Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 Mod Guide

palmito

Educated
==================
Shock Community Patch
==================

Shock Community Patch (SCP) is a general bugfix mod/patch for System Shock2. It picks up right where ADaoB has left, fixing even more anomalies, disrepanciens and oughtright bugs, and also making use of some of the new features that have been added by the NewDark engine update. And, unlike ADaoB, it tries to stay as close to the original gameplay as possible, only fixing what was broken, and not changing the game mechanics. Therefore, it can be recommended to both veterans and first-time players alike. Short list of improvements, fixes and features:

-many fixes and tweaks to textures, level geometry, objects, sounds, physics and more
-previously broken gamesys functionality restored
-levels have been relit using 32-bit lighting ("soft" shadows from the SS2 NewDark demo)
-improved particle systems (sparks, smoke, water drops)
-improved animated lights
-stays true to the vanilla gameplay (no changes to the core game mechanics)

This patch is meant to be used together with the latest NewDark version of the SHTUP mod, which fixes and improves many object textures. While you can use SCP without SHTUP, this is not recommended, as some texture fixes are SHTUP exclusive. Other resource mods (world texture, mesh, sound etc) are optional.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do these new mods work with the old respawn mods floating around and/or the tweak for respawns in the official patch? I always like to tone down the respawns so it's not like I'm playing COD or Bioshock. Loses the fear factor for mine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do these new mods work with the old respawn mods floating around and/or the tweak for respawns in the official patch? I always like to tone down the respawns so it's not like I'm playing COD or Bioshock. Loses the fear factor for mine.

Dunno about any mods but I think the cfg tweak should work.

I only ever played SS2 in the original graphics, so I'm unable to make comparisons, but I still think I'll like it in widescreen hi-res whenever I get arount to replaying it. I tend to always prefer old games in high resolutions, whenever a fix is available, but maybe the subtler points of the original "visual experience" are just lost on me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
wat

Textures don't shrink in high resolution. You're confusing textures and 2D GUI elements. (and the latter can also be configured to scale up, btw)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In case anybody doesn't know, uncommenting "d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64" in cam_ext.cfg makes the GUI elements, including font sizes, to scale up so they aren't tiny at HD resolutions.

Code:
; enable scaling of in-game 2D overlay (HUD), makes the things like current item/weapon text, or SS2
; HUD/panels, larger at resolutions of 1280x960 or higher with pixel perfect scaling (requires "use_d3d_display")
; NOTE: Enabling scaling may actually improve performance, especially at high resolutions.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Do you agree, that SS2 is best played in 640x480 with original textures? I think at higher resolution, you loose fine details. Like circuitry graphics. Shapes aren't ass impressive too at higher res. The geometry is better presented in VGA. I think, because it seems more organic and less edged. With 32 bit lighting, it should be more even more monocled.

I tend to play all the classics as closely to the original as possible. Of course when increasing resolution doesn't negatively affect the experience I'm all for it, but for Dark Engine games, I don't really see a benefit going higher than 1024x768 if you're going 4:3(yeah I run on a 17 inch CRT, the ONLY WAY TO FLY). The thing is that the original devs created their world, textures, and models within the limitations of tech and often when models get a higher polycount or the resolution gets upped, then the textures need to be altered too, so they still look fine. Problems arise when modders start to add their own models and textures which often look ridiculously out of place(Rebirth Cyborg Midwife) and lose the unsettling look and fear factor with it. LGS worked with the low poly models, bringing out the character of their 'monsters' using just the right textures and animations. Nowadays devs and modders miss this crucial point, thinking that just making a good looking and well textured model automatically makes it 'better' than the original, without realising that everything that made the original scary and unsettling is lost.

Yeah, that old tweak is what I usually had been using in the past, but I also found several mods that change the level of respawn ecology on each level from none at all, to insane. Was curious if those hand crafted mods were messed up by the newer mods that also seem to dig through the actual levels.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
LGS worked with the low poly models, bringing out the character of their 'monsters' using just the right textures and animations. Nowadays devs and modders miss this crucial point, thinking that just making a good looking and well textured model automatically makes it 'better' than the original, without realising that everything that made the original scary and unsettling is lost.

FYI Irrational Games (not LGS, sorry) regretted using low poly models for creatures in SS2. It was a mistake - they actually had a higher poly budget than they thought.

Yeah, that old tweak is what I usually had been using in the past, but I also found several mods that change the level of respawn ecology on each level from none at all, to insane. Was curious if those hand crafted mods were messed up by the newer mods that also seem to dig through the actual levels.

Well, if those mods use the same files as the mods in the link in OP, then they obviously conflict. Check the filenames.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

LGS worked with the low poly models, bringing out the character of their 'monsters' using just the right textures and animations. Nowadays devs and modders miss this crucial point, thinking that just making a good looking and well textured model automatically makes it 'better' than the original, without realising that everything that made the original scary and unsettling is lost.

FYI Irrational Games (not LGS, sorry) regretted using low poly models for creatures in SS2. It was a mistake - they actually had a higher poly budget than they thought.

Sigh, yeah...Irrational Games. But your pedantism is futile as it was CO-DEVELOPED between LGS and IG, and Ken and a few others were at LGS before making IG, so yeah,...it's the same shit ;) . Oh and regardless of whether they accidentally used low poly models or not, the end result is the same. They thought they were restricted and worked accordingly. I remember they whined about the low poly count back in 2000 in a postmortem in some mag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

New and updated mods:

Olfred's Fixed Objects: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=5982 (requires shtup_model_fix.zip compatibility update for SHTUP, scroll to bottom of OP: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22)

This package fixes many small imperfections of SS2 objects - missing polys, z-fighting, incorrect texturing etc.

Rebirth 3! With gibs!! https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8

This updates the 02 version with hipoly gore (ripped off head, leg and arms), and the suicide ghost model. The new models were made by Olfred, the original ghost texture by Muzman.

Improved Black Egg model: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4139

To support all these new mod files, two mod managers are now available:

Blue Mod Manager: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4790.0
Zee Mod Manager: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=5231.0

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

Updated mods:

Olfred's Fixed Objects v08: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=5982

Rebirth 3a: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8

This version includes the hires gibs for the sake of convenience, and also resolves the compatibility problem with some FMs (Ponterbee). SS2 v2.43 or newer required.

"Four Hundred" texture mod r17: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4240

Annelid Grub Pod models 1.02: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4139

It looks like Kolya is getting all of his mods "SCP-ready".

agris

Arcane
Patron
When is the SCP beta supposed to come out? I've never played SS2, so since time isn't an issue, I'd rather play the game as it was 'meant' to be played.

DraQ

Arcane
First, it kills any atmosphere by adding a ghostly side-kick/love interest that appears every 5 seconds to shout some baldy voiced fake french accent nonsense ("we must find a way to stop SHODAN, mon ami"). Not happy with that, enemies are level scaled. Expect zombies mid-game to one-shot you even when wearing armor, unless you boost endurance. Then it completely fucks resource management and the combat by making enemies immune to most weapons. Turrets, robots and cameras can only be destroyed by energy weapons, monkeys only by psi blasts and mid-wifes only by fucking explosives! Want to fire a grenade at turrets or use the laser rapier on zombies? TOO BAD. Also, they removed the cross-hair in favor of auto-aim, cause fuck you.
:whatho:

TripJack

Hedonist
scp feature overview from readme, more detailed change list also available in readme :bounce:
SCP makes the following changes:
● Literally hundreds of tweaks to object positioning to fix floating, misalignments, etc.
● Even more tweaks to terrain texturing to fix tiling errors, scale errors, wrong texture errors, poor placement, consistency, etc.
● Subtle (and occasionally not-so-subtle… but mostly subtle) improvements to level architecture.
● Certain nonsensical areas made more sensical via minor cosmetic additions.
Improved signage for some of the more confusing areas.
● Enhanced object animations.
● Corrected object scales and physics dimensions.
● Corrected and improved sound propagation.
● Corrected typos and inconsistent terminology in text strings.
● Minor fixes and enhancements to some of the quest logging.
● Many more objects uniquely identified in the HUD.
● Fixed many upside-down objects not behaving correctly.
● Fixed missing or incorrect impact and footstep sounds.
● Used some previously unused resources (sounds, models).
● Fixed issues in many object models (z-fighting, missing polys, etc).
● Sourceless lights given light sources.
● Upgraded lightmap color depth from 16-bit to 32-bit (no more banding).
● Additional animated lighting effects.
● Enhanced particle effects.
● Enhanced weapon projectile and impact effects.
● Effects of certain weapons made more logically consistent.
● New dynamic training system. If you bypass all training in the first level, immersion-breaking “help consoles” are removed from later in the game.

improved signage??? scp confirmed for casuals

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is Tacticool ever going to finish his mod or do we have to unleash the Lithuanian hitmen?

voodoo47

Learned
if you mean Mercurius, he still is around so maybe he will, but there is also a good chance of someone else picking this up and finishing the rest of the models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom