Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TES V will take place 200 years after Oblivion

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Clockwork Knight said:
btw, doesn't Risen list a sledgehammer as Axe
Yap. It's rather silly innit.

LazyD

Liturgist
I hope theres plenty of toilets with 200 year old stagnant piss water I can drink from to replenish my Hp with!111

mu

Novice
oh shit. 200 years? you are all wrong. this won't be fallout-like, it will be steampunk. they already have early forms in morrowind, it would bridge oblivion and fallout and the last big rpg bethesda hasn't raped in any way so far is arcanum. it allows them to do spells and guns in the same game. it all makes a sick kind of sense.

remember, you read it here first. also, there will be a cheap lovecraft reference and at least 2 cults.

LazyD

Liturgist
mu said:
oh shit. 200 years? you are all wrong. this won't be fallout-like, it will be steampunk. they already have early forms in morrowind, it would bridge oblivion and fallout and the last big rpg bethesda hasn't raped in any way so far is arcanum. it allows them to do spells and guns in the same game. it all makes a sick kind of sense.

remember, you read it here first. also, there will be a cheap lovecraft reference and at least 2 cults.

EAT SHIT AND DIE OBLIVION FANBOI FAGGOT

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
mu said:

My money goes on this.

bhlaab

Erudite
The oblivion thing wasn't really a crisis was it? Just some portals opening up that didnt really go out of their way to bother anybody.

Zeus

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
Kingston said:
2010 - "This will not be Fallout 3 with spells" says Todd Howard.

2011 - "This will be Fallout 3 with spells!"

No no no! 200 years in the future! They'll have guns then, lots of 1950s retrofuturistic guns! And magic-powered mini-nukes! And golems will have advanced to Mr Handy-style Robots!

Isn't that what they're doing with the Fable series, pushing it closer and closer to modern times each game?

Iago42

Novice
bhlaab said:
The oblivion thing wasn't really a crisis was it? Just some portals opening up that didnt really go out of their way to bother anybody.

One of the ex-writers from Morrowind who still kinda does stuff for Bethesduh wrote something other provinces being far worse in terms of damage, but he's also a crazy hobo on all kinds of drugs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zeus said:
Azrael the cat said:
Kingston said:
2010 - "This will not be Fallout 3 with spells" says Todd Howard.

2011 - "This will be Fallout 3 with spells!"

No no no! 200 years in the future! They'll have guns then, lots of 1950s retrofuturistic guns! And magic-powered mini-nukes! And golems will have advanced to Mr Handy-style Robots!

Isn't that what they're doing with the Fable series, pushing it closer and closer to modern times each game?

Yeah, but in Fable there's not much of a lore they could rape. I wonder what they're going to do with Elder Scrolls 5. And the thing I wonder most: how many cities will there be?

Morrowind had a multitude of cities, some large, some small. Oblivion had only very few and it didn't seem like it was the Imperial Province, more like some backwater shithole with large stretches of empty land and sparse population. Fallout 3 had... Megaton and Rivet City, that's it. The rest were 3 houses with 5 people.

I wonder how fucked up and illogical world design will be this time.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Morrowind had a multitude of cities, some large, some small. Oblivion had only very few and it didn't seem like it was the Imperial Province, more like some backwater shithole with large stretches of empty land and sparse population. Fallout 3 had... Megaton and Rivet City, that's it. The rest were 3 houses with 5 people.

I wonder how fucked up and illogical world design will be this time.

Yeah it's been a downhill ride since MW, but it's kinda hard to even imagine they could pull off something worse than FO3 - sure it's a wasteland and all, but the settlements were all just pathetic.

Oh but maybe they could drop down the amount of skills again: 3 skills per specialization for a total of 9 could be better so that the console players wouldn't have to scroll down to see them all in the screen. :lol:

Syraxis

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
So are they just going to re-release Fallout 3? :?

No, on the linear main quest you will be searching for mom now.

Emotional Vampire said:
It's like Arcanum with guns

uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh

TES V will have a steampunk setting... and the design quality will still suck.

Iago42 said:
bhlaab said:

One of the ex-writers from Morrowind who still kinda does stuff for Bethesduh wrote something other provinces being far worse in terms of damage, but he's also a crazy hobo on all kinds of drugs.

He's right, though. In-game one of the few conversations NPCs will have with each other (over and over and over) is that Ald'ruhn from Morrowind got itself overrun, then basically blasted off the map.

I think the Imperial Province was just too boring for the Daedra to go after too much, so they stuck with more interesting places.

Zeus said:

Yeah, but the Elder Scrolls seems to be like Star Wars when it comes to passages of time. Things up till now didn't really change all that much. People like Baladas Dnemvani and Dviath Fyr were Telvanni Mage-Lords for millenia, and didn't seem to think there had been anything really radical.

Kron said:
200 years?

So, will the game be taking place in some kind of awfully boring and generic renaissance?

Not really. Read some of the books, and the Tamriel of now doesn't really seem all that different than when the Empire was first established. No new technology or anything, or radical advancements.

Some group will vanish for awhile (The Psijic Order, for example), boundary lines will change, but otherwise everything stays the same. As noted by some of the NPCs with far longer life-spans.

Norfleet

That is because there hasn't been a nice plague to wipe out a third of the population. You obliterate a third of the population, and things will change. Otherwise, things tend to continue at their comfortable, slow pace of not-change, particularly when your society is encumbered by ancient dodderers who never quite kick it to make room for the new.

Norfleet said:
That is because there hasn't been a nice plague to wipe out a third of the population. You obliterate a third of the population, and things will change. Otherwise, things tend to continue at their comfortable, slow pace of not-change, particularly when your society is encumbered by ancient dodderers who never quite kick it to make room for the new.

A problem with the plague thing is that 'Curse Disease' spells are apparently some of the simplest things around. It makes sense they've been so well researched, considering you could get about 12 of them just wandering around Morrowind if you weren't careful. Cast the spells yourself, have someone else do it, drink a potion, ask for intervention from one of the dozens of gods by leaving offerings, etc.

About the only ones that haven't been completely cured were Lycanthropy and Vampirism, and even those can be destroyed if noticed within the first couple hours.

The Blight had straight out godly origins, and eventually Divath Fyr figured out a way around it. Then the Nerevarine made the whole point moot by destroying the source.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
When trying to predict what Bethesda are going to do, I've found hedging on the side of the most conservative is usually best.

My guess is that almost nothing, technology wise, will have changed and all we'll see is a change to the political landscape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom