Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Black Angel

Arcane
index.php

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You might want to restart, to be honest. Too many new things get introduced, including new mini- and micro-biomes.

I was hoping to be able to use TerraCustom to extend my world, except the dev has stated that updating that to 1.4 will take months. tModLoader will be available with a 1.3.5-mirror immediately at launch, with a full 1.4-compatible version due shortly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Haven't played terraria since wall of flesh was the final boss. This journey mode feature that lets you duplicate materials after gathering a certain amount of them has me tempted though.

Are small worlds still a bit buggy in that sometimes they make certain biomes too small to sustain life?

Ivan

Arcane
two more hours right? 10a PST

this is going to be a pleasant weekend. I never really "finished" my virgin playthrough so this will be nice.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Tried it out for a bit. Two immediate things:

# The wind. There's nothing quite like huddling inside your first house/shelter and seeing/hearing the wind howl outside. Breathes a massive gust of life into the game.

# OWLS!
owl.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
New type of trap: Dead Man's Chest. See a chest somewhere that seems out of place? It is. Examine your surroundings carefully.

Pressure plates still drop from dart traps, but not from boulder traps.

Think Megatrees are safe now? Think again! They're fucking infested with gnomes!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like support for larger resolutions beyond 1920x1080 regressed :/

Windowed Mode:
CqJeZUj.png

Fullscreen Mode:
ODJSbNP.png

Gerrard

Arcane
There was literally not a single mention of performance optimizations in the change log.
Also you can no longer keep a single player game active when in the background (or at least I haven't found a way to do it).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There was literally not a single mention of performance optimizations in the change log.
Also you can no longer keep a single player game active when in the background (or at least I haven't found a way to do it).

For me it took a vanilla 1.3.5.3-installation up to 30 seconds to even bring up a loading screen, then another 10-12 seconds before the menu was loaded. 1.4.0.2 takes roughly ten seconds to do the same, and less than ten seconds to bring up the menu.

The only performance problem I seem to be having has to do with the lighting. I'm using 'Color' and it seems that sometimes the shadow effect changes slightly. It gets annoying to notice it on the peripherial vision.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I want my group of friends to get into Terraria and I feel we're a decade too late and have to suffer through a lenghty earlygame until we get to boss killing. Change my perception or guide me, please :D

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
It's always been like that.
If you want it to keep running in the background, run a local server and connect to it.

There's benefits to doing it that way too.
A big one being that the client itself doesn't need to hold the world in memory (especially if you're playing on a large world).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, I've been mucking about with a new character in a Master Mode-world since launch-time yesterday... and I've reached the conclusion that Master Mode isn't worth the effort.

After a mixture of playing it myself and reading up on it, the downsides of Master Mode are these:

# All monsters have more hit points and do more damage than Expert Mode.
# You lose ALL your money upon death.

Meaning that starting out with a fresh character is an exercise in tedium. Every step needed to advance takes so much longer because every monster is border-line lethal.

But wait! What are the upsides? They are:

# A character in a Master Mode-world gains an extra Item-slot, which can be combined with that Expert-mode item from the Wall of Flesh to gain a total of seven item slots.
# Every boss drops a special golden statue, plus has a 25% chance to drop a Pet item!

So unless you're nuts about Terraria pets and accolades (or are an absolute masochist) there is NO reason to play Master Mode. Expert Mode is good enough.

But that's not the worst part: The worst part is that I dared venture into some Terraria-related forums... and it don't look good over there. People don't seem to like the update as much as they should (based on prior updates), for various reasons. Some of those reasons include:

# The new music doesn't match the old music. (My jury is still out on this one, but I will say that there are a surprisingly large number of new tracks.)

# The NPC 'happiness' mechanic. The major complaint is that it slows down the game too much... and I kinda have to agree with that. People wanted to have more control over the NPCs, but this seems like borderline bullshit.

# People are actually throwing about the tinfoil-hat theory that Re-Logic are purposefully making the game worse so that their upcoming game project gains more favoritism. This would make sense if Terraria was a AAA-product game on a tight timetable, but Terraria just turned 9 years old and is an indie-release, not a AAA-game.

# DAT Fucking Zoologist-NPC, a.k.a. the Furry. People just don't like him/her... because somehow some rumor got started that the Furry is ALSO a trans-character... and people are losing their shit because of sexual deviancy and mental illness getting featured in what suddenly now is "a children's game".
rating_prosper.png
Also, the Zoologist keeps whining about trivial matters ("Stop pulling on my tail!") and sells whips for some reason...

# "Terraria is STILL TOO EASY", because some players rolled something like seven new worlds on Master Mode and because they found several copies of key weapons early on one of them the whole game is still a cakewalk. Meanwhile I rolled the one world and my best weapon is a Mace that has some interesting properties, but I could upgrade it to a Fiercy Mace (just add 99 torches) to add extra damage plus burning! I still get fucking murdered just taking a peek outside my base though. Perspective is a helluva drug, yo!

Finally, some sage advice for people who want to start out with a fresh character:

# If you don't like all those gravestones your track record of failure leaves behind and try to mine them away, there's an extra string attached now that may make you reconsider. Who ya gonna call?

# In the Underground-layer you may come across Gold Chests out in the open. Go FULL PANIC MODE if you see them. If you have a pressure plate or some other item that can let you see wires, USE THEM. If the chest is wired you die just by opening it. In my experience numerous traps are attached to it PLUS a large explosive device that DOESN'T show up via wire-view. If there are no wires, then it's just a chest full of stuff, grab it!

# The Lifeform Analyzer reveals a lot more critters now than it did, including the <CHARNAME> of the Undead Merchant, Gnomes and some of the more uncommon-but-"Who-gives-a-fuck"-critters.

And on the topic of new bosses - AFAIK there are two of them, and both of them are connected to the Hallow. One is unique, one is a reskin of a previous boss. The unique boss is a "bullet-hell"-boss, and you'll die just by looking at the related fancy graphics. (Here's me lamenting the addition of a Winter-biome boss. ;( )

Conclusion: If you still have access to the 1.3.5.3-version of Terraria, HANG ON TO IT. But also, give 1.4 a try. You should quickly realize which version better caters to you. (That said, OWLS.)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I started a new Expert world.
I thought I was off to a great start, I made some wood armour and weapons, made a little house with 3 rooms, and even killed a pinky with about 3 HP to spare.

Then night came...
I learned first hand that zombies can now fight back and match your melee range (and they hit hard)...
Simply put, they camped the spawn point, and I died 18 times unable to do anything, before morning finally offered succour.

Black Angel

Arcane
25 tiles to count NPCs as neighbors to each others felt too small. Any mod or ways to increase the count?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom