Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Tencent owns System Shock
:despair:
I wanted to write some witty joke but this shit is too depressing.:negative:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Literally every movie you've watched with any kind of effects budget the last 10 years was partially funded by China. No one really gives a shit, for better or worse.

ADL

Prophet
Literally every movie you've watched with any kind of effects budget the last 10 years was partially funded by China. No one really gives a shit, for better or worse.
Not only back-end investments either. I'd estimate a good third of every big budget movie I saw in theaters for last two years had their title card at the beginning too. As long as they're not collecting obscene amounts of telemetry data during play or managing a client that's meant to run 24/7 on my system, I don't really care.

They're a major player in entertainment going forward. Get used to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not only back-end investments either. I'd estimate a good third of every big budget movie I saw in theaters for last two years had their title card at the beginning too. As long as they're not collecting obscene amounts of telemetry data during play or managing a client that's meant to run 24/7 on my system, I don't really care.

See, I'm pretty much the opposite. China knowing what Epic games I bother to download doesn't bother me at all. What are they gonna do with my email address and game preferences? Invade the Philippines? Don't care. However movies being funded by China and therefore tailored to China's cultural norms and propaganda? Fuck that. That shit bothers me waaaaay more.

Sentinel

Arcane

See, I'm pretty much the opposite. China knowing what Epic games I bother to download doesn't bother me at all. What are they gonna do with my email address and game preferences? Invade the Philippines? Don't care. However movies being funded by China and therefore tailored to China's cultural norms and propaganda? Fuck that. That shit bothers me waaaaay more.
lol you already have games censored to tailor chinese tastes and culture, and you're worried about the trash hollywood produces? who the fuck cares. games have a way bigger influence on young kids nowadays than movies do.

ADL

Prophet
Yeah either way you're going to have corporations bending to the influence of China. Last year explicitly demonstrated how quickly Western capitalists will throw Western values down the toilet if it means more money. At least with Tencent they're probably getting a sizable budget that they would've been unable to acquire otherwise.

Also it's not just game preferences and your email address. Your email address cross referenced with other data they've already acquired? Connect those data sets and they quickly can build a digital profile on you that's more encompassing than your government's.

The Chinese, especially Chinese officials, have no tolerance for the degenerate garbage that comes out of Hollywood--culturally speaking. In many ways, culture is likely to improve with Chinese influence, unless you're happy with where Hollywood has shifted culture in the West.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Taking the System Shock franchise forward" could be interpreted rather broadly. What exactly do they own? We need to get a comment on this from Nightdive Studios.

KrashToday at 9:41 PM
@Alyssa Marshall might be weird but is there any way you could make a post/reply clarifying that Nightdive still owns the franchise before the rumour mill articles start flying out?

Alyssa MarshallToday at 9:42 PM
Unfortunately, I am only allowed to say so much on the matter at this point in time.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
After falling flat on their faces with Underworld Ascendant, it'll be interesting to see how Otherside will fare with Tencent's unlimited funds at their disposal. Will it be popamole trash like Bioshock? Will it be another aimless, undercooked proof-of-concept-demo like Underworld Ascendant? Or will it be an actual good game that is a worthy successor to the first two System Shock games? I'm legitimately curious now.

Either way, it will almost certainly be better than the unnecessary remake of the first one, which is struggling terribly to hold a candle to a 26 year old game. And if it sucks, at least I'll have a legit reason to be hating on Tencent other than stale NPC memes about Winnie the Pooh, social credit and alleged spyware in the Epic Launcher.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure Otherside will develop the game. The tweet sounds like they're passing it on. I could see Tencent opening a new studio and just bringing in Warren Spector to oversee development.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm not sure Otherside will develop the game. The tweet sounds like they're passing it on. I could see Tencent opening a new studio and just bringing in Warren Spector to oversee development.
This would be proof OtherSide really was in it only for the money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This would be proof OtherSide really was in it only for the money.

Well, they needed money to be in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom