Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If it's Neptune's Shell you're referring to, that is crafted not found.

Gerrard

Arcane
I think the cross necklace and philosopher's stone only drop from Mimics. I got the emblems from fighting WoF a couple of times since I wanted the rifle.
I also never found the diving helmet in any of my games. I read on the forums that it's currently bugged anyway.

I have to wonder though, do they plan on just ramping enemy HP/damage and player items constantly? This is a pretty big leap we have done already.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well how else are you going to scale content in a game where 90% of character progression is through gear?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just tried fighting the twins seriously. FUCK. I spent something like 400 holy arrows and got them both to a little under half before I
A: Was basically out of arrows, and was switching to the much less effective but more ammo efficient crystal bullet shotgun.
B: Got the nurse killed, basically leaving me completely doomed because holy FUCK are these things impossible to fight without getting hurt.
C: The sun came up anyways and ended the fight.

I dunno what to do now. I'm in full adamantite armor, I suppose I could dick around with some other weapons, but I don't see anything doing much more damage than an adamant repeater with holy arrows. Melee obviously isn't going to work very well. My only other options would be to scour the world for dart traps to set up (which would be nearly impossible to use since the fuckers just ram you constantly anyways, so I'd be shooting myself to get them), or go multiplayer.

And this is the easiest of the mecha bosses.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Balance might get tweaked eventually. I haven't actually played since the update because I've seen a lot of bug reports so I'd figure I'd give them a couple of weeks to sort stuff out.

Damned Registrations

Just realized mana potions don't have a cooldown like health potions do. Time for some RAEP.

Edit: Success! Just barely. Now to decide what to make with my spoils. Going to check some videos to see what these items do because I don't want to dump the whole boss reward on some shitty item.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The bosses don't scale at all even with 8 players on the server, so yeah that should be a hint enough. The new bosses are soloable, but you need to be prepared up the ass.

Gerrard

Arcane
I decided to kill Skeletron first, after getting killed by Twins.
Used gravity potion to fly around, thanks to the bombs dealing something around 150(?) damage being anywhere near a solid object is a bad idea.

Dire Roach

Prophet
hoopy said:
It sounds like Terraria isn't even balanced for singleplayer.
Turisas said:
The bosses don't scale at all even with 8 players on the server, so yeah that should be a hint enough. The new bosses are soloable, but you need to be prepared up the ass.
lolwut? All bosses have always been soloable by equipping yourself properly, building an arena, and spamming heals. The balance is screwed up in multiplayer where players with endgame equipment dump good items on the weaker players, allowing them to bypass many of the game's challenges.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You haven't been able to spam healing pots for quite a while now -- a two minute or so cool down was introduced a couple of patches ago.

Dire Roach

Prophet
10yh1dt.jpg

They extended potion cooldowns?! Aren't there ridiculous buff combos now that can make you nigh invincible anyway?

Damned Registrations

Not really. +8 armor and 2hp/sec regen doesn't make you feel very invulnerable when you're getting hit for 30 damage every few seconds from one of the dozens of projectiles you didn't manage to dodge.

That said, I've only got one boss left to defeat now, and I've been playing solo the whole time. But it certainly wasn't easy, and I didn't beat any of the new bosses on my first attempt.

Gerrard

Arcane
The healing potion cooldown has been 60 seconds since 1.0.6, but you can now get an accessory that reduces it to 45.

I need a bit more cash to make a flamethrower, then take on the destroyer. Still, I played 30 hours since update, most other devs would release this as DLC too. Just look at Dungeon Defenders or similar cases.

Damned Registrations

If you can kill the twins, you can use the harp instead. It RAPES the destroyer. Every note can hit over 5 times.

Gerrard

Arcane
Well, that was anti-climatic. I started off flying again, but soon realized there's no point. I didn't even notice when I dealt the first 40K damage.

vdlbip.png

One to go.

Damned Registrations

Finished off the last one today. Was much easier than I expected. Still failed my first attempt (ran out of time with less than 3000 hp to go) but then I killed off another destroyer and made a megashark. That dished out damage a LOT faster.

Hallowed armor set was much less impressive than I'd been hoping. Improvement over adamantite was very minor, and it doesn't glow or anything. Molten armor felt way more powerful back when it burned.

Created my very first character today. Hardcore of course. Fiddled around with a few things, explored and killed some annoying green slimes. It was getting dark, so I threw together a makeshift shelter of dirt and stone. Which worked fine, the zombies just wandered around outside moaning...until the stars fell. If you're a new player and you see something shiny that is obviously better material than dirt, stone and the odd copper ore, you need it. So I opened up a spot and ran out to get the yellow glowing beauties. A zombie promptly ran inside the shelter and patrolled around. Okay, no problem. I'll jump and weave around the other two until dawn. Then the flying eyeballs showed up and kept wrangling towards the zombies.

Yeah, my first character didn't last all that long. Done in by gaming OCD.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Somebody needs to make a codexia server. Hardcore, only new characters.

By the way, something that should be obvious but that I missed for the largest part of my play time: You can show items to the guide and he'll tell you what can be crafted with it. I used to think that guy was just an useless respawning shit that liked to let monsters inside my house.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Hardcore can't be chosen for the server, it's done during character creation. You WILL die when trying the new bosses (unless you pussy out and watch strategies beforehand and/or do it with a group), so going HC just means you have to do most of it all over again.

Gerrard

Arcane
I stopped playing hardcore after 4 characters. Last died because I hit a slime while falling from large height, the knockback threw me off course and I missed the water.

The problem with hardcore characters is that there's only a finite number of crystal hearts in a world.

Damned Registrations

There's also a finite number of chests and rare ores in the world, which makes even Mediumcore just asking for trouble unless you're willing to switch world whenever one starts to run dry. All the shit you drop when you die disappears when you leave the game and it cleans up the trash. And if you died in deep corruption or something, getting your shit back is probably nigh impossible, just because of the worms. Nevermind if you lost your grappling hook in a place you got to by using your grappling hook, and would need to dick around with wooden platforms to get there, without armor or weaponry.

Hardcore server might be fun if it stays up perpetually though. Would be funny finding someone's death drops from a week ago while wandering around. Although, good luck finding a good place to make a bed/stash. Probably need to be either underground or up in the sky somewhere to avoid getting robbed blind. :rpgcodex:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have yet to tackle the new content but anyone have any tips for the Wall of Flesh boss?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Make a loooong platform, get a good ranged weapon then just continuously backpedal as you shoot at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom