Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Option A - Two votes.

Option B - Six Votes.

Option C - Eight Votes.

C victory.

Update forthcoming.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Angthoron said:
Alas, we have them on our worlds now, Councillor, and many races will look at us now and in the future to see how we treat this delicate issue. They are our responsibility now, we did not enslave them, we did not protect them, we did not destroy them. We took them as refugees, an act of humanitarian aid - and now, we must face the consequences of that choice.
You are too soft, councillor, such thinking would never has gotten us to where we are today.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes, we made the mistake of accepting their refugees.
But are we now going to let it drag us down into the dirt?
Shall we let our great empire fall because of some xenos?

This technology we are researching could be the difference between life and death.
Codexian lives are at stake here, councilor, Codexian.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Aftermath

wren_landstalker.jpg

The decades following the Phyr War were, in many ways, unkind to Codexia. Though it had been victorious - and decisively so - a serious, underlying socio-economic malaise threatened future Codexian development, and rendered the state itself a tottering, decrepit institution. The period of heady colonial growth starting in 205AU and ending around 230AU had a number of economic side effects. Firstly, it drained state coffers badly, as the government continued to spur and subsidize colonial development under severe pressure from a pioneering-minded public. Secondly, the expenditure was accompanied by crippling debt, which could not be adequately serviced. Thirdly, the Phyr War had badly damaged the precarious balance of trade, and Codexia found itself running at a serious deficit. The government then went a step further and funneled the limited moneys available into a cavalcade of research and development programs, intended to 'catch up to the xenos'. It was a dangerous concoction the Codexian administration brewed.

The practical consequences of the aforementioned came to a boil just as the first of the research projects was finally bearing fruit, in 221AU. The troubles began on Leonid, which was even then a major colony world, and was at the time home to at least fifty million souls. Protests against Phyr refugee settlement were followed by long, drawn out clashes with the authorities. When the state then imposed a heavier tax burden to pay for its various social, infrastructural and development programs, the clashes turned into outright urban battles with the police, resulting in a number of deaths. It did not take overly long for cries of 'Down with the Government!' to turn into 'Down with Codexia!', and for 'Leonid is Codexian!' to become 'Leonid for Le-landers!'. In truth, it was a congruence of variables that threatened to bring on a bloody civil war. Recession tore at the very purse strings the government had to loosen to quell deepening social unrest. Resources were spread too thinly. Immense hostility toward Phyr settlement was ignored by a government caught between a rock and a very hard place, indeed.

By 223AU, Leonid had become a warzone. Tens of thousands perished in a brutal guerrilla war that stopped the development of the planet dead in its tracks. For a time, however, it seemed as if the government had brought the problem under a degree of control, by deploying a colossal garrison to the planet and maintaining a vice grip on the space lanes. Then the whispers began in the Grand Assembly of the Council. Representatives from a number of 'young worlds' (as these particular colonies now preferred to be called) voiced their constituents' discontent over the government handling of the Leonid situation, and the Colonial Expanse, in general. One by one, more voices were added to the gaggle, until the whispers became an outcry.

The boldest of them called for the establishment of the most developed colony worlds as autonomous states in their own right. The most radicalized wanted even more. It took a while to register just how deep the resentment ran. Strict regulations limiting personal freedoms, a heavy and growing tax burden, unpopular xeno policies, direct government meddling in colonial development... all this (and more) produced a generation of men and women in the Colonial Expanse without any great love of Codexia. Meanwhile, the people of Codexia itself (the homeplanet, that is) seethed at the impudence of the 'pathetic colonials'. The cheek of them! Their belligerence toward the agitating parties was difficult to overstate.

To add insult to injury, the government also subsequently realized, at a certain stage of the crisis, that substantial portions of the military might actually not side with the state in the event of an armed confrontation with the Colonial Bloc (the 'Young Worlds Bloc', officially). The situation clearly demanded an appropriate resolution.

Do you... grant the Young Worlds the autonomy they seek, and thereby prevent civil conflict?

OR

Do you... act decisively to 'sanitize' the worlds in question? This would involve purging the local leadership and deploying massed garrisons to police the rebellious colonials.

OR

Do you... borrow heavily from the Raumen? This would give you the funds to mollify segments of the population, ease the tax burden and fund socio-economic programs of intrinsic value?

Maria

Novice
Where the hell would we get the money and resolve to combat the raumen? With the lean ass attitude and weak willed politicians of codexia we'll never go to war again.

The new worlds desire freedom and I with them. Freedom will lead to trade and fair relations. It's a win-win solution to the idiotic and erratic policies of our government.

A.

And I would be honored to be codexias ambassador to our new allies.

taplonaplo

Scholar
C, it's not like we gonna pay it back anyway, well not if i can help it that is. I wonder tho, were all our efforts in research in vain, have not invented something worth mentioning?

praetor

Arcane
C.

and there you have it, fools that wanted to shelter the stupid "cute teddy-bears". you decision made this happen! you wouldn't listen and now Codexia has to pay. shame on you

at least war with the lizards was averted. for now.

Maria

Novice
root said:
How dare you propose we cede our rightful colonies to a bunch of uppity rebels with no respect for their forefathers? HOW DARE YOU?!
It's as much their right as yours. We are all humans and all of equal value, are we not? Freedom for our brothers and sisters is the only way to evade civil war. Humans killing humans cannot be allowed!

wjw

Augur
I have to reconsider my vote... I will go with A.

Certainly, losing a few worlds isn't a good thing, but there is enough space for our empire to grow and keep a small other empire (known and allied to us) nearby.

In times of war we could help eachother, in times of peace we could trade.

- We lose very little by granting autonomy to the Young Worlds. The cost of supressing them, or lending money from the Raumen will cripple us harder.

- We gain an ally!
- We gain social stability, because people who are unhappy with our regime can always turn to the Young New Worlds.

Certainly, this isn't a situation I am happy with. Be we don't have to be hypocrits, we know this was going to happen. We should be thankfull that there isn't a military uprising!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
We should have gone for social infrastructure...

And even as much as it pains me to say, we need the help of the Raumen.

C.

Maria

Novice
root said:
Human has killed human since the dawn of time. It is not our fault that these fools cannot see what's best for codexia is best for them. If a dog bites the hand of his master, he should be put down.

From my perspective YOU do not know what is best for codexia and by your own logic you deserve to be "put down".

And we have evolved beyond the use of animal analogies.. Grant then their deserved freedom an we will gain a trade partner, a friend and an ally.

Deny their freedom and we will have economic crisis guerilla warfare and terrorism for a hundred years!

wjw

Augur
root said:
Damn subversives, you shame us all. If these worlds are granted autonomy by the world court, then what? How many other worlds will we lose? How much of our military defense network will be compromised? How much industry, research, and income will we lose? And they will be no allies to us.

Why would they not be allies with us? We granted them freedom. We could discuss the proportion of military and industrial assets they are given. We should give them enough to make a comfortable start.

A loan from the Raumen will seriously hamper our economy (again!) and it will take certainly a hunderd years before stability is reached. Don't dwell on past mistakes.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is the price you have to pay for chosing to help the bears.
Was it worth it, councillors?
As much as I want to see these rebel scum be put down by force, we can't do that as it would cause too much unrest.
Vote changed.
We will never pay them back.

If we allow them to become independet we could just as well kill them all, the long therm the effect would be about the same.
We lose a lot of people, and nothing good comes out of it.

taplonaplo

Scholar
That's exactly what i don't want to do by concentrating on the future not the present. By giving them autonomy, the situation will be resolved for now, but we have no way to predict how far our colonies will stray away from us in time. Unity is not a luxury, but a necessity in our position.

Sure, taking further loans from the bugs is another step down the road in further destabilizing our economy, but i believe that if we can ease the social tension, we may get into a position, where war against the Raumen is not bound to fail. And for that chance i'm willing to risk, because we made a decision, which in retrospect looks like a bad one, and i won't rest until our objective is achieved.

lightbane

Arcane
EDIT: Reconsidering my vote, I say C, we will never pay the loan, and we cannot allow heretical ideas to expand, we'll deal with this issue peacefully... for a last time.

praetor

Arcane
with the raumen bling-bling we get our people happy again, we (short-term) stabilize our economy to get that R&D going full-speed so we can (hopefully) trade and/or sell that new tech to recoup some (all) of the money loaned from the raumen (to serve as back-up in case we won't be in a state to wage ware against them)

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
taplonaplo said:
That's exactly what i don't want to do by concentrating on the future not the present. By giving them autonomy, the situation will be resolved for now, but we have no way to predict how far our colonies will stray away from us in time. Unity is not a luxury, but a necessity in our position.

Sure, taking further loans from the bugs is another step down the road in further destabilizing our economy, but i believe that if we can ease the social tension, we may get into a position, where war against the Raumen is not bound to fail. And for that chance i'm willing to risk, because we made a decision, which in retrospect looks like a bad one, and i won't rest until our objective is achieved.
We simply can't allow them do defect from us.
What if their ideas spread?
What if they turn against us later on?
What if they ally themselves with the Raumen?
We cannot afford that.

Peace through Power.
Power through Unity.

taplonaplo

Scholar
My reply was to wjw not you Jack, but apparently it's so shallow you can't even make a difference. Shame on me.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
root said:
Unity through Faith.

I am a Skyway-Fearing Codexian and proud of it!
Skyway is the key to our ascension.
taplonaplo said:
My reply was to wjw not you Jack, but apparently it's so shallow you can't even make a difference. Shame on me.
Oh, hours and hours of lengthy meetings have finally taken their toll on me.
I could've sworn that you were arguing for the rebels.
Re-reading it, it is quite clear whose side you are on.
But expecting heavy resistance as I were I took it for an argument for the opposite side.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
C.

Lets look back a few years.

"‘The Phyr are no friends of yours, human-clan. They are no victims in this war. Many apologies for not telling you sooner, but Raumeni have many disagreements with Phyr. A shameful history. They chose war with Turanei. Stay out of this fight. If you do, we provide you with favourable trade terms. You will grow fat and opulent – our promise to you.’"

What did the "politicians" decide back then? Yes...
"Take matters into your own hands and try to determine the intentions of the Turanei directly?"

What have we gained in this endavior? Nothing. While I have voted for:
"Trust the Raumen and merely strengthen your border defences against further attacks from any party"

When the time came to keep our enemies closer than our friends, what did the "representatives" do?
"We wish to discover the truth of the conflict between the Turanei and the Phyr"

And me? I wanted our insectoid friends info.
"We wish to be accurately informed of Raumen motivations and actions during this last period"

What happened you ask? Ridiculous, meaningless war happened. Let me quote the decision:
Mobilize immediately, in preparation for war

No tech, resources or anything worthwhile gained. Trade lost. Civil unrest achieved.

And now we come crawling to the chitin armored neighbors? Bend over, face down, ass up and ask for money? Guess what is gonna happen...
Back then, we could have gained an ally, a pragmatic, non xenophobic, technologically superior ally.
Now we are a low life debtor. At least they wont let us get exterminated for we owe them...

10fz5nt.jpg

Next election vote Orgasm for Empresses!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom