Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is the most difficult choice so far.
Any of these would be a most excellent choice, the question is what would make the greatest difference.

I'm inclined towards either the derelict hulk or the super weapon.
True AI might end up in a war against Skynet.
The mineral might be useful but not as big change as the other may prove to be.
And I have my doubts about he Turanei.

This will be a long meeting, councillors.

lightbane

Arcane
Hmm, I'm between chosing the super-weapon one and the discovery of the Turanei ship... In any case, everyone knows that AIs are an unfoul heresy that will turn evil sooner or later.

wjw

Augur
I believe we should go with the New Mineral.

- The A.I. might turn against their 'cruel' masters.
- The Turanei vessel will only give us information and some military technology.
- The Super Weapon... we have no moneyzzz to build it.

The New Mineral will give us more stability AND will make our ships stronger in ship-to-ship battle.

The Hulk makes me curious though. I might be persuaded to go for it.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Agreed with Jack, i see strong reasons why any of those are crucial for us.
I'm tempted toward the true AI (defeated by Skynet would be a conclusion worthy of lulz) or the derelict hulk , but i just cannot argue why they would be the best choice.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm split between the derelict hulk and the synthetic mineral. We need a bit of a break to improve our commerce and stability, no matter what the Council said on its previous sitting, when it'll come to the "Fight or hide" option in regards of Raumen, we'll remain hiding, and for good reasons, too - our economy is puny compared to theirs, and we can't fuel a majestic war effort in the state our economy is in.

The Raumen may be trading with a dozen empires, we barely trade with just one. A new mineral, if it were useful, could easily change the way we fight our wars.

On the other hand, the husk... It could contain access to secrets and technologies beyond our imagination. And yet, it's still a 50-50 chance there, it could be a grand breakthrough, it could be useless crap.

I have to say that this is a bit of a mean choice though, as finding an alien ship husk is not as much to do with research as with exploration.

Still, for now, a tentative B.

TNO

Augur
A: Huge advantages.

I don't think the skynet scenario is too much to worry about. Either the other races have AIs (and they haven't been killed by the terminators) or they don't. If they don't, we have a similar advantage to the mineral in having a novel commodity.

Risk of apocalypse, but great payoffs. The Mineral is too middle-road. The hulk is too random (we need to get guaranteed payoffs), and the super-weapon pointless for now.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
My vote goes to the true AI.
Option A.

Such a thing could mean our salvation or downfall, perhaps both. But it is also the ultimate tool with which to salvage our economy and war-effort. Naturally, great caution must be taken when developing such an AI, most fundamental must be a deep respect and care for human life and integrity.

And if we're superceded and brought down by our own creation, is that not somthing to be perversely proud of, like parents taking pride in the accomplishments of their offspring?

We need that AI.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Choosing the pussy option B

True AI - there is just no way that this will turn out good. Technically its immortal and all its friends. But I am sure they can come up with some convoluted reason, why biomass is bad, mkay...

Unobtainium - good choice, economy, economy, economy, bugs will try to rip it from our hands...

Ancient hulk - we dont know shit about crystal people and the dudes the raumen went total war with some centuries ago. but in the first case they dont care and in the second the bugs won. My tummy tells me, its a trap from the OP for the greedy ones.

Turanei vessel - do not care. Took them long enough to fight Phyr. We can deal with them.

Super weapons - are lame and slow and its like asking for an ass-kicking in the meantime.

Luan

Educated
WE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS.

I vote B!

There are no downsides, only positives here. Bolstered economy AND heightened military might!

We will have wormhole, FTL, superior sublight, cloaking, and superior missile tech! We can reap the benefits of superior strategic AND tactical prowess with a mighty economic industrial base to support it.

And as I have stated earlier, there are many more ways to fell a foe than our weapons of war.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
To make the choices a little bit more genuine.

Barb, when you post the next update with Choices, post the rough outcomes on pastebin.com. It shows the date you posted it.
Include the link in your update but leave 2 or 3 characters out of it. This "pastebin.com/SUSNU8kM" will then look like that "pastebin.com/SUSNU***".
That way you cant change the outcomes because you already posted the link and the characters are random so you wont be able to prepare a few different pastebins.
We cant read it because we dont know the missing numbers. I guess , I could bruteforce pastebin but that would take way to much time to filter out the one with the space opera choices.

lightbane

Arcane
Azira said:
My vote goes to the true AI.
Option A.

Such a thing could mean our salvation or downfall, perhaps both. But it is also the ultimate tool with which to salvage our economy and war-effort. Naturally, great caution must be taken when developing such an AI, most fundamental must be a deep respect and care for human life and integrity.

And if we're superceded and brought down by our own creation, is that not somthing to be perversely proud of, like parents taking pride in the accomplishments of their offspring?

We need that AI.

The Adeptus Mechanicus have heard of your opinion and reacted accordingly. Soon, aproximately 2 hours later after reciving this message a kill-team send by the Adeptus will capture you and take you back to their installations, where you will be accused of heresy and tortured with unspekeable means until your mind completely breaks, moment where you will be turned into a souless servitor. Enjoy your incoming endless pain and infinite torture, and have a nice day.

Long story short: AI are too dangerous, there are too many examples of it, I reccomend not using them until we're completely ready of the consequences (aka we need moar tech and at least the Raumen killed, less they take advantage of these).

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Orgasm said:

Barb, when you post the next update with Choices, post the rough outcomes on pastebin.com. It shows the date you posted it.
Include the link in your update but leave 2 or 3 characters out of it. This "pastebin.com/SUSNU8kM" will then look like that "pastebin.com/SUSNU***".
That way you cant change the outcomes because you already posted the link and the characters are random so you wont be able to prepare a few different pastebins.
We cant read it because we dont know the missing numbers. I guess , I could bruteforce pastebin but that would take way to much time to filter out the one with the space opera choices.
That's a bit over the top, don't you think?
Besides, we shouldn't know exactly what would have been the right choice.
The more we know for sure the less fun this is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Technological advances. At last.

I'll probably decide after the State of the Union is released, if it will be released before the next update.

In the mean time...

AI will benefit military, industrial and economic applications.

Ditto for minerals.

Space hulk is super sweet but do Codexians have the balls to sacrifice certain advancement over something that may or may not be useful?

Turanei tech is p. useless since a majority of councillors do not wish to fight them, plus they aren't that much more advanced than us.

SUPERWEAPONS! Could we hold the galaxy to ransom?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Orgasm said:

I trust the Barbarian.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Seeing how AI has some supporters i vote for option A. I don't want to discourage other councilors from voting for it, just because it has fewer supporters.
Oh and PLEASE don't tell us what would the alternatives result in, that would totally turn this game into i-told-you-so and kill all the fun.

Maria

Novice
Orgasm said:

I'd rather not have it that way, it would ruin the "what if" mood and would make bad choices less bad as we could see exactly what would have happened.
Continue ad usual Mr Barbarian

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I told you so. :smug:

By the way, minerals are probably the best and quickest way for us to escape the Raumen debt at this point, if we do trade them to the Raumen... but beware that they may attempt to reverse engineer the samples they have purchased on the interstellar market and use it to improve their own technology.

Just something to think about.

praetor

Arcane
B

yes, it's the pussy option, but Codexia is in dire need of both new tech and $$$ and this is the only one to surely provide both

laclongquan

Arcane
To recap:

Our proud and ambitious Codexia is facing her two greatest problems:

a. The inner tensions between various factions, the young colonies vs the old homeworlds, human vs bears, the growing number of rootless citizens, the gap of loyalty inside army and fleet, the still unrecovered economy... so on and so forth.

b. The external debt toward the bugs. Should you think of defaulting this debt, be aware that this might well be the cause of a great muster of clans and another great war.

In the course toward reinforcing the foundation of our Empire, we need to increase the strength of both our economy and our weapons. So, the invention of a new materials that benefit both our productive capability and our missile and our sublight speed is too much to desire.

We are not at the stage where we can gamble like the last time. This step need to be strong, sure, and certain. This is no time to go exploring new ancient hulk or alien artefacts, not when we still havent digested the bulk of bear's honeys. AI or super weapons are both too risky in nature. So this time I bet on the sure course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom