Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The adventure thread (Free beer and false advertising!)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've already mentioned last express , great game and one of a kind. But "a certain guy" hasn't yet added anything in the first page.... :roll:

Longshanks

Augur
Heh, so you did. For Nedrah, Ghostdog's TLE post is also on page 3.

The game bares repeating anyway, best Adventure I've played since Grim Fandango, despite it being released a year earlier. I played Fandango on release in 1998, didn't play TLE till a couple of days ago.

Nedrah

Erudite
All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All university and no play makes Nedrah a dull boy.All...

So, I FINALLY updated the first page. Did you know we have an actual limit on how long a post can become until it just gets cut off? A good part of the list only existed in my firefox's cache for a while because of that. Hopefully nothing was lost.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
hmm, In Greece university students just get a better price from internet providers , but at least it's without time/dl limits.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, there are actually one or two possibilities to get "cheaper" access for students.
Trouble is, those suck horribly. They may be cheaper, but only compared to the inflated prices that Deutsche Telekom is still trying to charge people. For about the same price, I (finally again) have a DSL(16000down/1000up) flatrate from an alternate provider, who includes a phone flat as a bonus. Sets me back about 30€ per month, but is worth it for me.

So, that being said, I just understood why you started talking about providers in the first place. When I wrote "we have a limit", I was talking about the codex. I never noticed that before, but it seems the list got too long for our trusty old board software to handle.

mjorkerina

Scholar
I can't believe Rama is nowhere to be seen in this thread. This is one of the pearls published by Sierra. It's loosely based on Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur Clarke. I never loved Sci-Fi as much as when i've seen 2001 Space Odyssey the movie and Rama the game.
Even though you spend quite a bit of time surrounded with people there is an indescriptible loneliness feeling that grows on you while you are solving puzzles and adventuring in the wonders of that planetary-like cylinder-shaped "spaceship".

fastpunk

Arbiter
mjorkerina said:
I can't believe Rama is nowhere to be seen in this thread.
Then make a post with some info on the game, just like everyone else did, and Nedrah will put in the list when he's around.

Anyway, I noticed that Post Mortem was in here too, so I decided to add this entry for Still Life, since the two games are related.

Name: Still Life
Developer: Microids
Released: 2005
Description: "Victoria McPherson, is a brilliant young FBI agent who's investigating a serial murder case. The body count is now at five and with the lack of real leads and a moutain of circumstantial evidence, Victoria is beginning to show signs of fatigue and stress. She decides to take a break and go rest at her father's home in suburban Chicago; after all, it is close to the Christmas holidays. However, Victoria does not find rest. Instead, she finds one of her grandfather's old case files and begins to read. Oddly enough, Victoria's present case resembles the one from the past, right down to the killer's MO" - Microids website
Link: http://www.microids.com/en/catalogue/10/still-life-victoria-mcpherson-s-adventures.html

Nedrah

Erudite
fastpunk said:
[...] and Nedrah will put in the list when he's around.

Hey, look, it only took me about a month to notice that you had made another contribution.
If anyone wants his game on the list faster, it is always a good idea to drop me a short pm so I know that there's something new around.

Thanks for your contribution, as always it's appreciated.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Nedrah said:
fastpunk said:
[...] and Nedrah will put in the list when he's around.

Hey, look, it only took me about a month to notice that you had made another contribution.
If anyone wants his game on the list faster, it is always a good idea to drop me a short pm so I know that there's something new around.

Thanks for your contribution, as always it's appreciated.

Hey, look, it took me over a month to notice you noticed. :P I'll be sure to PM you next time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Missing rome 92 AD
Missing the Conquest games (WTF man!)
Missing the quest for glory games (WTF man!!!).

Name: It Came from the Desert
Developer: Cinemaware
Description: "Like most of Cinemaware's titles, It Came From the Desert takes its inspiration from Hollywood. This game is undoubtedly inspired by dozens of 1950s "B" movies, especially the 1954 mutant-ant classic Them!, It Came From the Desert is one of Cinemaware's most innovative creations. The original It Came From the Desert was nominated for SPA Game of the Year in 1990. The game is a fairly non-linear combination of dialogue boxes and several types of action scenes, typical of contemporary Cinemaware releases. The game is set in 1951. When the rural American town of Lizard Breath witnesses a meteor fall, town geologist and player character Greg Bradley has to discover the source of some strange occurrences. His role as a young man of science in a 1950s movie setting also gives Bradley the ability to operate aircraft, heavy machinery and several types of firearms, and to suffer no injury worse than a flesh wound unless he's committing a heroic sacrifice."-Wikipedia
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Came_from_the_Desert
Lets Play: http://www.youtube.com/user/Necroscope8 ... 77D1203048

Name: Bad Mojo
Developer: Pulse Entertainment
Description: Bad Mojo is a computer game by Pulse Entertainment, released in 1996. The player is cast as Roger Samms, an entomologist planning to embezzle money from a research grant to escape his sordid life above an abandoned bar. An accident with his mother's enchanted locket unleashes the bad mojo, turning him into a cockroach.The storyline in Bad Mojo is loosely based on Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. In the game, the cat's name is Franz and the main character Roger Samms is a play on the lead character in Metamorphosis." - Wikipedia
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Mojo
Lets Play: http://www.youtube.com/user/Necroscope8 ... CFE650F9B1

Name: Rome: Pathway to Power/Rome: AD 92
Developer: Firstlight
Description: Set in Ancient Rome, you start life as a poor slave in Herculaneum, which along with Pompeii was destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Versuvius. Eventually you travel to Rome and climb the social ladder, becoming a Captain in the army, a Senator and eventually Emperor of Rome. Four of the game's six levels are adventure style romps, while in the other two levels you control an army in an attempt to conquer an enemy of Rome. The game is made all the more interesting by the little details to be seen around the levels; from naked people running around the Baths, to buying slaves to fight in the Gladiatorial games. There are also RPG aspects to the game, especially in the way you have the freedom to choose how to deal with various problems." - Mobygames
Link: http://www.mobygames.com/game/rome-pathway-to-power
Lets Play: http://www.youtube.com/user/Necroscope8 ... 7FE8F2DB3E

Name: Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon
Developer: Coktel Vision
Description: In 1992's Gobliins 2 the player controls two characters: Fingus (who is well-mannered, intelligent and shy) and Winkle (who is dumb enough to not know how to push a button in the first screen, but who is almost terminally brave). They've been sent to rescue the King's son, the Prince Buffoon, who has been kidnapped by the evil Amoniak. Both goblins can pick up and use items, and both generally use an item in different ways. Unlike its predecessor, Gobliins 2 allows (and requires) the player to travel back and forth between rooms. Also, both goblins can be given an order simultaneously, allowing for the inclusion of timing puzzles. A significant difference between this game and its predecessor is that in Gobliins 2 neither playable character can die." - Wikipedia
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobliiins
Lets Play: http://www.youtube.com/user/Kikoskia?bl ... 654308AC7D

Name: Goblins Quest 3
Developer: Coktel Vision
Description:1993's Goblins Quest 3 was originally known as just Goblins 3, but after Sierra got involved they decided to add the -Quest suffix in an attempt to align the game with their other Quest series (see King's Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest).

In this game the player controls originally only one Goblin called Blount, but gets assistance from a number of sidekicks throughout the game including Chump the parrot, Ooya the magician, and Fulbert the snake. Blount is also bitten by a wolf early in the game and, after escaping from the afterlife, must contend with semi-frequent changes into a super-strong but uncouth werewolf alter ego. Most areas in Goblins 3 are larger than the screen and therefore scroll. The game features 18 different levels, and like Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon, some are interconnected to each other - e.g. walking from the countryside to the inn - whilst others can't be exited until the player has finished that specific level. Later in the game, the player discovers that the main protagonist, Blount, was in fact the little prince that was kidnapped in Gobliins 2: The Prince Bufoon.." - Wikipedia
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobliiins
Lets Play: http://www.youtube.com/user/Kikoskia?bl ... A1A9C137CC

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
hmm, In Greece university students just get a better price from internet providers , but at least it's without time/dl limits.

We are also charged more for much less of a bandwidth. Compare us to oh, say a Dutch provider, prices wise..will make you cry :)

edit: 'we' as in generally..not sure about any students packages, my only association with students is when i get to torture them inside the classroom, hihi

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
flight-of-the-amazon-queen-5.png

Really digging this game recently. I remember downloading a demo or shareware version of it as a kid... Dicked around with it but didn't get very far.

I've been on a adventure game kick lately, so I boot this one back up and it's really worth the time. If you like adventure games of the era, you really owe yourself to try it out. It's even better than my previous favourite sleeper LucasArts-ripoff, Teen Agent (which you get for free at GOG now!!!!).

scummvm_2_3_1-full.png

Apparently also has a Hebrew version if you're a jew, so basically everybody should play this game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
OP is missing Tormentum (relatively new, short, puzzle-oriented adventure game with gorgeous graphics), but that's ok. But not mentioning Space Quest series is a goddamn crime.

:rpgcodex:

sq5terminate.jpg

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
And by the way, Goetia is excellent. Best adventure game puzzles for ages, excellent design all over the place.
(Reading involved)

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i don't see Dune.
Name: Dune
Developer: Cryo Interactive
Description: Dune is a 1992 adventure strategy video game, based upon Frank Herbert's science fiction novel of the same name. Developed by Cryo Interactive and published by Virgin Interactive, Dune blends adventure with economic and military strategy. Loosely following the story of the novel, the game casts the player as Paul Atreides, with the ultimate goal of driving the Harkonnen from Planet Dune, while managing spice extraction, military, and later, ecology through the native Fremen tribes. As the player progresses, his troops are equipped with weapons from "crysknives" to atomics, tap into Paul's latent psychic powers, and get acquainted with such characters from the book as Chani and Liet-Kynes. Released for the Amiga and IBM PC compatibles, it was one of the first floppy games to be converted to CD format, which included footage of the David Lynch movie, voice-acting for all speaking roles, and highly improved, 3D-rendered traveling and location screens.
Link: http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/dune.php

I have some great ones for you:

Heart of China: Campy B movie style adventure with all the great humor, puzzles, variety and creativity and funny deaths you would expect from Dynamix.

Amazon: Guardians of Eden: One of the best and most difficult adventure games ever made, with all that made Access great. Plenty of humor, great death scenes, a nice style and a lengthy adventure. It does, however, have lots of dead ends, often before long, boring action scenes. Objects are often pixel-sized and will fuck you over if you miss them.

Sam and Max Hit the Road: One of the definitive Lucasarts games, with almost as much humor and creativity as Day of the Tentacle. Unfortunately it has no deaths so it never achieves the greatness of the best Sierra and Dynamix games, but otherwise this is unique.

Randal's Monday: A hilarious, very creative tribute to Lucasarts. Lots of great puzzles that all follow an internal logic--if you apply real-world logic as the reviewers clearly did, you will fail, but if you try to follow the creator's train of thought you will succeed.

Dropsy: An adventure game that manages to tell a story with no legible text or comprehensible dialogue. Quite memorable and creative.

Countdown: Made by the same creators as Tex Murphy, a well-made spy story with plenty of humor, deaths and characters.

Policenauts: The successor to Snatcher and technically the last in the timeline of one my favorite series, Metal Gear. A mix of action movie cliches and Metal Gear insanity and it works quite well.

Gateway 2: Homeworld and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: Sequels to games on this list. Gateway 2 is not quite as good as the first, but still a great game with a memorable and fun game. Fate of Atlantis is a vast improvement over Last Crusade, with more humor, fewer annoying action sequences and an interesting choice of routes.

Perdition's Flames: A good text adventure, a lot of humor and good puzzles, quite fun.

Other Worlds: A strange game, and although I do not like the fourth wall breaking ending, it does have a lot of fun.

Professor Layton versus Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: A good mix of two series that has a nice sense of mystery, until another fourth wall breaking ending.

Return to Zork: An old text adventure series is recreated in a graphical form, but with no simplification: This game has a lot of complex puzzles, great humor, characters and unexpected twists. It has dozens of dead ends, though, and can be very frustrating.

K.G.B: An interesting look at Russia at the end of the Cold War. Note, however, that its dead ends made Amazon and Return to Zork seems simple and forgiving.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom