Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Every time I replay this game I lose enthusiasm for it either after the Underdark or upon starting ToB.

Also the awful frame rate is really jarring these days because of how used I am to 120+ FPS.

If there was a mod that fixed the frame rate I would probably play it again

Change the frame rate to 40 in the settings (outside of the game). Much better.

Yosharian

Arcane
Every time I replay this game I lose enthusiasm for it either after the Underdark or upon starting ToB.

Also the awful frame rate is really jarring these days because of how used I am to 120+ FPS.

If there was a mod that fixed the frame rate I would probably play it again

Change the frame rate to 40 in the settings (outside of the game). Much better.
Oh yeah I'm familiar with that. I still find it obnoxious, although that does improve the experience a lot

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Been replaying Baldur's Gate 2 as a Kensai 9/Mage19 and I forgot just how insane Time Stop is. You can do pretty much everything. Cast spells(they will only affect enemies once the Time Stop ends),go berserk on enemies(with Improved Haste,Grandmastery and Dual wielding you will annihilate everything),buff yourself etc.
Endgame party is:
Jaheira
Keldorn
Sir Anomen
Imoen
and Sarevok once I go Throne of Bhaal,because he is awesome.

Taim

Educated
Been replaying Baldur's Gate 2 as a Kensai 9/Mage19 and I forgot just how insane Time Stop is. You can do pretty much everything. Cast spells(they will only affect enemies once the Time Stop ends),go berserk on enemies(with Improved Haste,Grandmastery and Dual wielding you will annihilate everything),buff yourself etc.
Endgame party is:
Jaheira
Keldorn
Sir Anomen
Imoen
You playing with any mods?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Withouth cranked up SCS no wonder dude is cutting through everything like a butter, especially having a full party on top of playing kensage.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Endgame party is:
Jaheira
Keldorn
Sir Anomen
Imoen
You playing with any mods?
Bg2 Fixpack. Tweaks Anthology. aTweaks(including Improved Fiends and Improved Undead - I highly recommend those two,it makes demons,devils and undead more smart and powerful,with their original stats and abilities from P&P). P&P Celestials.
That's it.
Withouth cranked up SCS no wonder dude is cutting through everything like a butter, especially having a full party on top of playing kensage.
Yeah,well,fuck SCS. The whole prebuff like a maniac for every fucking fight in the game and waste 10 minutes merely to dispel every spellcaster is just not my thing. SCS can be pretty good,but I am not a fan of increasing the difficulty of the game by merely buffing up spellcasters to insane levels. Prebuff,prebuff,debuff. There. I summed SCS.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EE new classes are not balanced for vanilla, that's not surprising. One of the easiest solo experiences you can get in gaming in general. Had similar situation in IWD EE, also with Kensai, huh.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I also forgot to mention that I play the original Shadows of Amn+Throne of Bhaal(plus the mods and fixes I just listed above),because I detest Beamdog.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah,well,fuck SCS. The whole prebuff like a maniac for every fucking fight in the game and waste 10 minutes merely to dispel every spellcaster is just not my thing. SCS can be pretty good,but I am not a fan of increasing the difficulty of the game by merely buffing up spellcasters to insane levels. Prebuff,prebuff,debuff. There. I summed SCS.

Dude, SCS is highly customizable - when it comes to mobs prebuffing, there are several different options. What's more, SCS has shitload of other options, not to mention that it increases enemies AI, so even if you turn the prebuffing down completely, you will still get more challenging and satisfying playthrough.

Vanilla BG2 is extremely easy, due to enemy mages not using enough protection. You can beat almost every mage just by having Breach to get rid of PfMW - there's no need of stripping down spell protections, since the original mages' AI was almost never using those.

But if you want to play on story-mode that's your call.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EE new classes are not balanced for vanilla, that's not surprising. One of the easiest solo experiences you can get in gaming in general. Had similar situation in IWD EE, also with Kensai, huh.
EE new classes like kensai?
crap, I'm mixing things
Was doing Icewind Dale EE solo Kensai playthrough and it was easy, saw the poster flying through Baldur's Gate 2 with it and somehow it... "glued".

A horse of course

Someone poasted this on one of my yuutuubs:
"How does one even get the installer to function on Windows 10? I'm able to get BG2 and Icewind Dale2 to install just fine, and I want the original experience, so to speak, but the installer just crashes short after starting."

Anyone know anything abutt this? I've never had any such problems with the GoG or retail CD.

edit: this is for BG1

Last edited by a moderator:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
So when does Baldur's Gate get the Age of Empires definitive edition treatment?

maxresdefault.jpg
66478_01_age-empires-ii-definitive-edition-e3-demo_full.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
I like the older top picture better, what the units are and who they belong to is much clearer.
The one on the right might look better, but it does not make for a better representation of the game.

Self-Ejected

NIGERundayoHater

Self-Ejected
"Grug like hitting things. Silly sissy boy casts many many fansy things and now Grug can't hit things. Grug sad. Grug uninstall SCS because sissy boys are supposed to die from Grug and not kill Grug".

Imagine thinking that casters are supposed to be retarded enough to leave their house without a billion different protections.

Also you don't need to buff the shit out of yourself to win most fights in SCS, it ain't Owlcat's statbloat autistm. If a mage casts protection from magical weapons, you equip your non-magical weapons because you're not retarded and just finish him off like that. If a mage casts mantle, you can use your mage to cast a spell from a spellschool he currently has no protection against. If a mage is a lich that is immune to spells below level 6 AND is immune to non-magical weapons, you send in a cleric who can cast level 6 anti-undead bolts that go through his protections anyway. Shit if you hate dispelling that much stack resistances and soak up the bullshit till the protections run their course since none of them last that long, or send waves upon waves of summons to exhaust the death spells.

There are very few fights that require you to buff the shit out of yourself or to insta dispell all mage protections, and none of them were ever witnessed by you because with that kind of argumentation I doubt that your inner Grug could play the game long enough to ever witness them.

"But muh fun"
Fuck your fun.

I like the older top picture better, what the units are and who they belong to is much clearer.
The one on the right might look better, but it does not make for a better representation of the game.
The remaster screenshot of the docks only looks that way because the team color is brown. Without another team visible, the distinction isn't obvious. If you look at the lower left picture with the military units in blue, it's entirely distinct and readable. The remaster graphics are far better.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Imagine taking a year old account with a poorly spelled name and 5 posts seriously.
I'll be honest, I thought it was wong_carlo having another enlightened moment, though I was confused by seeing a post in the rpg section. Thank you for preventing me from getting baited :hug:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"Grug like hitting things. Silly sissy boy casts many many fansy things and now Grug can't hit things. Grug sad. Grug uninstall SCS because sissy boys are supposed to die from Grug and not kill Grug".

Imagine thinking that casters are supposed to be retarded enough to leave their house without a billion different protections.

Also you don't need to buff the shit out of yourself to win most fights in SCS, it ain't Owlcat's statbloat autistm. If a mage casts protection from magical weapons, you equip your non-magical weapons because you're not retarded and just finish him off like that. If a mage casts mantle, you can use your mage to cast a spell from a spellschool he currently has no protection against. If a mage is a lich that is immune to spells below level 6 AND is immune to non-magical weapons, you send in a cleric who can cast level 6 anti-undead bolts that go through his protections anyway. Shit if you hate dispelling that much stack resistances and soak up the bullshit till the protections run their course since none of them last that long, or send waves upon waves of summons to exhaust the death spells.

There are very few fights that require you to buff the shit out of yourself or to insta dispell all mage protections, and none of them were ever witnessed by you because with that kind of argumentation I doubt that your inner Grug could play the game long enough to ever witness them.

"But muh fun"
Fuck your fun.
Ok nigga.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
TOB is not great, but playing on story mode (on an already easy game), would really kill even the base game for me.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Most of the criticism of PoE stems from it being a bait-and-switch. If you go into it expecting more BG you end up having a bad time. Taken on its own merits it's decent. You will have to skip through a lot of text though.

....which merits?

Johannes

Arcane
Lol, just recruited Dorn for the first time, after getting back from the Underdark. First thing after joining, he bitches at me for banging the drow princess back in Ust-Natha. Firstly, how do you know this, and secondly, why the fuck do you care, faggot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom