Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's funny that back in 2012 /2013 ~ 50% of codex has been shitting on AoD* and now 3 years later aod is suddenly great incline in the eyes of hivemind :lol:
After the wave of mediocrity from kickstarter, AoD isn't so bad. At least it's a proper effort for what it is.

Brave Lo Wang arrives at the mysteriooz monastery to recover the elixir of popamole health regen!

But what is this, the people living inside have dismantled the bridge? No matter, Lo Wang the ninja with 5 grappling hooks and 10 dexterity can certainly use acrobajix to vault over the few remaining planks and ropes to get to the other side!

What do you mean he can't? Oh, I have to join up with the raiders waiting outside and storm the monastery after they magically conjure up a gangplank out of their asses as my only hope of getting inside? Okay! Let's do that!

However, unbeknownst to the brave Lo Wang, the monastery inhabitants are not, as their name tags would suggest, just simple 'villagers' and 'young villagers'. They are an undercover Finnish sniper division that can tear any man apart with their shitty bronze regular arrows! Without Lo Wang, the raiders would surely be doomed... which only makes him wonder how do they manage to automagically win if he leaves the area and returns.

But no fear! Brave Lo Wang cuts through the first line of melee defenders and goes up the elevator or ladder or whatever... to end up with 3 enemy dudes right in his face because that's what an archer would aspire to do!

Still, no problem! After finally disposing of Simo Hayha and his cronies, and leaving behind his only remaining raider companion who has 9 hp left, he moves deeper into the monastery!

But what is this? Raider head honcho and his two arrer boyz who 'stayed behind to cover the rear' have somehow managed to magically teleport themselves behind the broken bridge, the melee defenders, the elevator, the snipers and the ensuing fight right into the monastery... and they even had the time to LOOT IT ALREADY?

For this treason, the raiders must surely die! Lo Wang has a brave tactical plan, so he moves away to a side room to hide from the two enemy archers, knife and bola in hand.

BUT WHAT IS THIS? THE TWO ENEMY ARCHERS CAN SHOOT HIM THROUGH THE WALLS NO MATTER WHERE HE HIDES?!

THESE WALLS MUST BE AMERICAN MADE!

#justaodthings
:hero:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Brave Lo Wang arrives at the mysteriooz monastery to recover the elixir of popamole health regen!

But what is this, the people living inside have dismantled the bridge? No matter, Lo Wang the ninja with 5 grappling hooks and 10 dexterity can certainly use acrobajix to vault over the few remaining planks and ropes to get to the other side!

What do you mean he can't? Oh, I have to join up with the raiders waiting outside and storm the monastery after they magically conjure up a gangplank out of their asses as my only hope of getting inside? Okay! Let's do that!

However, unbeknownst to the brave Lo Wang, the monastery inhabitants are not, as their name tags would suggest, just simple 'villagers' and 'young villagers'. They are an undercover Finnish sniper division that can tear any man apart with their shitty bronze regular arrows! Without Lo Wang, the raiders would surely be doomed... which only makes him wonder how do they manage to automagically win if he leaves the area and returns.

But no fear! Brave Lo Wang cuts through the first line of melee defenders and goes up the elevator or ladder or whatever... to end up with 3 enemy dudes right in his face because that's what an archer would aspire to do!

Still, no problem! After finally disposing of Simo Hayha and his cronies, and leaving behind his only remaining raider companion who has 9 hp left, he moves deeper into the monastery!

But what is this? Raider head honcho and his two arrer boyz who 'stayed behind to cover the rear' have somehow managed to magically teleport themselves behind the broken bridge, the melee defenders, the elevator, the snipers and the ensuing fight right into the monastery... and they even had the time to LOOT IT ALREADY?

For this treason, the raiders must surely die! Lo Wang has a brave tactical plan, so he moves away to a side room to hide from the two enemy archers, knife and bola in hand.

BUT WHAT IS THIS? THE TWO ENEMY ARCHERS CAN SHOOT HIM THROUGH THE WALLS NO MATTER WHERE HE HIDES?!

#justaodthings

Sounds like Roxor found a game that's worse than PoE. Review's gonna be great.

Weasel
Yes, looking forward to the Roxor review. I take it someone from the Watch is working on one for the curator too.

Tigranes

Arcane
Pretty sure it was already added.

Really? Fuck me. Yeah, it seems the last BMT version didn't have it but the release version does. Salute.

The murderous psychopath candidate mercenary just killed the Arena champion in 3 turns, so we'll see how well he does in the Pass. The game definitely is easier than 2 years ago, because there's more goodies, more higher level equipment in the world.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

#justaodthings

Yup that whole thing was kinda dumb. I had to cheese it by going outside in the middle of the fight to heal and become un-netted because otherwise I would just get killed by magical homing arrows.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Or they waited for you to clear the way and become a bait, used a grappling hook and avoided the defenders. Or just rushed straight to the vault while you were occupied fighting. As for "looting it already", you don't know how much time has passed after the fight. You were fighting all the time, they weren't so you had to stop to lick your wounds and take a breath, they didn't.

#complaining_that_a_crpg_doesn't_have_every_option_you_can_think_of_available

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Or they waited for you to clear the way and become a bait, used a grappling hook and avoided the defenders. Or just rushed straight to the vault while you were occupied fighting. As for "looting it already", you don't know how much time has passed after the fight. You were fighting all the time, they weren't so you had to stop to lick your wounds and take a breath, they didn't.

i guess they must have used one of those fabled dialogue option teleports since i couldn't see them anywhere during or after the fight

either that or they have some p. powergamed stealth

thx bro now the scenario makes perfect sense i wuld nevar have seen the logic behind it if not for u

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I sure want to have their teleporters then.

Nigga, your brilliant explanations are approaching uesp.net roleplaying levels. Read what you've just written again, maybe two more times if necessary, stand in the corner and think about your shameful conduct.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I sure want to have their teleporters then.

Nigga, your brilliant explanations are approaching uesp.net roleplaying levels. Read what you've just written again, maybe two more times if necessary, stand in the corner and think about your shameful conduct.
What teleporters? You clear the way, start going up and start fighting villagers. They go after you (no snipers now, the bridge is clear, the bottleneck is no more and they can climb the wall freely) and either avoid villagers and you altogether or just rush through you. You don't see them because you're occupied or because they're too far. Jak chłop krowie.

hivemind

Really? Fuck me. Yeah, it seems the last BMT version didn't have it but the release version does. Salute.

The murderous psychopath candidate mercenary just killed the Arena champion in 3 turns, so we'll see how well he does in the Pass. The game definitely is easier than 2 years ago, because there's more goodies, more higher level equipment in the world.
Pass is a lot harder now because everyone and their mother has a ranged weapon.

Also AI is actually using aimed attacks now so that's something too.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
LARPing has all the answers.

It's ironic you say that. Read DR's Lo Wang's post again.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I stand at one of the ladders and keep shooting the people standing at the other ladder, yet I do not notice the three raiders scaling the ladders.

I also don't notice them rushing through the decently crowded platform full of fighting people and moving towards the exit, conceivably actively pushing away the people that stand in their way to get to said exit.

The villagers, who are like 6 vs me and one other raider, also don't notice the 3 dudes scaling the wall and rushing past through them to loot the monastery they are so rabidly protecting at this very moment.

Nope. It's ok men u just dont notice them u see because in the five seconds it takes you to look around after kealing the villagers the three raiders activate warp drives and quickly move through. If they travel faster than light, of course you can't notice them!

IT IS ALL A LOGIX

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ever since I played the Teron demo I realized AoD operates on its own logic, it's your mistake for expecting it to make senz.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Why are you still assuming they they must go the same way you did? They could have used a grappling hook and climbed the wall quite a distance apart from you (you couldn't because you would be shot without any support). Why do you assume that you must have seen them rushing through? And why do you assume that if you see 3 dudes it must be 3 dudes? In Fallout you saw maybe 50 people in biggest cities yet we know that hundreds lived there. The same goes for biggest battles in AoD, you know there are hundreds if not thousands of soldiers but you only see a couple of dozens.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And why do you assume that if you see 3 dudes it must be 3 dudes? In Fallout you saw maybe 50 people in biggest cities yet we know that hundreds lived there.

Are you trying to goad Roxor into a teardown review of Fallout 1? I think he'd be up for that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:lol:

Dude, you are a fucking cultist. I bet this game still has as many bugs and whatnot as it does because you and your ilk were too busy masturbating over your 20th playthrough's excellent metagaming abilities and writing up LARP narratives in your heads to actually report issues when the beta/EA/whatever was still running.

Nothing is a bug when you can larp it away! Who knows, maybe the dudes shooting me through the walls also have homing missiles? The possibilities are endless!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Dude, you are a fucking cultist. I bet this game still has as many bugs and whatnot as it does because you and your ilk were too busy masturbating over your 20th playthrough's excellent metagaming abilities and writing up LARP narratives in your heads to actually report issues when the beta/EA/whatever was still running.
Says the guy who's masturbating to Shadowrun games :]. I could understand Underrail, but Shadowrun?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Nothing is a bug when you can larp it away! Who knows, maybe the dudes shooting me through the walls also have homing missiles? The possibilities are endless!
I'm sorry if you lack imagination to larp away any design mishaps.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Says the guy who's masturbating to Shadowrun games :]. I could understand Underrail, but Shadowrun?

The joke'll be on you when Shadowrun Hong Kong makes it into the Codex "ten best games of 2015" list and AoD does not.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Asking "how could the raiders leader possibly walk past me while I was fighting when I didn't see him walking past me?" is kinds silly. No offense, Roxor. Sure, we could pause the fight, grey out the controls, and show him walking past you. Maybe it would make you happier but for me it's a waste of time to script it.

For the record, I don't think the idea of the raiders leader holding back and then getting through the battlefield while you and the rest of his men are busy fighting is absolutely and utterly illogical and unbelievable.

The main reason it's designed this way is because the raiders leader won't let you loot it and leave, which could easily mean an impossible fight. So instead of them attacking you to take the spoils, you're simply told to fuck off, which makes fighting them your choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom