Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is the person saying this not basically a genetic mutated human mindslave, created and controlled by an alien lifeform bend on destroying humanity?

How does this aid your point again? :?

^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Did I vote already? If not, I vote B.

The holy books have been interpretated wrongly. We need to reform, now!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. madbringer Prophet

madbringer
    Hi guys, last time i checked this thread had 45 pages, what did i miss??

^ Top  
  4. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    Not much.
    Just the total meltdown of the state resulting in all out civilwar and a fanatic theocracy rising from the ashes.

Raumen and Hi'nin are still around.
    New kids on the block are the Brons, they fought the Hi'nin and bloodied their noses.

Currently none of these players do like us.
    Hin'in hate everyone.
    Raumen and Brons are on friendly terms, the Raumen owing thei independence to the Bros.

^ Top  
  5. meeneque Liturgist

meeneque
    Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
    A! :salute:

Not turning away from Santi Maria for goddamn money!

...................__
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    .............\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(

^ Top  
  6. madbringer Prophet

madbringer
    So Codexia is still a collective of spiteful, paranoid hatemongers? :love: Thanks for the low-down, i'm gonna go read this shit up.

^ Top  
  7. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    And much rage will be had.

Bonus info: We are currently voting on abandoning the theocracy, so read fast if you want to participate.

^ Top  
  8. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    Et tu, Brutus?

Please note: This is the second of the reform choices. It will inform the basis of the new government.

The Venerable Respublica of 402AU was one of the great powers of its time. Almost thirty years had already been invested in the colonization of the old Phyr territories. Trillions of credits were expended in the grandest endeavour of its age. Not even the old Republic could boast of settling dozens of worlds simultaneously, with hundreds of more outposts, installations and missions sprinkled across a mind-boggling expanse of space. Millions of human beings were funneled through the colonial program. At first, they were rigorously interviewed for political reliability and piousness. Then, slowly, the pressure valves were released, and there was an en masse population transfer. The Dead Zone was a veritable gold mine. Land, precious land, was available to any who could pay for transport. If they could prove that cultivating it was not beyond the logistical ability of their persons, families or associations, lots of virtually unlimited size were available.

The productiveness of these virgin worlds was slow to pick up, as development continued – but when it did, it was a shot in the arm for the Respublica. There were mega-credits of resources and an untold industrial potential out there, awaiting only the congruence of opportunity and willpower. In a people who were increasingly driven by the thirst for wealth and material satisfaction, such willpower was in plentiful supply. Respublican society was changing – and, in truth, had been changing for some time. Services long considered verboten were once again becoming available widely. Even Unity City itself bore witness to the socio-religious revolution, as the first adult entertainment centre in almost a century opened for business there. Thousands of fortunes were made overnight by business savvy, mostly young individuals. By 400AU the bonanza was well and truly in swing. And it enraged the traditionalists.

The natural instinct of the Codexian state, of course, was to smash the interlopers, proclaim an evisceration of heresy and destroy the nascent political/economic movement before it became unstoppable. Fortunately – or perhaps unfortunately, in the eyes of some – the traditionalists were too busy and too devoted to wrangling with the reformers to be able to affect any truly repressive measures. Furthermore, they were losing that political struggle. Elder Pius Taizong was able to outmaneuver the aging Elder Benoit Charles Certo in the legislative backrooms. His clandestine campaign was effective in isolating Certo from most forms of support. The funding Taizong received from the military-industrial complex and various ‘interested parties’ was enormous. It allowed him to bribe the men he could not sway by other persuasive means. Where he could not buy men, he bought ideas. His promises envisaged plenty, opportunity and wealth that would make a difference. Certo could only appeal to history, to traditional values and to Santi Maria.

Needless to say, the former was more attractive, generally. Most clergy-officials soon came to see things from Taizong’s perspective. All in all, it was looking increasingly likely that the next Synod of the Faithful of Santi Maria would bring about great changes in Respublican government. Was it then a surprise that, in his desperation to preserve a floundering way of life, Certo would resort to violence? The Paladins of Santi Maria – a praetorian guard for the senior-most leaders of the Marianite religion – seemed to be the instruments of his response to the reformist challenge. Though he knew that he risked the anathema of civil war, to Certo’s mind it could not be helped. The ends justified a terrible means. On 2nd September 402AU, Elder John Theocrite Miccoli was assassinated after a cabinet meeting on the outskirts of Unity City. Though the culprits were neither caught nor identified, the reformist faction was not naive. Miccoli had been one of the greatest proponents of their cause. There was only one group with a strong motive for killing him. However, it was only when Tombe A’lualua himself was shot and killed at a political rally in Ile de France that the stage was set for a final showdown between the two factions.

But there was still the question of what, exactly, Certo’s plan was. The assassinations of Miccoli and A’lualua – were they the first shots in a purge? Or were they the last gasps of a desperate leader? Was the intent to hurt, or to demoralize and intimidate? Did Certo have the Paladins behind him in their entirety, or was this the work of individuals? If so, what was the appropriate response from the reformist faction?

There was a great deal of mutual respect between Taizong and Certo. Both Elders expressed regret over the course events had taken – one that had driven them to antagonism. In the end, sorrowfully, they both were prepared to do what had to be done, in pursuit of victory. There was simply too much at stake. Not in a personal sense, but, rather, in the sense of the future identity of the Great Human Nation and the Marianite faith, itself. To that end, the two sides set their plans in motion, and anxiously awaited the outcome.

A choice remains.

Do you... initiate a ‘Night of the Long Knives’? Miccoli is dead. A’lualua is dead. We know who is at fault. Our reforms have popular support. There is no choice now but to destroy the traditionalists. If we allow them to run amok, or if we allow them to intimidate us, we will lose. It is simple enough. Break them!

OR

Do you... choose the path of law? Investigate the assassinations, Councilmen, but abstain from a bloody massacre. How can the Synod reform a government without legitimacy; a government born in senseless violence? If Certo is guilty of these crimes, let us prove so in a court of law. Must we always bathe in the blood of our foes? Let us bask in justice, instead. It will leave us cleaner.

^ Top  
  9. BethesdaLove Arbiter

BethesdaLove
    first

^ Top  
  10. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There's been far too much killing. I choose B. Let's just chill for a while, eh?

^ Top  
  11. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    I'm going to vote B for the moment, however I am open to changing my vote to A should there be a convincing argument to do so.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I think you mean Certo is guilty, mighty Barbarian. Unless it was a slip of the tongue and an investigation would find that Taizong instigated it all so that the reformists would rise and attack the traditionalists…. dear Santi Maria.

Goddess help us.

^ Top  
  13. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    Hah, you might be right, it could be a Freudian slip, and the investigation will go badly for the reformist's cause. It might be better to purge all evidence of foul play and let the goddess sort them out.

^ Top  
  14. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    Well spotted, friend Treave!

No, you should only blame the Barbarian's multi-tasking failures for the error, as he is composing this material at work...

There is no hidden message involved.

^ Top  
  15. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    B

Though the reformists have been seduced by Jew Raumeni gold, those of us who are still faithful to Santi Maria would never condone these events; even if the heretics deserve death we should never lower ourselves to their level in order to punish them rightfully.

^ Top  
  16. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    Although I would like to see a society whose justice system works on the basis of an eye for an eye.

^ Top  
  17. Murk Arcane

Murk
    So you want us to be neo-space-jews?

^ Top  
  18. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
  19. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    B

However I'm perfectly open to an A argument, considering B almost never works in these kinds of games.

^ Top  
  20. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Likewise, I chip in with the B but might switch to A if convinced crowd.

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oh wow, how I am tempted to vote A here, but B does seem the more sensible choice.

If we choose A, we risk escalating this conflict into open civil war, as the Barbarians latest update touches upon, but choosing B isn't a guarantee that this won't happen either.

It does seem safer though, and seeing as we're very busy with the colonizing, we can hardly afford a civil war. The commos are like to break off from unity again, and who knows how many newly-seeded worlds we will lose in the same way?

No, for now, I will go with
    Option B

^ Top  
  22. RandomLurker Scholar

RandomLurker
    B, definitely.

I believe both options would lead to "victory" here, as in the people will get their economic reforms either way. What we're doing here is choosing the political character of the future human state, specifically how authoritarian it will be. I for one would not like to see it move away from, sometimes misguided, but always morally sound, complete devotion to the light of the Saint just to fall into the trap of complete devotion to the whims of a man.

^ Top  
  23. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    You should read up on the history of the rise of Marianism.

Me, I feel that B sounds like the naive choice. This is not a bioware choice; there are real consequences here... The likelihood of the traditionalists organizing a coup is huge, and we cannot afford to be naive. Having the traditionalists weeded out would be an instance of poetic justice really.

^ Top  
  24. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Well, fuck buckets.

A seems messy, inciteful, and the type of blatant, old-school reaction that we are reforming away from.

B is just naive. The stakes are too high to bring anything less than our full power to bear.

I vote for C in memory of Voltaire and Howard Zinn. We fight dirty, but not sloppy. Certo goes down via the courts or disgrace, and in such spectacular, public fashion that further alienates the traditionalists from the will of the people. Unlike B, we only care about the appearance of legitimacy of the process, not the actual legitimacy.

^ Top  
  25. praetor Arcane

praetor
    i find myself in agreement. B

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.