Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

Shadenuat

Arcane
:dead:dun

good parts of Shallie:
very little grinding
beautifur
beatufur musik
very pleasant

problems: kinda standard ending/stuff
oddly weak bombs
shit feels a bit level scaled, although there are like 5 difficulties

Atelier Aisha: imo strongest introduction to setting of dying world, least hand holding (which is great + and makes structure of the game very interesting as it doesn't end after main objective), nice time management (events etc.) feels of exploration, very pretty, high difficulty in the end (goddamn dragon), lots of optional endings, Keith, Keith, Keith

Escha and Logie: 2 protagonists, best couple, the poor poor bluebug princess, imo strongest mechanically (actually made me learn combat system), VERY strong alchemy (twin draw FTW), difficult optional bosses; but interesting stuff happens in last 20% of the game (lots of grinding, and I swear "carry 50 research items" stamp... kill meh)

Shallie: best production values (would be hard to look at any other atelier game after this one), no grinding, multiple difficulty options; BUT no time management and alchemy while good feels oddly weak in combat near some buffed dude hitting in the end for 152305923 damage at the end of chain; doesn't give same feel of exploration and management as Ayesha; really not that much freedom in endings (2 per heroine +replay game for xyz more hours to get 1 more pretty picture) Also themes of Dusk world already were done well enough in previous 2, so 3d one feels banal at this point.

tl;dr play everything.

while i was playing valkyrie did another video

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
i need more atelier. :kingcomrade::kingcomrade: (loudly snuffs on dunkelheit dust and wipes forehead with zettel)

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So basically every other games is better than sophie right ? I am growing more and more into sophie so far. If this is the worst one on steam (except for that townbuilding spinoff that i heard was bad) then it's gonna be so pleasant.

Too bad about the price. I wish they were more reasonable but japs gonna japs and ignore region price.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I only tried beginning of Sophie. didn't connect to me. I might be rong and all that.

with certainty i can only speak for grafix and musix and maybe QOL features; and there imo Shallie destroys other Atelier games.

also the setting. it is actually meaningful, not just isolated puni populated lands.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
This whole franchise is pretty bad. Ateler Ryza pawg butt unbreakable is too easy. Sophie tetris alchemy system is annoying. Mana khemia only one that is decent as a ff6-10 title.

Shadenuat

Arcane
so I finished Sophie

yes yes, I know ur reaction i do it myself : :hmmm:

anyway, first of all https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=860403840
it did not exist when I first tried it.

first of second of all, Sophie is not bad, but it is EXTREMELY slow by all standarts, and characters are pretty shallow even by anime standarts. Sophie is basically NEUTRAL GOOD stamped on her forehead, Plachta is... interesting, but holy fuck story goes slow, Oskar likes plants, etc. there are some cute moments but it is all pretty shallow.
the story lifts off forever and completes itself before you notice.

the synthesis and recipy ideas are... interesting. my problem is I forget every past synthesis system because I have to re-learn new one in every new game I play, so hard to make comparisons, but it is nuanced, although not as anal as Firis where multiple colored ingredients kick in.

for me it clicked when I had to fail on purpose in TIME LIMIT cauldron, get ash, turn ash into elixir, turn elixir into paper, well you know the drill.

also this gaem is very... lewd. I mean whole doll thing.

the endgame bosses are quite rapey.

overall I'd call it icewind dale of Ateliers: it teaches mechanics well, and is pretty, but falls flat in other areas.

I ALSO FINISHED MORROWIND OF ATELIERS: FIRIS

now Valkyrie said Firis failed at sales because it's not like other Ateliers. don't believe her. Firis failed because it is an open world game where you run for hours made by people who cannot do open world games. YOU RUN A LOT IN THIS GAME. it also features one of the GRINDIEST syntheses I ever played, and is basically very, very grindy. the tetris system becomes even more obtuse and frustrating, although even more powerful, although it's hard to point out a particular problem; but it also introduces a terrible, terrible mechanic: leveling up item recipes. basically, in Sophie to transfer traits from item to item or rotate tetris all you need is good cauldron.
well here's the kicker: to get traits and rotates you need to craft particular item multiple times to get xp, to level recipe up. if you don't do this, you cannot get traits/rotate stuff. unless you use cathalyst: additional item to mod your crafting. you can craft catalyst, but see previous paragraph.
bonus: u cannot copy items (no homo), only restock bombs/medicine.

it also introduces MEGA SYNTHESIS. what it means is crafting some quest big item. it goes like this: you need 15 distilled waters for it, and say 30 reagents. to craft 30 reagents, you also need distilled water... I hope you see where this is going. :shitposting:

at the same time there are very many interesting things in Firis. like you have portable Atelier. you choose your party and they travel with you and you do quests for them and level their friendship (hurr dragon age). you need to reach baldurs gate city (on time limit but it's ez, but of course you can do better or worse by completing more quests) and pass exam which picks from 100 random questions about alchemy (because developer is autist), craft high quality item on TIME LIMIT, and check your bomb damage on puni, and you can then fight 2 bosses (other alchemists) who are super secret and strong.

once you pass exam which is p easy unless you aim for high score, time limit is off, and GAME BEGINS. (the xx hours before is tutorial lmao). you get magic broom and fly around over water in Kiki Delivery costume. you open new areas like castlevania n shiet. and craft magic ship. and reach areas with lvl 55 bosses and quality 220 ingredients and everything everything in this game one-shots you unless you are a master autist, i mean alchemisst, and make 10000 damage bomb and one shot them all first.

suffice to say I just chosen ending where you travel with your cute sister and uninstal.exe but this game is enourmous, probably biggest atelier game I ever seen.
it was also insufferable in terms of boring companions and awful bring 10 leather open world quest design and fuckton of walking.

I ALSO TRIED RYZA.

Ryza is popamole decline garbage with garbage non-tb combat and some sort of dumbed down "shove all ingredients into it and be done with it" crafting. uninstalled p quickly. also while it's pretty I did not feel any improvements in writing at all and liked other games more.

TL DR DUSK is best, ARLAND is good, mysterious stop on SOPHIE, and Ryza is popamole garbo.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
E&L lets you pick music from almost every Gust game :incline:

012qk2n.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
so I finished Sophie

yes yes, I know ur reaction i do it myself : :hmmm:

anyway, first of all https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=860403840
it did not exist when I first tried it.

first of second of all, Sophie is not bad, but it is EXTREMELY slow by all standarts, and characters are pretty shallow even by anime standarts. Sophie is basically NEUTRAL GOOD stamped on her forehead, Plachta is... interesting, but holy fuck story goes slow, Oskar likes plants, etc. there are some cute moments but it is all pretty shallow.
the story lifts off forever and completes itself before you notice.

the synthesis and recipy ideas are... interesting. my problem is I forget every past synthesis system because I have to re-learn new one in every new game I play, so hard to make comparisons, but it is nuanced, although not as anal as Firis where multiple colored ingredients kick in.

for me it clicked when I had to fail on purpose in TIME LIMIT cauldron, get ash, turn ash into elixir, turn elixir into paper, well you know the drill.

also this gaem is very... lewd. I mean whole doll thing.

the endgame bosses are quite rapey.

overall I'd call it icewind dale of Ateliers: it teaches mechanics well, and is pretty, but falls flat in other areas.

I ALSO FINISHED MORROWIND OF ATELIERS: FIRIS

now Valkyrie said Firis failed at sales because it's not like other Ateliers. don't believe her. Firis failed because it is an open world game where you run for hours made by people who cannot do open world games. YOU RUN A LOT IN THIS GAME. it also features one of the GRINDIEST syntheses I ever played, and is basically very, very grindy. the tetris system becomes even more obtuse and frustrating, although even more powerful, although it's hard to point out a particular problem; but it also introduces a terrible, terrible mechanic: leveling up item recipes. basically, in Sophie to transfer traits from item to item or rotate tetris all you need is good cauldron.
well here's the kicker: to get traits and rotates you need to craft particular item multiple times to get xp, to level recipe up. if you don't do this, you cannot get traits/rotate stuff. unless you use cathalyst: additional item to mod your crafting. you can craft catalyst, but see previous paragraph.
bonus: u cannot copy items (no homo), only restock bombs/medicine.

it also introduces MEGA SYNTHESIS. what it means is crafting some quest big item. it goes like this: you need 15 distilled waters for it, and say 30 reagents. to craft 30 reagents, you also need distilled water... I hope you see where this is going. :shitposting:

at the same time there are very many interesting things in Firis. like you have portable Atelier. you choose your party and they travel with you and you do quests for them and level their friendship (hurr dragon age). you need to reach baldurs gate city (on time limit but it's ez, but of course you can do better or worse by completing more quests) and pass exam which picks from 100 random questions about alchemy (because developer is autist), craft high quality item on TIME LIMIT, and check your bomb damage on puni, and you can then fight 2 bosses (other alchemists) who are super secret and strong.

once you pass exam which is p easy unless you aim for high score, time limit is off, and GAME BEGINS. (the xx hours before is tutorial lmao). you get magic broom and fly around over water in Kiki Delivery costume. you open new areas like castlevania n shiet. and craft magic ship. and reach areas with lvl 55 bosses and quality 220 ingredients and everything everything in this game one-shots you unless you are a master autist, i mean alchemisst, and make 10000 damage bomb and one shot them all first.

suffice to say I just chosen ending where you travel with your cute sister and uninstal.exe but this game is enourmous, probably biggest atelier game I ever seen.
it was also insufferable in terms of boring companions and awful bring 10 leather open world quest design and fuckton of walking.

I ALSO TRIED RYZA.

Ryza is popamole decline garbage with garbage non-tb combat and some sort of dumbed down "shove all ingredients into it and be done with it" crafting. uninstalled p quickly. also while it's pretty I did not feel any improvements in writing at all and liked other games more.

TL DR DUSK is best, ARLAND is good, mysterious stop on SOPHIE, and Ryza is popamole garbo.
how the fuck do you play so fast?

also ryza is their best selling game. if so good chance future games will follow similar formula. i am almost done with sophie, just need to obtain several recipes to get all the recipes and fight some side bosses

Jinn

Arcane

Russian NEET for the betterment of the codex!

Seriously though, Shadenuat, thanks for these write-ups. You're the only person here I've gotten useful information about this series from. Still not sure if it's for me, but I'm becoming more interested. Might check out the newly released Dusk trilogy sometime soon. Ryza looked appealing, but that fact that it's supposed to be piss easy kind of turned me off.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Shadenuat i finished sophie. so i read aside from the extra dusk dungeon and 1 extra boss there is no endgame content? also there is no multiple endings? except the extra scene with
philosopher's stone
?

i liked it tbh. the crafting is pretty satisfying and the combat while unbalanced, can be pretty fun to meta a bit. the grind isn't so bad because unique rumor bosses and unique material rumor spawn pretty often, so unlike some other games it isn't really painful. the writing and story is to be honest still horrendous from start to end but other parts of the game made it up.

anyway so if i want to play other games, bascially plays arland games, then dusk, ignore the rest?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have mastered my feminine side. I draw strength from it and allow the power of moe to push me through. it flows through me and surrounds me like an energy field. back then, in the old days of codex, there existed great sensei, who opened to me such matters as atelier, persona and wizardry clones. I come from the era of the Bee and the Cat for they have trained me in the mysterious art of JRPG.

now, I alone remain.
and that psycho obsessed with her fucking blog.

Shadenuat i finished sophie. so i read aside from the extra dusk dungeon and 1 extra boss there is no endgame content? also there is no multiple endings? except the extra scene with
philosopher's stone
?
sophie doesn't have multiple endings, the true ending is where you make the tent and she says she will go on the journey. this later and Sophie story continues in Firis. she is your master in Firis and has her own story. there are multiple endings there you choose + time limit so Firis is more of a traditional Atelier in that respect.

anyway so if i want to play other games, bascially plays arland games, then dusk, ignore the rest?
more or less

imo

Rorona Plus: great entrance to the series, time limits, all that nice stuff
Totori: cute girl cute vo but feels like money grab
Meruru: p interesting since you play princess who has to develop her kingdom

Ayesha: the only accurate feeling I can give about this one is that it's like BG1
Escha & Logy: characters make this one
Shallie: BG2, although it is p easy

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Ayesha: the only accurate feeling I can give about this one is that it's like BG1

Except there's no evil wizard:
your sister is trapped in the world tree

Also your mentor is a chain-smoking cynic and somewhat cryptic with his hints :P

Dusk is basically the Atelier version of a post-apocalyptic setting, what with the ruins of a fallen civilization everywhere.

Shadenuat

Arcane
no logy in sophie is fanservice. you know it when you meet loli escha and feed her sweets in firis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom