Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

juggernaut

Educated
I can't believe none of you care about super weapons. Planet-killing, star-killing super weapons! Instead you go for +1 missiles +1 engines :|

The Barbarian

Liturgist
To make the choices a little bit more genuine.

Barb, when you post the next update with Choices, post the rough outcomes on pastebin.com. It shows the date you posted it.
Include the link in your update but leave 2 or 3 characters out of it. This "pastebin.com/SUSNU8kM" will then look like that "pastebin.com/SUSNU***".
That way you cant change the outcomes because you already posted the link and the characters are random so you wont be able to prepare a few different pastebins.
We cant read it because we dont know the missing numbers. I guess , I could bruteforce pastebin but that would take way to much time to filter out the one with the space opera choices.

This... seems a little extreme to the Barbarian. You wish to know of the existence of proof that the Barbarian considers all choices offered - but simultaneously express no need to see the Barbarian's actual thought process, in the event?

Conan must ask, what for?

If your query was regarding whether Conan writes the consequence trees before the choices are made, then allow him to answer simply: he does not. Each individual choice is given a sentence - or, at the most, a paragraph - of consequence drafting, when the choice itself is written up.

RE: The hulk:

Construing this as a technology choice means reading into it a little, unfortunately. Yes, it's not straightforward R&D - but the Barbarian's hope is that you can see how it would be, if for example you had previously discovered a hulk full of wonderful technologies that you then analyzed and reverse-engineered. That would be the R&D part of it. The actual find just sets the context.

Last edit:

Orgasm, if you were wondering specifically regarding THIS choice, the consequences for each decision were decided about three hours ago. The Barbarian hopes you do not need proof of that to enjoy this experience.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah, so it's more of a means to finally reverse-engineer it at last rather than find it just now.

Damn it, tempting, tempting! If nothing else, we could gain a different way to do stuff, which would inevitably lead to innovation of either mainstream, specialized or novelty... But at the same time it's still a gamble and we've gambled a whole lot lately and got us a nice debt that will repossess our house and our wife if we don't get our shit back together.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
@Barb
Its a my trust issues. You can flip flop after the voting. You can shift the outcome to be more fun for you or some other reason. Basically its the same problem I raised earlier.

But the majority trusts you and its cool. Its enjoyable.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
What problem?
What difference does it make if he changes his mind?
We still don't know what it was to begin with...
Would it even matter?

Even so he still does think trough the outcome before we choose.
I just can't see a problem here.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Its a my trust issues. You can flip flop after the voting. You can shift the outcome to be more fun for you or some other reason. Basically its the same problem I raised earlier.

But the majority trusts you and its cool. Its enjoyable.

For what it's worth, the Barbarian understands your concern.

But he's a bro. A bro! *brofist*

EDIT:

Let's gently close this issue. Any further queries in this sense can go straight to the Barbarian's inbox - this thread should be for game purposes only.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
So far we have:
A: 3
B: 6
C: 2
D: 0
E: 1

We need more hulk voters.
Stand up and show that Codexia still have what it takes.
That we are willing to take chances.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
750 posts in a little more than a week.

:obviously:

Haven't voted, but I'm curious if anyone will address the issue I raised regarding the bugs getting their spindles on our super-mineral. I can be convinced for B if we are assured that the mineral will not benefit the Raumen. Otherwise it's a toss up between Space Hulk time and SUPERWEAPONS, the two most lulzy choices.

laclongquan

Arcane
NO! New material that +1 to engine, weapon and +5 to Economy is the way to go. Of all the choice, it's less risky than most.

And before someone chip in that the Raumen can reverse-engineer that, do remember one key word about them: Hyper-individualistic. Okay, two words. Greedy capitalists. whatever.

At best you got one clan compete with you on the market. And if we can prove that the material is our product of sweat and brain, we can sue them. And when they dont pay, do remember that we still have a fleet that is itching to pile on the bug to avenge that ancient defeat "Go ahead, punk! Make my day!"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hyper-individualistic doesn't mean that they won't steal our tech.

Actually, I revise my stand, in fact they don't need to steal it.

Why will the minerals be valuable? Of course because they will improve engine and missile-tech immensely.

Will the minerals be valuable to species that will be unable to utilize it? No. They have little use for it.

Why would the minerals be valuable to the Raumen? Because they can use it to improve their engines and missile-tech.

They don't need to know how to manufacture it, they just need to buy it from us. We are trillions of credit in debt to them, and so they can practically get those minerals at will on the interstellar market. In fact it's probably the only way to pay off our debts.

And in the end, we're back to the status quo, with the Raumen still richer than us, still more technologically advanced. Sure, we've recovered, but that only put us back where we were in relation to the Raumen before the recession occurred.

Radisshu

Prophet
The Barbarian said:
The decades following the Phyr War were, in many ways, unkind to Codexia. Though it had been victorious - and decisively so - a serious, underlying socio-economic malaise threatened future Codexian development, and rendered the state itself a tottering, decrepit institution.

See? You should have listened to me.

Now I vote B, our economy needs it badly, as does our stability in general.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Radisshu said:
The Barbarian said:
The decades following the Phyr War were, in many ways, unkind to Codexia. Though it had been victorious - and decisively so - a serious, underlying socio-economic malaise threatened future Codexian development, and rendered the state itself a tottering, decrepit institution.

Gee, I wonder who voted to take in the Phyrries which was the initial cause of our recession...

You lack :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Radisshu

Prophet
treave said:
Radisshu said:
The Barbarian said:

Gee, I wonder who voted to take in the Phyrries which was the initial cause of our recession...

Yeah, and maybe we could've used those phyrries as I proposed, to begin with, if we hadn't pretended we never took them in in the first place and instead would have fixed our destabilized state. This is not a game of Starcraft, we cannot support hyper-advanced technology on nothing.
:decline:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Radisshu said:
treave said:
Radisshu said:
The Barbarian said:

Yeah, and maybe we could've used those phyrries as I proposed, to begin with, if we hadn't pretended we never took them in in the first place and instead would have fixed our destabilized state.

Blame the flip-floppers who don't know what they really want.

I've been consistent for a while now. Technology and War. :love:

edit:

This is not a game of Starcraft, we cannot support hyper-advanced technology on nothing.
:decline:

TheWE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS argument. Nice one. <-- no sarcasm meant. <-- just in case more butthurt is generated.

Radisshu

Prophet
^
Hahahaha, didn't think of that.

Yeah, I guess the people who are too easily swayed are mostly to blame, but you still have to keep the state of Codexia in mind when voting for anything to take effect. I want awesome technology too, but I believe we first must focus on the basics. We are a fledgling space empire after all.

laclongquan

Arcane
Hyper-invidualistic meaning that one clan may get it but they will NOT share it with other clan. Meaning they became a competitor with us. Interlectual infringement?

ANd what if they can buy it? production is the key. When we hold monopoly on that, we hold power. Combined that with a ready-to-kick-ass fleet and we have one hell of a combobreaker.

And dont get too down. After all, we survive the war, got the tech, and ready to ascend, dont we?

Radisshu

Prophet
If they are hyper individualistic, we cannot trust them as a whole. Even if 99% of the clans agree, there might always be a tiny little percent that screws us over.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Actually, I'm afraid that is not the case anymore. Although i have no information to confirm, i have a crawling suspicion, that the loan is not from a single clan, but rather a joint effort. You can't just label them as hyper-individualistic and suppose that they would cut each others throat as soon as they have the opportunity, now that they invested in us as a whole race, they want something out of the deal.

We have no way how fast they can monopolize the new market, but i guarantee you that they won't rest until they've done it. They know we are aggressive, they know we are in trouble, i doubt they trust us and they would be fools not to take advantage over our situation. And based on their history, they know their way around the market.

Developing a super weapon is a long and expensive process, i doubt we have the economy to make it work, especially without the bugs noticing it. An AI has a multitude of uses and is not something the bugs could exploit for some time, hence i'd prefer it over the synthesized material. And the Turanei vessel is just faint in comparison to the magnitude of the other discoveries, especially since we don't plan to go to war with them.

Which leaves us with the derelict hulk. I can understand that most of you don't want to risk in our economical situation, but i just can't skim over such a unique opportunity. It might hold something much more valuable than any of the other discoveries.

We decided to concentrate on R&D because we wanted an edge over the Raumen, we loaned from them because we believed the only united can we stand against the rest of the galaxy. If you do not wish to grab this opportunity, all our previous efforts were in vain. We knew we would risk a lot by ignoring the social consequences of the war, but we did so nevertheless, and i believe we did not make a mistake, we just have to recognize that this is what we sacrificed our stability for.

tl;dr Hulk>AI>Mineral , rest sucks.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We don't hold power when they can probably call in the debt to make us do what they want though. If we did not have that weighing on us, this mineral technology would not be an issue at all.

This reminds me, I'm interested in more information on the deal signed between Codexia and the Raumen. They lent us credits at high interest rates... but that is all we know. Was it that simple a deal? Did Secretary of Finance and Economics Messer Wyrmlord broker such a direct deal for us?

Anyway... there's the reason I'm waiting for the State of the Union before voting. Shouldn't really matter though, I'm thinking option B will win this round.

juggernaut

Educated
Yeah ok, I admit my previous decision to go for the super weapon wasn't really serious, I don't think we're in a position right now to prioritize it. But I hope at some point we are!

As much as it hurts, I'm changing my vote - to AI. There are strong points in favour of the unobtainium but I think the riskier option will really pay off in this instance, for both technology and economy.

I'll edit my previous post to minimize confusion

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suggest a compromise.

We take the synthesized material, make a big amount of it in the shape of a giant Phyrrie testicle, say that we're giving it to the Raumen as a gift of goodwill, and then we drop it on the Clan Father when he comes to accept it.

Luan

Educated
treave said:
TheWE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS argument. Nice one. <-- no sarcasm meant. <-- just in case more butthurt is generated.

1203120629841zy8.jpg

We will have the Raumen by the proverbial balls.

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
juggernaut said:
Yeah ok, I admit my previous decision to go for the super weapon wasn't really serious, I don't think we're in a position right now to prioritize it. But I hope at some point we are!

As much as it hurts, I'm changing my vote - to AI. There are strong points in favour of the unobtainium but I think the riskier option will really pay off in this instance, for both technology and economy.

I'll edit my previous post to minimize confusion
One world.
Skynet.

The derelict hulk won't go rogue on us while we are fighting the Raumen. And might contain invaluable secrets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom