,NWN,etc.)" and "player-skill based rpgs (TW2, SS2, Skyrim, etc.).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No, fuck those retarded categories. All RPGs involve player skill in one way or the other. Otherwise it wouldn't be a game to begin with.

SS2 is a FP action game.

spekkio

Arcane
^
SS2 is not TB RTWP ISO, so of course it's not cRPG.

:obviously:

By Codex' standards.
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
CRPGs which don't really rely on twitch skills are those of the turn-based variety, like ToEE. In that game you don't even need to be quick on the spacebar... All you need is a beer, some pretzels and no interruptions!

Multi-headed Cow

My point is that you need to L2READ: "For all those modern RPGs that have been designed for consoles as their target audience. Includes console only titles and games that had a multi-platform release on launch day."

I wasn't the one who made that shit up, if it was up to me it would still be General RPG Discussion. But it's the way it is. Also, inb4 "b-but morrowind was released first on the PC!"
But Xbox Morrowind was released after the PC version.

FLANK ATTACK!

Captain Shrek

Ultima was released for consoles. So was might and magic.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But they weren't developed as multiplatform titles. (Morrowind was, albeit just barely. I still think that it should not be in the console forum, but the moderators disagree.)

Captain Shrek

But they weren't developed as multiplatform titles. (Morrowind was, albeit just barely. I still think that it should not be in the console forum, but the moderators disagree.)
The point is that it does not matter which platform. It matters how good.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No one expects the Nazi hybrids.

3JNFDQ3.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've managed to incite the mob agains GOG's greedy ways :kfc:

http://af.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/giving_credit_to_the_actual_patch_authors?as=1649904300

Now that it's been more or less confirmed that this version uses the 2012 New Dark patch (released by Le Corbeau on Ariane4ever) integrated into an older version (v. 4.0) of SS2Tool (containing various bugfixes by several authors and maintained by Kolya on Systemshock.org) I think it's time for GOG to explain why no credit was given to any of those patch authors. Wait, scratch that: Not only was no public credit given whatsoever, Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios and Guillaume Rambourg of GOG.com actually proclaimed themselves as the "expert tech ninjas" patching the game to its released state (see http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/ ).

Now, as NewDark was released anonymously, there is still a slim chance that a private agreement was reached with Le Corbeau or that Le Corbau himself is connected to Night Dive Studios. But again, as NewDark is based on the Thief 2 source code which belongs to Eidos, this is highly unlikely, being the potential cause for a lawsuit (which still applies, of course, as NewDark is part of this release).
Still, this does not apply to the author and co-authors auf the SS2Tool. Systemshock.org has long been an active website for System Shock modding and bugfixing and most of the programmers and mod builders there can be reached for comment easily.

So, long story short, what gives, GOG?

BobtheTree

Savant
Yea...GOG is soooooooooo greedy. :roll:

Sure, it's sketchy, but I imagine they had good intentions behind it (getting it to run on modern systems). I have a feeling they signed the game and rushed it out there instead of taking the time to connect everything. But yes, credit/permission should be given to/by the fan patch makers.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yea...GOG is soooooooooo greedy. :roll:

Sure, it's sketchy, but I imagine they had good intentions behind it (getting it to run on modern systems). I have a feeling they signed the game and rushed it out there instead of taking the time to connect everything. But yes, credit/permission should be given to/by the fan patch makers.
The good intentions become kind of dubious when money gets involved and you use other people's work without even a hint of acknowledgement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom