Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tales of Illyria KickStarter

Luzur

Good Sir
This game looks like it has potential to be good, at least storywise, through the fact that it's made primeraly for phones puts me off. What's the point of making story centerd rpg for tablets? people generaly play arcade/casual shit on them since they can only spend 5-10 minutes at a time.

it is? meh kinda lost interest now.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I'd suggest enabling archers, and only archers to shoot in front line and allow spellcasting. Although I suppose that would depend on the total number of classes. Also did I read correctly? The characters can't move in and out of melee? that seems like a waste of tactical potential imo.

Marsal

Arcane
Thanks for the answers. I didn't expect straight answers backed up with with pseudocode. Nice to see that level of openness :salute:

We currently don't have a cloud save system. But I could easily design that feature as we have a Tomcat server and MySQL database on our server. Currently you would have to move the save file by emailing etc.. I believe I will be adding this feature soon, thanks for the idea!
I'll PM you the payment instructions :) Make "me" a hidden boss encounter and we're even:dance:

I would still like to see pure turn-based combat implemented (again, like in HoMM3), but, as I said, you shouldn't be targeting me as your audience. The combat system you described should work just fine in your game, IMO. It seems to be complex enough to give the player options and enable different choices to influence gameplay, but not complicated. I like that you can have multiple "layers" of defense. Item design sounds great.

Here's some thoughts on items (the numbers are just for illustration):

My suggestion is to avoid making weapons strictly better and slightly better (like in an MMO). The player should make a decision to trade weapon speed for stun chance (for example). The differences between weapons should be significant enough to make the player choose deliberately (+2% damage and +2% speed is bullshit, +30% damage and -40% speed and 20% chance to stun is much better). I'd also avoid "small" percentages (2% chance of critical hit is not that enticing and too random no matter the damage multiplier, IMO).

The exception would be "epic" weapons, that should be REALLY HARD to obtain (not just by defeating hard opponents, but hard to locate or require high level in certain skills or have their own quest line... you get the picture) and have lore-based descriptions to give them more character and explain their power (like in IWD or Baldur's Gate). Maybe even give them weaknesses (-10 to all parry results) and/or make them cursed (-5% health/second in combat, can't remove without aid of a powerful cleric) to balance making them really powerful (+300% damage).

I don't like heaps of loot and huge inventory full of items you need to sell to earn money (Diablo style). I'd rather have a decent number of item drops and get well paid to do quests for certain people. Making sure the player has a nice selection of items to buy would be great (or maybe merchants who deal in exotic stuff to discover?).

Nitpick: those health bars are functional, but look out of place. I presume they are just placeholders. In any case, I'd get your artist to give them some attention. Nothing fancy, but they should be made to "fit in" better, IMO.

EDIT: How was combat handled in Disciples? I don't really remember, but I guess it worked well enough. You should look into that series for inspiration Little Killerz.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
  • Luzur the current build is being targeted at tablets and phones, we plan on making UI changes when it is ported to PC & Mac
  • Marsal I really like your feedback on the weapons there will definitely be clear distinctions on choices, 2% 5% is all BS...w
  • Upgrading weapons and armor will be rather rare as we don't want a bunch of inventory managment.
  • Yes the healthbars need some lovin
  • My friend said the same about disciples and I plan to get them from GOG. The combat from youtube looks kinda similar.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Charles,

Sorry I missed your post earlier. They can move in and out of melee, if you issue a move order in a spot containing a character they will also be issued a move order. I like your idea of making it class specific. We started out with classes but are now skill based. It could be a skill you learn to shoot bow in the front rank!

Chad

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are we discussing this...

Because this forum full of retards. Honestly, you're better off getting advice somewhere else, this doesn't look like something that will appeal to the assholes here, and even if it did their advice would be shit. :keepmymoney:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Screen from right now while I work...I post some more...

grasscombat.png

Tits are too fucking huge and she looks like a tranny. :decline:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah. It seems the artist is more skilled at drawing men and animals than females.

Also who exactly is this Illyria KickStarter? Is she your protagonist, someone who travels with you, the main antagonist of the game (something akin to The Brazilian Slaughter) or something else?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Haha Mastermind! That seems to be the case but we have had a couple constuctive posts. I'll probably keep posting updates here just for grins. Gragt KickStarter is a place to beg for money.

KickStater Link

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Captain Shrek,

I think the main thing that really makes this game stand out is the events. Because we are using story we can put the player in many different types of situations where we would otherwise be limited by the graphics. But we still have enough graphical eye candy to keep your interest. Also the combat while seemingly simplistic is actually a blast to watch and play. We have reduced combat to its essence it is turn based and resolves its self quickly because you don't have to continualy issue orders. I wouldn't call the game simple I would call it streamlined, instead of guiding your party around the map looking for things to fight you sit back and watch the scenery go by as you travel from city to city waiting for things to come up. Its much more like traditional D&D, when you play D&D you tell your dungeon master you want to travel to location X he then tells you what happens. You don't say North, North, East, East, East, North like you were traveling an Ultima map. Thanks for your interest!

Cut and pasted from our kickstarter....

• Over 5,000 unique sprites for full character customization
• Passage of time & seasons
• Cinematic Parallax travel
• Epic story
• Food & water, attrition of goods
• Interacting characters
• Diverse land with individually developed kingdoms
• Event based Dungeon Master system
• Real-time order based combat
• Weapon and armor weaknesses
• Alignment, Morale, Karma & Reputation systems
• Custom music
• Translated into different languages - Realtime Google Translation

I would argue that is not a good idea to openly say that you believe your audience is dumb...

Hi, I didn't say people were dumb. [...] Why are we discussing this...

Because this forum full of retards.

Haha Mastermind! That seems to be the case [...]

:lol:

One day of exposure to the codex is enough to break even the most amiable man. I give it 15 hours until littlekillerz picks up one piece of poop and flings it back at the crowd.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Clockwork,

Yeah the Codex is a rough place but I knew that going in as I've always been here just never posted. I had to bite my tounge once or twice...Looks like most of the meanies have lost intrest in bashing us.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Thanks Fel!

On a side note I'm adding in the follow through animations now, will post a video of combat tomorrow for those who care. I'm thinking of just making this my developer blog, I guess I work best when I have poo thrown at me ;-)

Marsal

Arcane
It looks good. Although it seems this way you can only have 2 trolls on the screen at the same time (maybe even just 1). Make sure the troll is very powerful, if that's the case.

Can you attack any opponent in the front row with any character in your front row or do you need to "shuffle" them to get them directly in front of the target? Are there diagonal attacks?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
We didn't want to waste any real-estate so everything is a big as it needs to be to fill the screen.

Marsal, the troll will be a lone creature, he is very powerfull and can hit the entire front rank in a single swing, stun and ignore armor. Dodging will be the best defense, so characters with low weight and high agility will do well. Where the troll is everyone can hit him. The diagram below represents the front ranks 1 and 3 cannot target each other, if you are in 2 you can target 1,2 & 3 as well as be hit by 1,2,3. 1 can hit 1 & 2, 3 c can hit 2 & 3.

1 1
2 2
3 3

zeitgeist

Magister
I love how everything looks finger painted, it's such a subversively clever jab towards the intended audience.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
I love how everything looks finger painted, it's such a subversively clever jab towards the intended audience.

The decreed assemblage is far to precocious to be subverted by the mere whimsical strokes of a nub appendage.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hi Clockwork,

Yeah the Codex is a rough place but I knew that going in as I've always been here just never posted.
:salute:

Not really my kind of game, but the potential for tablet/iPhone is there, I think it will quite work out for you guys and depending how gameplay will end up, maybe even worth playing a PC port of it. Glad to see you are actually answering questions and reading advice. Wish you best of luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom