Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

Sentinel

Arcane
I doubt any of the people complaining about the new spites complain about how much AA blurs everything in any other game they play.

Stop talking to the strawman in your head, brainlet.

Most popular games in 2D don't have blur. Obvious examples of 2D games but no-pixel art are: Hollow Knight and Cuphead.
Examples on Pixel-Art: Stardew Valley, Undertale, Blasphemous. All with no blur and highly praised.

The only people who think blur looks good are brainlets like you and the dinosaurs on nu-Square.
You are right but why are you pretending that gigantic pixelated sprites would have looked better than what we have?

Sentinel

Arcane
First review I've seen.

https://youtu.be/Ht1DUvWpvfQ

Positives:
- UI, Sound & combat

Negatives:
- Union level forces you to fight enemies at a higher level than you, which makes grinding for equipment a necessity at certain points
- No options to adjust visuals

PS: This guy seems to have no experience with the PSP version as he lists changes in Reborn that were present in the PSP release already at the start.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
First review I've seen.

https://youtu.be/Ht1DUvWpvfQ

Positives:
- UI, Sound & combat

Negatives:
- Union level forces you to fight enemies at a higher level than you, which makes grinding for equipment a necessity at certain points
- No options to adjust visuals

PS: This guy seems to have no experience with the PSP version as he lists changes in Reborn that were present in the PSP release already at the start.

Mortismal also has no experience with anything strategical. He rates any strategy/tactical game with any semblance of complexity as good regardless do the systems work.

Him not having any previous experience with the series is just more icing on the bad review cake.

Derringer

Prophet
I doubt any of the people complaining about the new spites complain about how much AA blurs everything in any other game they play.

Stop talking to the strawman in your head, brainlet.

Most popular games in 2D don't have blur. Obvious examples of 2D games but no-pixel art are: Hollow Knight and Cuphead.
Examples on Pixel-Art: Stardew Valley, Undertale, Blasphemous. All with no blur and highly praised.

The only people who think blur looks good are brainlets like you and the dinosaurs on nu-Square.
I like being able to adjust the 'tv resolution' blur and add a composite shading effect with an emulator for old games, the upscaling filters for sprites never looked right, even things like Bilinear filtering, people always complained that 3-point filtering in n64 games looked piss ugly.

S.torch

Arbiter
You are right but why are you pretending that gigantic pixelated sprites would have looked better than what we have?

Because it would. Pixel-Art is handcrafted, it looks cool in basically any resolution that you put it. What remains is the personal preference in said resolution. In the examples I made there are already a few games that use big resolutions and they look good, another is Va-11 Hall-A, a visual novel inspired in the PC-98 aesthetics.

People already complained to nu-Square for they wanting to force filters on the old graphics. It happened when they ported Chrono Trigger and put the blurring on top of the sprites. People didn't go easy on the reviews. And some already voiced their complains with this one.

But the corposaurius just don't care.

I like being able to adjust the 'tv resolution' blur and add a composite shading effect with an emulator for old games, the upscaling filters for sprites never looked right, even things like Bilinear filtering, people always complained that 3-point filtering in n64 games looked piss ugly.

There are a couple of filters that emulate old tv screens. But most of them are not really blur. Is more similar to adding a texture like in CRT screens.

Ent

Savant
They rolled 4 different passive skills from the psp into the weapon ranks and made sure it advances at a good pace. The pacing of the game is closer to the SNES version now.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Haven't been here in a while but only recently realized this was being released and had to post. My love for this game is profound, it is the only game I've ever truly 100%'d and I genuinely enjoy the original and the PSP remake, for different reasons. I can't wait until this becomes available, I'm going to get it for Switch to recreate the PSP handheld experience since my Vita busted years ago and I've been resorting to emulation ever since. I still have a Japanese boxed copy of the Super Famicom original, this game is my jam, right there for me with the original Fallout and Baldur's Gate games, the only three games that never leave my top three spots (though with rotation depending on my mood). I'm so excited!

Edit - Though I will forever lament the absence of the original portraits and UI, the game was gorgeous as initially presented and though I like the remake art, it just doesn't compare for me.

Derringer

Prophet

Because it would. Pixel-Art is handcrafted, it looks cool in basically any resolution that you put it. What remains is the personal preference in said resolution. In the examples I made there are already a few games that use big resolutions and they look good, another is Va-11 Hall-A, a visual novel inspired in the PC-98 aesthetics.

People already complained to nu-Square for they wanting to force filters on the old graphics. It happened when they ported Chrono Trigger and put the blurring on top of the sprites. People didn't go easy on the reviews. And some already voiced their complains with this one.

But the corposaurius just don't care.

There are a couple of filters that emulate old tv screens. But most of them are not really blur. Is more similar to adding a texture like in CRT screens.
There's a couple but I just can't say they really look right since most of them have really sharp scanlines when a lot of old budget TVs were typically either blurry as fuck or you couldn't see the scanlines unless you had your eyeballs right up to the screen.

Jinn

Arcane
The sprites are a bummer, but it's not going to stop me from getting this. Not only is it great that it got as much care and attention put into it as it did, but it gives me hope for the Ogre series making a return - or at the very least putting Matsuno at the head of a larger scale project again. It's definitely one of the more positive releases we've seen in Squeenix's recent deluge.

jungl

Augur
last decent game they released was the ff7r. Don't get your hopes up I'm thinking this is going to get us something even if it achieves amazing sales. Square enix is done as a video game company. They moving on to phone games and outsourcing their video game development.

Arthandas

Prophet
I already said this once but there is no filter. They remade the sprites.
They didn't, the sprites are filtered. You must be retarded if you think SE in their legendary laziness would remade every single sprite in the game...

Imagine thinking this is a completely remade sprite when it's fucking full of upscaling artifacts and looks like shit.
Screenshot-2022-11-11-001119.png

First review I've seen.
And already 100% it, totally legit.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I already said this once but there is no filter. They remade the sprites.
They didn't, the sprites are filtered. You must be retarded if you think SE in their legendary laziness would remade every single sprite in the game...

Imagine thinking this is a completely remade sprite when it's fucking full of upscaling artifacts and looks like shit.
Screenshot-2022-11-11-001119.png
They literally said in an interview that they remade the sprites while trying to keep them close to the original you dumbfuck. They were hoping they could update the graphics while keeping the retards who jack off to pixelshit happy, but obviously that didn't work as you can see by this thread. Here's a link to the interview, though I doubt it will do you any good since you probably can't read moonrunes. https://www.famitsu.com/news/202208/17272199.html

You can try to argue that they just upgraded them with AI or a filter or whatever, but the fact remains that these are the actual sprites you are looking at. They aren't just running a filter over the game.

Other tidbits from the interview:
- FFXII The Zodiac Age was the turning point that allowed them to remaster Tactics Ogre Reborn
- Double speed fast forward
- Entirely new sound effects created by the god Yajima who worked on Vagrant Story and FFXII
- Some Skills and Spells axed because there were too many
- Limited amount of skills and spells individuals can equip
- Union level is a level cap on your army (probably because levels matter more now)
- No new story or events, but new music will appear during the story
- Game fully voiced and recording personally attended by Matsuno (He said he doesn't watch anime so his voice actor picks are like for FFXII, VAs that dub western movies and foreign dramas)
- Script is brushed up by Matsuno so it flows better listening to it rather than reading it
- Unit individual leveling is back, as well as training function of the original TO.
- Power leveling is even stronger now (leveling up low level characters that join higher leveled encounters)
- Takashi Katano is the director just like FFXII The Zodiac Age
- UI was made for mouse and keyboard
- AI is better and has more decision layers

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
They literally said in an interview that they remade the sprites
Yes, they "remade" them by using an upscaling filter you fucking idiot! Do you have actual fucking eyes or are you using speech recognition to type that autism?
You are completely missing my point. My point is that they aren't running a filter over the game that can be turned off. Learn to comprehend English retard.

Even if the sprites have been upscaled and filtered, they have obviously been touched up by an artist. Go run the game on PPSSPP with various filters and compare. You will see that I'm correct, but you'll never admit it. All you are doing is splitting hairs so you can argue about something. Are you jewish?

manifest

Educated
They handmade them to look like shit! That'll be $50 please.
The PSP is almost exactly 1/4th 1080p resolution, it would've been trivial to include the originals. Besides, I still have a CRT.

New Star Ocean was hit by Square Enix's "ethics department" (removed at least a skinship scene), so they're still at it. Any bets on what's going to be removed from this?
In the psp version, they decided to soften Cerya's death scene in the Law path where Oz gives to her to his Dark Knight troops to be used as a sex slave and killed while she begs them to stop. Instead, she defiantly tells them to try and the game implies she fought to the death instead.

This cutscene is in the PSP version, but it's doesn't automatically play during the campaign. You have to go back and look at the cutscene viewer through the Warren report (i think, it's been many years since I played it)

Still a pretty brutal, more mature subject matter than I was expecting out of the game. The PSP version also let you new game+ your way through all the campaigns, so you could ultimately get all of the sisters and Ozma in your party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom