Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 90s was the apex of coolness in gaming, right?

Silva

Arcane
Shadowrun had the Rocker, the Burned-Out Mage and the Tribesman. Archetypes that made the game as much about cultural attitudes as about turn-based firefights.
Planescape had a Sigil full of attitude that treated primes like rednecks, and factions fighting themselves for beliefs. Edit: oh and the Blood War, which was kinda stupid but still stylish.

All that is gone in newer editions, the attitude and flair substituted by bland imagery and ideas. I'm sure there are other examples of settings going through similar sanitization, videogames included.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
While technically true, of course that's not the metric we're going by. We're going by what released in one decade to the next. And that matters a lot to many of us because we've already played almost all the good shit of the 90s, many times over. And we know that as a hobby and artform, it's over. Lost knowledge and history.

Also the fact that it actually damages society by feeding kids retard-tier games (and giving them gambling addictions), not prestigious monocled ones.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, 90s is objectively the best decade for video games. I don't think it can be topped anytime soon.

I could see VR arcades becoming a thing in the future, assuming the world doesn't go full hypocondriac with covid hysteria or the world doesn't get vaporized by world war three first.

VR arcades could give 90's arcades a run for their money. Counterpoint though, only aging 90's boomers visit VR arcades in the future.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
90s was the apex of tabletop gaming because there was no internet and people met to play together and enjoy each other company, even the weird nerds like I was.
Also the choice in TTRPG and miniature games was great.

Silva

Arcane
My point was more about aesthetics (though their substance wasn't much behind either). I mean, look at these settings and concepts, most of those wouldn't even be possible nowadays.

Wolfenstein
Doom
System Shock
Ultima Underworld
Darklands
Silent Hill
Fallout
PS: Torment
Arcanum
Deus Ex
Starcraft Brood War
Alpha Centauri

And then on tabletop:

Shadowrun
Earthdawn
Kult
World of Darkness
SLA Industries
Dark Sun
Ravenloft
Planescape
In Nomine
Unknown Armies

So much good stuff with great style in a 10 years interval, it's crazy.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Did you read the title at all? We're talking about gaming.

Yes I read the title and what I said is true, especially in the tabletop space. TTRPGs of the 1990s were objectively worse than the 1980s. That's also when you had the tourists invade using systems produced by White Wolfe.

Unless you think people playing dress up as goths and spreading STDs is an improvement.

Ash

Arcane
Oh, apologies. It was I that did not read (and some others too, it seems). I'll see myself out. Enjoy.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Magic The Gathering took a big bite out of ttRPGs in the 90s. I never hear that talked about much, but it's true.

Yeah, obviously Magic became massive in the 90s worldwide and brought a ton of new people to the tabletop/wargame/card game scene. I remember tabletop roleplayers quite often complaining when Magic players started to occupy the scene at various roleplaying cons and ultimately probably were the majority in them. Of course Magic was pretty genius business-wise, get people hooked to collecting and buying cards which you'll never have a "complete" set of, with tabletop most players were happy with the core rules and a couple of dice and that's it, maybe a few supplement books here and there.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would posit that the 1980s was the apex and the entire grunge movement shit all over things.
Now we're officially friends :hug:

Yeah, rock stars were bad, being a master of your instrument was bad, fun was bad... so it all had to be replaced by some whiny kids staring at their shoes on stage who couldn't play their way out of a paper bag...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
90s were the last decade with any kind of visual (or other) identity, so yeah, it was indeed the apex for many things

911 Jumper

Educated
PS1 brought futuristic aesthetics, techno music, club culture, and gaming together to make it cool. PS2 refined it.

orcinator

Liturgist
VIDYAFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also the best decade for tabletop gaming is clearly the 2000's since Warhammer stil made model kits whose pieces could be swapped with with every other kit in the same army a few other armies as well.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Alternity was definitely the last interesting scifi ttrpg. Traveler's Third Imperium setting has its odd jobs in space sandbox, but Star*Drive added in a lot of interesting elements like politics, national backgrounds, psionics, mutants, cyberware, alien invasions, frontiers, etc. Dark•Matter has its "all conspiracies are true" setting that mixes in freemasons, illuminati, rosicrucians, satanists, cyborg pod people, vampires, Roswell grays, ghosts, demons, etc. Nothing made since has drawn my interest and I've gone through a lot of them.

I feel like ttrpgs in general have taken a huge nose dive in depth and creativity in the late 2000s, although they've been declining since at least the mid 90s when the market as a whole started crashing due to competition with console video games. All the IPs that survived from before then are pale shadows of themselves that just repackage the stuff they wrote in the past. Tabletop can't compete with video games, so most publishers have resorted to scummy mtx vtts and video game adaptations to maintain revenue, if they weren't already bought by video game companies aiming to mine their IPs and that's has been hit and miss.

Did you read the title at all? We're talking about gaming.

Yes I read the title and what I said is true, especially in the tabletop space. TTRPGs of the 1990s were objectively worse than the 1980s. That's also when you had the tourists invade using systems produced by White Wolfe.

Unless you think people playing dress up as goths and spreading STDs is an improvement.
Yeah, that period of elitist goths thinking they were better than D&D players was horrible and I'm really frustrated that it's been swept under the rug. The surviving fandom is still horrible and the new recruits who weren't there when things went down are the worst. Most of them have never actually played the tabletop, haven't even read the pretentious text of the actual books (like I did during my pretentious angsty teen phase, which I regret to this day) but got all their information from heavily abridged and biased wiki pages. Maybe they played some Redemption or Bloodlines if they're lucky. Doesn't stop them from singing praises and claiming "the Paradox games would be totally perfect if they followed these plans in my imagination that don't disappoint me."

Another good one from the 90s was Legend of the Five Rings. Very elegant design (for the RPG, RnK is one of the finest RPG systems out there IMHO), and a setting that is a pastiche of East Asia and easy to get into (and sure to offend modern sensibilities, I remember some liberals "literally shaking" because of the banzai shouts at the CCG and later on, LCG tournaments). In regards to the CCG... well, the late 90s were a few years of overengineered CCGs. I remember finding my old Unicorn deck a few months ago and being unable to make sense out of half of it, and it was a deck I remember as being smooth to run.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
this is the best year in gaming because u can play old shit and new shit
this applies to every new year
That's not true though. You have 3 problems to contend with.

A, digital products disappear. There's flash based games or MMOs with no servers any more. Those games are just gone forever and there's no way to recover some of them.
B, Same applies to rule books and finding out of print stuff. Someone has a copy of Goblin rampage VS Elf hookers version 2.5 but you sure as fuck don't and never will. Unless some Grog decides to scan it and upload it online you cannot play some games because you can never read their rules.
C, You have to find someone willing to play Goblin Rampage VS Elf hookers version 3.0 because that's not as easy as it sounds. Unless you have a regular opponent/group you're at the whims of the many. The many like GW and.. well that's about it. Even modern alternatives are hard to find players for.
VIDYAFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also the best decade for tabletop gaming is clearly the 2000's since Warhammer stil made model kits whose pieces could be swapped with with every other kit in the same army a few other armies as well.
Warhammer in the 2000s was at it's weakest and almost got dethroned by warmachine. I would also argue that Warhammer has never been and never will be the best thing in tabletop gaming. It is without a hint of irony, goyslop. It's everything mashed together into a tasteless paste. We all started with Warhammer but there's a reason we all moved on.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If a digital product disappears, then it means that it was a bad product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom