Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Karmapowered

Augur
Having a blast with Tome4 so far :

The first levels seemed easy to me (I am level 15 so far), and that might put some people off (despite the usual rogue-like permadeath feature), but I hear it gets quite a bit more challenging later on.

Also, it can be user-modded, and has a good looking and functional UI for once.

It comes as heartily recommended, if for some reason you haven't played it yet.

Renegen

Arcane
Don't know why but no one has mentioned Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and its sequel Weird Worlds: Return To Infinite Space. Wiki says they're both "hybrid roguelike", so maybe can be added to the list? BTW, has anyone played them and can say if they're any good?
I've played them, meh. They're very short games, 20 minutes or so and you usually don't die.

MisterStone

Arcane
This one looks interesting: a roguelike-like where you can co-op. Thoughts?

http://www.robotloveskitty.com/LoD/
I'd sure like to play this...

I know this is heresy, but I hope they eventually release this for console markets, because otherwise I doubt I will be able to get anyone to play it with me in Co-op. I mean, selling people on a game with permadeath is going to be hard enough without having to get everyone to crowd around a computer...

Also, I don't have controllers for my PC. Guess I'm just not cool like that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Will probably happen for the sequel. Tbh I don't really care about the co-op too much, I just love this style of game and want to see lots more.

I know this is heresy, but I hope they eventually release this for console markets, because otherwise I doubt I will be able to get anyone to play it with me in Co-op. I mean, selling people on a game with permadeath is going to be hard enough without having to get everyone to crowd around a computer...

Also, I don't have controllers for my PC. Guess I'm just not cool like that.

Coming soon for Mac, Windows, Linux, OUYA and Android

:troll:

Couch coop is pretty fun and has easily taken bad games from boring to fun, I'd definitely like more games for it.

MisterStone

Arcane

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I don't think this one's been mentioned: Ultima Ratio Regnum

from the site:

Ultima Ratio Regum is a middle-ground between roguelikes, RPGs and strategy games. It has no fantasy elements and seeks instead to be closer to a realistic history simulator, and a strategy/4x game which just happens to be in ASCII. Combat is rare and deadly – whilst these mechanics are modeled in detail, exploration, trade and diplomacy factors will have just as much effort put into them.

URR aims to eventually be a fusion of roguelike and strategy genres – rather than a strategy game where you command with omniscience (even in ancient eras), you instead command as an individual character also in the game. Orders must be issued in person; you can lose contact with distant armies; but the same mechanics affect the AI players who also lack omniscience and depend upon the knowledge of situations they themselves can garner.

Army Command: Unlike other roguelikes, URR has a major strategic military focus. You will be able to serve in, or command, military forces numbering in the hundreds, ranging from pikemen to siege weapons, and cavalry to archers. Commanding a squad or an army will have a number of complex options, and these military mechanics will influence global politics, territory, and military campaigns.
Art Generation: Ultima Ratio Regum will feature significant amounts of complex generative graphics, ranging from planetary atmospheres to ancient temple murals, landscapes to military rankings, and from sword designs to family coats of arms. The game aims to explore what can be done with ASCII graphics to detail and explore a deep generated world.
Ancient Exploration: Set in the 16th/17th century, the game contains a number of relics of earlier civilizations, which can be explored. These temples and tombs will be full of murals generated according to ancient myths (see the art generation objective), but these murals serve not just an aesthetic purpose – they will give clues to the locations of artefacts, or catacombs containing great wealth. They will also contain procedurally-generated puzzles, mazes, and other challenges.

Navy: URR aims to feature a lot of naval mechanics, including exploration, trade, and ship-to-ship combat, involving both boarding and gun batteries. Ships will take up a large number of squares, and ship-to-ship combat will take place involving potential fleets of vessels. Piracy and customs will also be included, and you will be able to both serve on, or lead, a ship, or a fleet.
Linguistics: Different civilizations – ancient and contemporary – will have different languages you may not necessarily be able to speak at the start of the game. Ancient languages can be learnt to give greater insight into murals or ancient texts, whilst contemporary languages enable you to communicate beyond your empire’s boundaries, trade with others, and handle yourself in other empires.
Multi-Square Units: Ultima Ratio Regum will include a large number of units that span many squares, a significant break from the rogulike norm of one-square-per-unit. Catapults, ballistas and other siege weapons take up around 5×5 squares and behave accordingly, whilst ships range from around that size up to filling half the screen.

The graphics also look amazing for an ASCII:
New-World.png

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So ADOM (the first one, not the sequel) apparently got a kickstarter campaign off half a year ago and resumed development. Though apparently he's not planning on doing more prereleases than he did already, so I'm sketchy on my hopes that I'll ever see the finished product, given that he's got a shitton of content and a few thousand bugs to sort out. Still, if you like ADOM, there's a newer version now with some of the bugs worked out. (Though fucking uberjackals are still in the public version, bastard left them in until a later version.)
Download:
http://www.ancardia.com/download.html
Changelog:
http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html

MisterStone

Arcane
I don't think this one's been mentioned: Ultima Ratio Regnum

from the site:

Ultima Ratio Regum is a middle-ground between roguelikes, RPGs and strategy games. It has no fantasy elements and seeks instead to be closer to a realistic history simulator, and a strategy/4x game which just happens to be in ASCII. Combat is rare and deadly – whilst these mechanics are modeled in detail, exploration, trade and diplomacy factors will have just as much effort put into them.

URR aims to eventually be a fusion of roguelike and strategy genres – rather than a strategy game where you command with omniscience (even in ancient eras), you instead command as an individual character also in the game. Orders must be issued in person; you can lose contact with distant armies; but the same mechanics affect the AI players who also lack omniscience and depend upon the knowledge of situations they themselves can garner.

This sounds cool. What state of development is it in right now? Is it fun to play already? Kudos to the dev. for daring to make such an ambitious game. I wonder if Dwarf Fortress helped inspire this project.

NewPic3.png

that's some goddam sweet ascii btw :thumbsup:

granit

Scholar
Here is a sweet little roguelike that was released for Mac Os in 1986: Dungeons of Doom (shareware title) also known as The Dungeon Revealed (full version). A simple but greatly playable roguelike with a neat monochrome tile set, seven classes, cursed items, food etc. If you're lucky you can find a scroll of wish.
dungdoom.gif

I remember fondly playing this as a child on a Mac Plus. I recommend a try if you enjoy roguelikes, it runs well under emulated Mac Os 6.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Sword of the Stars: The Pit is highly goddamn addictive. I have damn near 150 hours clocked on this one. Sure, it may look a wee bit cartoonish but the game is hellacioulsy fun. It's fully turn-based, has tons of unlockable crafting recipes, is very unforgiving even on Normal.

I highly recommend this game if you like roguelikes :D.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Of course I have. Was there ever any doubt about it?

Seriously though, I think I have to try this new TOME sometimes. I'm still playing the older versions.

Tommers

Augur
I can't stop playing TOME.

I wrote something about it a month ago... and haven't stopped playing since. I'm now sat at work looking at my character summaries on the database and turning over ideas for new ones in my head. How long does this last for? I need to get my life back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom