Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News System Shock to become a TV series

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
expect the series to never get past the pilot.
Warrens not involved so that rules that out. This is most assuredly getting made.
In reference to the fact that shock 3 is basically vaporware at this point.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Everyone get ready for SHODAN to become a black lesbian AI
I like it. Bump the horror a notch.
Whoopi-Goldberg-to-release-holiday-sweater-line.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was going to name some things but then saw they're all from way before 2014 :negative:

House, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Black Mirror

Seems like good TV died around the time Netflix started to focus on self-made content. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

WhiteWhale

Novice
I was going to name some things but then saw they're all from way before 2014 :negative:

Seems like good TV died around the time Netflix started to focus on self-made content. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Funny you mention Black Mirror and Netflix, because that show went to shit the minute Netflix bought it. They're like a reverse Midas, I don't know how it even became the most popular streaming service in the first place.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I don't know how it even became the most popular streaming service in the first place.

First in, best dressed. They came in first, blew everything the fuck out with good content (back catalogs) and became a meme. No one invites a lady friend over for "Disney+ and chill" or "Amazon Prime TV and chill".

Also, they focused early on, on becoming a global thing. Netflix is available in almost every country in the world (yes there are country specific restrictions etc. but try signing up for Hulu if you're not in the US, I dare you.). They should have learned this lesson from Gaben.

Even on a forum as infested with Poles and Australians as this one, everyone uses Steam and Netflix. How many use Hulu or Disney plus?

Hobknobling

Learned

Funny you mention Black Mirror and Netflix, because that show went to shit the minute Netflix bought it. They're like a reverse Midas, I don't know how it even became the most popular streaming service in the first place.

Someone actually recently wrote a brief history of the company:

https://www.aakashg.com/2022/01/18/netflix-experimentation/

I think this part is the most telling:

2012 would end up representing the high watermark in terms of the raw number of movie and TV titles on Netflix.

Instead of playing the never-ending rat race of ending more content, the company began becoming smarter about what content to have on the platform. The company realized that 75% of what people watch was being driven by recommendations, so it didn’t need the huge catalog.

Reminds me of what one of Maslow's students came up with (he thought this wasn't true, but it actually is):

The average person prefers to be directed, avoids responsibility, is relatively unambitious, and wants security above all else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_McGregor

It is disappointing, but most people want something familiar and easy to grasp. MCU and Star Wars are super popular and all you hear about them is how the new movie or show has a character that has been in another show or movie before and it is great because the audience recognizes the character. It is great. THE TWINK FROM THOSE SHIT SPIDERMAN MOVIES NOBODY LIKED! HE IS BACK! WOW THAT IS GREAT! 8.7/10 ON IMDB!

(The shows you mentioned are not even that good, but that is beside the point.)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The average person prefers to be directed, avoids responsibility, is relatively unambitious, and wants security above all else.

The average person is a woman?

I guess..

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: System Shock

Great news for all System Shock fans!

If the hundred or something reboots, remakes and sequels of System Shock that are currently being planned or made haven't yet satisfied your appetite for more, here comes the announcement of a life-action TV series. You know it's going to be good, because its screenwriter has already successfully tackled the transition of video game material into the cinematic medium, and the project will be overseen by the original creators of System Shock - Nightdive Studios!

The small-screen adaptation of PC masterpiece System Shock has been handed to Greg Russo, the screenwriter of 2021’s Mortal Kombat for New Line Cinema. Not only will he write the exclusive show, but he’ll also be making his directorial debut by showcasing the story of Citadel Station’s descent into chaos.

Alongside Mortal Kombat–which proved to be a success with HBO Max, with a reported 3.6 million viewers on its opening weekend–Russo has adapted other games for film and television, including Space Invaders for New Line, and Saints Row for F. Gary Gray.

As with all other Binge-produced shows, Russo will be joined by the company’s Allan Ungar as producer, while Nightdive Studios’ Stephen Kick and Larry Kuperman serve as executive producers.​

I hope that the series will incorporate all the iconic parts of the franchise - the audio logs, the respawning monsters and the hunts for hidden black alien eggs. Nevertheless, it appears no further details are known at the time, so we'll need to remain patient and keep our fingers crossed.
Láthspell I name you.

Carceri

Arcane
oh wow, Fallout and now System Shock too!! Two of my favorite pc games are made into tv show series, what a time to be alive!!1

strangle-choking.gif

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
ShoDAN, the first transexual AI, is going to murder all the heteronormative POMs (People of Mayonnaise Skin) aboard the space station and resurrect them as homosexual furry pedophiles with Bachelor degrees in gender theory and racial philosophy.

The goal of the protagonist will be to explain to the audience why this is a good thing.

Best. I stole it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Everyone get ready for SHODAN to become a black lesbian AI
Are you crazy? Shodan is the villain of the story. You can't have evil black entities anymore these days, that's racist!
Shodan will either be an evil old white man, easily overcome by a diverse woman who excells at everything she does, or, SHODAN will be represented by a diverse woman who is just... misunderstood. Trying to bring the incline of gender and race equality to the universe, but being held back by filthy old white corpo cis scum.

THAT'S how you write a show in 2022. :obviously:

Someone please shoot me if it turns out that way.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Deus Ex TV series when?
You shut your whore mouth!
Oh come on. You know the writers will tell everyone they are the biggest Desu Ex fans since they were born and are going to make the most true to the original adaption ever.
And they will!

Too bad the only game they ever played was Desu Ex: Invisible War on their crapbox. :hahano:

Last edited:

DY050503

Educated
Just to think that twenty years ago I would be excited about the news of expanding a franchise into the movie territory...

It's not like 20 years ago it would have had a high chance to be good. But at worst, you'd get campy, dumb fun. Something people would get upset about, as they often did, but you'd still secretly watch and laugh about.

Nowadays its guaranteed that you get something mean spirited that is going to directly insult the original audience. And afterwards you get piled on if you dare to dislike anything about it, because of that fact.
Lee-Pace-in-Foundation-premiering-September-24-2021-on-Apple-TV-Foundation_Photo_010201.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom