Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you can't enjoy art made by fascists than there is something wrong with you.

On the contrary - art is inextricably linked with a personality of one thos made that art, so that personality is always draught through that art, that's why we can always see and feel "this film/cartoon is gay-ish" etc.
These people can't make good things, their nature always will be within of what they create.

Brickfrog

Learned
If you can't enjoy art made by fascists than there is something wrong with you.

On the contrary - art is inextricably linked with a personality of one thos made that art, so that personality is always draught through that art, that's why we can always see and feel "this film/cartoon is gay-ish" etc.
These people can't make good things, their nature always will be within of what they create.
The gay fascist game is good tho.

Metronome

Learned
Still grinding in Moria here. Playing this game is kind of like fishing. Except instead of a lake it's a sleeping dragon, and instead of fish it's loot, and instead of a fishing pole it's a wand of cloning. It's mostly a patience game at this point.

Making some decent progress. I've made a few new discoveries too. Usually the bad kind. I've managed to find a holy avenger weapon, but it's just a crummy dagger. It gets FIVE hits while worn though, which is a small consolation. I still prefer to use a defender bastard sword for it's stealth bonus in most situations. AC is also much more important in Moria than Angband, since most combat revolves around physical damage. Ancient dragons will do plenty in melee even with phenomenal AC. And really, only dragons are a threat anymore. Those that breath gas are a constant worry. There are also the occasional enemies that disenchant equipment. But those can't kill me, they just make me very annoyed.

My cloning method is working very well. I wonder if you could do something similar in Angband? You just need an extra source of stealth to break the sleep timer for enemies. Dragons almost never wake up. I've also found that you can camp indefinitely to restock shops if you wear an amulet of slow digestion. This has been game changing for enchanting armor, buying potions, and replenishing identification scrolls. I'm never want for any of these things. Here are a few more screenshots of loot piles I've made by cloning sleeping dragons. These are HUGE for this game. First one was from young-multi hued. The second is from mature white. Young-multi hued dragons just below level 40 are excellent for getting stat potion drops. Just be very careful if you have two awake at once and watch out for gas as usual. They can breath it at any time for upwards of 100 or so damage if at full health.

lb56SHs.png

Qrx9SGq.png
Here is a look at my character's stats at the moment.

Code:
  Name   : Grimblo         Age         :  27      Strength     : 18/60
  Race   : Halfling        Height      :  37      Intelligence : 18/100
  Sex    : Male            Weight      :  57      Wisdom       : 18/77
  Class  : Rogue           Social Class:  69      Dexterity    : 18/100
  Title  : Thief (9th)                            Constitution : 18/100
                                                  Charisma     : 18/84

+ To Hit    :    12     Level      :    33     Max Hit Points :   252
  + To Damage :    11     Experience :269169     Cur Hit Points :   252
  + To AC     :    45     Gold       :169192     Max Mana       :    41
    Total AC  :    84                            Cur Mana       :    36

(Miscellaneous Abilities)
  Fighting    : Superb   Stealth     : Superb  Perception  : Superb  
  Throw/Bows  : Superb   Disarming   : Superb  Searching   : Excellent
  Saving Throw: Superb   Magic Device: Superb  Infra-Vision: 60 feet

Character Background
You are one of several children of a Halfling Warrior.  You are a    
credit to the family.  You have green eyes, straight red hair, and a
fair complexion.                                                    

[Character's Equipment List]
  a) You are wielding   : a Bastard Sword (+9,+8) [+10] (DF).
  b) Worn on head       : an Iron Helm [5,+4] of Infra-Vision (+2).
  c) Worn around neck   : a Bone Amulet of the Magi [+3].
  d) Worn on body       : Full Plate Armor [25,+2] (RC).
  e) Worn on shield arm : a Small Metal Shield [3,+4] (RL).
  f) Worn on hands      : a Set of Gauntlets [2,+4] of Free Action.
  g) Left  ring finger  : a Sphalerite Ring of Resist Fire.
  h) Worn on feet       : a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+4].
  i) Worn about body    : a Cloak [1,+9] of Protection.
  j) Light source is    : a Brass Lantern with 14724 turns of light.
  k) Secondary weapon: a Dagger (Misericorde) (+8,+6) [+3] (HA) (+4 to STR).

[General Inventory List]
a) a Book of Magic Spells [Beginners-Magik].
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Magik I].
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Magik II].
d) 7 Rations of Food.
e) 7 Flasks of oil.
f) 4 Light Blue Potions of Resist Heat.
g) 34 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds.
h) 2 Green Potions of Haste Self.
i) 12 Scrolls of Word-of-Recall.
j) 12 Scrolls of Phase Door.
k) 8 Scrolls Titled "fid xdalf" of Teleport Level.
l) 3 Scrolls Titled "wun mungmik" of Genocide.
m) 30 Scrolls of Identify.
n) a Copper Wand of Drain Life (+6 charges).
o) a Silver-Plated Wand of Clone Monster (+36 charges).
p) a Zebra wood Staff of Teleportation (+5 charges).
q) a Redwood Amulet of Slow Digestion.
r) a Large Metal Shield [5,+4].
s) an Orcish Pick (+5) (+0,+0).

You might notice my strength has gone down compared to the screenshots. Reason why is the dagger adds 40 points if I equip it, bringing my strength to 18/100. Only problem is that this changes the base stat itself. Anything above the maximum 18/100 just gets cut off. So when you remove the dagger... There goes the difference. I might end up dumping this one since I need to swap with the defender frequently. The stealth bonus is no joke. My grinding method depends on it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The gay fascist game is good tho.

Last time I abandoned it happen when I relized I have no idea about the point where I should stop grinding my stats with Earth Eaters nectare.
Where is that point? Is it enough? Why it is? I relized I have no vizible goal, and decided to have timeout, otherwise it resembles that anecdote about programmer and shampoo.

I wonder if you could do something similar in Angband?

I posted here I think method I have read about - called by author as alembic.
I searched a bit - it seems this stuff gone from internet, as it was some kind of lj post or such in Russian internet.
Method is this - you get some dragon that could summon other dragons in a room with 1 exit, that is maximally square, or close to it or to curcle, then probably - not sure - you cast some magic to sea that level - does Andband have this magic?
Then you attack that dragon, he start to summon other dragons, and somehow start to attack each other.
Then you use ghost form or something like that, and run to the wall.
Dragons there keep killing each other, dragon keep summoning them, summoned dragons do drop loot.
After some time you enter the room, avd there are tons of epic loot.
Kudos-copyright to some unknown Russian gamer...

Last edited:

Metronome

Learned
I posted here I think method I have read about - called by author as alembic.
I searched a bit - it seems this stuff gone from internet, as it was some kind of lj post or such in Russian internet.
Method is this - you get some dragon that could summon other dragons in a room with 1 exit, that is maximally square, or close to it or to curcle, then probably - not sure - you cast some magic to sea that level - does Andband have this magic?
Then you attack that dragon, he start to summon other dragons, and somehow start to attack each other.
Then you use ghost form or something like that, and run to the wall.
Dragons there keep killing each other, dragon keep summoning them, summoned dragons do drop loot.
After some time you enter the room, avd there are tons of epic loot.
Kudos-copyright to some unknown Russian gamer...
It sounds like you get one of the higher tier wyrms to summon ancient dragons. You stand there and let them breath on you. When they breath, other dragons get hit causing them to become hostile to each other. The dragons also attack each other by summoning other dragons. Then you go back and wait for loot to drop. I can't remember if vanilla Angband has in-fighting between monsters. Could it be another variant?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think it was vanilla yeah.
You need a room that is as close to a circle of square as possible I remmember.
And you should hide in the wall, though I remmeebr there were some dragons that could follow you there, but that's relatively rare.
Author is a genius.

Last edited:

PapaPetro

You're pretty much only left with artifacts since the D breaths will melt everything on the ground.
There's a few Ds to watch out for like the Death Drakes and the Ethereal Dragons that can pass through walls.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Holy fuck Cataclysm DDA is amazing. I'm playing Stardew Valley by day in my cozy cabin and butchering hordes of Zs in town raids by night. I completely cleared the town next to my cabin and made my survivor suit, a proper sword and have some good guns, though ammo is lacking. Food is also sorted between setting up a charcoal smoker and realizing that pine nuts are ridiculously nutritious and apparently you can live on a just a few handfuls a day. Also have a small field going. Just found a Humvee randomly parked next to a science lab near a four house town. Gonna set it up with a kitchen unit and a bed and go on a expedition to find MOAR AMMO and hopefully a proper welder so I can start turning it into a proper murder wagon.

I also found a horse farm earlier, tamed one and built a war chariot. Unfortunately it was eaten by Zs during the test run. A horse is still quite nice for hunting and/or larping as a gunslinger although the game has a really low weight limit for mounting.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm also doing a homesteading run in CDDA. Trying farming for the first time, have no idea how long it takes for crops to bloom, or seasonal effects on the process. Just had to build a proper smoking rack after I killed a pit bull, and a moose that was trying to attack me after I tried to help it fight a zombie soldier. The charcoal smoker appliance was just not going to cut it since I'd have to wait in place for the smoking process, each piece taking an hour. And with 30+ pieces of meat...

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Dude fuck the moose. It's worse than the Zs. The wiki says it varies but should take around two months for crops.

By the way I hope you know about the zones feature (Y button). It automates farming and loot sorting.

Machocruz

Arcane
Fortunately the moose was on 1 health bar after dealing with the zombie soldier. One shot from my AR-15 did the rest.

Knew about the zone sorting feature, but didn't know it handled farming. Is there a way to automate hoeing the ground? That's the most tedious part

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
What tileset are you all using? There used to be a good one with the default version, but now there's a new on that isn't as good.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Knew about the zone sorting feature, but didn't know it handled farming. Is there a way to automate hoeing the ground? That's the most tedious part
Yeah, you designate a plot and choose a plant from the seeds you have. Then it auto-hoes and plants.
What tileset are you all using? There used to be a good one with the default version, but now there's a new on that isn't as good.
Haven't messed with it yet. I find the default adequate.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah, you designate a plot and choose a plant from the seeds you have. Then it auto-hoes and plants.
Yeah just played around with it. Had to watch a video to find out you have to press Shift-O to start the process. Still had tons of seeds laying around that I didn't want to plant manually. This shit is so sick!

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Russian guy, appear in the thread of CDDA on 2ch.
I didn't play myself anymore, but watch streams, where guy jorney from a winter start, not using any cars or their parts he didn't built, city size is 0 - to a steam engines and wooden boats, or electric motors if he found ship wreck and thus lead. If interested, may put a link.

PrettyDeadman

I didn't play myself anymore, but watch streams, where guy jorney from a winter start, not using any cars or their parts he didn't built, city size is 0 - to a steam engines and wooden boats, or electric motors if he found ship wreck and thus lead. If interested, may put a link.
This does sound very interesting. Please post a link.

Every time I go back to Cataclysm, I am reminded that the "Auto inventory letters" feature is still broken for the third year in a row, and that my shitbox of a computer is cursed to the point where compiling the source code without any changes (or with the changes that "fix" it) causes the game to somehow run 10x times worse.
:negative:

hackncrazy

Savant
After years of tries in Nethack (there's a least a couple of weeks per year that I get real psycho about it) I finally got the Amulet Of Yendor.

And died on the ascension because I got cocky.

I don't think I'll ever play this again.

PrettyDeadman

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

This does sound very interesting. Please post a link.

https://www.twitch.tv/ouroboroses/videos
Only last video on CDDA remained, but you still could watch it.
It was hilarous when his @ was freezing to death, and warmed up himself with little forest fire...
Have to wait for new videos for CDDA.

Metronome

Learned
dnAeQV7.png

Just beat Moria a little while ago.
My guy's final stats before fighting the Balrog:
Code:
  Name  :Grimblo                    Age         :  27     Strength     :18/100
  Race  :Halfling                   Height      :  37     Intelligence :18/100
  Sex   :Male                       Weight      :  57     Wisdom       :18/100
  Class :Rogue                      Social Class:  69     Dexterity    :18/100
  Title :Assassin                                         Constitution :18/100
                                                          Charisma     :18/100 

+ To Hit    :    21     Level      :    38     Max Hit Points :   406
  + To Damage :    22     Experience :2366991    Cur Hit Points :   406
  + To AC     :    52     Gold       :888226     Max Mana       :   150
    Total AC  :    91                            Cur Mana       :   150 

(Miscellaneous Abilities)
  Fighting    : Superb      Stealth     : Superb      Perception  : Superb     
  Throw/Bows  : Superb      Disarming   : Superb      Searching   : Excellent  
  Saving Throw: Superb      Magic Device: Superb      Infra-Vision: 60 feet   

Character Background
You are one of several children of a Halfling Warrior.  You are a       
credit to the family.  You have green eyes, straight red hair, and a   
fair complexion.                                                                                                                              

[Character's Equipment List]
  a) You are wielding   : a Bastard Sword (+10,+10) [+10] (DF).
  b) Worn on head       : an Iron Helm [5,+6] of Infra-Vision (+2).
  c) Worn around neck   : a Bone Amulet of the Magi [+3].
  d) Worn on body       : Full Plate Armor [25,+5] (RC).
  e) Worn on shield arm : a Medium Metal Shield [4,+6] (RL).
  f) Worn on hands      : a Set of Gauntlets [2,+6] of Slaying (+4,+3).
  g) Right ring finger  : a Calcite Ring of Slaying (+1,+3).
  h) Left  ring finger  : a Sphalerite Ring of Resist Fire.
  i) Worn on feet       : a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2,+5] of Speed.
  j) Worn about body    : a Cloak [1,+6] of Protection.
  k) Light source is    : a Brass Lantern with 11002 turns of light.
  l) Secondary weapon   : a Two-Handed Sword (No-Dachi) (+10,+10) (SE). 

[General Inventory List]
a) 4 Book of Magic Spells [Beginners-Magik].
b) 4 Book of Magic Spells [Magik I].
c) 4 Book of Magic Spells [Magik II].
d) 5 Rations of Food.
e) 7 Flasks of oil.
f) 17 Light Blue Potions of Resist Heat.
g) 12 Misty Potions of Super Heroism.
h) 9 Turquoise Potions of Invulnerability.
i) 59 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds.
j) 17 Green Potions of Haste Self.
k) 16 Violet Potions of Healing.
l) 13 Scrolls of Word-of-Recall.
m) 13 Scrolls Titled "fid xdalf" of Teleport Level.
n) 8 Scrolls Titled "wun mungmik" of Genocide.
o) a Staff of Detect Invisible (+19 charges).
p) an Amulet of Slow Digestion.
q) a Silver Crown [0,+1] of the Magi (+2).
Took me a few ventures into the Balrog's level to actually find it. The thing does not always spawn. I also switched that staff of detect invisible for some scrolls of detect invisible. Finding the Balrog was the only tense part. The fight itself was very simple. It snuck up on me around a corner when I entered a room and did a little damage in melee, but I drank my invulnerability potions immediately after that. I drank those 9 potions and I beat it up while it stood in one place. The No-Dachi did a good job.

I have some very mixed feelings about it in the end. I've noticed that from a lot of people who have played it. Old game was a lot of fun somehow. But the grinding is ungodly, even with tricks, no game I've played is worse. TOME2 is in second place in regards to this. But figuring out a method to bypass most of it on my own was entertaining. So it wasn't such a bad thing in the end. I guess I was lucky enough. Really good gameplay fundamentally if not for that. I think priorities of the developer and players were different than my own when this was made. With some modifications I bet it could impress a modern audience.

Here are the notes I kept while playing if anyone else is stupid enough to attempt this. I made a few modifications after winning, to be more useful, but for the most part this is what I followed. I recommend anyone who is attempting a difficult roguelike to plan their run ahead on paper or in a text file. It almost always brings me success.
Code:
(For Version 4.873)

----------------
Moria techniques
----------------

1 - Vacation - Resting on a dungeon level for 9999 turns multiple times to restock shops (32767 is max)
        (Amulet of slow digestion stops hunger here. Also beware, as some equipment increases hunger, that may be why your character ends up weak.)

2 - Perfect stealth - If you play as the most stealthy race/class combination (Rogue hobbit) and wear any item that grants stealth (or otherwise obtain VERY high stealth)
        then you can wait around some monsters, like dragons, forever without waking them up. Just be careful of monsters who spawn later while on a level, as those are
        created awake. If you pass through a level quickly, this is usually not a problem.

3 - Sleep clones - Getting perfect stealth and then cloning sleeping monsters to grind items and loot. Cloning does not wake monsters.
        (You will need exceptional stealth for this. A hobbit rogue with an extra stealth from an item is best. Dragons are good targets.)

4 - Grind spots - Grind on levels 25-39 for stat potions, grind on 40 for invincibility potions.
        (Stat potions are still common drops past level 25, but do not go to 40 or other potions will also spawn.)

5 - Fast stat capping - Lower your stats using an item while you are at around 18/90 points. A cursed ring works well here. Drink a stat potion.
        This will bypass the slow progress when your stats are very high and save you a lot of time. You can go from 18/90 to 18/100 with only one or two potions.

6 - Grape Jelly trick - When you gain constitution or inteligence in Moria your HP and MP are not automatically reset.
        In order to get the most out of a high constitution or intelegence you should allow a monster to drain your levels away.
        After this drink a few potions of restore life and you will have your HP and MP brought up to where they should be according to your current stats.

7 - Gamble with your life - If you have an exceptionally high hitdie(at least 1d16 (base) + 4 (from perfect con) recommended ) you can increase your HP beyond
        normal limits by attempting the Grape Jelly Trick multiple times. Each time you lose levels, the game rolls a straight d20 to determine how much HP
        you lose. If you lose less than you gain when you increase your levels, you can end up with a surplus of points. Characters with lower hit-dies can also
        increase their HP permenently, but it is risky. Mages or very frail combinations of race/class should avoid attempting this entirely. You could theoretically
        make a character strong enough to survive a direct blast of gas from an ancient multi-hued dragon with this!

----------------
      Plan
----------------

1.Create a hobbit rogue
2.Powerdrive to level 25-39 (deeper is better)
3.Grind for stat potions there until maxed out
4.Carry on to level 40
5.Grind for about 10 invincibility potions (deeper is better?)
6.Travel to level 48
7.Grind for optimal equipment and get to around level 35
8.Travel to level 50
9.Defeat the Balrog and win
    Try to have at least base 2 speed + 1 from haste before entering the level
    Dump all wands and staffs before entering level
    Use fire resistance potion upon entering level
    Use detect evil/invisible to find the Balrog (he may find you)
    Drink all invulnerability potions on contact with Balrog
    Drink super hero potions after that
    Use haste potions and fire resistance if invulnerability runs out
    Don't bother with haste unless invulnerability runs out
    Fight the Balrog with a Holy Avenger or Slay Evil weapon
    Carry a few "teleport level" scrolls if things go south
    ---

----------------
      Note     
----------------

1. Wands of cloning, fire resistance potions, haste potions are on level 2
2. Potions of healing begin to drop on level 12, and are common at level 24
3. Hoard fire resistance, haste, healing, and invincibility potions
4. Always grind with a wand of cloning and sleeping dragons to save time
5. The password for wizard mode is usually "Gandalf" and you need to press ^W to start
6. Sleep clone young multi-hued dragons right before level 40 for good stat potion drops
7. Recall can not be reset in Moria, so be sure to grind stats before entering level 40
8. Do not linger on levels 40 or below, so as not to risk random ancient dragon spawns
9. Don't use Recharge I unless you are okay with a higher chance of destroying what you're charging
10.Do not equip an item that boosts a stat over max if you plan on unwielding it. Stat is cut off if it goes over 18/100.
11.Found speed boots on level 45. Good place to look that isn't too deep.
12.Potions of Super Hero might give you 1 free point of Max HP when they wear off?
13.Potions of Gain Constitution give 1 free point of HP.
14.Potion/Staff effects stack in duration but not effect.

----------------
    Discovery
----------------

1.Potion of Education?
2.Weapons of monster slaying (SM) give x2 damage to monsters?
3.Defender weapons and speed equipment increase hunger?

----------------
      STAT
----------------

(Here I wrote down if my stats or life was drained, as the game does not track it)
(Recommend you do something like this yourself if you play the game)
All that's left for me to beat is Rogue itself now. But first a good rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom