Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Please have good puzzles and exploration. They've shown almost nothing but cutscenes and almost all of the other "point & click revival" games seems to lack in those areas.

Have you ever played a Tex Murphy game before?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully it comes to GOG the same day.

Can't fucking wait. Under a Killing Moon is probably my favorite adventure game ever.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Have you ever played a Tex Murphy game before?
TBH he does have a point. A big part of Tex games starting with UKM was that exquisite balance of cheesy and engaging FMV, but the reason TPD is such an incredibly good game is because the actual gameplay parts are excellent and compare favourably to every other great adventure game out there, and that's also the reason the Tex games are the only FMV adventures we still talk about and want to see more of. That first long trailer they released, and the Adrian Carr interview, shows they've nailed one aspect perfectly. I trust Chris to nail the second one too, but I would so love to SEE the game in action before it comes out.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Soooooo I am playing the beta and for some reason my video card just starts beeping a lot when I play the game. Anyone got a good temp monitoring tool that I can fire up to see whether my video card is overheating?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Soooooo I am playing the beta and for some reason my video card just starts beeping a lot when I play the game. Anyone got a good temp monitoring tool that I can fire up to see whether my video card is overheating?

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Is TE's 3D engine that advanced :cool:

You could always switch on vsync if the game is melting your gpu. Force it in CCC or Nvidia Control Panel if the option is not yet in the game.

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Is TE's 3D engine that advanced :cool:

You could always try using vsync if the game is melting your gpu.

I don't know :) I fully realize that yes, it's a beta and all that it implies but holy hell I thought my card was going to explode as it sounded like a bomb ticking off :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, with vsync off the game could run at very high FPS and this could cause your gpu to run at 100%. Don't worry much about melting though. Your PC will crash if it overheats, before it actually melts.

TBH he does have a point. A big part of Tex games starting with UKM was that exquisite balance of cheesy and engaging FMV, but the reason TPD is such an incredibly good game is because the actual gameplay parts are excellent and compare favourably to every other great adventure game out there, and that's also the reason the Tex games are the only FMV adventures we still talk about and want to see more of. That first long trailer they released, and the Adrian Carr interview, shows they've nailed one aspect perfectly. I trust Chris to nail the second one too, but I would so love to SEE the game in action before it comes out.
I hope the new game has the scope of Pandora, which indeed is the best Tex game, but frankly I'd like less brutal puzzles in game mode. Pandora had a shitload of puzzles, most of them well-made with logical difficulty, but there were a few very difficult and convoluted puzzles among them. And I'm not even talking about getting the quickest solution which nets you the most points.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I get your point. Puzzles get in the way of narration, but for fuck sake. All adventure games coming out these days claiming they are true to their roots of being badass and hard and have a lot of puzzles and shit turn out to be piss easy. Look at that Doublefine game whose name I can't even bother to remember although I backed it, and look at Broken Sword.

Give us a fucking difficult game. Give us something that will at least make me scratch my head for 30 minutes at some places. Hell, the Tex Murphy series has a tradition of ingame hints for people who are not into that. That should be more than enough.

Deleted member 7219

Soundtrack is up on the backer site.

Listening to it now. Sounds fantastic. I really, really can't wait for this, haven't been this excited about a game since Fallout: New Vegas and The Witcher 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pre-ordered on GOG. Latest trailer looks like it's half taken from a single skyline cab ride CGI. Either way, looks great and I am excited as shit.

Ready for disappoint!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Only 18 bucks on GOG? Holy shit, really expected at least 30. This seems like a dumping price tbh but I'm definitelly not the one to complain.

Sold.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I get your point. Puzzles get in the way of narration, but for fuck sake. All adventure games coming out these days claiming they are true to their roots of being badass and hard and have a lot of puzzles and shit turn out to be piss easy. Look at that Doublefine game whose name I can't even bother to remember although I backed it, and look at Broken Sword.

Give us a fucking difficult game. Give us something that will at least make me scratch my head for 30 minutes at some places. Hell, the Tex Murphy series has a tradition of ingame hints for people who are not into that. That should be more than enough.

The original? I remember spending ages wandering around trying to figure out what to put where.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Only 18 bucks on GOG? Holy shit, really expected at least 30. This seems like a dumping price tbh but I'm definitelly not the one to complain.

They probably looked around the market and saw that $20 is basically the norm for new adventure games.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They probably looked around the market and saw that $20 is basically the norm for new adventure games.
I know, it's just...for some reason this comes over as the first non-indie, big budget adventure game in 20 years, straight from the times when adventures were the mainstreamest mainstream.

Although in reality it is indie and the budget probably wasn't anywhere near big.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I know, it's just...for some reason this comes over as the first non-indie, big budget adventure game in 20 years, straight from the times when adventures were the mainstreamest mainstream.

Although in reality it is indie and the budget probably wasn't anywhere near big.
The budget is enough if you don't insist on having you offices in Frisco. (IIRC it was $450k from the KS and another $300k from their own money)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The budget is enough if you don't insist on having you offices in Frisco.

I'm not dissing it, just saying it comes over as a mainstream adventure in this day and age although the budget is nowhere near the AAA adventures of the days of yore, when Pandora Directive or Beast Within cost 4 million.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The budget is enough if you don't insist on having you offices in Frisco.

I'm not dissing it, just saying it comes over as a mainstream adventure in this day and age although the budget is nowhere near the AAA adventures of the days of yore, when Pandora Directive or Beast Within cost 4 million.
Which is why instead of trying for cutting edge tech they went with stylistic suck.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even 4 million is "small budget" now-a-days.

evdk hit the nail on the head though, most US game developers live in California and demand $200k a year plus benefits to even think of working, then spend half their workday surfing the internet. So budgets are a bit inflated.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

The budget is enough if you don't insist on having you offices in Frisco. (IIRC it was $450k from the KS and another $300k from their own money)

Bingo. He lives in Utah so I assume that's where most(all) of the production was? Maybe not. You can make a game anywhere. Even the film and television industries are starting to shy away from California more and more. More favorable production costs and tax incentives in places as far ranging as Canada and Louisiana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom