Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

juggernaut

Educated
Option A for the beginning of the war, but maybe we can jump in later?

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Blood is thicker than water.
When several brothers fight you don't intervene.. unless you want to get your ass kicked by the whole bunch.
Trade will decrease, but we have enough gold in the treasure chest to survive the hit. We even could build some more warships in the meantime. *eg*
but maybe we can jump in later?
Why not? :)

Totally A.

taplonaplo

Scholar
juggernaut said:
Option A for the beginning of the war, but maybe we can jump in later?
That was my first reaction as well.
That is no question that next chapter of Codexia's conquest is about to begin, but i don't know whether get into business right away, or let them weaken themselves first.
I'm afraid the jewbugs may realize what our intentions are and stop the conflict prematurely if we did not intervene which would be disastrous, since we neither get the tactical advantage and damage our economy, and preparing for war during that time would just make them even more suspicious. On the other hand the spoils of war would provide a nice economic input, and the less clans the better, but i guess our allied Raumen aren't that dumb not to realize that their asses are on the line pretty fast.
Damned jewbugs, they even screw with our heads when we are about to wipe them out... can't stand it anymore, Option C!

Frau Bishop

Erudite
y3jMC.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Frau Bishop made a telling point: Blood is thicker than water. Perhaps it would be dangerous to intervene.

The second point I invite ladies and gentlemen to consider is this: The Raumeni is very rigorous in their conduct. The 1st war between us and them is in fact a market competition goes a little too much beyond boundary. To them it's nothing more than some business-as-usual behaviours, which is why only 2 clans involved and not all clans. Which is to say this recent civil war is nothing more than a bigger version of that. PLease imagine a US political debates with weapons allowed. A ham-handed intervention from outsiders will be rude to the extreme, and might well invite the wraths of all of them.

So I vote A: staying neutral. Barring further intelligence on our neighbour, I doubt I will change my mind.

laclongquan

Arcane
When we stay A nothing prevent us selling arms to ALL sides. Flashback to World War One and Two, isnt all participants were heavily indebted to US due to arm sales?

And this also is a chance to observe their techs in action. Let see how much did they advance since our war. [Intelligence] Did they still use FTL only with no improvement? Did they use our very own wyrmhole techniques anywhere?

And for the revenge faction, do remember that if this is a real war, nothing prevent us pile on them when the dust clear. After a lengthy civil war their resources will be badly depleted. Oh they got a veteran fleet, but logistics and supply decide mostly who win the war.

Stay and watch, whistling "here come the sun, lal la la la...."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They are so weak that they won't pose much more of a challenge than the Phyr after the dust settles. No point attacking them if the fight isn't going to be tough. :smug:

laclongquan

Arcane
Spoken like a true member of War faction.

However, I am of a cheater persuasion. My idea of a good fight is a 5 to 1 odds, superior techs, superior training level of men, superior tactics. IT's why I consider our short victorious war with the bear a textbook case.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
We beg for clarifications from The Barbarian.

On which question, in particular?

btw, it's like what? 7 in the melbourne? . Another basement dwelling , got no life nerd at charge... don't you ever sleep?

Indeed, the Barbarian has very little life on Wednesday mornings. He has work, instead. And he felt bad about not updating twice in the twenty-four hour period, as he said he would.

laclongquan

Arcane
What does "stay neutral' mean? Dont take side in that conflict? still selling arms to all sides? what?

And even if stay neutral mean no trading, this is still a chance to regain the domestic market share that was dominated by Ruamen goods.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
What does "stay neutral' mean?

In this case, 'stay neutral' means exactly that: no involvement of any kind. So, no economic support for any faction, no arms dealing, no military intervention or political backing. It's a 'wait and see' approach.

And even if stay neutral mean no trading

There is still a significant volume of trade in civilian goods, but it has been very badly affected by the conflict.

On this note, if the voting body feels it needs more information to make a decision, the Barbarian will allow you to field all the questions that you would ostensibly have answers to, were you actually roaming the game setting.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
[...]It's a 'wait and see' approach.

Hmmm.. not sure if that approach is defined well enough. Just waiting like...

NuTID.jpg

... no!

But scanning battle results, scouting some nearby floating debris and keeping border patrols at max - while directing taxes right to the warfactories..

BerAj.jpg

Yea, that would be option A

Angthoron

Arcane
I'd say stay out of the whole affair. Interventions in civil wars are pretty much never appreciated by the warring factions - even the ones that receive the benefit of being intervened on the behalf of.

Let's just watch. After the war, they'll need tons of resources to rebuild and guess who'll provide them :smug:

Option A.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can't decide. If we do nothing, a anti-human faction might wind up winning. If we act, we will lose precious resources. But their race will be in debt to us for a long time.

TNO

Augur
Let them enter a crippling civil war, wait for a couple of decades when they demilitarize to overcome the huge peace deficit, then invade. Letting them buy stuff is no good if we plan to invade, and picking a fight with them now risks them rallying against us when they're on a war footing.

A.

Radisshu

Prophet
TNO said:
Let them enter a crippling civil war, wait for a couple of decades when they demilitarize to overcome the huge peace deficit, then invade. Letting them buy stuff is no good if we plan to invade, and picking a fight with them now risks them rallying against us when they're on a war footing.

A.

Hm, yes. Comparable to US - Iraq relations...

If we actually go there and fight right away rather than help them financially, though, the same problems might not emerge.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
MWAHAHAHA
clenched_fist.jpg

Finally a chance to kill some bugs.
Even if I rather take them all on at the same time I guess that will have to wait.
I vote C!
The remaining bugs will be exterminated when the war is won.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Looks like we're going for the easy pickings road again... Oh Codexia, you dark-hearted opportunist.

The few councillors who have voted to merely provide material aid to clans of our choosing, I ask of you to reconsider your decision. Are you for or against intervention? Will you stand by while the greatest opportunity we may ever get against the Raumen Confederacy fizzles out? Throw in your support with our side and we may yet reach a compromise, if you are worried about the effect war will have on our economy.

After all, we do not need to engage in total war with the other clans. Merely hiring out our fleets as 'mercenaries' so that they may gain experience combating the Raumen would be sufficient. If the Raumen query our involvement, we can simply say that we were offered a great bid for our services in the war - and if the other clans wish to dispute this they may tender an opposing bid.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But the Raumen will also get experience fighting us, treave. And we have made more advances technologically than they have since the last war, so their intel is the more outdated. But even so, after giving it careful thought, I've come to a decision. We should manipulate events into our favor through any means possible.

Let's just hope the bug clans we don't help won't unite against us.

C

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With the amount of pro-Raumen senators milling around, I find it hard to believe they do not have up-to-date intel on our capabilities.

Furthermore, they know how we fight - we use Wyrmholes to attack strategic points and throttle their war effort. We have not seen a need to change those tactics. Discovering defects in our strategies will require testing them, and I don't mean armchair testing in the War Room. In this case, it is safer to test them against the Raumen rather than, say, the Turanei. We may even secretly develop new tactics and ways of battling the Raumen.

Still, all in all the experience I was referring to would be more along the lines of battle-hardening our brave men and women of the fleet. The Raumen, after all, engage in regular internecine skirmishes and raids, but we don't fight unless there is an external enemy.

laclongquan

Arcane
All the more reasons to wait.

I am not convinced this war is as serious as it appears. And go to war with them while the whole civilization is up in arms is very very dangerous.

I dont mind brave actions but I do mind reckless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom