Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People have tried to buy the IP from NCSoft too, but apparently they are making a mobile game out of it so they won't budge.
At least the source code was shared for at least 300 people, so it's still possible that people will put up a private server in Russia or some place else where you might as well wipe your ass with a DMCA takedown request.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Why can't they just release the sources with everyone? Just upload it on piratebay. Someone would host it safe from NCSoft's interference.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Okay this is just getting weird.

CoH discord admin goes dark, a random Reddit thread appears saying he basically pussied out, and now the discord server updates are saying there might still be hope.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/bg6a6y/the_future_of_score/elirsoe/

Not too sure what to think at the moment.

Seems like this admin was the one hosting the server and by all appearances no legal action is forthcoming. So, maybe we will still be live on the 27th.

mogwaimon

Magister
it amazes me how so many people just keep making the same mistakes without learning a thing. any situation like this where legal action is a possibility and you've got a romhack, fangame, source code release, IP-infringing mod, whatever it is...just release it anonymously. turning it into some event where kotaku and other mainstream outlets are picking it up is just C&D bait, but no one learns from the dozens of other examples out there.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Yup, pretty much confirmed it was just a freak out by the server-holder. Shouldn't have offered in the first place since the snowball effect of the server's growth was a guarantee.

As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything. There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called. We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me. We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately. The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races. We will also be futureproofing future development to make sure this kind of clusterfuck will never happen again.

Codex Year of the Donut
it amazes me how so many people just keep making the same mistakes without learning a thing. any situation like this where legal action is a possibility and you've got a romhack, fangame, source code release, IP-infringing mod, whatever it is...just release it anonymously. turning it into some event where kotaku and other mainstream outlets are picking it up is just C&D bait, but no one learns from the dozens of other examples out there.
They want the recognition for being the ones to do it.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh for the love of God, they should just publish the source code, map data and unit data for the same version publicly. These antsy tranny hosting fucks can't run shit.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So from what I understand the DMCA was fake. I've seen screenshots floating around /vg/ that allege Leandro (the guy who was running the secret private CoX server) sent the fake DMCA and encouraged one of the admins to scrub the public server because "it was getting out of control" or something like that. He's also resisted releasing the i25 source (i25 being what they refer to their updated version of the server code from their super sekret clubhouse server) so other people can host their own servers and wants to be involved in any project hosting a CoX private server using that code. Fortunately someone leaked the i25 server binaries and mission/npc data so that stuff is out there for other people to host, and apparently Leandro has come out against that too.

The i24 code (which is the leaked server code from the game when it was shut down) is being worked on by an army of autists to get it into a state where it can be run as a deployable private server solution. It needs to be updated to run on modern servers and to read the i25 mission/npc data which is apparently incompatible, but going forward private servers will probably be based on the i24 code once that gets enough development. There is basically no chance NCSoft is going to be able to stop this now. It's on torrent sites and has been distributed all over the place. I doubt they're even going to bother to try, except to maybe target large private servers.

Lhynn

Arcane
First part of the post is bullshit, the guy Leo is getting a TON of hate. Mostly because he sat on the data for 6 years and it could have been 6 more if nobody spoke, so they are trying to destroy him.

Truth is theres a public server right now, and Leo was the one that provided all the data. Hes also helping the discord team set up their own server and providing all the data for it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who knows. I think it's been pretty much confirmed the DMCA was fake, and Leandro was a cunt for holding on to this shit for 7 years and keeping it secret, and he's still a cunt for not releasing the source, so I don't really have any sympathy for any hate he's getting. "Muh death threats" and all that.

Norfleet

See, this is because people are stupid. They do dumb shit, like putting their names and identities out there. I've been the target of dubious legal action before. You know what happened? They couldn't even find anything to stick it on, because I DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST. Eventually they just fucking gave up because their legal basis for pursuing any action at all wasn't enough to justify the attempt anymore since they couldn't target me specifically.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Does this have "City of Villains" or its "classes?" Those Rogue ones really do feel like unique playstyles.

Xor

Arcane
Does this have "City of Villains" or its "classes?" Those Rogue ones really do feel like unique playstyles.
The whole game had been merged into one amorphous blob for a long time even before it shut down, mostly as a consequence of the F2P switch IIRC. You could pick any hero or villain class and start as either a hero or a villain with them. So yes, it has the CoV stuff. I didn't try it on the test server beyond just making a villain and logging in with him but it's definitely there.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Yeah, city of villains is in there and it's where I spend most of my time. This is one of the few worthwhile MMO's fuck off. And this server probably won't get a wipe judging from their own announcements, for as long as it's up they'll be there and it sounds like they may make it permanent.

Lhynn

Arcane
You know, when shit gets fixed and the server stops falling, maybe we should totally assemble a Codex Team

So... super-heroes or super-villains?
Largely doesnt matter, you can swich aligments by doing missions. I kinda like that system tbh.

But for starters? hero areas seem more populated, meaning easier to find a team and level.

Xor

Arcane
This is one of the few worthwhile MMO's fuck off
There's a reason CoX still has a diehard, dedicated fanbase 7 years after the game died that has been working to resurrect the game through various means since then. It's pretty much unique in terms of MMOs and the community was really something special back in the day. Hopefully it can be again even in the age of SJWs and cucks.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I rememeber enjoying the original back in the day, had an illusionist/telekinetics controller that was fun before they (rightfully) nerfed the ever loving shit out of his main skill. The movement skills were just plain fun, the mechanics were quite varied (you can defend via huge health pools, resistances, avoidance, massive regen, shields or various combinations of the above, unlike most games where it's all about one stat) and the appearance customization was fantastic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom