Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Thick Ass Thieves
(Put the hyphen wherever you'd like and call it an innovation for emergent gameplay.)

A USPTO search shows that a year ago (almost to the date) the first filing for "THICK AS THIEVES" was finally put to an end after a history since July 2018 of looking like Underworld Ascendant's design.
Hopefully, their new filing for the same - made in December of 2021 - can be the a company first to do something completely and competently before they try to cash out on it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
their new filing for the same - made in December of 2021

I find it interesting, because Boston team's stealth game supposed to be a D&D game, it will definitely be owned by WotC, the rights holder and (probably) a publisher of the game. Maybe they have other plans for Thick as Thieves?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
UvBcLuS.png

The first TAT (lol) application was a prolonged mess with timing of filing that suggested that OSE were planning on going right from throwing in the towel on UA and running right into Thick as Thieves, and they tried to keep it going for as long as possible that yes Thick as Thieves was an actual product being worked on from 2018 to 2021 for the USPTO.

That same timing would also suggest Rich Gallup's initial purpose for hiring was as Producer for Thick as Thieves and he got landed with being put on pulling UA into a more acceptable state along with finishing the contractually-obligated console ports for 505 Games.

The dead OSE trademark is for: (ABANDONED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, pants and hats
The second "Underworld Ascendant" is for: IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys, games and playthings, namely, action figures. FIRST USE: 20150228. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20150228
Kinda funny considering the actual trademark for the game: IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game programs; Downloadable computer game programs. FIRST USE: 20160429. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20160429

Rich has been his usual exuberant self and recently offered up some names of coworkers, so obviously we must hunt them down and make them pay for the sins of the studio, as goes the legend. :P

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Warren Spector's OtherSide studio hasn't worked on System Shock 3 since 2019

"There's not much clarification I can give you."

News by Vikki Blake, Contributor
Updated on 13 March 2022

System Shock 3's creative adviser, Warren Spector, has confirmed "there's not much more to say at this point" about the beleaguered project.

Talking to GamesBeat, Spector said it was up to Tencent "to say what they want to say" about the game, and revealed his team had not worked on the project since 2019.

387.jpg

"We released a statement last year. There's not much more to say at this point," Spector said. "Tencent is taking the franchise forward. It'll be up to them to say what they want to say. There's not much clarification I can give you.

"We worked on it in 2018 and 2019. That was it."

Spector did, however, reflect upon the industry more generally, and was less than complimentary about developers and publishers pushing NFTs.

"Here's where I'm going to get in trouble. I'm literally going to have people giving me hell about what I'm about to say, but I really don't think I care. NFTs are ridiculous. I do not understand why anybody would want to climb on that bandwagon.

"Ownership of virtual goods that can be instantly reproduced in unlimited quantities. Who thinks that's a good idea? So NFTs, I have no interest."

Last week we learned that Deus Ex and Epic Mickey creator Warren Spector was now working on "a completely new intellectual property" at his development studio OtherSide Entertainment. There was no mention of the long-awaited System Shock 3.

As Tom summarised for us a few days back, System Shock 3 was originally announced in 2015 , when Spector was revealed as its creative adviser. The project fell off the rails in 2018, however, after publisher Starbreeze found itself in financial difficulties.

Spector's studio OtherSide split ways with Starbreeze and said it would continue working on the project on its own, but reports of development troubles and staff departures emerged in 2020. Shortly after, OtherSide announced that Chinese conglomerate Tencent would be "taking the System Shock franchise forward", though it was believed at the time that the developer was still involved in some capacity. And that's pretty much all we know right now.

It's not all bad news for System Shock fans, though. There's still the long-awaited System Shock remake, which was delayed in December and is now due sometime in 2022 and a System Shock TV adaptation is also on the cards, written by Mortal Kombat scribe Greg Russo.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

Even Richard Garriott's cult followers are now calling for P2W in single-player games because he won't spend anything on them. I guess it's okay now then. :lol:

multiplayer mode confirmed!!

Co-Op looter shooter with SHODAN vs Hackers Mode a la Prey: Typhon Hunter, Fable: Legacy, or Evolve!
I can't wait for the fan/patch sites to go about pretending that doesn't exist like they now do with UA - but there's still a chance that Razorfist will still cuck himself on it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The Discord is in shambles following this announcement. At least 10 lines of people expressing disappointment (plus some cope about Tencent working on it instead), thus trebling the activity from the past 3 years.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Spector did, however, reflect upon the industry more generally, and was less than complimentary about developers and publishers pushing NFTs.

"Here's where I'm going to get in trouble. I'm literally going to have people giving me hell about what I'm about to say, but I really don't think I care. NFTs are ridiculous. I do not understand why anybody would want to climb on that bandwagon.

"Ownership of virtual goods that can be instantly reproduced in unlimited quantities. Who thinks that's a good idea? So NFTs, I have no interest."

Oh no no no no, *shock fans about to get shocked by hacker ape Twitter avatars prices!

Co-Op looter shooter with SHODAN vs Hackers Mode a la Prey: Typhon Hunter, Fable: Legacy, or Evolve!
I want some kind of FFA race towards a goal in the level, with SHODAN playing the role of both a commentator as a voice, and of a Rimworld style storyteller, throwing random shit at the rats in the maze.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Thick As Thieves
Thick Ass Thieves?

Garrett: "Basso, I'm trying to sneak in but my ass cheeks are dummy thick and their clapping is alerting the guards".

Welp. Time to check the new version of The Dark Mod I guess.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A Malaysian art studio posted some concept art seemingly (their description is little bit vague) made for System Shock 3: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/14OmkL

Cancelled System Shock inspired game

mid 2019, we were part of the design team aimed at recreating the IP: System Shock with modern, next gen visuals and aesthethics.
Unfortunately the game never solidified and was eventually cancelled.

Concept Artists:
Jarold sng
Jia Yi

More at the link.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
I thought SS3 was cancellated years ago already? No loss as far as I'm concerned, would not want to see another classic franchise ruined the way it was with UA.

The graphical remake of original SS looked interesting though and should have been released by now according to last official statement back in 2021, probably dropped now too or more updates would have been given I'd have thought?

Would have bought that for a long overdue play through again, especially if the glitzy in your face look could be toned down a little bit in settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom