Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

SumDrunkGuy

PC the Master Gaming Platform, where beloved franchises go to die.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'd bet Tencent would try to make at least a game out of this, not F2P or mulitplayer, but a singleplayer game that they think would cater western PC/console audience.

Recently Chinese and Korean game publishers are trying to diversify their portfolio amidst of the Chinese government's gaming crackdown. You may have noticed recent attempts either by themselves (Lies of P, Where Winds Meet, ...) or by hiring devs experienced in those games (Calisto Protocol, snatching Yakuza creator from SEGA, ...).

I'm pretty sure one of Tencent's western studios will make System Shock 3. Probably a AAA game modeled after Calisto Protocol and Dead Space remake.

(And it would be funny if they entrust System Shock 3 to Calisto Protocol devs, considering how Dead Space was almost System Shock 3. Yeah Calisto Protocol devs are not part of Tencent, but it has some stakes in the parent company.)

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Nobody has stopped an enterprising new band of designers from making a game about a bigass space station taken over by a murderous AI. It is the most bland, most generic sort of idea out there. The one missing thing would be the brand. And having the brand, or even generous dev money, could never replace talent and drive.

You mean like "Prey"?

GG Bethesda marketing for labeling that game with their shame of Human Head. Imagine how well it could have done if not for the recoil over the cancellation of HH's Prey 2.

[Pete Hines screwing over Tommy].gif

Prey (2017) also felt more like a LGS game than the pure fuck you and shit in your mailbox of Underworld Ascendant's production. (Okay, the QA who spent 1500+ hours and the CM were trying, and Tim Stellmach, but not sure what the first producer was doing besides give bad excuses at launch.) Who the fuck forgets a save system after being reminded about it for three years? Somewhere in the time between the names were actually making games and delivering that hot mess, OSE's management decided that they really hated their fans. Even afterwards the spite was shown in DVD jewel cases LARPing as Big Boxes and spam posts for Crowfall. But System Shock 3 was probably another hot mess, especially with the design of PHAUXDAN - which is surprising for how much they were showing off the graphics on a couple of other set pieces to bait publishers.

Expecting a System Shock from Warren Spector without a Doug Church is like Ultima from Richard Garriott without everyone else - we're unfortunately in the worst timeline with those two full of auteur.

Edit: Not butthurt, just marveling at the tendency for all of the folks who once talked shit about EA do worse to customers all on their own and create the worst timeline. Peter Molyneux, Richard Garriott, Chris Roberts, Paul Neurath, and Warren Spactor. There are a bunch I've left out but those are the ones who have dipped into crowdfunding. I'm not mourning their careers as most of them have been irrelevant for a decade or more to the genres they come crawling back to with seemingly no clue what they said they were going to make - I'm mourning the legacy of titles the communities for each showed more care over the years than those who supposedly were the brain trust behind the franchise and the entire reason why anyone threw any money in their directions.

End of day, Tencent SS3.

What about OSE SS3, you ask? RIP and burn. Those voice lines for OSE's SS3 were laughable. "I can see you wherever you are!" IIRC. Well, uh, no shit. Compared to her classic lines that teaser was just bad. I guess OSE were trying for the "running on a potato" thing, too?

It would have been better if SS just stayed in Night Dive's hands as part of the cast of Blood and their other FPS re-fakes for ultra-casuals.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Oh, it looks like they were either bitchslapped out of their own trademarks or acquired, the latter is more likely from how the Argos registration has Otherside Entertainment on it.

And don't forget what's now most important to actual development of video games:

GSXThbD.png

Conclusion: Paul Neurath and Warren Spector are now selling employees as NFTs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom