Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tales of Illyria KickStarter

laclongquan

Arcane
screen1.png

When you make nice and big pictures like that, some female figures are a plus and a requirement. How should I put it? Ah "More tits and asses!!!"

These fuckers will tell you otherwise of course. we are :obviously: so we dont need tittayz! Dead Wrong!

Girls can be archers and medics, if you are worried about realism. The upper body muscle requirement in shooting bows/crossbows are not as severe as melee combat.

Try to make things more tactically varied. I mean, from those pictures I dont see much variety in combat environment. Get a few environment status in "Wind from the left to right", "misty weather make for poor shooting", "soaked ground impede melee combat," etc and etc...

oscar

Arcane
I actually like the realism of not having women and androgynous 15 year-olds prancing around the frontlines.

I quite like the art but there's something really unpleasant about looking at visuals clearly sized for a tablet or smartphone on a PC

Also get some more faces on your characters. Everyone using exactly the same face is a poor effort.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
We have 40 heads currently that was an older screen shot. I'll post some updates later today.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They all have the same head, just with added accessories. Also they share bodies/poses.

I'm very perceptive!

Marsal

Arcane
Looks interesting. As a PC game it's pretty crappy, but as a tablet/phone game, I can see the potential. Some nifty ideas. This is what VD should have done with AoD.

I don't like the combat system, but it's hard to tell if it really is as bad as it looks on the video, until you actually have a chance to play the game. Why not just use the "traditional" turn-based combat?

As for the name, you should really change it. Call it the "Tales of Layria" or something similar, to avoid confusion.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Marsal thanks for the comments. I'm still not convinced the name needs to go...

The combat is really pretty neat it is turn based just realtime. As you issue orders they go into a queue, the position in the queue depends on the speed of the action. The game engine proccess only one order at a time. The only difference is the character keeps putting new orders into the queue with out your intervention. You can speed up and slow down game time to adjust to the pace you like.

The characters share the same male or female body, but the heads and equipment are all interchangeable. The game engine merges the bitmaps realtime.

Bulba

Learned
This game looks like it has potential to be good, at least storywise, through the fact that it's made primeraly for phones puts me off. What's the point of making story centerd rpg for tablets? people generaly play arcade/casual shit on them since they can only spend 5-10 minutes at a time.

Marsal

Arcane
Marsal thanks for the comments. I'm still not convinced the name needs to go...
It's your game and it's not a big deal (for me). But unless the name has some "special" or "hidden" meaning (to the team or in the game), it will just cause unneeded confusion, IMO. Maybe just change the spelling and keep the prononciation?

The combat is really pretty neat it is turn based just realtime. As you issue orders they go into a queue, the position in the queue depends on the speed of the action. The game engine proccess only one order at a time. The only difference is the character keeps putting new orders into the queue with out your intervention. You can speed up and slow down game time to adjust to the pace you like.
Well, that's the problem. It can't really be real time AND turn-based. Either you want order and precise commands of turn-based or speed and "chaos" of real time. Compare Baldur's Gate to ToEE. I prefer ToEE's combat system (pretty much all of us here do).

I can't really see your combat system working better than just pure turn-based (think HoMM3). There are only 6 party members and 6 opponents maximum on the battlefield. You can't move (I presume). You just attack or use combat ability/spell? It's not like it would take ages to go through combat with pure turn-based. You could even make the previous attack the default action (so you would just click once to confirm. Duration of combat in most part depends on damage values and HP. Is there a chance to miss? Tell us more about character system and combat? I think you would want fights to last less than 5 minutes if targeting phones/tablets and that could be doable with turn-based.

All these suggestions are just my preferences. Most of the players will be fine with your system. I don't think we are your core audience. You can reach more "casual" players with your game (this is not an insult) and, ultimately, earn a lot more money.

The rest of what I've seen on your videos/screenshots (art, style, overall game design) does look promising. I like your frugal use of resources and approach you took in designing the game. I think the game (and the series) is going to be a big success on the mobile market. On the PC, not so much. My impression is that your game is too simple, but I could be wrong (story, encounter design and character system would play a big role in taking your game to the "next level").

Do you allow cloud saves or have some kind of a system in place, that would enable players to continue their gaming session on different devices?

What's the point of making story centerd rpg for tablets? people generaly play arcade/casual shit on them since they can only spend 5-10 minutes at a time.
True, but you can add "meaning" to your 10 minute gaming sessions by stringing them into a greater whole. It's a very clever concept, IMO.

Little Killerz The screenshots look great, but it would be better if you edited your first post and put them into (separate)
like this
tags.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Marsal,

Thanks again for the great feedback. Let me try to answer some questions.
  • You can move in combat by issuing a change ranck order there are also compulsory moves when the front rank is broken, the closet member of the back rank if there is one moves in to take the fallens place
  • We currently don't have a cloud save system. But I could easily design that feature as we have a Tomcat server and MySQL database on our server. Currently you would have to move the save file by emailing etc.. I believe I will be adding this feature soon, thanks for the idea!
  • The combat system works like this
    • You have a front rank and back rank
      • In the front rank you can only attack with melee weapons and you can only hit the enemies front rank.
      • In the back ranks you can only use spells and bows but can attack anyone. People in the back ranks get a defensive bonus.
      • If the front rank is broken someone from the back is forced to fill the space.
    • When a character does not have an active order they are assumed to be defending which is the shield you see on the ground.
    • You issue each character an order, he will repeat the order until he dies or his target dies, some orders dont support repeating like powerful area effect spells.
    • All orders on both side are placed in order in the order queue, its order in the queue depends on the currentOrdertime + orderSpeed if a order is already there it will take the next spot. The game engine then processes each order one by one.
    • Success of a physical attack works like this
      • Get the attack# = Character.agility + Weapon.finesse + hightRandomNumber
      • Get the block# = Character. strength + Shield.block + lowRandomNumber
      • Get the dodge# = Character.agility + lowRandomNumber
      • Get the parry# = Character.agility + Weapon.parry + lowRanomNumber
      • We then compare the numbers the higest number is the result, so you don't miss you get countered in some way and the animations play it out.
    • Armor & Weapons have strengths and weaknesses, for instance some hit better, some parry better, some do more damge, some ignore plate (like large maces), some weigh more, some take more strength to wield, some weapons stun, some cause bleeding, some knock you to your feet,
    • Special Melee skills work like the pysical attacks but do extra damage or have an extra effect.
    • Spells all work differently.
Let me know if you have more questions.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
  • In the front rank you can only attack with melee weapons and you can only hit the enemies front rank.
  • In the back ranks you can only use spells and bows but can attack anyone. People in the back ranks get a defensive bonus.
What happens then if a mage or archer get to the front row? They will be forced to do weak melee attacks?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi felipepepe,

Currently yes! I'm on the fence about spells though....

Chad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom