Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

wjw

Augur
Maria said:
Very well put councillor Angthoron.

I agree on that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, I'll address this.

We fought a quarter of their strength. We won easily.

Their full strength may have turned the tide of the war, but do you think our strategists went lol we'll only fight 1/4th of their fleet anyway so we'll win?

No. We expected to face their full fury, and that we went against them means we thought we would win either way. It is just a matter of the degree of victory, and how many lives that victory would cost us. If this had been a terrible war against 1/4th of their fleet that cost us almost the entirety of our fighting force and taxed our economy severely, (as in our war against two Raumen clans), I would not advocate going to war now. But it isn't. It was a swift and easy victory.

edit: Numbers mean nothing in the face of superior tactics. 1000 Phyrrie ships or 4000, it is all futile. If our tactics start being unable to cut it against overwhelming forces, we simply adapt, change, and beat them another way. FFS we're Codexia. This sorta thing shouldn't even faze us.

praetor

Arcane
Angthoron said:
A similar thing may happen if we just let them die as well, mind you. Phyrries are wiped out, and with that, who is next to turn the gaze to? Why, us, of course. They've warred with every other race we know in our parts of space, do you think they will think of us as too cute to wipe out? Do you really?

they fought only in response to aggressions. they were never the instigators. they seem a very isolationist-oriented race

Angthoron said:
And should this not be enough, remember the crystalline aliens. They gave the Phyrries technologies to fight the war. They intervened, even though the lizards could well have turned on them for it. They dared, dear Council, they dared. Despite the lizards beating the Raumen. Are we worse than some mobile rock formations?

and yet they do nothing when the very existence of the furry race is at stake. i sincerely doubt they'd intervene against us if we just pursue a course of inaction and then make friends (or even allies) with the lizards.

speaking of the crystals, my thoughts are these (given what little we know): they might be some kind of "cosmic balancers" and they thought that keeping the bears alive would make this part of the cosmos more balanced, but then the bears fucked up once too many and now the crystals are all "you're fucking idiots.. you're on your own now"

and whoever votes for a fight with the Turanei is clinically insane and should be stripped of all voting privileges (come on, seriously? leaving the furry-bears to be exterminated is not ok, but causing our own extermination is awesome? are you lot that delusional?!)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I believe B is ahead currently, but not by much. Non-confrontational voters will probably get their wish.

Don't get butthurt that some men and women on the council have a bit too much manliness to contain in a single war. :cool:

Angthoron

Arcane
Dear Councillor Praetor, pray tell, which races to date have the terrifying Turanei exterminated? Is there a single one you can name? According to our intelligence reports, there isn't a single one. And for a race that keeps to itself, they certainly fight an awful lot. Do you think they will do differently when they finally encounter us?

They do not fight the Raumen because the Raumen showed them that they can hurt them, and they can hurt them badly enough for other empires to destroy what is left. The Codexians must show their power to all the races in the region - power and determination to use this power - to be left alone to our devise.

praetor

Arcane
Angthoron said:
Dear Councillor Praetor, pray tell, which races to date have the terrifying Turanei exterminated? Is there a single one you can name? According to our intelligence reports, there isn't a single one. And for a race that keeps to itself, they certainly fight an awful lot. Do you think they will do differently when they finally encounter us?

They do not fight the Raumen because the Raumen showed them that they can hurt them, and they can hurt them badly enough for other empires to destroy what is left. The Codexians must show their power to all the races in the region - power and determination to use this power - to be left alone to our devise.

are you having trouble reading, councilor Angthoron? maybe a cybernetic eye implant is in order...

where have i said (written) that the Turanei have exterminated anyone? they fight an awful lot because the retarded furries and devious bugs keep attacking them. please tell me, besides the Raumen "intelligence" where did you come to the conclusion that the Turanei are aggressive (or even xenophobic)? it seems to me it was mostly Raumen propaganda.

now pray tell me, how the hell does a war against the Turanei make any kind of sense? we know the following: some years ago we almost got our asses kicked by 2 raumen clans. the Turanei defeated a whole Mustering of Clans (also years ago) while (or immediately after) fighting the furries. that tells me that of the 5 species currently in play they're either the 2nd most powerful (after the crystals) or very very close to being that. a war with them now would either result in our total defeat or, at best, a victory that would cripple mighty Codexia (and thus make us easy pickings for a Raumen clan or two, or even vengeance by the furries if they still lived by then) and neither scenario is acceptable

it really sounds to me, councilor, that you have never been in the military and know naught of the ways of war.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Gentlemen, please, you can't fight in here, this is a council of war.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I hear the Phyrries are great constructors.

That Death Star isn't gonna build itself, ya'know.

juggernaut

Educated
Option B. I don't think the lizards will attack us because of it, they seem pretty advanced and should be able to see what we are doing to them. And if they do, we can just hand them over if we really think we will lose. I really want to prompt the crystals into doing something though, they seem to be the best potential allies so far.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
treave said:

That wasn't the case a few turns back, when slavery "wasn't worth it".
Now that we don't get hold of their resources or factories, you are willing to make them a part of our empire?

Sometimes I seriously wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to hand Codexia straight into xeno hands rather than to go trough this.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Key point is that we dont make war when we dont have sufficient intel. We dont have intel on Turanei, meaning in the foreseeable future we avoid conflict with them.

The bears are the buffer state between us and Turanei, so their survival is a good idea. Live, they bear the brunt of fighting. Die, they are of no concern.

Third, the bears, as a people, has certain skills that is marketable. I see no harm in take them in as many as we can.

Fourth, if the Turanei take offense at our taking them in, so be it. we are Codexia, we do what we want.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes, we can easily throw our great empire into into a pointless war which we are most likely going to lose.
But that does not mean that it is a viable alternative.

What do we really have to gain on accept the refugees?
They will be a pack of miserable bears, what use are they to us?
They aren't going to hold the Turanei back at all, they might even provoke them to attack us.

If we had full control over heir factories, resources and ships it would be an entirely different matter.

But no, you chose to just have them surrender.
Now the Turanei are doing what this council hadn't the stomach to do, completely taking over their worlds.

laclongquan

Arcane
Taking in refugees can be considered a speculative ventures, or speculative research. We wouldnt know the results unless we do it first. I propose we do it .

Fact is, it's easier on my mind that the refugees will stay on our worlds, than let them loose on their worlds, working on their factories. Security concerns.

As for Turanei, let them. Occupation a whole planet is not easy, let alone cheap, thing to do. It will drain your resources, strain your stomach... As for genocide, what use is that? what profit in that?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
laclongquan said:
As for Turanei, let them. Occupation a whole planet is not easy, let alone cheap, thing to do. It will drain your resources, strain your stomach... As for genocide, what use is that? what profit in that?
No strain on your resources as you just said yourself.

laclongquan

Arcane
Genocide is a permanent answer for a complex question. As in nocost+nobenefit. I do prefer to extract profits from a situation than playing safe.

In another note, I do believe we can make use of the bear refugees. Immensely in fact.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jack said:
treave said:

That wasn't the case a few turns back, when slavery "wasn't worth it".
Now that we don't get hold of their resources or factories, you are willing to make them a part of our empire?

Sometimes I seriously wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to hand Codexia straight into xeno hands rather than to go trough this.

I'm addressing (mimicking) supporters of Option B, not you, Calculator-Savant Jack.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I wonder how this will end up.
If we manage to survive the Turenei and Ammoneth, what would our fate be?

This has been a most entertaining so far.
Also it was a most refreshing change from the other threads.
Reminds me of my many late nights, trying to build an empire in MoO2.

Thank you for this wonderful experience, The Barbarian.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Believe it or not, counting these votes was as exciting as the build up to the Canadiens - Penguins Game Seven.

Option B and Option C were neck and neck at six (in fact, had been trading blow for blow) - but B had a monstrous third period, and ran away 11:6 winners.

A managed a measly two votes.

Option B takes it, update forthcoming in around an hour.

Jack:

Thank you. It has been the Barbarian's pleasure - and will continue to be, for some time, as Codexia has by no means reached the end of its journey.

Angthoron

Arcane
It appears as though this year's Codexia's Got Balls competition will go without a winner.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah? The 1st time Codexia got tetosterone poisoning and attack without proper intel, we nearly got our balls handed to us. I dont know about you but the prospect of being a shortlived brainless swollenballs then becoming an eunuch or worse, dead, doesnt look very attractive.

Maria

Novice
Angthoron said:
It appears as though this year's Codexia's Got Balls competition will go without a winner.

The competition is still on, it's only six competitors and at least one of them is a woman. I cry for our spineless nation

Angthoron

Arcane
Entering a war unprepared is very different from entering a war with a fleet of several thousand vessels, Councillor. We were not mobilised for war in the War of the First Encounter, we were fully mobilised to possibly completely subdue the Phyrries this time.

praetor

Arcane
yet again you show a complete lack of understanding in the ways of war, councilor Angthoron. please, leave the martial business to those who know what they're talking about

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom