Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah that's why I'm wondering where the money is ultimately going. From what I understand the game has been in licensing hell.

My guess is that profits will somehow be split between these Night Dive guys and Meadowbrook Insurance Group which owns all of LGS's assets. EA probably gave their approval for the deal with no compensation, for PR purposes, just like they did with Wasteland.

spekkio

Arcane
Infinitron said:
SS1 is more-or-less freeware at this point
So, when something can be leeched off the webz, it means it's freeware?
Infinitron pls

No, but when fansites that refuse to distribute the equally unavailable (until now) SS2 are freely distributing SS1, one wonders whether there is some tacit agreement here.
SS1 is so fucking old that nobody cares anymore. Newfags cannot into no mouselook (unitl Malba Tahan's mod).
I hope GoG licences SS1 as well and forces abandonwarefags to remove it from their sites.

:smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So it can help fund new classics like Witcher 3, amirite?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
According to Levine Bioshock = SS3 so then Bioshock 2 is SS4 and Bioshock Infinite is SS5!

Oesophagus

Arcane
So that the rights to SS2 have been more or less sorted out, I wonder if we'll see SS3 anytime in the future

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apart from Levine, the only person who could, in theory, give it a try is Doug Church. But he's at Valve now, so fat chance.

Unless you want someone totally unrelated to SS1 or 2 to do it.

Captain Shrek

I would rather a new IP. Please let the Corpse rest in peace. It has suffered enough abuse as it is from earlier Frankensteination.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All joke aside, Valve could probably make a really good System Shock. They're good at level design, art direction, fps mechanics, not raping lore, and Ravenholm had a nice creepy atmosphere.

Of course this would mean Valve would have to make a SP only game, which they said they're done doing.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well, Eidos Montreal did a decent* job of a DX sequel, and I don't think there was anyone from Ion Storm there. And the name 'System Shock' alone could bring enough nostalgia jewgolds on kickstarter...

edit:

All joke aside, Valve could probably make a really good System Shock. They're good at level design, art direction, fps mechanics, not raping lore, and Ravenholm had a nice creepy atmosphere.
Also Valve would need to implement RPG mechanics, and I don't think they ever did that

*I know this is the codex, so I'll repeat that word: decent , not great, not fantastic, - decent

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen many Looking Glass Studios esque games on kickstarter. The only one I've seen is Consortium which failed hard.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen many Looking Glass Studios esque games on kickstarter. The only one I've seen is Consortium which failed hard.
Well, those games were usually pushing the limits of the current PCs when they came out originally, so it's a bit beyond the scope of a KS campaign, maybe.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well, Eidos Montreal did a shitty job of a DX sequel

Fixed that for ya.

yb28rZE.gif

spekkio

Arcane
For me, DX:HR was 1st "great" game since Bloodlines. That makes 7 (?) years of shit.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS: Although Bioshock is in some ways a spiritual successor to System Shock and its sequel, they are very different. Shock 2 is much more RPG-like, with a full inventory and skill progression paths. Do you think the weight of demand is partly because there hasn’t been anything quite like it since?
Kick: SS2 had an innovative design that formed the foundation for many modern games while seamlessly blending the best of both the FPS and RPG genre. No other developer has been able to replicate that sweet spot, and I think that’s really special.

Kick: Bioshock was definitely more approachable for console gamers, and I think if they had made the game as challenging as System Shock it would have alienated that market. It’s difficult to keep everyone happy these days when the success of a game is determined by units sold or a Metacritic score. Ultimately, I hope that introducing SS2 to new gamers will inspire them to expect more from their gaming experiences.

RPS: Along with the Thief games, Shock 2 perfectly fits my definition of a ‘good old game’. It comes from a time when first-person games seemed to be exploring new environments and methods of interacting with the world, something that appears to be on the rise again, with such as Dishonored and Human Revolution going some way toward reviving the tradition. But how important a part of PC gaming history do you reckon Shock 2 is?
Kick: Like I mentioned before I think SS2 laid the foundation for future games that blend genres. What I really loved with SS2 that Deus Ex and Dishonored exercised was the decision not to include a full multiplayer component. Personally, if I play a game I want it to be one or the other. The expectation of including a multiplayer component to a single player centric game is completely unrealistic and sometimes I feel it’s just an excuse to add another feature on the back of the box. It may seem obvious, but you’re essentially asking your studio to develop two games simultaneously which often comes with sacrificing the quality of both the single player and the multiplayer. Overall you end up with a mediocre experience. All three of these games remedy the lack of multiplayer with an experience you can enjoy multiple times, each time in a completely new way. SS2 has three distinct classes with dramatically different play styles that are challenging and fun to master all their own.

Whoever this Stephen Kick guy is he certainly makes me go...:love:! Definitely want to hear what his company is up to in the future as he certainly says the right things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom