Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
They did rob us blind anyway, and we still haven't gone to war.
Our first priority should be to increase our unity and get our economy in shape again.

This is why we cannot spend any more money on trying to find the meth creatures.
We wouldn't have much to gain on contacting them right now anyway.

Angthoron

Arcane
Going to have to go with Option B here. Settling can wait, recon is important at the moment. Keep in mind that the Amoneth have gifted FTL and cloaking to the Phyrries, they might well know how to use both in conjunction to hide from our existing radars.

Not to mention that Option B will give a boost to our research and exploration once again. Don't fall into the obvious pitfall of pissing off an invisible race of aliens that doesn't even bleed.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
They have the means to contact us, if they don't want to be found why spend a massive amount of money on doing so?
Even so we got the stealth and FTL tech from the furries, so what if the meth creatures don't have anything more advanced than that?

Angthoron

Arcane
Difference is, they could've given Phyrries Gen 1 techs while they're on Gen 10 techs already. See the difference? Like giving primitives some beads while you yourself are wearing diamonds. I doubt the Amoneth were idiotic enough to give the peak of their technologies to a race of furry savages. I don't see our Council doing so.

So, tech generation gap being on their side, we might never detect them with our level of tech.

As for why they've not contacted us, well, that's a space for speculations. They may be extinct or gone, yes, or a ploy of another race, a bunch of constructs that, say, the Raumen used to kick-start the Phyrries. These are valid options.

However, they could simply be studying us. We do not know the level of their tech. The dust beneath your feet may be a thousand Amoneth spies and researchers. Majority of the Council was against fighting the unknown Turenai, yet they are just fine about potentially spiting a race that even the Turenai have apparently not fought against - yes, without knowing anything about them, again. Back then, the "We don't know" factor was winning the decisive votes. Now? Now we're happy to be ignorant.

"Codexianity will not repeat the same mistake again", indeed?

Conkrete Knight

Educated
I am going to cast my vote with the B lot.

There are three possible options conserning the state of the Crystals:

They have left, they are watching us or something big and nasty has killed them.

Seeing as how they gave the fur-bears stealth technology some decades ago it would be foolish to asume that they have not build upon it in the mean time.
So for all we know they might be camping a few miles away from our scouts, slightly chuckling at our stupidity.

However stomping all around their space, sreaming "Mine, all MINE!" might be seen as slightly provoking. Remember, thoose are no sissy liberal humans, thoose are minds alien to our own.

Better trying to establish contact first.

If they are gone, option B is a losser -way to waste ressources.

If they have been killed i REALLY don't want us to go into the direction of what killed them without intel.

Economicly B of course will reduce our development, but as things are now Adam the second should help soften that effect sufficently to avoid civil unrest.

In terms of war with the meths:
Laser against crystaline structures: Big no-no.
Rockets against crystaline structure: Dust.

Oh, and Hi Kodeks!

Luan

Educated
Option B!

This is not stubbornly charging forward falling to the traps of sunken costs. The risk is still worth the rewards. Our discoveries in the region may not be limited simply to Amoneth and it's tangentials. If it truly is devoid of Amoneth, then this option is just as good as exploring beyond the Raumen space and the great beyond.

This is it!

Angthoron

Arcane
The Codanish Councilman raises an important point. What if the Amoneth are destroyed, and their killers are waiting for us? Perhaps it's a rogue AI - a potential reason for the animosity towards our own AI by the Raumen - that annihilated an entire race. If this is the case, we should certainly not start settling before we see the big picture.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
We have explored their systems for eight years and still not found any evidence to support their existance. One would think they would have left ruins or at least ship hulls if they were destroyed.
For all we know they could just be a rumor, a myth made up to frighten little children.

Even if they were real, why would they give us their tech?
I don't know what drives you in this mad search for the Ammoneth, but whatever they are, they aren't going to fuel our great warmachine.

Let us deal with the problems we already have and don't search for new ones.

taplonaplo

Scholar
treave said:
Councillor, your words changed my perspective forever. You told us not to be wishy washy. To be consistent and focus and follow through. That is why I am now pursuing my desires, whatever the cost.

Are you going to betray my dreams by pussying out? :(

You voted to contact the Amoneth, councillor. Follow through. Settle their territories, or spend more in looking for them, but don't, for r00fles' sake, back out on us now!
I apologize for my recent behavior, but let me try explain.

I can clearly see the benefits of colonial expanse over Amoneth territory, but i honestly don't think there is as much to gain from colonizing to risk a conflict with the Amoneth, which i think is going to happen if we were to allow expansion. I do not think our survival is at stake no matter what we do at this point, but it would be a serious setback if we were to lose more than what we already have, and yes i know i've been one of the most vocal "suicadal" supporter on the AI question, but that was a desperate situation, which called for an action of same scale, now we have a somewhat stable position, and i don't see the need to change that.

Yes pussying out if this situation bothers me too, but at this point i see that as the most promising way towards our goal crushing the Raumen, even if the Amoneth are indeed gone, or don't care what we do, a new wave of colonization just splinters our fragile social balance even more.

With shame I vote option C. :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
laclongquan said:
If you want to fight Turanei you should have supported my proposal Reconquista. Not only it's highly profitable it also would have brought us into direct contact with the lizard scum.

Too late, I got bored of wanting to fight them a dozen years back. Now I want to fight the Amoneth instead. TEST OUR MIGHTY WARMACHINES! :smug:

They won't come to us even if we search for them so let us draw them out instead by settling their territory.

taplonaplo said:
With shame I vote option C.

son_i_am_disappoint.gif

laclongquan

Arcane
Now why would you think you can gain tech easily with the crystals?

By Trade? Hah, I laugh.

By War? hah, again I laugh. We go to war with the bear and gain a bunch of artefacts but did we want to spend money on them? They are still gathering dust in our warehouse.

So the main reason behind contact them is out! What else make you want to contact them?

I say again, do not throw money after the bad. recoup a little and when you have the chance pour money into research bear's loots.

lightbane

Arcane
EDITED: I change to A. If we all die due this I'm not to be held responsible.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Codexia's Manifest Destiny is to rule over every single star in the galaxy. These empty worlds are rightfully ours - let us not fear offending something that may or may not exist.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I say B. I don't trust our populace to let them run around without a leash on in possibly enemy territory.

We'll find out what's going on, and it'll be the men we appoint that sits at the helm, when we finally make contact.

lightbane

Arcane
Alright then, so be it. I'll change my vote. If it doesn't kill us, it will distract the citizens, and that's always good...

Frau Bishop

Erudite
The expansion of proud Codexia shall experience no standstill. We don't have time to fear imaginary pet semataries within our controlled territory.
(we scouted it without objection or tears, it's ours)
Let's colonize our new Lebensraum!

But.. we should use up the Phyrries for testing. They shall live safely in a protectorate, only demanded to pay ordinary taxes and share all their intelligence with us. They will be full of joy for getting a chance to start over.. and our people will love us for getting them out of eyesight.
Under one condition: They are expected to welcome any other species that are in need of shelter when the time comes.
Everyone loved the Amphitheatrum Novum, everyone will love this planet. :)

A

wjw

Augur
The verdict is ... C!

This time the minority vote wins! Vote C : social stability!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
A would give even more social stability.
We have already put a great deal of money into this project and a withdrawal now would not lead to anything good.

Radisshu

Prophet
Exactly, we must - in some way - move forward. Otherwise, the previous decision had been for nothing.

laclongquan

Arcane
C is actually very dangerous for us. For comparison, you can think of US trying to get out of Vietnam/Iraq immediately, no shit, right this minute. Uh huh, then why do you jump in there in the 1st place, the public will ask and the goverment will be voted out of office.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Ten votes for Option A, after a very strong start to the voting round.

Seven votes for Option B, which rallied in the second third, after a ponderous start.

Five votes for Option C, which had a steadily poor return throughout.

The winner is Option A.

Update forthcoming.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
You raise a valid point.

In future, Conan will look at ways to avoid flipping the proverbial coin. He is seriously considering using the Rule of Five to avoid such conflicts in future (i.e. when the vote is tied, whichever option reached five votes first takes it). Hopefully, however, the situation does not repeat itself on a weekly basis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom