Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Rosh? Is that you?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SuperNintendo Chalmers said:
torpid said:
I never once attacked the games you liked. In fact, I never ASKED you what games you liked.

I certainly don't troll internet forums and masturbate myself to sleep with obscure indie "masterpieces" from 1987.

You can, though.

Nice backtrack bro

Who's backtracking? I stand by every word I said, "bro". I was never attacking your TASTE, I was attacking your ATTITUDE. If you actually read what I write in context, you'd get that.
What's wrong Drog? Why do you find the ATTITUDE of the Codex so offensive? Is this because you're a Christian?

DraQ

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Sceptic said:
I don't know who you are, but that was awesome :love:

My post count proves my worth and intelligence.
My post count proves my wor...
Actually, it kind of does, at least in your case.
:smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Actually, it kind of does, at least in your case.
:smug:
WOX scale, not D&D scale :smug: :smug: :smug:

Ninja: I just noticed that my new signature is SO fitting, completely unintentionally :lol:

AJGB said:
@ every single thing SuperNintendo Chalmers has written in this thread:

Stupid complacent populist fucks like you are the reason films like this get made. I know you're thinking you're making a totally sensible dudebrah argument itt, and you're more or less vindicated by the vast majority of spineless homunculi that comprise the games journalism industry (of which I am a former member), but everything you've said in here is Pez-dispenser populist bilge that doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny when you consider that art has value beyond, you know, Casual Thrillz in between your Important Real Life Appointments. Feeling this way doesn't make you a stable, sensible human being, despite your obvious :smug: - it just makes you a philistine.

Yeah, there was once a time where the role-playing game genre actually had more to offer than INTENSE CINEMATIC EMOTIONEERING GAY ELF BUTTFUCK ROMANTIC SPACESHIP EXPLOSION, and the posters on this forum have every right to lament the decline of the genre. Because it is a decline. Pick up Fallout and compare the level of player agency, depth of character customisation (so comprehensive that any kind of LARPery was completely inessential), and flexibility of "player narrative" (as opposed to "designer narrative") on offer to what you get in fucking Mass Effect 2, and tell me shit's not royally fucked up the fucking wall of wailing cocks.

And don't give me this "but it's fun!!!1" tripe - "fun" is the most despicably useless critical term ever created; it has no real descriptive value and encompasses such a wide variety of sensations from person to person. And what's more, you blatantly ignore the possibility that a videogame (any videogame, not just an RPG) could, in fact, just maybe, be more than just "fun". Does art really need to always be "fun" or "exciting" in order to be worthwhile to you? Is the idea of a group of people wanting more from games than just HAHAAA I TRIGGERED A 3D SEX CUTSCENE ABND THEN BELEW UP A SPACESHIP so offensive? Are you really that much of a retard?

To say there's something wrong with people complaining about the decline of a specific facet of any artistic medium is basically tantamount to ignoring the value of criticism itself. Why have opinions? Why have standards of quality? Sure, I guess rape is pretty shit, but LOTS OF PEOPLE DO IT SO IT MUST BE GOOD?

:x :x :x

Jesus Christ-on-a-crooked-crutch, you are the most obnoxious type of hypersensivtive, overprotective, fanboy fuckwit on this planet. Your ridiculously possessive devotion to the RPG genre is so close to psychotic, it borders on evangelical.

It's not enough that you have to insist that every entry into your particular medium be scrutinized against your fanatically high standards, you actively attack anyone who doesn't share your self-centered belief in the TRUE interpretation of the form. You're the reason for the perception by 99.5% of the populace that people who play RPGs are pasty, basement-dwelling, social retards, because you lack the basic understanding that not everyone is going to latch on to your fucked-up videogame dogma. Is it really beyond your scope of comprehension that a human being might be able to appreciate a game for it's existence as entertainment, while at the same time possess the capacity to identify and understand the true works of art in the medium? Drinking the True Believer kool-aid and adopting some empirically unprovable measuring device by which to gauge your obsession doesn't make you special or smart. It makes you a pretentious, rigid asshole.

You're not fucking special. You're not entitled to a goddamn fucking thing. You may have some great ideas, but you spend so much time screaming at the top of your fucking lungs, that by the time you're done, no one else gives a shit, because they've written you off as an abrasive cunt and just want you to go away.

The saddest and most ironic thing about dickholes like you is that you kill what you love. Video games are an artistic medium, but they're also the means by which writers, programmers, testers, animators, and marketers make money for their families. Selling 200,000 units a year isn't going to get good games made. It's going to sink the fucking ship. The very fucking games you hate so vociferously give people with lots of money the confidence that smaller developing houses can put a modestly successful entry on the market. You're not interested in art for art's sake; you're interested in art for your ego's sake. You're so impossible to please that even if a developer got it right, it would sell about 65,000 copies. That would be just fine with you, because you'd still get to retain the exclusivity of your little club, but in two years, when the developer closes shop and all the employees get snatched up by bigger companies because they can't pay their fucking overhead, you'll have the fucking rocks to bitch about it.

The difference between you and I is that we're both hungry, and while it'd be nice to have the most delicious and exquisite meal that could be prepared by human hands, you'll settle for nothing less, while I'd be happy to have a sandwich. At the end of the day, I'm going to get my sandwich, and you'll just be a loud, elitist, self-righteous, and hungry, douchebag.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Video games.... they're also the means by which writers, programmers, testers, animators, and marketers make money for their families. Selling 200,000 units a year isn't going to get good games made. It's going to sink the fucking ship.
That is true. But why does every game have to be a multi million hit? I mean Bioware could do a real, oldschool RPG with a smaller budget after they cashed in on Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The company wouldn't go bankrupt.

The real problem is that all of the big companies are makeing shallow, action oriented RPGs, and the oldschool role playing games became extinct. The 2 types of RPGs could and should exist on the market in the same time.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The difference between you and I is that we're both hungry, and while it'd be nice to have the most delicious and exquisite meal that could be prepared by human hands, you'll settle for nothing less, while I'd be happy to have a sandwich. At the end of the day, I'm going to get my sandwich, and you'll just be a loud, elitist, self-righteous, and hungry, douchebag.

I'd settle for a sandwich with chocolate spread. That stuff on your sandwich? That's not chocolate.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Understand this:

The true difference here is that while we are some who prefer to have sex with beautiful females, you'll take it up the ass from a dude with an ugly moustache and say "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" Now, I can take it up the ass by the moustache-dude and be contend, sure, but once in a while I need a good, well-bred C-Cup to give me a blowjob that'll make the angels sing, just to take some of the pain away.

IF I want the well-bred C-Cup, I need to say so. I need to tell people that big dicks up my ass isn't ENOUGH! If I don't say that, they'll keep shoving that filthy moustache-dick into my rectum till I bleed.

My point?

I can play Mass Effect and enjoy it. Dragon Age too. Hell I love me some Baldur's Gate. But I sure as hell won't say please and thank you for those games. "I'll say: Alright, that was ok, now where's the real stuff?"

Conformative is what you motherfuckers are - you are CONTEND with mediocre. And it makes me fucking sick to my stomache that the critical gamers are shut out because of fuckheads like you who think any harsh criticism of a game is just nostalgia and unrealistic demands.

You say we can't have everything we shout for. I say "True! But we can damn well tell them what we want."

So fuck you, asshole, and your pretentiousness. "A good sandwich" my ass.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grunker said:
I can play Mass Effect and enjoy it. Dragon Age too. Hell I love me some Baldur's Gate. But I sure as hell won't say please and thank you for those games. "I'll say: Alright, that was ok, now where's the real stuff?"
WHAAAT?!!? :x

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
J_C said:
Grunker said:

Baldur's Gate is great. In fact I have a personal love for the game, as you'll see if you dick [/freudian slip] dig up that TOP10-RPG thread made a while ago. But from a critical perspective (either the "I love stats" or "C&C"-way of looking at it), it's not one of the greats.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Drinking the True Believer kool-aid and adopting some empirically unprovable measuring device by which to gauge your obsession doesn't make you special or smart. It makes you a pretentious, rigid asshole.

Lack of experience with Fallout (and its ilk) detected. "Empirically unprovable measuring device" my ass.

A sane person might think "in an argument, how much more of a provable measuring device can you get than an actual PRODUCT that you can run on your computer?".

Sadly, Fallout's depth works against it. It is a game that accomodates a variety of playstyles. So, if you play KOTOR like KOTOR, and Fallout like you played KOTOR, then you won't see much difference in depth between Fallout and KOTOR.

This makes it hard to prove anything to someone intent on proving that Fallout is as dumb as the "newgen" offerings. They'll play it dumb, and the game will happilly mirror their stupidity back at them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Grunker said:
J_C said:
Grunker said:

Baldur's Gate is great. In fact I have a personal love for the game, as you'll see if you dick [/freudian slip] dig up that TOP10-RPG thread made a while ago. But from a critical perspective (either the "I love stats" or "C&C"-way of looking at it), it's not one of the greats.
Sorry, misunderstood your comment than. :salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both of you are fucking retarded. All games are shit to pass the time while you wait to die. Doesn't matter if they're supposedly good or shit when you'll be taking a dirt nap in the end anyway and won't get to play Elder Scrolls 79 with its finally working Radiant AI.

Instead of vomiting on fucking forums use the time doing something fucking useful. No one gives a fuck about your views on the industry as we've all heard the same shit 1000 times before anyway.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
BROS FORUEMS R 4 GAYS GET A LIFE LOL

FYI, some of us ARE doing something useful (i.e. earning money at work) while posting on these forums at the same time.

And even if not - what are forums for, exactly? You don't like it, don't read it. By Jupiter's cock, I've seen XTREME EDGY wordvomit like yours a thousand times before, too.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was replying to your post. If it was a troll, and therefore you didn't really mean it, feel free to pat yourself on the back for being so ... clever? Whatever gets you off, I suppose.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course it was a troll dude, but it was actually directed at those newfags arguing. So I guess the joke is on me as the wrong person took the bait. Their butthurt levels were so high it would have been funny to take it up a notch.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
shihonage said:
Sadly, Fallout's depth works against it.

Fallout doesn't have any depth. This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Glow was pretty deep. You even need rope to reach it.
Oh... you talked about other deep? Sorry, you are wrong too. :M

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Darth Roxor said:
When I get a time machine, the first thing I'm gonna do is go back to the moment the term 'roleplaying' game is invented and murder the person doing it.

There isnt anything wrong with the name, its just "this name is similar to that name, hence this is that"

There is nothing confusing about the term RPG.

What goes into "Role", is the function to give quantifiable attributes to a character, so it defines challenges and possible interaction in the setting.

The whole point of the mecahnics is to not turn the game into a Mary sue wankfest.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Gaming isn't a primary need. Unless you're an addict, that is. Especially playing games from a specific broad genre. Most of turn-based gamers probably get their fix by playing turn-based wargames and roguelikes, so it's not like they are "hungry".
Another thing is that writing on internet forums is both an entertainment and a social activity and liking/disliking things is a good excuse to take part in that activity. Personally, I got bored with crusading about 2 years ago I find the /GD/ much more entertaining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom