Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TES V will take place 200 years after Oblivion

denizsi

Arcane
Lore-wise, TES multiverse has long been in techno-stasis and it's more advanced in a magic-driven way than one might realize, or at least that's how I choose to remember it to be from Daggerfall. Also the whole deal with Dwemer being long gone with all kinds of technofaggotry left behind is one of the stronger points of the setting, so I don't think even they would ever need to fast-forward the techno-culture track to have lots of technofaggotry, even if they brought the Dwemer back.

That said, a Dwemer invasion (if such a thing is even possible; as far as I know, there has never been a definitive answer on what happened to them) out of nowhere in TES4 (or in TES5, if there weren't already a Daedra "invasion" in TES4), instead of the shitty "hell unleashed" scenario would have been a lot more shocking and original and produce more interesting possibilities for the future of the TES lore, though it would be too soon after Morrowind, I guess.

Fucking Bethesda. They just ruin every fucking thing they touch.

all we'll see is a change to the political landscape.

And we all saw how significant that was with Oblivion:

The political landscape of the game world is highly fractured following the emperor's assassination, and you will have to be cautious of the motives of those who would befriend you. -Gavin Carter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The political landscape on Oblivion was a joke. Fallout 3 didn't make a lot of sense either in the way settlements were structured. I doubt there's going to be any significant political changes in TES 5.

Only a little more shiny magic and another reason for the player to go on a DEFEAT EVIL mainquest.

lightbane

Arcane
I fear that sadly a steampunk setting will be, after all, Todd has done everything that "can be coolZ!!" already, we have FANTASY SETTING!!! , EXPLOSIONS!! ALIENS AND SPACESHIPS!!! in 'tardtout 3, and thus following the rule of retardation= cool, it emans that it will be surely steampunk, remember that lore does not exist/care at all in oblivion (now the least we can hope for is that they don't dare to mention Arcanum or worse as "inspiration")

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Freelance Henchman said:
Can you imagine Thief as made by Bethesda? Oh dear...

s_caa32688c098b7928492c605ad104659.gif

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I doubt there's going to be any significant political changes in TES 5.

Oh, I think they'll change it alright. Whether they'll actually reflect or explore those changes in anything approaching an interesting way is another matter entirely.

The assassination of the emperor is a political change, it's just a political change that is barley reflected in the game in any way the player can take notice of.

For instance, expect Morrowind to have broken away from the Empire, but instead of having the border tense, interacting with spies from both sides, allowing the player to side with one faction (and having consequences from that) and having it reflect interestingly in the NPC characters written for both sides, expect the occasional mention in NPCs idle conversations ("Have you heard Morrowind has left the Empire") and maybe a side quest themed around it.

LazyD

Liturgist
my guess is that the game will suck ass and I'll puke 10 mins into gameplay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Personally, I think it's going to be Skyrim based on TES forum polls and Bethesda's inability to do anything non-generic. Mind you, Skyrim has a lot of awesome potential, but it can also be done in a generic way *and* they can use THEY'RE LIKE VIKINGS AND THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME in the hype.

circ

Arcane
I wonder if it will have a row of oxcarts 'strategically' placed in some location so you can fireball one and they will all blow up. Because.. that's what oxcarts do.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If not, that should be a top priority for modders. Exploding horses too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Turisas said:
If not, that should be a top priority for modders. Exploding horses too.

You can have a lot of fun with swords in TES 5, probably.
Guns in Fallout 3 could make heads explode.
Swords can do so much more!

You'll be in for a lot of gory disemboweling, decapitating, limb-severing fun!
Hack at a horse's belly and see its guts fall out!
HILARIOUS!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Personally, I think it's going to be Skyrim based on TES forum polls and Bethesda's inability to do anything non-generic. Mind you, Skyrim has a lot of awesome potential, but it can also be done in a generic way *and* they can use THEY'RE LIKE VIKINGS AND THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME in the hype.
You know what I fear the most? A Todd Howard TES game set in Akavir.

Data4

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
When trying to predict what Bethesda are going to do, I've found hedging on the side of the stupidest, most idiotic, and simplistic is best.

My guess is that cities will basically be 1 building and 3 NPCs and nothing substantial about the landscape other than being filler.

Fixed that for ya.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Two hundred years into the future? It might be a more steampunk setting in Skyrim. Which can be interesting.

However, this is Bethesda.

Such a waste.

There's a lot of nice lore about Skyrim. Some Nords have to be kept muted at all times, because their voices have been developed in such a way that they've become living siege weapons. Armies will actually have these guys stand in front of a fortification and shout, blowing the thing apart. Downside being that anytime they talk, destruction follows.

None of them ever appear outside Skyrim, though.

A user named cat

Speaking of mudcrabs, I wonder what Bethesda's next-gen replacement will be for bothersome creatures.

Morrowind = cliff racers
Oblivion = mudcrabs
TES V = ???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom