Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    But the Raumen will also get experience fighting us, treave. And we have made more advances technologically than they have since the last war, so their intel is the more outdated. But even so, after giving it careful thought, I've come to a decision. We should manipulate events into our favor through any means possible.

Let's just hope the bug clans we don't help won't unite against us.

C

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    With the amount of pro-Raumen senators milling around, I find it hard to believe they do not have up-to-date intel on our capabilities.

Furthermore, they know how we fight - we use Wyrmholes to attack strategic points and throttle their war effort. We have not seen a need to change those tactics. Discovering defects in our strategies will require testing them, and I don't mean armchair testing in the War Room. In this case, it is safer to test them against the Raumen rather than, say, the Turanei. We may even secretly develop new tactics and ways of battling the Raumen.

Still, all in all the experience I was referring to would be more along the lines of battle-hardening our brave men and women of the fleet. The Raumen, after all, engage in regular internecine skirmishes and raids, but we don't fight unless there is an external enemy.

^ Top  
  3. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    All the more reasons to wait.

I am not convinced this war is as serious as it appears. And go to war with them while the whole civilization is up in arms is very very dangerous.

I dont mind brave actions but I do mind reckless.

^ Top  
  4. praetor Arcane

praetor
    C motherfuckers!

like war hero Jack said "Finally a chance to kill some bugs."

seriously codexians, how can you pass up a chance to squish some vermin? the chance to test our shiny new AI in battle conditions? perhaps even test some new ships and weaponry if we developed anything new...

TO. FUCKING. WAAAAR!

^ Top  
  5. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Self-Ejected
    I Have Disgusting Opinions
    I just realized why the Phyr and the Raumen were so disorganized during our wars.
    When they engage their FTL drives communication is impossible.

That's why they only could swarm our outer colonies, and their lack of tactical planning contributed a lot.
    This battle will be easy, if we are able to pull the same thing off again.
    A few deadly strikes where they really can feel it.

:salute:
    To all who voted for C.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    The Barbarian believes that the vote is now as follows:

Eight votes for Option A.

Three votes for Option B.

Nine votes for Option C.

Option C takes it.

Update forthcoming.

^ Top  
  7. praetor Arcane

praetor
    yes!

mine was decisive!

TO WAR!

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Let's all go get our throats cut, boys!

^ Top  
  9. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Self-Ejected
    Today is a good day to die!
    Huzzah!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
    Don't forget about the asteroids, we must utilize those asteroids!
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  11. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    While I am not usually a warmonger I must admit I am curious to see the full power of the Codexian fleet when faced against a worthy adversary.

^ Top  
  12. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    The Winter of Discontent, Raumeni-style

The Raumeni of the Three-Tone Alliance (three major and several dozen minor clans fighting under the same banner) had always seemed a 'decent enough sort' to the Codexians. Borderlanders, through and through, they included some of the most enterprising 'bugs' around. One of their member clans had even participated in the long and ill-advised war of first contact against the humans. Yet, they were still the ones who did most of the trade with the humans, and were most certainly the ones who dealt with them on an everyday basis. These clans, young and vital as they were, rankled under the strictures of the Confederacy. As an institution, it existed solely to prevent a radical schism amongst clans with inherently distinct interests. However, it could do so only with the assent of its constituent members, and was barely suited to actually resolving internecine grievances. When one of these escalated in the 260s to the point of open conflict, there was little the Confederate 'government' could do.

After all, the Raumeni clans each maintained their own militaries. None depended on the Confederacy for protection - quite the opposite was true, in fact. Therefore, as soon as the Three-Tone Alliance began fighting the Four Suns of the Red Nebula, and its other enemies across the Raumeni Confederacy, the situation immediately became untenable. The Confederate government collapsed in a ruined heap within eight months, and bloody battles began to exert a terrible attrition on the Raumeni belligerents. Hundreds of vessels were destroyed in mere months, and a great many of the insectoids perished. Simply sitting back and observing the course of the conflict was certainly an option, but for the Codexian government the only possible course of action became clear, as soon as trade volume dropped by some thirty percent. To allow this state of affairs to go on would ruin innumerable Codexian businesses, not to mention the unpredictable consequences for long term relations that the conflict might have entailed.

It was quickly decided that Codexia would have to act. In 263AU, roughly a year and a bit into the Raumeni Civil War, the bulk of the Second and Sixth Fleets transitioned into Three-Tone space, as part of a 'peacekeeping' initiative. Led by Admirals JP Gromyn and Michael Augustus, the Codexian Naval forces involved were to act 'in a humanitarian fashion, protecting Raumeni civilians from wartime depredations and thereby helping to resolve the conflict.' This, essentially, was a diplomatic veneer 'covering up' the outright military support the Codexian government had allotted to the Three-Toners. Codexia itself did not mobilize, nor adopt measures that would put it on a wartime footing. Rather, the Civil War was treated as a limited conflict requiring only a moderate military commitment to ensure a favourable outcome.

Unfortunately, this evaluation of the situation at hand proved to be highly optimistic. The presence of the Codexians certainly won otherwise unwinnable battles for the Three-Tone Alliance, but the strategic balance remained precarious. And losses began mounting rather quickly. The Raumeni were deceptively powerful. Though no single clan or collection thereof could match Codexia's potential during a full blown war, the Raumeni, as a whole, were clearly a different story. The smallest of the clans could still call upon some military might - while the greatest had entire Codexian fleet-equivalents in their orders of battle. The armadas of the Four Suns were, in their own right, quite vast. And they made the humans bleed. By 264AU, units of the Seventh and Ninth Fleets were dispatched to the contested frontage. Then, the Seventh was fully committed. Yet, it was clearly not enough. The Battle of the Brothers Epsilon was as decisive a victory as any of the war, for the Three-Toners, but the Four Suns refused to give in. Though possessing superior strategic mobility and working stealth cloaks, the Codexians could not tilt the war decisively in favour of their client faction.

It was in 265AU, the third year of the war, that the Codexian government began suspecting that there was another party to the conflict, backing the forces of the Four Suns with military intelligence, funds and other forms of clandestine support. The hints had been there all along, but no one was looking for them. Within months, Codexian intelligence operatives had uncovered a name. The Hin'in. Aside from that, there was not much information on the unseen foe. It was clear that their horse in the race some called the Civil War was the deadly foe of the Three-Toners. None of the other factions involved seemed to attract their patronage. Said patronage of the Four Suns was having a deleterious effect on Codexian efforts at resolving the conflict, once and for all. Something had to be done. And quickly! The public would not long stand for an undeclared war that was costing thousands of human lives, and that would result in a flood of insectoid refugees into Codexian territory.

Do you... bolster your forces in the Raumeni territories and launch a savage, direct offensive against the Four Suns, in the hopes of flushing out the Hin'in?

OR

Do you... work the back channels, in an attempt at establishing a line of communications with these new aliens? Perhaps they could be reasoned with.

OR

Do you... ignore the Hin'in involvement in the conflict and concentrate on solidifying the gains of the Three-Toners, by calling the Four Suns to the negotiating table? After all, they are also businessmen, and this was not proving so good for anyone's business.

The Barbarian apologizes, lads, he was not trying to give the impression that this war was going to entail the full mobilization of Codexian resources. That sort of thing requires - much as in the real world - the impression of an existential threat, at least.

EDIT: Just for the sake of clarity: you have knowledge of both, but only use wyrmhole drives. In this sense, it's an either/or proposition. The drives in question are too big, too power-consuming and too expensive to be used jointly on any practical vessel. The Raumeni still possess a very clear superiority in tactical mobility, as such.

^ Top  
  13. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Self-Ejected
    Let's smoke them out in the open.
    This proxy war is getting on my nerves.
    I vote A, but if other councillors have good arguments I could change my mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Direct assault, subterfuge, or diplomacy....

I'm thinking diplomacy right now, we can always do a first contact with the Hin later, preferably when we're not already in a war(in case they prove hostile).

So C.

^ Top  
  15. TNO Augur

TNO
    I thank the hawks on this council for dragging us into a war we need not fight. We shall see if we profit from this military misadventure.

Given the circumstances, B. Let us see what the aliens are playing at.

^ Top  
  16. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
    Why does debugging always take so long? The Hin'in seem like kinda cool guys pitting the Raumen against each other and all. So i'm kind of in the same position as Jack, leaning towards A, but i can be reasoned with.

^ Top  
  17. praetor Arcane

praetor
    i, too, want to see the Hin'in playing cards.

B

^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Ah well, if sitting neutral and selling to ALL doesnt work, we must change to 'divide and conquer' strategy.

Back channels talk... we dont have enough intel to be sure that we can talk to them. Are they merely provoke fight within Raumen in order to weaken them for future wars? Or did they intend that for us too?

The short and decisive option beckon me, so I am naturally suspicious. Perhaps this is the exact kind of ambush I am afraid of. Perhaps if we send our fleet straight in we will get hammer so hard that direct involvement is inevitable. Our public will not allow us to pull out after so much blood has been poured out.

In the end, the guise of diplomacy and realpolitik call upon me. A divived Raumen work in our favours. Let's consolidate our gains, pretend that we dont know about hiin, and call upon the tradition Greed motivation. THEN in the table we could point out the Hiin involvement. IF they believe us, we might organize a coalition fleet to smash the enemies, thereby reduce Raumen's total strength in the whole. If they dont, maybe we can set up further groundwork for future wars and peaces. Beside, using bugs to fight bugs make me laugh.

^ Top  
  19. Heechee Liturgist

Heechee
    B

More intel on the Hin'in should be of the highest priority. Maybe they could be offered informal division of the Raumeni territory in two spheres of influence - Codexian and Hin'inian.

^ Top  
  20. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Sounds strangely similar to what some of us want.

^ Top  
  21. Maria Novice

Maria
    Without a doubt B, if we engage in an all out attack on the raumeni they'll unite against us and tear us a new one.

Let's do what we do best, gather info before we use it against the enemy!

^ Top  
  22. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]
    Another day in the council...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Well, we are already committed. I did not vote for such but since we are in, having lost thousands of lives and dozens of ships, I suggest we finish this once and for all and make Raumeni our vassals.

A!

Crush the Four Suns, flush Hin'in to the open and cursh them as well! Full mobilization - this arm of the Galaxy will belong to Codexia for good!

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Option B.

Let's try and see what these Hin'in are up to, try to get them to talk. Committing to full scale war might indeed unite the other clans in a direct assault against Codexia itself, and we'd rather they continue keeping their focus on their own kind.

^ Top  
  25. wjw Augur

wjw
    We must spy the shit out of our enemies. Then plant a cloacked ship next to their home planet and bombard it will a kazillion nuclear bombs.

B!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.