Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Terraria

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Turisas, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    it was a kinda shitty poem, i have to admit.

^ Top  
  2. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Sweet. I needed a diversion from my other games.

^ Top  
  3. Ye gods, when did shortswords become thrusting weapons in Terraria? Made a new world and a new hardcore character and I'm terrified of slimes due to the really limited attack area on my stabbing animation.

^ Top  
  4. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    For quite a while now actually. Thanks to that the shortswords are basically absolutely useless, the only good use would be if you could just hold down the button and spam it, but you have to keep clicking, so, no use at all sir, none at all.

^ Top  
  5. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    well you could hold a doorway with it, but...

no.

^ Top  
  6. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    The only advantage they have (Aside from the speed thing) seems to me is that they hit multiple enemies more quickly on the same swing. When swinging at 3+ zombies with a long sword, often the 3rd zombie won't get hit until he's already bumped into you. But it's certainly not enough of an advantage to bother using it. Pickaxe is usually your best weapon until you get something from a chest anyways. Swings much faster, and the lower damage isn't a problem except against high armor enemies you shouldn't be fighting anyways.

^ Top  
  7. MisterStone Arcane

MisterStone
    This game looks kind of interesting, but I was wondering: is this a game that is worth playing by yourself, or do you need to play on a server with others before it's really worthwhile? Is it fun if you just drop in (once, or every now and then) on a public server and play with people you don't know? Is it good as a LAN party game that you play for a few hours? Does the game become kind of lame and pointless at some point, because it's a sandbox game and there is no final goal? Can people play it in a way that is competitive?

Sorry, I've never even played Minecraft TBH so I'm basically an oldfag gamer who can't into new shit internet gaming.

^ Top  
  8. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Sure it is, but once you 'beat' it (get the best gear, that is) there's not much point in continuing to play. Should provide some hours' worth of fun tho.

^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Have to give the developer credit -- I've seen at least two major updates (including both bug fixes and content/items/enemies) since the game went live a few months ago.

It's not really minecraft so much as it is a 'metroidvania' where you explore, kill enemies, and get loot. You can build stuff but that isn't the primary focus. If you're going to buy wait a week for the big Steam sale where it'll probably be $5. Not a bad deal for ~20 or so hours of entertainment.

^ Top  
  10. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    One thing I've been wanting to do is play a competetive multiplayer game of this, with the competition simply being that each player stakes out a chunk of land (Probably left/right of the initial spawn on a large map), and race to become the most uberly geared. Even better on hardcore mode. Would make all the risk/reward of continuing to go deeper for more loot vs being cautious and keeping stuff in reserve in case you die all the more interesting.

I would imagine it's pretty fun with a whole mess of people, wither fighting eachother (You can enable pvp and murder eachother, and set teams) or just sending a rapesquad of 10 guys with pickaxes into the bowels of the earth. Though with that many people you'll be hard pressed to divy up the ore.

And yeah, the building is fun if you feel like playing legos, but it's not at all the core of the game. Far more care went into things like enemy and item variety. Throwing a torch down over a cliff into a dark chasm and seeing a treasure chest at the bottom with a pile of monsters wandering around it feels awesome.

^ Top  
  11. MisterStone Arcane

MisterStone
    Well it does sound pretty damn cool, especially considering that it is procedurally generated. I must say I do sort of wish there would be a final challenge of some kind, maybe a massive apocalyptic siege that you and your buddies have to survive, which activated after a few hours of game play. Or maybe something where you can take on the ultimate foozle in his castle and become the most powerful badass on the planet. It just seems kind of lame to sit around and play in a sandbox indefinitely... or rather, it seems incomplete.

^ Top  
  12. That's kinda the point of the game though. Gives you a sandbox, you figure out what you want out of it. Not that I'm saying there SHOULDN'T be bigger and better end game goals 'cause I'd be all for that, but yeah.

If you wanna make it trickier, play hardcore characters. May or may not be more fun depending on your tastes, but it certainly makes playing a new character more tense.

^ Top  
  13. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    There are a number of boss fights. It's less sandboxy than minecraft, in my opinion.

^ Top  
  14. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It's definitely less sandbox than Minecraft and it actually gets updates.

^ Top  
  15. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Been playing in hardcore mode. Going to have to abandon the world. I've gathered up and concentrated all the best loot somewhere off screen just below where the background starts turning hellish. I can't possibly survive to get it back without more nice stuff, and the only other option would be strip mining the whole god damned area down to gather up enough gold to make some proper gear and make up for lack of accessories and health. Going to start a new game. Hardcore mode death achieved.
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  16. Dire Roach Prophet

Dire Roach
    MisterStone, you might as well get the "demo" of it and see for yourself; the whole game is less than 20 megabytes total.

I've clocked in ~150 hours already according to steam. Building shit online can be just as fun as in minecraft.

^ Top  
  17. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    You do also get a few invasion events that you can probably make harder by having a blue candle in the inventory. Goblin Army event, for instance, is quite amusing.

^ Top  
  18. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    when i had a goblin invasion, i simply put a lava moat outside, and blocked my doors with dirt from the inside.

instant fried goblin.

^ Top  
  19. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    What about the [spoilers]wizard that fire through walls?[/spoilers] Though I'll agree lava moats are overpowered. One bucket can cover 4-5 tiles, easily enough to kill practically anything that walks.

^ Top  
  20. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Well, they're not really hard to kill even without that. I was just saying that there are some invasion events like Goblin Army and Blood Moon. There definitely should be more though.

^ Top  
  21. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    I'm necroing this thread because shit is getting done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qTiBCvsv4

^ Top  
  22. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It's HUGE from what I've seen in their dev blog posts.

^ Top  
  23. Chainsaw and drill! Woop!

Haven't played Terraria in aaaaaaages ever since I first got it and "Beat" the game by killing all the bosses and exploring the dungeon, jungle, and hell. Last two or three big content patches have floated by me. Mostly because I sorta wanna try them with a new character in a new world, but the early game Terraria is a bit of a bummer.

^ Top  
  24. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    1.1 out now, with a fuckton of new features:

^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Yep, HUGE content and balance update. Also it's on sale today for $2.50 on Steam.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.